Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol james shilling products he doesnt know anything about ftw

Do you think the Avgn has ever used a VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

i think it is possible to write a story where children are hurt or exploited or objectified without it being hosed up to enjoy it, but ofc the difference is in if they are having those things done to them in universe to make a point or if its for the audiences or authors enjoyment. and sometimes that can be a bit hard to define but i think a good litmus test is how many panels involve staring directly at a child's rear end

The author has straight up admitted to being turned on by very creepy stuff. So no interpretation is really needed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Do you think the Avgn has ever used a VPN.

i think he knows how to use a vpn because of netflix but he doesnt know what raid shadow legends is

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think I'm just going to go finish watching Spy x Family.

Question. Is the x pronounced? Or is it just called "Spy Family" when spoken out loud. Same with Hunter x Hunter I guess.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

gas thread and reboot with "no anime youtubers (Except Kenny Lauderdale)" rule

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AVGN trying to watch a show on BBC iPlayer and getting region blocked: "rear end!!!!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Garrand posted:

Question. Is the x pronounced? Or is it just called "Spy Family" when spoken out loud. Same with Hunter x Hunter I guess.

Hunter x Hunter is officially pronounced "Hunter Hunter" op.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the kingdom hearts video they made james do when its clear from watching it james has never played a kingdom hearts game

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Garrand posted:

Spy x family: the new empire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not sure on the origin point but yeah most japanese titles with an x in the middle dont pronounce the x

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hisoka posted: Hello everyone. Check out this sick manga (mod edit: removed)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since we're all taking turns being problematic, I was never really bothered by Bugs Bunny cross-dressing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
bugs bunny is a trickster deity like loki and is genderfluid

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bugs bunny is a trickster deity like loki and is genderfluid

:hai:

Garrand posted:

It's actually Spy 10 Family, learn your roman numerals chud.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hello everyone, mod here. Not looking at this page. Hopefully nobody does any unprompted confessions of criminal behavior.

edit) Gah!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think it is possible to write a story where children are hurt or exploited or objectified without it being hosed up to enjoy it, but ofc the difference is in if they are having those things done to them in universe to make a point or if its for the audiences or authors enjoyment. and sometimes that can be a bit hard to define but i think a good litmus test is how many panels involve staring directly at a child's rear end

As with all this poo poo, depiction is not endorsement and explaining is not support.

Lolita and Lord of the Flies are two great examples of it. The original books at least.

The underlying requirement is what does the depiction and involvement of children experiencing weird and bad poo poo bring to the story and overall narrative.

The Lolita movie was one of the finest examples of someone not getting the point in western media. I don't know if the author lived to see it but he was aggressively critical of many western interpretations of his work for wanting to see the child as a sex object complicit in the situation.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

what an absolute poo poo thing to say and you should feel bad for saying it.

*looking at avatar and nothing else in this thread whatsoever*

Nice haircut

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Daffy Duck is a king. Being stupid loving rules.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
daffy is a chud

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Garrand posted:

I don't think Japanese views the X as the letter X. It's read as either a blank or a cross, which is why x gets used for crossover names (such as Super Smash Bros x Undertale).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

daffy is a chud

Chud season

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I should rewatch chimera ant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

You're right, and I agree there's space for it when it's handled in an appropriate non-leering way. Higurashi and Umineko both approach topics of abuse to child characters well, and to meditate on generational abuse cycles and the child welfare system. They're not perfect, but I can make a personal judgement call there that it's coming from a sincere place.

To wrap it around, I really don't get the point of Mother's Basement's "hot trash" videos. They all just seem to be a place for him to rec anime that caters to his tastes but he knows are too horny to unironically promote, so he does it under a guise of "so bad it's good." I guess this is why I prefer to wait until the end of a season to check out any anime that looked interesting, or see if it gets enough positive buzz from friends or online, if I haven't read the manga before and like it from that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I don't think Japanese views the X as the letter X.
you sometimes see it pronounced 'cross' yeah, but usually when its appended to the end of titles

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

woke season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

To wrap it around, I really don't get the point of Mother's Basement's "hot trash" videos. They all just seem to be a place for him to rec anime that caters to his tastes but he knows are too horny to unironically promote, so he does it under a guise of "so bad it's good." I guess this is why I prefer to wait until the end of a season to check out any anime that looked interesting, or see if it gets enough positive buzz from friends or online, if I haven't read the manga before and like it from that.
thats kind of just the shield a lot of these guys use. like that Trash Taste Podcast crew who go on their podcast and talk about how hard anime is to rec because its too horny and objectifies women and then go on their youtube channels and 'ironically' do nothing but talk about hentai

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so how 'bout those streamer awards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like to use Dudley's X Counter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked the guy who got a week probe for doing the self-depracating thing of introducing something by talking about its most objectionable characteristics, and referring to reading umineko as "reading a VN about a guy attempting to grope his underage cousin", and getting banned. truly the best and most accurate way to describe umineko i can think of

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Roth posted:

*looking at avatar and nothing else in this thread whatsoever*

Nice haircut

:hai:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftw when guys post so weirdly about completely normal things that they get obliterated from orbit

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Here is a video essay about a toxic Yugioh card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC1wCYFUs1A
I don't know how comprehensible this is if you don't play the game but Mystic Mine ftl and I enjoyed it.

Lmfao mystic mine owns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The thing that gets me about the "b-but the WORLD BUILDING" arguments is that even if Horrible Fetish Story has good world building or whatever, so loving what? It's the easiest thing in the world to find a piece of fiction that's hot garbage with a few cool ideas within.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bird. posted:

Lmfao mystic mine owns

It is banned. We all hate it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is banned. We all hate it

cowards

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

People are free to watch and look at whatever they want just dont have to tell everyone about it. Its like announcing to the room every time you have to take a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remembering multiple people recommending me goblin slayer and now i dont talk to those people anymore after watching the first episode