Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Flikken posted:

It is funny how conservatives started caring about her private jet usage when they got mad at her.

Surprised they haven't been harping on Biden's Air Force One usage and the enviromental impact.

I admit I don't know enough to crunch the numbers but I wonder if something like banning all private jet usage would have a considerable impact on the climate? It seems like it would really only have an effect on a (relatively) small subset of the population. I would hope most of the support (pilots, mechanics, etc) could move on to other work.

I know it would make life more complicated for people like T-Swift but honestly I don't care. We are getting past that point where changes need to be made, if not past it already. This seems like more bang for your buck and possibly easy to implement since rich people can just use normal modes of transportation. (there would have to be laws to stop them from buying up all the seats on the plane, basically making it private. If such laws don't already exist.)

I do think upper levels of government probably warrant usage of private planes like Air Force One. Everyone under like VP or SecDef can get on the (air)bus with the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Subjunctive posted:

it adds up, but my understanding is that even when you add up all the individually-divertable waste and pollution, it’s a small fraction of the amount of waste and pollution generated by industry. given the absence of climate-friendly competitors in many areas, it’s hard to “consume better” to influence that upstream damage as well

I work in a grocery store. It is ostensibly “environmentally friendly,” and we attempt to recycle everything we can, but holy poo poo we throw a lot away. We could do better, but nobody wants to pay for the additional labor because it doesn’t make Number Go Up

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

the dangerous thing about climate change is that it's a slow roll; things only get worse gradually and in a tolerable manner...that is, until they're not tolerable anymore, and by that point it's too late to make panic changes.

nothing will fundamentally change until the way of life "enjoyed" in the western world is no longer possible for the middle class. It'll be long after the poor are hosed beyond comprehension.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

just because the individual isnt responsible for the bulk of the damage, doesnt mean that the individual cant meter themselves so as to not contribute to the problem.

you may be just one person throwing your unsorted garbage and recycling into the post garbage because youre lazy, inconsiderate, and dont feel like following your host nation's laws. but i guarantee you, you werent the only one, and thats where the problem lies. your individual actions may not amount to much, but it adds up, so why not try to be better than corporations and do your best not to consume and create waste.

Oh I still separate my recycling and squint at invisible numbers on the bottom of bottles because our landfill will recycle #3 but not #7 or whatever the gently caress. I absolutely still feel like a mark when I see the rich and corporations pissing liquid trash into the ocean and rubbing our faces in it, and landfills selling plastic to be burned which seems worse than just dumping it into a pit where at least it won’t turn into the literal air we breathe.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Reminder that one of the largest (potentially! Because they don't keep track) polluters in the world is the DoD.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh I still separate my recycling and squint at invisible numbers on the bottom of bottles because our landfill will recycle #3 but not #7 or whatever the gently caress but I absolutely feel like a mark when I see the rich and corporations pissing liquid trash into the ocean and rubbing our faces in it.

as you should, because we are. theres only one way to stop it, but those in power really dont like it, and it will only work for 1 generation before it devolves into the same thing we have now

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
after talking with my Boomer Dad about The World, he's reassured me that humans are amazingly resilient and inherently good and that we'll tackle these issues and things will be ok in the future, especially now that Biden has tackled climate change :) wow, I hadn't thought of it from the perspective of someone who will die soon and not deal with the real problems!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

I admit I don't know enough to crunch the numbers but I wonder if something like banning all private jet usage would have a considerable impact on the climate? It seems like it would really only have an effect on a (relatively) small subset of the population. I would hope most of the support (pilots, mechanics, etc) could move on to other work.

It would probably be the most significant change you could implement on a personal rather than industrial scale. The dude that tracks celebrity jet usage combined with some reporters and they found something like flight emissions just moving a bunch of rich weirdos was about 400 times more than a random fucko like me or you would produce in a year. That's just celebrities mind you, not c-suite of random corporation y taking the corporate jet between california and new york or whatever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

Americans are never going to care enough about recycling or any other methods of making our society more sustainable.

The moment their big mac, or carton of eggs, or whatever else goes up even slightly in price they will start screaming bloody murder.

Americans are pathologically sensitive to anything that even remotely might one day inconvenience them.

Selfish and inconsiderate. Nothing more American than that.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are huge swaths of the population that are absolutely preoccupied by individual carbon footprints and recycling. What we need is to find a way that we can transform that goodwill into lasting benefits for the climate. Whether that is by purchasing land to be preserved, funding substantial clean-up efforts, etc. As it is people expend a lot of time and effort towards remediation methods that aren't effective but have been designated as the way that an individual can "do their part".

maffew buildings posted:

after talking with my Boomer Dad about The World, he's reassured me that humans are amazingly resilient and inherently good and that we'll tackle these issues and things will be ok in the future, especially now that Biden has tackled climate change :) wow, I hadn't thought of it from the perspective of someone who will die soon and not deal with the real problems!

Sounds like he's trying to comfort you? What exactly do you want to hear him say? GL in the thunderdome?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Reminder that one of the largest (potentially! Because they don't keep track) polluters in the world is the DoD.

Yeah, all military action is incredibly wasteful and has an absolutely massive environmental impact. It's also bad for the economy generally. I don't understand where the myth of "good for the economy" came from. It's a hugely inefficient allocation of resources with no real hope of actual return.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 18, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Banning private jets could affect one single person and I’d still want to see it done before seeing a single iota more of greenwashing bullshit

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Banning private jets could affect one single person and I’d still want to see it done before seeing a single iota more of greenwashing bullshit

not sure how it's feasible tho, this would never happen in north america because our politicans are all bought and paid for by the people who own the jets.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

and you'd have to be real careful with the wording because bush pilots are definitely a thing that exist and need to exist in canada and alaska

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My Spirit Otter posted:

and you'd have to be real careful with the wording because bush pilots are definitely a thing that exist and need to exist in canada and alaska

bush pilots do not use jet aircraft

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Kesper North posted:

bush pilots can use turboprop aircraft, which are 'technically' a jet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are huge swaths of the population that are absolutely preoccupied by individual carbon footprints and recycling. What we need is to find a way that we can transform that goodwill into lasting benefits for the climate. Whether that is by purchasing land to be preserved, funding substantial clean-up efforts, etc. As it is people expend a lot of time and effort towards remediation methods that aren't effective but have been designated as the way that an individual can "do their part".

Sounds like he's trying to comfort you? What exactly do you want to hear him say? GL in the thunderdome?

Yeah, all military action is incredibly wasteful and has an absolutely massive environmental impact. It's also bad for the economy generally. I don't understand where the myth of "good for the economy" came from. It's a hugely inefficient allocation of resources with no real hope of actual return.

Its good for the economy of lobbyists to congressmen to MIC contracts cycle

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I couldn't help but laugh when I was setting up our current Waste Management service and asked the rep about recycling and they straight up said to not worry about it since it all goes in the same hole anyway. The recycling bin is an extra 96 gallons of garbage to them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

what horus said, plus i was more meaning the terminology in the bill. i have a feeling the lobbyists would move to use the term "private aircraft", as it would encompass a whole lot more than private rich people aircraft, and really hurt the theoretical bill's chance to pass.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wrong Theory posted:

I know it would make life more complicated for people like T-Swift but honestly I don't care. We are getting past that point where changes need to be made, if not past it already. This seems like more bang for your buck and possibly easy to implement since rich people can just use normal modes of transportation. (there would have to be laws to stop them from buying up all the seats on the plane, basically making it private. If such laws don't already exist.)

I do think upper levels of government probably warrant usage of private planes like Air Force One. Everyone under like VP or SecDef can get on the (air)bus with the rest of us.

Global air travel is only responsible for something like 3-4% of total emissions, and private jets are a teeny fraction of that. Road vehicles account for something like 12%, and that's before you get into the secondary emissions from building and fueling them. Certainly those considerations also apply to air travel, but not on the scale of road transportation. And at least Boeing is dedicated to reducing their bolt usage in their jets.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 18, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Americans are never going to care enough about recycling or any other methods of making our society more sustainable.

The moment their big mac, or carton of eggs, or whatever else goes up even slightly in price they will start screaming bloody murder.

Americans are pathologically sensitive to anything that even remotely might one day inconvenience them.

Selfish and inconsiderate. Nothing more American than that.

food inflation is a heck of an example to pick since it has contributed to the downfall of governments across the world throughout history, including:
https://mises.org/library/inflation-and-fall-roman-empire ancient rome
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-hyperinflation-heralded-the-fall-of-german-democracy-180982204/ weimar germany
https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/resource/food-inflation-and-regime-stability-in-africa/ various governments in africa

nothing especially amercian about caring about food prices, at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cartons of eggs quintupled in price in the last few years and it had nothing to do with conservation

Nor are Americans wrong for being pissed when that happens

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

psydude posted:

Global air travel is only responsible for something like 3-4% of total emissions, and private jets are a teeny fraction of that. Road vehicles account for something like 12%, and that's before you get into the secondary emissions from building and fueling them. Certainly those considerations also apply to air travel, but not on the scale of road transportation. And at least Boeing is dedicated to reducing their bolt usage in their jets.

:eyepop: That last part tho. Of course if those numbers are even remotely right (not second guessing you) then what are we doing about the remaining ~80%? Carbon credits? Because Mother Nature cares about those.

Sometimes I feel like we (society I guess) are going about this all wrong. Or at least need to take a multifaceted approach. It is unrealistic to think that we can get everyone into an electric car enough to make a sizeable difference. And then it feels like we just changing one vice for another. I see the, admittedly chud, memes that lithium mines are worse than oil. How much of that is true I can't say. There is certainly going to be a sizeable difference in amount of mines vs drilling going on so that would have to be factored in.

Maybe someone could invent a sponge like material that could absorb carbon and could be installed around the tailpipe of everyone's car. It could be subsidized by the government of course. Then once your sponge is full you trade it in for a new one. We could use the sponges full of carbon to make no. 2 pencils or diamonds or something. Maybe we could make more servers for Helldivers 2 godammit. Idea man out!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wrong Theory posted:

Maybe someone could invent a sponge like material that could absorb carbon and could be installed around the tailpipe of everyone's car. It could be subsidized by the government of course. Then once your sponge is full you trade it in for a new one. We could use the sponges full of carbon to make no. 2 pencils or diamonds or something. Maybe we could make more servers for Helldivers 2 godammit. Idea man out!

Top Gear actually tried that with the stuff they use to scrub CO2 on submarines, and it does actually work. The catch is that a canister about the size of a shoebox can absorb a couple miles' worth of emissions, so you would need to haul around a trailer full of them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Top Gear actually tried that with the stuff they use to scrub CO2 on submarines, and it does actually work. The catch is that a canister about the size of a shoebox can absorb a couple miles' worth of emissions, so you would need to haul around a trailer full of them.

SCRs and stuff. Much better to ensure better combustion of fuel and prevent xOx emissions for CO2.

MA-Horus posted:

the dangerous thing about climate change is that it's a slow roll; things only get worse gradually and in a tolerable manner...that is, until they're not tolerable anymore, and by that point it's too late to make panic changes.

nothing will fundamentally change until the way of life "enjoyed" in the western world is no longer possible for the middle class. It'll be long after the poor are hosed beyond comprehension.

Its a system trap. Tragedy of the commons and whatever. The feedback loop is also so long as to be irrelevant and we are terrible at reacting to something like that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Also, the super-rich are beyond the effects of climate change. Miami Beach no longer there? Invest in new beachfront property somewhere else. No more snowfall in Whistler? Go to Hokkaido or whatever. They're always insulated.

And as long as they're insulated, nothing significant will change. It sounds terribly doomer but it's just reality.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm probably going to sound like I'm writing my manifesto on a typewriter under a bare lightbulb in a filthy basement, but only when the rich are unable to get everything they want will it be acknowledged that there's a real problem.

And then you'll still have the issue of them working not to solve or prevent the problem, but rather to ensure they remain on top during the collapse.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm probably going to sound like I'm writing my manifesto on a typewriter under a bare lightbulb in a filthy basement, but only when the rich are unable to get everything they want will it be acknowledged that there's a real problem.

And then you'll still have the issue of them working not to solve or prevent the problem, but rather to ensure they remain on top during the collapse.

this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bad time to share the “Taylor Swift gassing up the private jet to roll over in bed” meme huh

None of those memes mention the second jet.

https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/1756336583433707820

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good news on the neurotoxic planes front: there’s finally action on getting the lead out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

For someone in her position where flying commercial would be nigh-impossible (and potentially unsafe now) I get it

Business jackoffs? Fly first class you dicks. Nobody cares.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

psydude posted:

The emission [unit] per passenger mile is horrible for private planes any way you look at it. The "simple" answer is a serious carbon tax that forces economic activity to less carbon intensive options, but there is approximately zero political will for that.

Swift has good reasons to fly private, but she should be paying for the environmental damage that's causing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 18, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The emission [unit] per passenger mile is horrible for private planes any way you look at it. The "simple" answer is a serious carbon tax that forces economic activity to less carbon intensive options, but there is approximately zero political will for that.

Swift has good reasons to fly private, but she should be paying for the environmental damage that's causing.

Yeah, that was my thinking, just tax the everloving poo poo out of it so that the cost accurately reflects the otherwise ignored externalities.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Literally the plot of Elysium. Guess we need Matt Damon to show up at the .01%'s houses and force them at the pain of cybernetically-enhanced death to give up their private planes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Question- is this a 100% replacement for the higher-lead gasolines, because I know aircraft engines are built to farrrr more specific operating tolerances than car engines. Like, same burn rate, effect at altitude, all that?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

GD_American posted:

Question- is this a 100% replacement for the higher-lead gasolines, because I know aircraft engines are built to farrrr more specific operating tolerances than car engines. Like, same burn rate, effect at altitude, all that?

Who cares? Hobbies shouldn't take precedence over public health and environmental harm.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 19, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s supposed to be a drop-in replacement, running in anything that takes 100LL, mixed in any ratio.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The private jet knows where it is because it knows where it isn’t.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Quackles posted:

The private jet knows where it is because it knows where it isn’t.

The private jet as well as the rest of us know where it is because it has a transponder with a publicly facing interface, but billionaires put pressure or even buy companies to suppress that because they fear transparency.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Grip it and rip it posted:

We got escorted from Guam to Bremerton by a destroyer, so we got to see the fuel reqs over radio traffic, and holy gently caress do we burn insane amounts of fuel toodling around the ocean to go piss the Chinese off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lol destroyers in particular those things can drink