Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiac posted:

And here we have the main reason for why blindsight as well as other books/authors that shall not be named are popular and reoccurring in this thread.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

You heard it first here folks, people like books where they relate to the characters

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant, I thought it was the last book in the series, so I was really surprised by that last chapter. That's some wild stuff.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mystes posted:

You heard it first here folks, people like books where they relate to the characters

And if that wasn't bad enough, there appear to be people who relate to different characters than I do. What scandal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Cardiac posted:

Because people would have to face up to that their bad decisions and their consequences is on them.

except no one has ever made a decision

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I flat out have no real idea what Cardiac is even getting at, note my not having read Blindsight, can you explain?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

silvergoose posted:

I flat out have no real idea what Cardiac is even getting at, note my not having read Blindsight, can you explain?

Taken straight from the wiki entry on Blindsight:

Siri Keeton is the narrator and protagonist. Debilitating brain surgery for medical purposes has cut him off from his own emotional life and made him a talented "synthesist", adept at reading others' intentions impartially with the aid of cybernetics.

Cardiac is suggesting that all goons are dumb and like dumb books as a result.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
There's pretty much no good biology in science fiction because the ideas are absolute dogshit, just the shallowest nonsense. Like it's fine when it gets handwaved as technobabble but when it's supposed to be Big Ideas Central To Your Plot, it needs to not fall apart with the most cursory "well what are the consequences of this and would they break my universe".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

RDM posted:

There's pretty much no good biology in science fiction because the ideas are absolute dogshit, just the shallowest nonsense. Like it's fine when it gets handwaved as technobabble but when it's supposed to be Big Ideas Central To Your Plot, it needs to not fall apart with the most cursory "well what are the consequences of this and would they break my universe".

How's, um, Octavia Butler's stuff? I ended up kinda not liking Dawn *because* of the biology stuff, but I couldn't tell if it was plausible or not.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RDM posted:

Dune has exceptional biology, particularly the practice of prana...prana...uh what's the next word?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Having precise control over all of ones nerves and muscles like the Bene Gesserit do does sound cool. It is a bit nuts how little modern science knows about muscles. We don't even know if muscle knots or "myofacial trigger points" actually exist as tiny tight bands of muscle fiber the way many describe, or if its all an illusion. There's arguments between rheumatologists and physical therapists about their existence.

The weird biology stuff in Dune doesn't annoy me that much though cause its basically magic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

General Battuta posted:

Dune has exceptional biology, particularly the practice of prana...prana...uh what's the next word?

Bindu. Been dune what? Nobody knows.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Binduin your mom!!!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Binduin your mom!!!

Ah, someone’s read Heretics of Dune I see.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
y'all can come back and talk poo poo after you learn how to arouse the 51 excitation points and master the 300 steps.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

y'all can come back and talk poo poo after you learn how to arouse the 51 excitation points and master the 300 steps.

Created, The Destroyer posted:

So Chiun had been right. Some women could sense a man’s control of his body. They could be attracted by what he called the hia chu charm, knowing within that the man had such perfect timing and rhythm and highly developed senses that he could arouse them every time.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Dune Encyclopedia posted:

Patterning their method after a sexual technique mentioned in some of their earliest historical records, the Fremen learned to separate the male orgasm from ejaculation. At the time they reached puberty, boys were given detailed instruction on the technique and were not considered to have entered into true adulthood before mastering it, whatever their other accomplishments. A young man who proved incapable of learning such control was seen as a danger not only to himself (since unnecessary ejaculations were a waste of precious water) but to his partners.

Not by Herbert himself, but I'm sure he nodded in agreement.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FPyat posted:

was this one of the KJA ones?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Anderson and Brian disowned the Encyclopedia, since it was basically fanfiction, as opposed to their continuation of Herbert's intended story.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FPyat posted:

Anderson and Brian['s] ... continuation of Herbert's intended story.
You will find the art of kanly is still alive if you besmirch the master like this.

"Ultraspice"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Don't worry, they have a safe full of papers.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dune Encyclopedia was written by a bunch of people, so you get the interesting entries, the boring entries and of course a few sex weirdo entries

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

silvergoose posted:

ulmont posted:

Taken straight from the wiki entry on Blindsight:

Siri Keeton is the narrator and protagonist. Debilitating brain surgery for medical purposes has cut him off from his own emotional life and made him a talented "synthesist", adept at reading others' intentions impartially with the aid of cybernetics.

Cardiac is suggesting that all goons are dumb and like dumb books as a result.

I think more precisely, many of the human characters in Blindsight are coded as being non-neurotypical in some way, and Siri specifically is heavily coded (though not explicitly described) as autistic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thanks!

In other news, I'm nearly 200 pages into Exordia, and I guess I'm coming up one of these fabled climaxes that could end a trilogy, it's good stuff.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I finished Exordia, and for some reason the "Anna" song from Device 6 popped into my head. I feel like it would make a good theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYY-KkoDAk

I'll post more when I've had time to process.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm pretty sure I'm Agent Cormac (McCarthy) and and

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Good lord the setting in baru is depressing. I think she's going to die (or worse) by the end of the trilogy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Good lord the setting in baru is depressing. I think she's going to die (or worse) by the end of the trilogy.

Well, good news then - it's not a trilogy.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKQX0/

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I finally picked up the first Imaro collection by Saunders. I'm only a bit past the first section of it, and these are so good. This is what I wanted, this speaks to me on a level I can't explain. It's to the point that when something good is happening to Imaro, I begin to shed tears of happiness for him. Holy poo poo this is amazing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

I finally picked up the first Imaro collection by Saunders. I'm only a bit past the first section of it, and these are so good. This is what I wanted, this speaks to me on a level I can't explain. It's to the point that when something good is happening to Imaro, I begin to shed tears of happiness for him. Holy poo poo this is amazing.

:shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

Fremen gooners jack without rhythym

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

Fremen gooners jack without rhythym

Children of Goon

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Goon without rhythm, it won't eject the worm.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm a bit over halfway through Exordia and maybe I should have expected but I really did not expect a direct reference to Diane Duane's Young Wizards oath, that took me the hell back in time, though I then found an interview where it was cited as an inspiration

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

silvergoose posted:

I'm a bit over halfway through Exordia and maybe I should have expected but I really did not expect a direct reference to Diane Duane's Young Wizards oath, that took me the hell back in time, though I then found an interview where it was cited as an inspiration

Oh do tell, I've only read the Cat Wizards out of that series.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mllaneza posted:

You should at least read So You Want to Be A Wizard. It's very much of its age level, but it's...solid, still. The wizard's oath is what I meant.

I do adore Book of Night with Moon, though, just the whole cats playing a game all the time thing tickled me a lot as a kid.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

RDM posted:

Looks like someone didnt see scavengers reign! its still falls apart but its amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

In that case you're probably more familiar with the saurian recension of the Oath, which starts "The Fire is at the heart, and the Fire is the heart; for its sake, all fires whatever are sacred to me." (The feline version, while not recounted in full, is apparently quite similar and likewise phrases things in terms of fire, warmth, and light.)

The version in So You Want To Be A Wizard, however, starts with "In Life's name, and for Life's sake, I vow that I will use the Art that is Its gift in Life's service alone", and it is this version that Erik quotes in Exordia.

I also appreciated the use of "claudication" much earlier in the book; it's not a widely used word in general, and Duane is the only other author I've seen to use it in the temporospatial sense rather than the medical one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is interesting. I’ve seen other authors criticized in the past for cribbing sentences and sentence structure from earlier books but surprising to see it happened with one of the biggest names.