Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Megumi was already pretty gloomy and he’s gotta be pretty shell shocked from all the bullshit he’s endured. On top of just general depression, “the bath” is making everything harder too

Yeah they explained what the bath does for Sukuna but they don't really go into how it messes with the host.

Which is fine, I don't need everything explained but I guess that's gotta be a factor here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Megumi had the highest potential willpower in the series but sukuna bathed...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If only Megumi liked tall women with big asses he'd find the strength to live on

Also did Yuta get cleaved there? That looked like a solidly deep cut

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Angel should have just killed Meguna when she had the chance. Would have spared us from having to endure the Dismantle that cuts the world.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Nobara’s gonna pop up in a weakened capacity unable to attack but able to use resonance in a different way, this time resonating Megumi’s soul with a will to live. Believe it!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Is Sukuna just unkillable? He tanked Jacob's Ladder? Was it just that Megumi didnt want to unmerge so it didn't work? No matter how much his body is DISMANTLED he can use his most powerful attacks?? Maki save us

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm a bit confused because By all accounts after Yuta cut off Sukuna's lower left arm, he is then shown to stab into the lower right and then slice it off diagonally. With Rika restraining the upper pair, how did Sukuna manage to have a spare hand to shoot off this attack when he shouldn't have had the time to heal. He's no Hakari as we know

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
You're right, his lower left arm is still just a stump in the very last panel. Just the chant is sufficient now? Or maybe it was before. If this is the reality-slicer, that was only ever fired off between chapters so maybe it only needs the chant.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jerkface posted:

Is Sukuna just unkillable? He tanked Jacob's Ladder? Was it just that Megumi didnt want to unmerge so it didn't work? No matter how much his body is DISMANTLED he can use his most powerful attacks?? Maki save us

Jacob's Ladder maybe could've been enough to kill Sukuna if the blast had continued, but since the goal was to save Megumi they used it to further weaken him in prep for the final push with Yuji's soul punch. But Megumi had no will to reassert control over his body, and in the brief opening Sukuna seems to have managed to RCT one of his mouths and chant.

So here comes Maki with Plan D, the Split-Soul Katana.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah they explained what the bath does for Sukuna but they don't really go into how it messes with the host.

Which is fine, I don't need everything explained but I guess that's gotta be a factor here too.

It bathes the host in evil.

Anyway, I never got the impression that Megumi was particularly mentally strong, his breaking point already came.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

Jacob's Ladder maybe could've been enough to kill Sukuna if the blast had continued, but since the goal was to save Megumi they used it to further weaken him in prep for the final push with Yuji's soul punch. But Megumi had no will to reassert control over his body, and in the brief opening Sukuna seems to have managed to RCT one of his mouths and chant.

So here comes Maki with Plan D, the Split-Soul Katana.

I thought the point of jacob's ladder was to disable the cursed object that caused sukuna and megumi to merge. It wasn't just to kill Sukuna it was to separate them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jerkface posted:

I thought the point of jacob's ladder was to disable the cursed object that caused sukuna and megumi to merge. It wasn't just to kill Sukuna it was to separate them.

Oh, yeah. Then I suppose it briefly KO'd Sukuna but since they failed to awaken Megumi he just jumped right back into taking control of the body. The narrowed targeting scope might've even worked in his favor since it limited the damage to his incarnated form, else as Angel said it'd have fried his brain.

It's like how he managed to survive brief exposure to Unlimited Void because there's a fundamental disconnect between his soul and the body.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 16, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

It's both, but they planned to use it in a support role as just using it to destroy the cursed object would kill Megumi.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Yuta breaking teeth to rip out Sukuna's tongue from the belly mouth, Yuji vomiting blood as a weapon

this is gonna be spicy in the anime

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If there was ever a time for Nobara to make a comeback I think now would be it. Use her technique to enter the soul dimension with Yuji to help Megumi

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

It's just really gross, if someone took over my body and then took a dip in whatever the gently caress that was I wouldn't want my body back either.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's just really gross, if someone took over my body and then took a dip in whatever the gently caress that was I wouldn't want my body back either.

megumi is moving around shadow slime all the time, whats the difference between that and curse slime, he's a slime boy and he needs to face that fact :colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yuta I swear if you die before Maki kisses you I'm gonna be mad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerkface posted:

megumi is moving around shadow slime all the time, whats the difference between that and curse slime, he's a slime boy and he needs to face that fact :colbert:

This is what will save Megumi

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ngl I popped off extremely hard at Yuji weaponizing his blood

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Really great action, I agree this will look sick when it gets animated. This whole fight is going to get a lot of youtube AMVs dedicated to it when the animated version comes out. I feel like there might be a disconnect in episode and chapter length though, we're at 23 chapters but I'd estimate maybe 5-6ish episodes?

I'm really curious to see what Maki's katana does here. Sukuna seems like he might be worn down to a level where Maki is a pretty difficult match up on her own.

Also, Yuta does seem to have gotten cleaved but I think he can RCT from that, he's a lot healthier than Gojo was and Sukuna is a lot weaker. He might be out of the fight for awhile though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

Big music swell as Megumi slowly brings his hands up to sign

"I'm no Zenin...and I can't even call myself a jujutsu sorcerer anymore...I am slime man."

And the world falls into goo

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Omedetou

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tosk posted:

Really great action, I agree this will look sick when it gets animated. This whole fight is going to get a lot of youtube AMVs dedicated to it when the animated version comes out. I feel like there might be a disconnect in episode and chapter length though, we're at 23 chapters but I'd estimate maybe 5-6ish episodes?

I'm really curious to see what Maki's katana does here. Sukuna seems like he might be worn down to a level where Maki is a pretty difficult match up on her own.

Also, Yuta does seem to have gotten cleaved but I think he can RCT from that, he's a lot healthier than Gojo was and Sukuna is a lot weaker. He might be out of the fight for awhile though.

He can recover cuz rika can hold his two halves together.

By the logic of the setting Maki should have a katana that flat out ends sukuna but he has plot armor so who knows.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think this fight is close to over, but the narrator pointing out that Sukuna got got in a pretty embarrassing way by his standards makes me think the king of curses is gonna start gettin real ornery.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know what 'plot armor" is supposed to mean at this point.

If they've spent the entire series talking about a character being an unstoppable force of nature and he does, in fact, turn out to be an unstoppable force of nature, is that "plot armor"?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

lol this is so loving sick. the last handful of chapters have been incredible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

If they've spent the entire series talking about a character being an unstoppable force of nature and he does, in fact, turn out to be an unstoppable force of nature, is that "plot armor"?

It generally depends. If someone isn't stopped by something that, as written, should stop them, it can feel unsatisfying no matter how much they are built up, depending on how it is executed. A big part of someone being viewed as unstoppable is the excitement that comes once they are stopped, especially if it makes narrative sense.

Like to use a non-YYK example, one of the arcs of Dragon Ball Super has them fighting a dude who wished himself immortal. He was unstoppable and fused with an Evil Goku to become super duper unstoppable. Then Trunks, the put-upon dude, managed to pull together a sword of raw spirit and friendship and split him in two in what could have been an easy contender for coolest finish in Dragonball, but the next episode reveals he survived (because immortal). It left people feeling pretty unsatisfied because even as written it felt like it should have had more impact than none, despite the logic of the scene holding together.

I am not sure why a sequence involving a cool super sword that ends up meaning nothing comes to mind for JJK.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Maki is the setting connoisseur of cursed weapons and they had a month to collect the most appropriate cursed weapon on the entire planet from all of jujutsu, and it went through his heart with him having zero ability to defend against it. By all of the established rules of the setting the fight should be over. I guess you can argue that another established rule of the setting is that none of the established rules of the setting apply to sukuna.

I guess you could also argue that even taking a cursed weapon out of an inventory curse would have given too much notice to sukuna so Maki is stuck using boring old steel.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2024

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'd be pretty unsatisfied if this takes Sukuna out, but it should have some sort of heavy impact on him between the narration and the type of weapon he's getting hit with.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No Wave posted:

Maki is the setting connoisseur of cursed weapons and they had a month to collect the most appropriate cursed weapon on the entire planet from all of jujutsu, and it went through his heart with him having zero ability to defend against it. By all of the established rules of the setting the fight should be over. I guess you can argue that another established rule of the setting is that none of the established rules of the setting apply to sukuna.

I guess you could also argue that even taking a cursed weapon out of an inventory curse would have given too much notice to sukuna so Maki is stuck using boring old steel.

What makes you think he only has one heart

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gologle posted:

Yuta I swear if you die before Maki kisses you I'm gonna be mad

I read through jjk pretty fast and didn’t soak up all the details but… have these two characters even met?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

You're right, his lower left arm is still just a stump in the very last panel. Just the chant is sufficient now? Or maybe it was before. If this is the reality-slicer, that was only ever fired off between chapters so maybe it only needs the chant.

I haven't enjoyed the implementation of this new move. How Sukuna achieved it is perfectly valid and very smart on his part. But the usage is basically inconsistent or being glossed over so he can win when he needs too. I will never not harp on the fact that Gojo was caught off guard and if every other instance is to be weighed against that; Sukuna has to chant and then motion to deploy it. yet Gojo died without a reaction.

I guess the only way the current attack makes sense is if either: Sukuna managed to free his upper right hand from Rika since the POV show we got is clearly a right hand, but the next panels don't support that. Or maybe that diagonal slice didn't actually remove Sukuna's hand as the final page might indicate. But then, what did Yuta cut off with his sword buried in someone's arm like that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I read through jjk pretty fast and didn’t soak up all the details but… have these two characters even met?
JJK0. There's one page where panda implies Maki likes Yuta. The most load bearing page in JJK fandom history.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

They did in the movie/JJK0 and it's basically outright stated Maki is into Yuta.

Edit: poo poo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

2 million views: https://youtu.be/-7DAwKzBqYA?si=Gz4EjmQ9uMJjiaV0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuta is married!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yutas such a cutie

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Here lies Yuta, he never scored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Tosk posted:

it is a bit weird to me that this is the one time (excluding the offscreen with gojo i guess) he's used world dismantle without chanting it specifically after the first 3 incantations. i guess they've established he can alternatively use hand signs, but clearly he was able to use a mouth at that point.