Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flying Zamboni posted:

If you want to see an older movie that's actively commenting on that kind of stuff the original Cat People from the 40's is great.

She Devil comments on it too but the comment is an incredibly firm “yes this is normal and good”. After she stops doing what the doctors tell her to do they decide to kill her so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Follow it up with the Roseanne Barr She-Devil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

One of the doctors has a monologue where he flat out says “we tried to save a human life but ended up creating something inhuman”. It’s not even subtext it’s flat out text that a woman who won’t do as a man tells her and instead seeks to advance her own interests is an animal that must be put down.

Literally a man who shot his wife is presented as the victim of feminine trickery.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The movie ends with our two hero doctors who are like 80% sure their patient killed someone but they have no proof or any evidence at all so they fill her room with carbon monoxide until she passes out and then perform brain surgery on her that gives her Tuberculosis.

The final line of the movie is “she was so beautiful” spoken by one of the doctors who just did that to her.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They were right to do so. She was rabid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

lol it’s a plot point that the pineal gland has no known function. People in the past were so stupid.

Pineal gland poo poo is basically an only recently mostly forgotten version of the ' you only use 10% of your brain' meme that writers latched onto as a plot device. IIRC Heroes implies Sylar steals powers by taking the pineal gland.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pineal gland poo poo is basically an only recently mostly forgotten version of the ' you only use 10% of your brain' meme that writers latched onto as a plot device. IIRC Heroes implies Sylar steals powers by taking the pineal gland.

I looked it up, apparently they discovered it produced melatonin in 1958. She Devil came out in 1957

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Watching She Devil. Movies from the 50s are wild. The patient is a young unmarried woman and the doctor is a man in a position of authority over so I guess he’s basically her dad? Or, like, owns her a little bit?

The number of science fiction and horror films where the professor/doctor's assistant is his daughter is uncountable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The number of science fiction and horror films where the professor/doctor's assistant is his daughter is uncountable.

Oh yeah, but in this case she’s not his daughter. He just treats her like she is and the universe accepts that because she’s a woman and he’s a man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To the point where the Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter was a bit of a trope for a while, though sometimes Beautiful Fiance, basically an excuse to have a young attractive woman in a role where she can be in distress probably. Doctor Who has done almost every imaginable permutation of that over the years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Now I’m watching Footloose. Holy poo poo is this the origin of angry dance?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
King Hu is the great pioneer of angry dance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1758685153184899488

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Footloose is great!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just saw Vertigo. Man, I almost wish that the film hadn't ended the way it did despite how incredible it was. I wanted hours of seeing their increasingly toxic and deranged relationship breakdown.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Just saw Vertigo. Man, I almost wish that the film hadn't ended the way it did despite how incredible it was. I wanted hours of seeing their increasingly toxic and deranged relationship breakdown.

I was fine with it except the last ten seconds. It felt like Hitchcock didn’t know where to take it and just wrote “and then she jumps out the window” to not have to think about it anymore

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There wasn't anyway that relationship didn't end with one or both of them dead.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Steve Yun posted:

I was fine with it except the last ten seconds. It felt like Hitchcock didn’t know where to take it and just wrote “and then she jumps out the window” to not have to think about it anymore

In North By Northweast the climax is weirder than you could imagine

He saves her offscreen they appear on a train and they Hayes Code gently caress

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaius Marius posted:

they're not really similar films but you should watch mikio naruse's floating clouds

Steve Yun posted:

the original ending provided more closure but was all the more worse off for it

The Peccadillo posted:

In North By Northweast the climax is weirder than you could imagine

He saves her offscreen they appear on a train and they Hayes Code gently caress
yes, it loving owns

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wonder if they're still doing a Vertigo remake with Robert Downey Jr, written by the Peaky Blinders creator. No thanks lol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wait a minute. Wait one minute. The town in Footloose is a super small, super rural, super religious town. But their high school has a men’s gymnastics team?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
We used to be a real country

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Wait a minute. Wait one minute. The town in Footloose is a super small, super rural, super religious town. But their high school has a men’s gymnastics team?

Sublimated desire (for dance)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What's up with the 80s and movies about apocolyptic futures where we have reverted to cave men and are HORNY.

Just watched Hell Comes to Frogtown, which was pretty eh but had surprisingly well done frog costumes and sets - and it autoplayed into yet another film of that genre, America 3000. The former survives on Rodney Piper being charismatic enough that you're like "yeah, I suppose everyone would want to gently caress him". The later has the main character narrating the film in what feels like a post-shoot "poo poo we have to make this make some sense" kind of stupidity. Sucks, but again, setting and costumes aren't shabby.

Incredible BIG hair in both.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People old enough to read new wave sci-fi as kids were finally old enough to direct

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They really need to bring back horny sci fi

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope you get your wish but it’s monkey pawed and it’s all alien tentacle poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I hope you get your wish but it’s monkey pawed and it’s all alien tentacle poo poo

Then what’s the monkey paw part?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Gripweed posted:

They really need to bring back horny sci fi

welcome to the Species (1995) Cinematic Universe

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Then what’s the monkey paw part?
It's alien tentacles and also monkey paws

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t trust sci-fi to be ethically horny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t trust sci-fi to be ethically horny.

Tell me you've read Heinlein without telling me you've read Heinlein.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm backing The Crime is Mine if you can find it with subtitles or have a ~B2 (maybe B1) understanding of French.

Well acted. Over the top but in a nice way: just enough to take the edge off the serious nature of the setup. Also the two leads look just so, so cute in the period clothes and courtroom outfits.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why was San Francisco such a filming hotspot in the 70s?

Dirty Harry, The Conversation, Play Misty For Me, etc

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It looks cool and isn't that far from Hollywood.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bright Bart posted:

I'm backing The Crime is Mine if you can find it with subtitles or have a ~B2 (maybe B1) understanding of French.

Well acted. Over the top but in a nice way: just enough to take the edge off the serious nature of the setup. Also the two leads look just so, so cute in the period clothes and courtroom outfits.

Yeah, I saw it somewhat by default and it was a decent comedy. You can instantly tell it's an adaptation of a classic vaudeville play but if it ain't broken, etc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You gotta go back to the sixties really. Hitchcock fell in love with the city and filmed there extensively. Bullitt gets filmed there and revolutionizes the car chase and basically creates the first moder police procedural film. And then American Zoetrope was headquartered there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, I should have remembered the Hitchcocks. Even The Birds, which is North Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

YaketySass posted:

Yeah, I saw it somewhat by default and it was a decent comedy. You can instantly tell it's an adaptation of a classic vaudeville play but if it ain't broken, etc.

I think that if we had more of these in this style (whether period or not) in the past few years then perhaps it wouldn't be getting the same superlative praise. But it is quite well made and very fun.

Another quirky period comedy set in Europe (well, England anyways) is Wicked Little Letters. That's if it ever finally comes out. But when it started getting broader reviews by more critics the average fell quite a bit from 'This looks very good' to 'Maybe I'll enjoy it, I'll play the first little bit and see'.