Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And people were conflating it being a parody that sometimes got too close with the studio having done a Jackbox-type game about AI art and the CEO having typical CEO AI opinions to say Palworld was using AI generated models which is not even possible for that tech right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the only interesting discussion i've seen on the palworld models thing came from videogameschronicle, who actually bothered to get expert opinions on the subject

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/palworld-pokemon-plagiarism-accusations-pile-up-as-ceo-responds/

quote:

According to two experienced AAA game artists who spoke to VGC, the model comparisons on X are likely evidence that Palworld’s character models were indeed based on Pokémon assets.

“You cannot, in any way, accidentally get the same proportions on multiple models from another game without ripping the models. Or at the very least, tracing them meticulously first,” one senior character artist told VGC anonymously, adding: “I would stand in court to testify as an expert on this.”

They explained: “To give you an idea of how impossible this is, sometimes we have to copy one mesh to another when we make sequels to games, for example, redrawing an NPC from one game to another, and even when we rework those old models, they only SOMETIMES match this closely due to rigging changes that might need to happen.

“There have been times when dozens of artists are given the same concept art to create a 3D model, for example, during art tests for jobs. I’ve seen 30 artists try to make the same horse using the exact schematics.

“None were as close to each other as these Palworld models are to the Pokémon models. None. The silhouettes and proportions here are near-perfect matches.”

Another senior character artist in the games industry agreed the model comparisons could be compelling evidence of plagiarism.

“The wireframe meshes look different, so they’re not the same models, but it’s so close that they may have built over the top of the Pokémon models and made a few changes so they weren’t exactly the same.

“When does ‘heavily inspired’ become a blatant copy? It’s much easier to take a successful style and tweak it slightly than it is to come up with a new, cohesive style, right? I wouldn’t be comfortable passing this off as my work; it’s just too close in many places.”

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Furnaceface posted:

Its... kinda valid? Like, there are definitely some designs that try to toe the line. But its not exactly a big deal either. The game, in early access, is already better than Arceus Legends and has people asking why Nintendo cant put in the same kind of effort for a similar quality product given Pokemon is likely a billion dollar brand.

I think Pokémon is literally bigger than Didney

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Its... kinda valid? Like, there are definitely some designs that try to toe the line. But its not exactly a big deal either. The game, in early access, is already better than Arceus Legends and has people asking why Nintendo cant put in the same kind of effort for a similar quality product given Pokemon is likely a billion dollar brand.

Ah, insufferable people asking stupid questions.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Nintendo hasn't gotten copyright law changed several times over in its favor i dont think

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

feel like i might finally get into PC gaming this year
i know nothing about building computers so probably will just buy a pre-made one or something..

*moments before having my head blown off* you can also buy a steam deck if you want to do some pc gaming without actually building a computer.

But yeah if you think you’re open to it just try to build a compy. It’s pretty easy and there are a million good resources for the process.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
TPC's handling of the game side of their IP is frustrating in many ways but there is a lack of normalcy in how people respond to that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Palworld and Pokemon are different kinds of games entirely, so it's weird to say that Pokemon needs to be learning from it

Like what's the lesson, make a game that runs well? You don't need Palmon for that lmao you need TPC to not be shoving these things out almost yearly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For me, I’d like reasons to catch Pokémon besides adding them to my party or to tick off a Pokédex entry. I don’t mean to make the game fundamentally about something else, but I liked in Palworld that there were a lot of uses for Pals besides having them fight. It made me that much more excited about catching different Pals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I agree, bring contests back

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Meowywitch posted:

no way, especially how lovely their mainline games have been of late. The last one barely passed, but Sword/Shield was embarrassing.

haven't kept up with the new Pokemon anime and how people are accepting of the new cast.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I agree, bring contests back

they got rid of them? what the fucjk...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Cassowary posted:

the actual building part is fairly standardized and not that hard if you're mechanically adept at all. like, if you can read ikea furniture instructions and build it without issues, you can figure out building a pc. a lot of people can't do this or don't feel comfortable with this, which is fine.

if you go with a prebuilt, remember that you're paying extra to get support from the company, so do some research to figure out which companies actually build the computers well and also have quality service.

the thing is that even if I can follow ikea instructions, its not like i'm knowledgeable enough about which parts go well with what, is it just a frankenstein where it all just pops in

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Because they don't actually own Pokemon Company. Nintendo only has 30% ownership.

oh, this is actually a good point,
So many people bring up why isn't Nintendo sue'ing, nintendo this, when Pokemon is actually its own company.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

By having Pokemon on switch the Pokemon company had to go from 2d games to HD 3d games and well that's always going to cause a company issues. Add in that Nintendo wanted games on the same release pace and it's no wonder the recent games have had issues

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

make the Pokemon gacha game and be done with it imo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

symbolic posted:

make the Pokemon gacha game and be done with it imo

It’s existed for about 5 years now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%E9mon_Masters_EX

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gently caress poo poo piss

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GateOfD posted:

the thing is that even if I can follow ikea instructions, its not like i'm knowledgeable enough about which parts go well with what, is it just a frankenstein where it all just pops in

you do it the same way i did it 20 years ago: you ask the internet forum weirdos who follow this poo poo as a hobby which parts to buy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nintendo and the pokemon company arent suing because they dont care. english pokemon fans are the only ones who care

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people made up all this poo poo about the palworld devs hating pokemon adn wanting to undermine it and then you read the official translation of the interview those people are quoting and it's just them going "we like pokemon. we wondered what would happen if you put pokemon in ark"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Palworld and Pokemon are different kinds of games entirely, so it's weird to say that Pokemon needs to be learning from it

Like what's the lesson, make a game that runs well? You don't need Palmon for that lmao you need TPC to not be shoving these things out almost yearly

It's still not comparable since actual indie dev v massive corp but funnily palworld doesn't actually run or look good on the lowest power platforms it's on (though again granted who the gently caress is optimizing for the Xbox One S in 2024)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

get owned walt disney

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Colonel posted:

people made up all this poo poo about the palworld devs hating pokemon adn wanting to undermine it and then you read the official translation of the interview those people are quoting and it's just them going "we like pokemon. we wondered what would happen if you put pokemon in ark"

this imo. idk why people got so insane about palworld disrespecting pokemon or w/e

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

studio mujahideen posted:

this imo. idk why people got so insane about palworld disrespecting pokemon or w/e

the discussions with artists and ip lawyers on the subject have been interesting, the console wars dunning-kruger rear end fandom speculation has been dumb

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

pokemon has tons of issues but it's hilarious how it breaks some people that it keeps selling as is. it's the sort of thing that has people yelling about fanboys accepting anything as if that's most or even a significant part of the 20M buying any new game.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Motto posted:

pokemon has tons of issues but it's hilarious how it breaks some people that it keeps selling as is. it's the sort of thing that has people yelling about fanboys accepting anything as if that's most or even a significant part of the 20M buying any new game.

if it's more than 10 or 20 percent i'd be amazed tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

studio mujahideen posted:

Toon linked av freaks who think emulating a japan only nes game that hasnt been rereleased in 30 years should be punishable by execution

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

you do it the same way i did it 20 years ago: you ask the internet forum weirdos who follow this poo poo as a hobby which parts to buy

This. Sh/sc is fulla those types of people

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Palworld is fail, but not for its pokemon connections.

People being like "oh why can't gamefreak make something like this????" are immensely fail, tho.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
tree punching games are only good when there are slimes and drackys around

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

people just love to defend corporations, simple as

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

Palworld is fail, but not for its pokemon connections.

People being like "oh why can't gamefreak make something like this????" are immensely fail, tho.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

pokemon is literally the most profitable franchise in history, they should be able to make a better game than they have.

Waffleman_ posted:

every pal having extra abilities, unlocks, and passive that directly affect gameplay is a huge draw for me. Like I caught a galeclaw, crafted some gloves for it, and now it's the best glider I think in the game and I can also shoot my guns while it holds me aloft. It's great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I went to Ikea to buy a new chair and they had a very comfy one so I got it. Turns out that the one in the box was not the black one advertised to now I have a cherry red chair that makes me go faster while being comfortable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are some of the best games on the switch.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

thats a nice color tbh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arc Hammer posted:

I went to Ikea to buy a new chair and they had a very comfy one so I got it. Turns out that the one in the box was not the black one advertised to now I have a cherry red chair that makes me go faster while being comfortable.

thats orange

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's funny that pokemon is as big as it is while game freak is still effectively working with the team size and production values of a ps2 monster rancher game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

thats orange