Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I advise playing good game Alan Wake 2 like a normal person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Played Alan wake 2 for the first time recently, each chapter ending with a theme song summary that also hints at future developments is insanely good. I love the gimmick of the stage I’m on where Alan can mix and match plot points to change the level itself plus all the detective wall poo poo you can do, just awesome. Probably the most intelligent and creative “auteur game” not made by a guy named Kojima I’ve played in a long long time, they def earned those narrative and writing awards.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
For me videogames are pretty much disposable, I will very rarely (almost never) replay a game, especially not the current 60 hour long releases. So if Sony shows up and deletes all my old games....I would honestly not care. I know I'm part of the problem.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

haveblue posted:

They tried this with the Xbox One and got laughed out of E3. But you're right that a lot of games are basically unplayable without a critical download, so they are effectively digital already

I have no intention of ever selling a game, so resale value doesn't really matter to me, and I like the console being able to access everything I have ever or will ever play just by pressing controller buttons (or even telling it to prepare a game for later with my phone)

I do really like telling my PS5 to download a game for me when I'm out for work or whatever else.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I advise playing good game Alan Wake 2 like a normal person

It's the exception that proves the rule! Or something. Like a Dragon Gaiden also. But I want discs

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Volte posted:

That just means you can't buy it. It doesn't mean you can't play it if you already bought it digitally.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/02/playstation-is-deleting-tv-shows-players-paid-for-thanks-to-warner-bros/

Seems like they backpedaled later and people will enjoy those for "up to 30 months" more lol

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/playstation-will-not-delete-discovery-tv-shows-after-all

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The assertion that most physical games are just a product key is just factually incorrect as well despite Mr “Excited for Suicide Squad” Hootington’s assertion. There’s literally a website that tracks this:

https://www.doesitplay.org

These are the stats for PS5 alone

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The assertion that most physical games are just a product key is just factually incorrect as well despite Mr “Excited for Suicide Squad” Hootington’s assertion. There’s literally a website that tracks this:

https://www.doesitplay.org

These are the stats for PS5 alone

Don't people mean more that they don't play off the disc (i.e. once they are installed then the disc is just used as a check that it's still present)? That is true with a larger set of games I think? Like, and to be clear that's a nice feature - but I wish they played without the disc in. The ideal for me would be that you could install from the disc and then never have to put the disc in again unless you needed to reinstall it.

Resi 4 Remake is on that list as OK but when I'm playing that I can hear that the disc isn't going round.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

lines posted:

Don't people mean more that they don't play off the disc (i.e. once they are installed then the disc is just used as a check that it's still present)?

I think people’s assertion is that the disc is literally just a code used to tell a server to download the game files, which is incorrect. That website shows that an incredibly vast majority includes the game files to install. Games haven’t been played off of discs for actual decades and it would be a weird thing to complain about.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lines posted:

Don't people mean more that they don't play off the disc (i.e. once they are installed then the disc is just used as a check that it's still present)? That is true with a larger set of games I think? Like, and to be clear that's a nice feature - but I wish they played without the disc in. The ideal for me would be that you could install from the disc and then never have to put the disc in again unless you needed to reinstall it.

Resi 4 Remake is on that list as OK but when I'm playing that I can hear that the disc isn't going round.

I’m pretty sure even going back to the PS4 that games never play right off the disc anymore, they’re basically just a way for the console to install the game without the internet, and it all goes onto the console’s hard drive.

The disc itself only serves as a license check at that point, which is why what you want will literally never happen.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Didn't care for FF7Remake. Way too Marvel-esque and bloated. Enjoying Crisis Core so far though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Didn't care for FF7Remake. Way too Marvel-esque

do not use English again until I tell you it’s okay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

do not use English again until I tell you it’s okay

me, to an RPG's audio settings

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely am struggling to think of what is Marvelsque about FF7R

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Cloud shimmies through a crack in the wall. "Well, that happened!"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely am struggling to think of what is Marvelsque about FF7R

some people think that any attempts at levity come off like Whedon or Waititi wrote them

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
man who has never seen anything but Marvel movies: hmmmm, getting a lot of MCU vibes off this thread

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

MCU movies would be improved with more grunting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

I’m pretty sure even going back to the PS4 that games never play right off the disc anymore, they’re basically just a way for the console to install the game without the internet, and it all goes onto the console’s hard drive.

The disc itself only serves as a license check at that point, which is why what you want will literally never happen.

Pretty much. The disc is the transportation of the bytes from the store to your console, then the bytes are there. After that the disc only serves to prevent more than one concurrent play session per retail purchase

The Xbox One would have had some kind of disc revocation system so you really could remove and forget about the disc after install (and MS would be confident you didn't just give it to your friend who would also do that), but that was walked back before it shipped

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It is constant attempts. There is tons of useless dialogue that tries to make Avalanche wholesome Chungus'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is constant attempts. There is tons of useless dialogue that tries to make Avalanche wholesome Chungus'.

That is literally how the original game was written.

Also how Crisis Core is written.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're a lovable bunch of eco-terrorists, don't really see the problem here.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally how the original game was written.

I played it again last month. It is not.

Dewgy posted:

man who has never seen anything but Marvel movies: hmmmm, getting a lot of MCU vibes off this thread

I've seen two.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wouldn't that be chunguses?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
poo poo I just realized I am posting in a thread that liked Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2. Never mind.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Chungi

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I played it again last month. It is not.

In the original game Avalanche are a bunch of goofy characters. Jessie hits on Cloud repeatedly (to the point it's a joke she messes up on her ID because she was too hyper-focused), Wedge is Lol Fat The Joke and Biggs... exists. They run their terrorist organization out of a secret underground bunker beneath a bar they get to via pinball machine and Barrett, the 'most serious' of the plot, is consistent and constantly shown to be a completely goofy loving marshmallow of a man.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Marvelesque is anything I don’t like because I think I’m too sophisticated for it now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poo poo I just realized I am posting in a thread that liked Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2. Never mind.

ok holocaust joke guy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

irrespective of the actual quality of marvel banter, we clearly need to retire the phrase "marvel banter," which seems to here mean "a character who is making jokes and having fun"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

"Golden Shiny Wire of Hope" is MCU cringe and should never have been written in the game

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Yeah I know it won't, but I guess for me at that stage it's store the license in my PS account or store it on a disc, and personally I think I just find the former more secure. But costlier I guess (I don't buy many games).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heavy Metal posted:

It's the exception that proves the rule! Or something. Like a Dragon Gaiden also. But I want discs

You can get gaiden on disc, i have it on disc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lines posted:

How would you actually do that without making it so people couldn't just pass a disc around endlessly?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Didn't care for FF7Remake. Way too Marvel-esque and bloated. Enjoying Crisis Core so far though.

lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

me, to an RPG's audio settings

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

How would you actually do that without making it so people couldn't just pass a disc around endlessly?

Mk11 for ps5 does it, not sure how but it might be when you use the dlc codes. Its totally disc free now and i installed it from there and i get the ps4 version too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

IIRC the Xbox One plan involved a unique serial number on each disc* and a central licensing server that would associate a disc with a console. The first use of a disc would automatically be granted, every use after that would require the current console to explicitly revoke their license and deactivate their installed copy. Which was why they suggested that if you wanted to lend a game to a friend you both had to visit Gamestop to formalize the transfer, and why Sony made that viral video that killed the whole proposal

*how this would be done as part of the mass manufacturing pipeline I don't think they ever explained

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

I think that’s the main issue, yeah. And earlier attempts at doing this proved that this is exactly what happened. (Thinking specifically about the DLC disc for Fallout 3, which just let you install them and pass it on to somebody else, which was done all the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

You can get gaiden on disc, i have it on disc.

That's rad! I got it digital, haven't imported an out of region game since the Dreamcast days.