Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Veotax posted:

The id's on bags are meaningless, sorry. It's stuff to do with tracking in the factories and poo poo, nothing useful outside of that context.

Hell, if a customer gets in contact and asks what a set a bag is from, we usually ask the handful of experts who can seemingly identify anything what it's from, rather than any databases or anything.

I'd just search BL for sets containing that modified 1x2 plate with the 2 clips in white, probably not a lot to look through and it'd be obvious from some of the other pieces what it is, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All righty, thanks. I'll have him crack the bags open and spread things out for a better pic so I can start combing bricklink.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

oh I think ziplocks will be a part of the overall system but as you say they don't cover everything. I think cups and drawer dividers are the next step. I'm trying not to go overboard and over-engineer this step. at worst I can dump the bags into new containers over time

at the moment I'm using the folding cardboard shipping box the eldorado fortress came in. so everything packs down to a nice little container and put into the under the couch storage. I want to say I have a spare toolbox somewhere with a tiered small parts shelf that would be good for a fast grab box for like clips and connectors

Costco sells these nice 12 x 18-ish stackable plastic bins I use for all my bulky stuff. I have a bin for each color, a bin for bulky technic pieces, etc. The biggest pain for me is baseplates, I just have a random pile off to the side.

smackfu posted:

https://youtu.be/hoYJ4MhjYko?si=IN9ydDXnIYoRnbSZ

TLDW summary: do not buy any rip-off sets

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

TLDW summary: do not buy any rip-off sets

I don't think that's accurate. I'd say be smart about the type of set you're buying, and maybe don't go to a knockoff if it has a lot of moving parts that you want to move correctly.

I got a knockoff Simpsons House as a gift and it wasn't perfect (and the minifigs were pretty hilarious) but I got to experience the build and I didn't have to pay ludicrous aftermarket prices for a retired set.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Bad Munki posted:

I was hoping to narrow down these seemingly otherwise uninteresting bags by those codes but I’m not finding that info anywhere, not sure if I’m just missing it or what.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=60047-1#T=P

Identified via the 4x5 window frames in dark bluish gray and this piece.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 14, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, sweet! That’s the same one we were also calling the best match. 👍

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

T3hRen3gade posted:

I don't typically venture into this subforum and had no idea there was a Lego megathread! I've been skimming through this beast for a week now and I love all of the pictures of everyone's collections and how people organize pieces, I'm taking notes. I figured I would share some of my own collection, and my pipe dream plan to build a city table that represents "Pop Culture New York" full of as many references to movies/TV set in NYC as possible.

Ultimately, my goal is to build a table to fit all the modulars in a full city block. Underneath the lip of the table I'd like to have an underhang that holds the train to represent the subway that goes around the entire table. I still need to remove the bed from the room so I can fit the eventual table in here, as it used to be a spare bedroom until I took it over and made it into my nerd cave/home office. I'm still playing with the layout but it would essentially look like this:

The "Ray's Occult Bookstore" is just the regular Bookshop set, but I had a local printer make me some replacement stickers and it's now Ray's bookstore from Ghostbusters 2. :3: I also really wish they sold the NYC taxi from the Daily Bugle as it's own set, because it's the perfect style and minifig size. I may end up finding the directions/piece list and order enough to make maybe 10 of them just to have some traditional NYC traffic. I've got a bunch of the Speed Champion cars and some general city vehicles to sprinkle in there as well.

I thought I was losing my mind when I built the Batcave Shadowbox. Two back-to-back steps in Book 4 (step 964/965) have an extra stud piece listed for the step that aren't used in the build, and I'd never seen an error in a Lego instruction book like that before. I kept staring at the sheet like it was a Magic Eye.

Absolutely love all the Ghostbusters gear and sets!! :swoon:

If you have access to a 3D Printer, potentially some ideas you might check out when you're looking to suspend Lego Train tracks:

Lego Train Bridge: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6453849

Lego train track ceiling brackets: https://www.printables.com/en/model/760320-lego-train-track-ceiling-brackets

I'm starting to look at potentially suspending some 9v lego track in my office, so just wanted to share some of the stuff I've stumbled across thus far!

On the topic of 3D printing, thought I'd share this stacking brick sorter I'm currently printing here as well, in case anyone is looking for something like that: https://www.printables.com/model/327900-stackable-lego-brick-sorter-sorting-box

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

On the topic of 3D printing, thought I'd share this stacking brick sorter I'm currently printing here as well, in case anyone is looking for something like that: https://www.printables.com/model/327900-stackable-lego-brick-sorter-sorting-box
[/quote]

If I had access to a 3D printer this would be great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

If I had access to a 3D printer this would be great.

Guarantee you can find it on etsy, there's an entire industry of people lifting models off the 3d printing sites and setting up online stores to sell the prints.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
There is a goon in SA mart that does cheap 3d printing. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931600 I’ve had them make a few wall mounts for some of my technic cars.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

Catatron Prime posted:

If you have access to a 3D Printer, potentially some ideas you might check out when you're looking to suspend Lego Train tracks:

Lego Train Bridge: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6453849

Lego train track ceiling brackets: https://www.printables.com/en/model/760320-lego-train-track-ceiling-brackets

I'm starting to look at potentially suspending some 9v lego track in my office, so just wanted to share some of the stuff I've stumbled across thus far!

Thank you for these, especially that second link... I hadn't even considered hanging the track under the table, I was more thinking about building essentially a "second ledge" underneath the tabletop and was dreading the logistics. THIS is a much more elegant solution and I will definitely be looking into these. It's sad, I have a degree in 3D animation/modeling and game art design and I still don't own a 3D printer, a shameful fact I need to rectify ASAP.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Don't forget to check local libraries, a lot of have 3d printers. But sadly, big wait lists to use them. That sorter looks cool...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Rumors of a DnD minifig series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/comments/1aqw93q/full_details_about_the_71047_dungeons_and_dragons/

Sounds rad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well I need all of those

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

T3hRen3gade posted:

Thank you for these, especially that second link... I hadn't even considered hanging the track under the table, I was more thinking about building essentially a "second ledge" underneath the tabletop and was dreading the logistics. THIS is a much more elegant solution and I will definitely be looking into these. It's sad, I have a degree in 3D animation/modeling and game art design and I still don't own a 3D printer, a shameful fact I need to rectify ASAP.

A ledge would be pretty awesome to build out a subway diorama, or even whole underground complete with the old Rock Raiders sets!

But yeah, that would be a pretty good project just to cobble a ledge like that together. You probably already have plenty of ideas, but if you're scratching your head it might not be too hateful to build something with plywood, a circular saw, drill & pocket screw jig. I've found these rip cut guides or straight edge clamped down to a sheet of plywood are great for ripping it down into smaller strips, and these pocket screw jigs are a godsend for easily connecting up stuff at 90 degree angles. Slice some 8" strips of plywood, screw em together at a right angle, and screw that structure up underside the table with the pocket hole jig. You could miter the angles as well to make the pieces fit together nicely for more rounded corners, or just leave a floating gap on small sections to get the curve you want, and potentially brick up or cover the gaps with some felt or something.

Also probably a thousand better ways of doing it, just first thing that comes to my mind :)

Also on the subject of completely unsolicited advice, if you're looking at getting a 3D printer, the Bambu P1S is absurdly good! I've been beating my head against with wall with lovely cheap rear end printers for almost a decade now, and this is the first one that just... works, and works stupidly well. Pull it out of the box, unscrew the shipping brackets, plug it in, load up a spool of PLA, hit print, and ten minutes later you've got a strong, dimensionally accurate part.

I'm completely flabbergasted, especially compared to the Creality printer I had before that was an endless cycle of tweaks, upgrades, troubleshooting, and poo poo firmware compounded by a bad sd card slot. I've been printing with this Bambu almost 24x7 for the past few months now, and I can probably count the number of times I've had to troubleshoot stuff with one hand. And pretty much every one is those instances were because I ignored adding supports despite the slicer's warnings, had fingerprints on the build plate (printed too close to the edge I grab the plate by), or using a PLA filament that I didn't realize had abrasive glow in the dark flecks that wore out a groove in the AMS feed guide (printed a better AMS feeder guide to fix the issue and prevent it from happening again).

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well I need all of those

Somehow I have avoided the whole minifig craze... but if they do a D&D series, I'm screwed.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That is a LOT of new molds if true. Kind of interesting, since the knockoff makers haven't figured out the Rivendell molds almost a year after release, so these might be incredibly in demand for a while.

Hell, I'd like to get a ton of them just for my friend's d&d campaigns as figurines. Mix and match!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What the heck, my life has come full circle from trying to make custom Sarevok and Minsc as a child and looking at Saberscorpion's website on dial up. A Lego Planescape figure, pinch me?! It's a dream.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never bought just minifigs but a Lady of Pain lego is going to need to be in my hands asap please.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So, my family went to a Lego Jurassic World display at our local museum last night. It was pretty awesome.

Full album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSsBtLEBYFiDukMy9

As a super added bonus that I was not expecting, in the shop on the way out they had a couple of the Lego Insect Collection which I had completely given up on finding anywhere at non-scalper prices since it's been out of stock pretty much since launch. Just sitting there at RRP. So of course I bought it. I'm pretty stoked.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Snagged a Tallneck, more or less on the thread’s recommendations, for 40 bucks at Target.

Got my sweetheart the wild flowers to build with the kids.

Stocked some of the Mega Blocks single Pokémon-in-Pokéball for a rainy day w/ kiddos. Curious whether they’ll be fun to play with because the build will be over in 30 seconds.

Strangfort
Nov 8, 2023

I don't collect minifigs, but this might get me to start. That sounds rad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Micro Rocket Launchpad GWP is live in Australia.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Micro Rocket Launchpad GWP is live in Australia.

Goddddd I wish that Technic Space stuff launching March was on preorder now. There's not much I really want to hit that quite high total right now.

e: Launching 1st March, actually. I wonder what the odds are of preorders going live for that by the end of the window where the Micro Rocket Launchpad is the gift?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Any tips on the most cost effective way to build up a parts collection for MILS plating? Roads, ballasted train tracks, etc.

Outside of BrickLink I’m guessing the Pick a Brick wall if I can find one near me? Or maybe joining a LUGBulk group?

I’m in Maryland if it makes a difference.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That DnD figure series reportedly had alternate masculine and feminine faces on many of the figures. And there are no visible skin tones, so you can swap on a different head to look like your character. I dig it.
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1arqnyk

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Majin posted:

Any tips on the most cost effective way to build up a parts collection for MILS plating? Roads, ballasted train tracks, etc.

Outside of BrickLink I’m guessing the Pick a Brick wall if I can find one near me? Or maybe joining a LUGBulk group?

I’m in Maryland if it makes a difference.

If you're willing to clean your bricks FB marketplace, craigslist, garage sales, goodwill, etc, are probably your best bet for parts that you're specifically not going to be seeing after MILS. I've had middling luck with proper deals around me (CO), most of my bulk is from lucking out and winning a few big lots of SW sets without the minifigs on whatnot a year or two ago.

Oh yeah, it's not a timely suggestion, but Walmart runs some pretty nuts Classic brick box sales around/on Black Friday, usually around 50% off big boxes mainly filled with standard brick types. Costco clearance can be really good for MILS too, if they happen to carry the set, you're close enough to one to make the trip make sense, and you don't miss the post-season clearance discounts.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 16, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Got the micro rockets by basically doing all my lego purchases for the year at once.
Back orders, Pre orders, the only thing I couldn't still pre-order was the Fox/Owl.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish more of the F1 stuff was for preorder but I did get the Senna car. Also got the T-Rex skull and some other stuff to get to the limit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HootTheOwl posted:

Got the micro rockets by basically doing all my lego purchases for the year at once.
Back orders, Pre orders, the only thing I couldn't still pre-order was the Fox/Owl.

I went with the Tantive IV, Falcon, and three Brick Headz - I really don't like the look of the Invisible Hand, and each Brick Headz is another 20 VIP points, at least. :shrug:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

finished up the current iteration of the storage solution and decided to make some helper bots and a rover. I want some red 1x4's and 1x6's to make the top of the transport cleaner but it works for now. I need more pieces for doing greebling

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When preorder a set on the online Lego store, do you pay when you place the order or when the set is released?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They charge you when the thing ships, in the us at least. So like if you have preorder and non preorder in your order they just charge you for what’s in stock when it ships.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I went with the Tantive IV, Falcon, and three Brick Headz - I really don't like the look of the Invisible Hand, and each Brick Headz is another 20 VIP points, at least. :shrug:

FYI, most of the Brick Headz I've gotten recently did NOT have the scan able VIP point thing in the manual lol.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dogen posted:

They charge you when the thing ships, in the us at least. So like if you have preorder and non preorder in your order they just charge you for what’s in stock when it ships.

Same in the EU.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Decided to finish off another Peacekeeper variant, this time M-Tron

EDIT: and an Ice Planet, which didn't take much as the line is very similar in aesthetics to Space Police. The prison unit is now a survival/utility pod. The striped door is a nod to the striped garage door on the Deep Freeze Defender.

Group shot of the different variants.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 17, 2024

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:eyepop:

Hot drat those are some great looking MOCs!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

I ran into an issue last time I pre-ordered something because I used some of my points. It was too long until it shipped to me so my points expired and my order got canceled. I got in touch with customer service and they straightened it right out for me.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Decided to finish off another Peacekeeper variant, this time M-Tron

EDIT: and an Ice Planet, which didn't take much as the line is very similar in aesthetics to Space Police. The prison unit is now a survival/utility pod. The striped door is a nod to the striped garage door on the Deep Freeze Defender.

Group shot of the different variants.

This is incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Those are rad.