Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Man, I think Solo Leveling just makes me appreciate Shangri-La Frontier more. I'm way more into the goofy adventures of bird-head man and friends than this dreary leveling show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NuclearWinterUK posted:

Man, I think Solo Leveling just makes me appreciate Shangri-La Frontier more. I'm way more into the goofy adventures of bird-head man and friends than this dreary leveling show.

The end to last week's episode in SLF was so incredibly hype.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

This may not be germane to this season, but who cares? Next season, the third season of Laid-Back Camp comes on! I was recommended this series by doomrider7 and I need to catch up! Starting to watch S1 now and I like it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

The end to last week's episode in SLF was so incredibly hype.

It took a while to build up, but from the moment the fight first started it's been :discourse:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pan Dulce posted:

This may not be germane to this season, but who cares? Next season, the third season of Laid-Back Camp comes on! I was recommended this series by doomrider7 and I need to catch up! Starting to watch S1 now and I like it.

it's just so good!

S2 is very hit or miss but the movie is top notch

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pan Dulce posted:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NuclearWinterUK posted:

I have no regrets about waking up at/staying up 'til 5:30am to catch a new episode every week

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sb hermit posted:

it's just so good!

S2 is very hit or miss but the movie is top notch

Also, "Room Camp" which is a spin-off of the other supporting characters. I don't think it's as good as the main series, but it's still enjoyable.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Does it matter what order I see these in (S1-2, movie, and Room Camp)?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Watch the two seasons in order. Movie follows after, Room camp has no real canon importance.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're already doing a re-cap episode of solo leveling? Oof, I complained to some friends that the pacing was bad and the opening went on too long to actually start the show, this is not going to help.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Yea definitely it’s origin as a webtoon shows

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Azubah posted:

They're already doing a re-cap episode of solo leveling? Oof, I complained to some friends that the pacing was bad and the opening went on too long to actually start the show, this is not going to help.

Most anime that adapted from web novels or webtoon having huge pacing issues because web novels and webtoons have a completely different writing structure that adapts poorly to anime, and the anime ends up being paced too fast and too slow.

You might as well wait until it's over, see how the reaction was to it, and then binge it if you care enough.

A lot of the Solo Leveling discussions are full of source readers drowning in cope that people who aren't familiar with original source hate the pacing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just find the premise boring. You can do interesting things with the basic idea but solo leveling certainly does not spin straw into gold.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I read the comic, i was just expecting better pacing since they have a bunch of arcs they can adapt. It's not like an ongoing adaptation where they have to make some filler because they caught up.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think more than anything the various cut-ins of other characters have a weird effect on the show. Like you get a sense of the wider cast and world, but it feels questionable that any of it is going to cohere into stuff that matters for Jinwoo by the end of this season.

This is certainly less of an issue than how bad the writing has become already, but it's all at a level I find ignorable to just enjoy the production values.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Azubah posted:

I read the comic, i was just expecting better pacing since they have a bunch of arcs they can adapt. It's not like an ongoing adaptation where they have to make some filler because they caught up.

Does anyone even make filler anymore? These days it’s just putting years of gaps between seasons till people lose interest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's anime only content but it's usually bits inside of an episode like a fight scene. The days of filler only episodes are long over, pacing had gotten better.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I mean Pierrot is still doing the classic filler style with stuff like their Black Clover and Boruto adaptations. Otherwise it seems mostly limited to an episode or two a season like what MHA and KnY have done.

Nothing else coming to mind except maybe Super Crooks being half original content.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

don't know if it counts, but believe both seasons of Kakegurui makes up an anime original filler arc as its climax.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I need to watch Kakegurui again. What a weird, wild ride that was the first time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Boruto was always going to have a heavy amount of filler since it debuted immediately with the manga. It's more of a Dragonball super situation where they're separate canon rather than one being an adaptation of the other.

Black clover was another attempt at the always shonen and so of necessity was going to involve filler.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I think the anime industry really tried to see how far they could go with filler in shonen shows to see when they would actually start getting pushback. That really burned people out, and made the bar for what was an acceptable amount of filler way lower.

Naruto and Naruto Shippuden were both 41% filler

https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto

Bleach was 45% filler

https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/bleach

All three of those shows I dropped once they started going on stretches of filler because I got tired of waiting a week just to get more garbage.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think One Piece is the only prominent show that is streeeetching source material past the point of breaking at this point, which makes the fact that it's getting a second, ongoing adaptation while the original anime is still running high-llarious

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't made Spy Family into an ongoing concern, given it's popularity and it's format being 85% hijinks-of-the-week 15% plot progression. It could easily turn into a Detective Conan-esque show where the plot in both the manga and the anime are at a standstill while the parties involved just rake it in.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Current updates on poo poo I'm watching:

-Slow Life Frontier Season 2 is finally clicking with me. I wish there was less focus on Ruti, but I am okay with the direction it's going. It's got a good mix of chill vibes and creeping threats.

-I am shocked how disappointing Solo Leveling is. Like I remember that the beginning wasn't the best, but I figured they'd crowbar it into something watchable. This is just painful, it's the most generic manhwa exposition crammed into anime format and it's insufferable. I was praising the fight scenes but after Shangri-La's EXCELLENT loving fights, I don't even think what they have is that impressive. And we're about a tenth of the way through this story.
Even more mind-boggling is that I have people on social media going NUTS over this adaptation and I cannot understand why. The manhwa doesn't even start to get good for another 20 chapters ffs. Do you get like free weed with each episode if you live in a certain region?

-Shangri-La Frontier on the other hand made a sick transition into anime format, it's good, it's funny and I'm having a great loving time. The current fight felt lengthy but never to the point where it felt like it was trying to pad the runtime. All the characters ar pretty likable, the heroes actually make plans, aces aces aces.

-Level 99 Boss is okay. The show sorta has one joke and hopefully other characters start doing other stuff because it's wearing a little thin.

-7th Time Loop starts with the main character jumping off the palace balcony, sticking the landing and continuing to motor. In the latest episode she rails some emergency meds to fight off the chemicals she was drugged with, picks open her cell door and then beats up like 10 dudes with a dagger to escape/ Yes obviously this is good.
Also if y'all are into dancing with pretty boys this show got you covered, there's a wholeass sequence for it.

-Unwanted Undead Adventurer sorta loses a little something because the original art style was so moody, but it's nevertheless a solid fantasy show. It's kinda nice when everyone is just like A Good Dude, though I may say that because my brain is thoroughly isekai-poisoned.

-Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good and fun. Next few eps will make or break this show though because that's where the arc's major fight scene gonna start. spoiler: the black knight with glowing red eye sockets in the opening is in fact going to be a villain the protagonist fights.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Seraphic Neoman posted:

-Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good and fun. Next few eps will make or break this show though because that's where the arc's major fight scene gonna start. spoiler: the black knight with glowing red eye sockets in the opening is in fact going to be a villain the protagonist fights.

Aww, i was guessing the guy wearing spiked black armor worked in a pet shelter and spent his free time in a food hall for the homeless charity :( I hope the conflict evolves into something more than the usual "demons are bad, kill them" story, i think it's the weakest point of the series.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 18, 2024

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

-Shangri-La Frontier on the other hand made a sick transition into anime format, it's good, it's funny and I'm having a great loving time. The current fight felt lengthy but never to the point where it felt like it was trying to pad the runtime. All the characters ar pretty likable, the heroes actually make plans, aces aces aces.

-Level 99 Boss is okay. The show sorta has one joke and hopefully other characters start doing other stuff because it's wearing a little thin.

-Unwanted Undead Adventurer sorta loses a little something because the original art style was so moody, but it's nevertheless a solid fantasy show. It's kinda nice when everyone is just like A Good Dude, though I may say that because my brain is thoroughly isekai-poisoned.

-Shangri-La has definitely been one of the highlights for me. They've done a fantastic job of translating both the style and the humor of the manga to the anime, and I'm loving every minute of it.

-Level 99 Boss is about to start adding in some additional elements, but honestly it will never let go of its' one joke.

-Unwanted Undead Adventurer is in a bit of a weird place. I loved the novels and the anime is doing a good job of bringing them to life, but it's a bit of a slow burn since there's nothing really major pushing the plot forward. Still a very solid fantasy show, with blessedly little LitRPG elements.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think a factor behind most shonen adaptations going seasonal is that so much more anime is being made now and there's not too much more people to make it, so it doesn't make sense to tie one team down on one show year round forever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think a factor behind most shonen adaptations going seasonal is that so much more anime is being made now and there's not too much more people to make it, so it doesn't make sense to tie one team down on one show year round forever

I think One Piece and Detective Conan are some of the last surviving remnants of the old days in that regard (Boruto too I guess whenever they decide to finally bring the anime adaptation back)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm going to watch Metallic Rouge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFrOK-kIfI

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Current updates on poo poo I'm watching:

-Slow Life Frontier Season 2 is finally clicking with me. I wish there was less focus on Ruti, but I am okay with the direction it's going. It's got a good mix of chill vibes and creeping threats.

-I am shocked how disappointing Solo Leveling is. Like I remember that the beginning wasn't the best, but I figured they'd crowbar it into something watchable. This is just painful, it's the most generic manhwa exposition crammed into anime format and it's insufferable. I was praising the fight scenes but after Shangri-La's EXCELLENT loving fights, I don't even think what they have is that impressive. And we're about a tenth of the way through this story.
Even more mind-boggling is that I have people on social media going NUTS over this adaptation and I cannot understand why. The manhwa doesn't even start to get good for another 20 chapters ffs. Do you get like free weed with each episode if you live in a certain region?

-7th Time Loop starts with the main character jumping off the palace balcony, sticking the landing and continuing to motor. In the latest episode she rails some emergency meds to fight off the chemicals she was drugged with, picks open her cell door and then beats up like 10 dudes with a dagger to escape/ Yes obviously this is good.
Also if y'all are into dancing with pretty boys this show got you covered, there's a wholeass sequence for it.

I never got into Solo Leveling even when it was the biggest thing from Korea in the internet since Gangam Style, but everything I've read makes it sound like the most generic isekai thing ever, but with better art and color...which I guess explains WHY it got so big at all. I legit don't know how it's rated higher than SLF on MAL since SLF is just KILLING IT with this adaption.

Legit enjoying Undead Adventurer. It's a little eh with the animation in a few places and agree that said animation can't quite capture the art due to budget limitations, but the rest carries and quite well at that. I especially love that the guild isn't just there to mark off a thing from a checklist, but is an actual organization with actual rules, regulations, and certification exams. Makes it feel more realistic. And I agree about the nice guy vibes which ALSO feel more realistic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Solo Leveling is also super similar to I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too in many ways with a bunch of other cliches mixed in (family member with an unnamed wasting disease he's desperate to cure, a hero registration org which is way too slow to realise the OP protag is a special case, etc)

It's still slightly above average, just go watch the big fight in the latest episode of A Tank with a Rare 9999 Resistance Skill Got Kicked from the Hero's Party if you need to be reminded what a generic low budget fantasy fight looks like. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it started or at least popularized many of those cliches, but that fact doesn't make the cliches more engaging.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ishura ep6
all the random plot points seem to finally start converging

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Solo Leveling looks really good both in webtoon and anime forms. The fights come off well. Otherwise its meh.

Compared to A Returners Magic the anime adaptation is vastly better looking and higher quality sound, editing etc despite both being average isekai stories.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Undead Adventurer would be much better without whatever is going on with the soundtrack. Its like the entire show has the ambient music of a haunted house for children

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Liked the Returners Magic adaptation better, maybe because it has a more rounded support cast, wheres Solo Leveling is well....very Solo and will continue to do so

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm going to watch Dog Puncher

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah its this. Even if filler is cheap it still requires a team. Animators are stretched so thin that keeping some on Filler Duty instead of just giving the show a year break makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Same reason shonen movies dont come out yearly anymore, for the most part