Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ruh roh raggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

How long do you think that's gonna get animated for

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not long enough

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpsEdM74maA

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

there will be a lot of empty space as it zooms in on the back of his head and then the camera will rotate for like ten seconds towards the front of his face before snapping to the expression which will then zoom in 4 times with a gong sound effect each time and then linger there for about 5 seconds as his mouth opens a little bit more and then there will be a second shot where he expresses shock through a lot of body movement while saying something unique to the anime. also every character will have a reaction shot like franky afterwards.

so, 2 minutes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

1 full episode and then half the following episode as a recap

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

anime was right posted:

there will be a lot of empty space as it zooms in on the back of his head and then the camera will rotate for like ten seconds towards the front of his face before snapping to the expression which will then zoom in 4 times with a gong sound effect each time and then linger there for about 5 seconds as his mouth opens a little bit more and then there will be a second shot where he expresses shock through a lot of body movement while saying something unique to the anime. also every character will have a reaction shot like franky afterwards.

so, 2 minutes.

The lighting and color palette will be good so no one will acknowledge how hosed the pacing of it was.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the panel of Dawn Gatling's final hit so much

Gear 5 rules

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

In an entire chapter of gold, this was the diamond.

And hey, Zoro cut one of Queen's laser's in half back in Wano. This is just One Piece logic. You train hard enough, soon you can cut\kick\punch whatever you like. Just wait until Nika challenges the abstract concepts of Time\Space themselves to a fistfight.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Looks like Kizaru is done. Spoilers for the most recent chapter, obvs

https://streamable.com/9xerfh

I had this same thing in my head at that point. "What the gently caress is Wano?!"

I seriously love the interaction between Bonney and G5 Luffy this chapter. The just child-like argument of "your punch sucked" "oh yeah you do better", and his cartoon physics. And with what we know of Bonney's powers, I'm sure her using her own version of that same move will come up soon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure why it's striking me as remarkable, but Lucci is as strong as an admiral now, right? Considering he's fighting Zoro to a stand still (maybe even leading a little) and Zoro's stronger than Sanji, and Sanji just made Kizaru piss himself a little?

Then again deflecting a single kick isn't the same thing as a victory. But I'm surprised Lucci is still running around doing skullduggery nonsense after all this years if he's grown proportionately stronger since the timekskip. Maybe he just really likes the job?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure why it's striking me as remarkable, but Lucci is as strong as an admiral now, right? Considering he's fighting Zoro to a stand still (maybe even leading a little) and Zoro's stronger than Sanji, and Sanji just made Kizaru piss himself a little?

Then again deflecting a single kick isn't the same thing as a victory. But I'm surprised Lucci is still running around doing skullduggery nonsense after all this years if he's grown proportionately stronger since the timekskip. Maybe he just really likes the job?

Sorry but agenda dictates that Lucci is a bum above all else. This means currently Sanji is indeed stronger than Zoro, and Zoro is currently a gigantic fraud (taking after his master)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Back in Enies Lobby he made clear that he liked the violence part of the job and not so much the pretend to be friends with people for five years stuff, so he probably loving loves his new job.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

Eh, one thing I've always liked about One Piece is that it's always been fine with having plenty of strong folk out there outside of any power structure it's developed. That's why it worked when they brought in two new people (unknown to the readers at the time) to be admirals after the time skip. It's never felt contrived when other powerful individuals show up, like in the Dressrosa tournament, cause the world is a big place and full of wonderful characters.

Lucci has been long sent up as a prodigy of martial arts, and he's the strongest of the Government's super super secret assassination department. It makes sense he'd be no slouch.

The other nice thing about One Piece has been though that "Power Levels" as such have always been a bit nebulous. It makes sense for the story for those two to be fighting right now, it's a good moment having someone that was once the big villain of another arc now no longer on the same level as the protagonist, and Sanji getting a moment like that is great for showing off that "the two arms of the future Pirate King" are right where they need to be power wise.

Even if you wanted to say that in an allout fight to the death, they couldn't defeat an Admiral on their own yet, they're still now at the point where they can't be so easily brushed aside. Kizaru just can't lightspeed kick them all away like he did make in Sabody anymore, it's always going to be a fight to put them down.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

OnimaruXLR posted:

again lucci is stalling/defending. hes fighting not to lose/buy time. zoro fought two yonko for a while. usopp held his own against luffy. being stronger doesnt mean an instant win if the gap isnt massive. power is somewhat dynamic based on the goals of the character and the environment their in.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know I'm pretty new to OP but having just read and watched everything, it seems like power is nonsense and fights just happen however is convenient to serve the plot and timing of events

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I could believe Lucci is as strong as an admiral at this point. Sure Gear 5 dumpstered him pretty quickly, but I think Kizaru only did as well as he did against Luffy because he was able to use Egghead’s laser defenses in his favor

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Potato Salad posted:

I know I'm pretty new to OP but having just read and watched everything, it seems like power is nonsense and fights just happen however is convenient to serve the plot and timing of events

yeah but oda almost always uses some kind of justification/logic in-narrative to do this because hes actually a smart writer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Potato Salad posted:

Welcome to fiction.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

You're describing DBZ. Like, yes, ultimately everything happening is convenient to serve the plot because that's what storytelling is – but OP's world building around this stuff in particular is uniquely consistent from pretty early on.

Second half of the story has largely been about the crew growing enough to be able to topple the emperors, and the looooooooong journey to that is what makes it stand out imo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oda setting a power cap really early in the story with mihawk was one of the smartest things he did

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to fiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_zFYnnn2Y

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Still gonna laugh at Zoro struggling with a bum cause I want to push the agenda

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah pretty much, in the current state of the story it's incredibly stupid that the highest level of government assassins had zero haki users until like 1 year ago. But we ignore dumb powerscaling minutia like that because hot drat that guy just kicked a laser.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nice av

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
There's probably just also a practical element of "I need a reason to keep these two heavy hitters busy off screen" going on too. Hell, use that as an in-universe reason too if you like. Both Zoro and Lucci could tip the scales for their side, they need to be kept away from the action.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I guess Zoro did get some really badass fights in Wano including facing down two warlords, so sitting out an arc fighting only the awakened form of a previous mega-villain is a fair tradeoff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

anime was right posted:

oda setting a power cap really early in the story with mihawk was one of the smartest things he did
Marineford was also good for establishing the top dogs of the pirates and the navy and their place in the world, something that post-timeskip has consistently respected.

Ryaomon posted:

Yeah pretty much, in the current state of the story it's incredibly stupid that the highest level of government assassins had zero haki users until like 1 year ago. But we ignore dumb powerscaling minutia like that because hot drat that guy just kicked a laser.
You could argue CP9 were more about infiltration and that they weren't really supposed to get into a massive pitched battle like they did at Enies Lobby (that happened mainly because Spandam refused to call from help from the navy) - they learn Rokushiki instead of Haki since it's more useful for sneaking around and picking people off. But yeah there's some pre-timeskip stuff that's hard to explain (why are the Enies Lobby guards so weak in general? Why is Reverse Mountain basically unmanned in spite of being an incredibly critical chokepoint? How did Crocodile lose to Luffy when he did?) that you can mostly chalk up to the story hugely expanding in scope as it was being written.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 18, 2024

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The only time this series has ever presented actual hard-number power levels, Lucci was the top scorer.

Therefore, we have more evidence for him being the strongest fighter in the world than anyone else :v:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I like when the anime remembers "Creepy Robin"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

incorrect. fights happen at roughly the same point in every arc, namely the climax; the plot and timing of events are adjusted to emphasize and justify the fights. the level of power the fighters have is usually shorthand for their emotional stakes in the story

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Valentin posted:

so sanji presumably blocks/refracts that light with his invisibility somehow, right?

I hate to ruin the power of love, but in the panel he says that, his eyebrow is reversed. Which also happened in Wano when he was relying on his family's powers.

Also, reposting

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Marineford was also good for establishing the top dogs of the pirates and the navy and their place in the world, something that post-timeskip has consistently respected.

You could argue CP9 were more about infiltration and that they weren't really supposed to get into a massive pitched battle like they did at Enies Lobby (that happened mainly because Spandam refused to call from help from the navy) - they learn Rokushiki instead of Haki since it's more useful for sneaking around and picking people off. But yeah there's some pre-timeskip stuff that's hard to explain (why are the Enies Lobby guards so weak in general? Why is Reverse Mountain basically unmanned in spite of being an incredibly critical chokepoint? How did Crocodile lose to Luffy when he did?) that you can mostly chalk up to the story hugely expanding in scope as it was being written.

Re: Reverse Mountain, manning it was basically Smoker's job. (Presumably there are other Marines who guard the entrances to the Grand Line from the other Blues). The anime screws this up by putting a filler arc between Loguetown and Reverse Mountain, but the manga gives the impression that they're very close. As for Crocodile, I tend to assume he got weaker after losing to Whitebeard, then got back in shape in prison after losing to Luffy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bisse posted:

I guess Zoro did get some really badass fights in Wano including facing down two warlords, so sitting out an arc fighting only the awakened form of a previous mega-villain is a fair tradeoff.
Egghead isn't really an arc that's trying to highlight the crew anyway. Sure, everyone is getting a great moment or two for a couple panels, but the concept of Zoro getting to take care of Lucci is honestly what passes for a highlight here. I wouldn't say he's sitting out at all, compared to the rest of the crew.

I'm honestly glad that Sanji is getting a moment of comparable impact by kicking away Kizaru's laser.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nope sorry, you're wrong. Sanji's star is rising while Zoro's is falling. That's what you get for training under the world's strongest fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
We had a chapter this week and everything and yet still the power level debate rages on...