Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

That’s a myth being perpetuated by Testinuke stans on Twitter. They all read the same Osint analysis three years ago that conflated an implosion sphere with a human ball. In reality the CEP of a re-entry vehicle means the nuke likely won’t get within thirty metres of your scrotum.

but did you consider the CBT of a re-entry vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Of course, the deployment such a weapon violates a major nuclear treaty. The US is expected to make a firm plan known, especially because the device has not been deployed yet.

It's even worse than that, it hasn't even been developed yet. It's something Putin wants, but I doubt they can even afford to make the loving thing.

This whole thing is a wet fart that Turner threw out for reasons. Maybe it was deflection for Trump's legal troubles, but there was a reason why most of the other members of the House Intel committee weren't bothered by it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grouchio posted:

Can someone explain to me all the media fuss about the russian EMP satellite? I know turner leaked the alert early and that the satellite is utilized to wipe out many spaceborne satellites - is this anything new? Anything to look out for - or is this another redundant deterrent to bolster rus prestige?

Republican congressman was just driving hype to derail a bill he didn't like. It worked.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Byzantine posted:

but did you consider the CBT of a re-entry vehicle

sounding rods from God

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Craig K posted:

its set to launch a tactical emp strike directly at your balls

Like everyone's balls or his specifically?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am so stoked about the new WI legislative maps. Are there any goons in the state who can verify how awesome this news really is? Any chance of a Dem trifecta like MN?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

With the usual modern caveat that we're on the border of the Cool Zone and conventional wisdom feels a lot less reliable than it used to: Cataclysmic. The GOP is already hugely behind on fundraising - your vague recollection is correct - and I think at least some part of their post-2016 election struggles have to be laid at the door of their financial woes. Combined with the white-hot hatred so many have for Trump and the continuing anger over them killing Roe which all keeps Dems seriously fired up, and the apparent disdain for Trump that much of the billionaire class has developed, losing any of their limited financial resources this year is going to be desperately painful for the GOP.

E; From the Trump legal thread

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

The interesting thing here is that Republicans won big the following year in 1994 and also won the House and finally captured the Senate in 2014. Of course, these were off-year elections and Democrats have been doing very well in those now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VorpalBunny posted:

I am so stoked about the new WI legislative maps. Are there any goons in the state who can verify how awesome this news really is? Any chance of a Dem trifecta like MN?

It is still a lean-Republican map, but Wisconsin was the most gerrymandered state in the country so it is a big improvement.

Republicans won 2/3 of the seats in both houses even though Democrats won the popular vote. The new maps are estimated to be a 1-seat Democratic majority in the state senate and a small Republican majority in the state House based on the 2020 election results.

Unfortunately, New York's commission revealed their initial map and it is much more Republican-leaning than expected. Republicans lost 2 safe seats, but they could have lost up to 9. Not clear what the state legislature is going to do with it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

small butter posted:

The interesting thing here is that Republicans won big the following year in 1994 and also won the House and finally captured the Senate in 2014. Of course, these were off-year elections and Democrats have been doing very well in those now.

How much of that RNC fundraising shortfall is made up by dark money superPACs with zero visibility into? Seems like comparing current political money numbers to pre-Citizens United numbers is an excercise in futility.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I really don't understand why Democrats insist on fighting "fair" when Republicans are completely shameless about gerrymandering. The WI map also could have been more D leaning if they wanted. Even Robin Vos is counting it as something of a win since it's basically the most R leaning map that was under consideration. Ideally gerrymandering would be banned altogther by a constitutional amendment, but since that's never going to happen why not fight fire with fire?

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 19, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I really don't understand why Democrats insist on fighting "fair" when Republicans are completely shameless about gerrymandering. The WI map also could have been more D leaning if they wanted. Even Robin Vos is counting it as something of a win since it's basically the most R leaning map that was under consideration. Ideally gerrymandering would be banned altogther by a constitutional amendment, but since that's never going to happen why not fight fire with fire?

This is just asking "Why Are Democrats?"- their whole deal is a slavish, self-immolating commitment to imagined Sorkin-ite ideals that were never actually the bipartisan consensus.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is just asking "Why Are Democrats?"- their whole deal is a slavish, self-immolating commitment to imagined Sorkin-ite ideals that were never actually the bipartisan consensus.

Not really.

I don't like the idea of gerrymandering even if the other side does it and a lot of Democrats are this way. If a Democrat supports or doesn't support gerrymandering to equalize the electoral playing field, I understand either way. You're basically asking that a district in NY be made less democratic because a district in WI is also less democratic even though these are two different sets of people that have nothing to do with one another. I lean towards doing our own gerrymandering but I understand if others do not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Alabama Supreme Court has overruled a lower court's decision to toss out a case where a couple sued someone who had accidentally destroyed their frozen embryos for causing "wrongful death" of their children.

The court says that since Roe v. Wade has been overturned, that the decision to regulate the definition of "unborn children" falls back to the states and Alabama has a law on the books called "The Wrongful Death of a Minor Act" that defines fertilized embryos outside of the womb as "unborn children" and that they qualify for the same legal protections as other children.

quote:

Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Three couples whose frozen embryos were destroyed when a wandering Mobile hospital patient dropped the specimens can sue for wrongful death because the embryos were “children,” the Alabama Supreme Court ruled Friday in reversing a judge’s decision to throw out the case.

The Center for Reproductive Medicine, a fertility clinic used by the couples, and Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, where the embryos were being stored, claimed the couples could not sue for wrongful death because Alabama’s Wrongful Death of a Minor Act does not cover embryos outside the womb.

But the Alabama Supreme Court disagreed when it reversed Mobile County Circuit Court Judge Jill Parrish Phillips’ ruling to dismiss the case in 2022.

The Wrongful Death of a Minor Act “applies to all unborn children, regardless of their location,” wrote Alabama Supreme Court Justice Jay Mitchell. “[T]he Wrongful Death of a Minor Act is sweeping and unqualified. It applies to all children, born and unborn, without limitation. It is not the role of this Court to craft a new limitation based on our own view of what is or is not wise public policy. That is especially true where, as here, the People of this State have adopted a Constitutional amendment directly aimed at stopping courts from excluding ‘unborn life’ from legal protection.”

The couples accused the defendants of wrongful death, negligence and breach of contract in two lawsuits filed in 2021 in Mobile County Circuit Court.

Mobile Infirmary “allowed one of its patients to leave and/or elope from his or her room in the Infirmary’s hospital area and access the cryogenic storage area,” according to one of the lawsuits.

The patient removed embryos from the freezer, and “it is believed that the cryopreservation’s subzero temperatures burned the eloping patient’s hands, causing him or her to drop the cryopreserved embryonic human beings on the floor, where they began to slowly die,” one of the filings stated.

By the time hospital staff noticed the incident, all of the embryos died, according to the lawsuits.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2024/02/frozen-embryos-are-children-alabama-supreme-court-rules-in-reviving-couples-wrongful-death-suits.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's very troubling, but i can't get past the whole "patient wandered into cryogenic storage and began taking cylinders out of deep freeze". strong jurassic park stealing genetic material vibes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's very troubling, but i can't get past the whole "patient wandered into cryogenic storage and began taking cylinders out of deep freeze". strong jurassic park stealing genetic material vibes

That is why the reproductive health center is getting sued. Pretty wild negligence/lax security and the parents definitely should be compensated, but "wrongful death" and making the embryos legally children is going to have some weird effects on Alabama law (and be a precedent that pro-life people will try to set elsewhere).

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

A genuinely perplexing situation, all around. One of those things you couldn't easily imagine happening, you'd think a clinic like that would have a modicum of security for that but nope, a too-curious patient walks in and destroys a bunch of frozen embryos just like that. Not murder by any means though!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That 'wandering patient' was a time-traveller who deliberately destroyed that embryo because it was gonna grow up to be Super-Hitler.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ms Adequate posted:

That 'wandering patient' was a time-traveller who deliberately destroyed that embryo because it was gonna grow up to be Super-Hitler.

They destroyed the embryos of three different sets of parents. Were they all Super-Hitler clones or just three different Super-Hitler level threats?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

So is it legal to keep children frozen in stasis indefinitely

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So if the embryos are children, will the parents face charges for leaving them in a freezer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They destroyed the embryos of three different sets of parents. Were they all Super-Hitler clones or just three different Super-Hitler level threats?

Killing Hitler 2 changed the timeline so they also had to kill Hitlers 3 and 4 before it stuck

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

They couldn't be sure which one was the target because they didn't have time to go through the records and check each cryounit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aztec Galactus posted:

So is it legal to keep children frozen in stasis indefinitely

Only in Alabama, but technically yes.

And, only if they are unborn.

Fertilized embryos are now legally considered children, but it only applies to "unborn children" and not children in general under Alabama law.

Edit:

MixMasterMalaria posted:

So if the embryos are children, will the parents face charges for leaving them in a freezer?

No, because they were participating in a legal medical procedure that was theoretically going to result in the birth of the unborn children. It wasn't an illegal act of neglect or done with malicious intent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 19, 2024

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It's like in Looper, Bruce Willis doesn't know which of those kids is going to grow up into the Rain Man, so he's got to kill all of them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Killing Hitler 2 changed the timeline so they also had to kill Hitlers 3 and 4 before it stuck

Actually killing Hitler 2 would've resulted in Stalin 2 taking over most of Europe so they had to remove them, as seen in the documentary Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

The third incident was a result of Neo Soviet counteragents attempting to remove Einstein 2 from the timeline.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The embryo of future BJ Blazkowicz was also destroyed, so it’s kind of a push.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Youremother posted:

A genuinely perplexing situation, all around. One of those things you couldn't easily imagine happening, you'd think a clinic like that would have a modicum of security for that but nope, a too-curious patient walks in and destroys a bunch of frozen embryos just like that. Not murder by any means though!

Yeah, it's a weird one. There needs to be something in the judgment, because there's actual legitimate harm to the parents as a result of this (and possibly, depending on why they were doing embryo-storage in the first place, irreparable harm). But, it's not loving murder. :(

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

VorpalBunny posted:

Wrong attitude to have. The map is still geared towards Republicans. The Republicans would’ve still won the assembly in 2020 with these maps.

These were the compromised maps Evers was trying to pitch to make the Republicans look bad, figuring that they would vote against it like everything else he has pitched.

Instead they passed it and dared Evers to veto it and he capitulated.

small butter posted:

Not really.

I don't like the idea of gerrymandering even if the other side does it and a lot of Democrats are this way. If a Democrat supports or doesn't support gerrymandering to equalize the electoral playing field, I understand either way. You're basically asking that a district in NY be made less democratic because a district in WI is also less democratic even though these are two different sets of people that have nothing to do with one another. I lean towards doing our own gerrymandering but I understand if others do not.
Yeah but before it becomes NY a gerrymandered blue state at least passes a bunch of progressive projects beforehand. See MN and Michigan.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So let’s say the invitro takes and there are extra embryos. Are Alabama fertility clinics expected to just store them forever?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So let’s say the invitro takes and there are extra embryos. Are Alabama fertility clinics expected to just store them forever?

I am gong to guess the answer is a pretty obvious yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sundae posted:

Yeah, it's a weird one. There needs to be something in the judgment, because there's actual legitimate harm to the parents as a result of this (and possibly, depending on why they were doing embryo-storage in the first place, irreparable harm). But, it's not loving murder. :(

It's not murder. There is no criminal aspect to the case.

A wrongful death of a minor suit is a civil action that exists everywhere, not just in Alabama, that allows parents, grandparents, or legal guardians to sue over the death of a minor.

This ruling says that because Alabama has a constitutional amendment protecting unborn life "regardless of location" and the wrongful death of a minor act says that it covers any child "including unborn children," then fertilized embryos are covered and eligible for a lawsuit.

Nobody is being criminally charged and it does not make embryos outside of the womb eligible for consideration under murder charges.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
also i don’t get the framing of these redistricting fixes as “republican gerrymandering blowing up in their faces”. they got to own Wisconsin for 12 years and will do it again when they’re able to. which’ll probably be sooner rather than later when we’re looking at how 2024 is shaking out

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 19, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

According to an amicus brief filed in opposition to the ruling, yes.

quote:

Likewise, a ruling in favor of the Appellants would require fertility clinics to store a multitude of embryos in perpetuity at a high cost – regardless of the wishes of the IVF patients. Such a result might render cryopreservation out of reach for many patients, who are unable to afford or unwilling to pay the tens of thousands of dollars for perpetual storage.

They have to either store them forever, move them to a commercial storage facility, or move them out of state and then just decide what to do based on the state law of wherever they go (which is the legal equivalent of your mom deciding not to ask you if you smoked weed after you come home from the Phish concert wearing a parka, carrying 4 tubs of Ben & Jerry's, and watching Adult Swim.)

https://judicial.alabama.gov/docs/22-0579BriefofAmicusCuriaeAlabamaMedicalAssociationinSupportofAppellees_12-13-2022.pdf

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 19, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I had a thought. Most of us, including me, are mainly worried about the electoral outcome where Trump wins in November.

What actually happens if he loses? Even if the GOP has decided “no loving way are we running an 81 year old Trump as our candidate in 2028”, what happens if he decides he does not want to go away and continues to demand to be kingmaker, take all GOP donations to himself etc.

After completely knuckling under to him at every turn, do they finally tell him, in a public way, to gently caress off? Or do they continue being the Trump party and suck up to him and just privately hope he dies before 2028?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

According to an amicus brief filed in opposition to the ruling, yes.

They have to either store them forever, move them to a commercial storage facility, or move them out of state and then just decide what to do based on the state law of wherever they go (which is the legal equivalent of your mom deciding not to ask you if you smoked weed after you come home from the Phish concert wearing a parka, carrying 4 tubs of Ben & Jerry's, and watching Adult Swim.)

https://judicial.alabama.gov/docs/22-0579BriefofAmicusCuriaeAlabamaMedicalAssociationinSupportofAppellees_12-13-2022.pdf

As someone who is going through IVF right now, we pay every year to store embryos. If this transfer works we will donate the rest of the viable embryos to other couples, the unviable embryos have already been donated for research.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
At some point I'm left wondering if the non-Trump GOP game plan is just "pray he croaks".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I had a thought. Most of us, including me, are mainly worried about the electoral outcome where Trump wins in November.

What actually happens if he loses? Even if the GOP has decided “no loving way are we running an 81 year old Trump as our candidate in 2028”, what happens if he decides he does not want to go away and continues to demand to be kingmaker, take all GOP donations to himself etc.

After completely knuckling under to him at every turn, do they finally tell him, in a public way, to gently caress off? Or do they continue being the Trump party and suck up to him and just privately hope he dies before 2028?

The issue the GOP/The American right have is that they're in a nightmare of their own creation. They cozied up to racist and Christian dominionist post LBJ and in exchange the business wing got lower taxes and deregulation. The play of course to hide the racism to make themselves palatable for the media and squishy middle. Trump than destroyed that dream by putting that wing front and center and they don't know how to give it up. Coupled with suburban moms that are both diversifying and is trying to avoid culture war stuff, they are going to have to give up one prong but they can't if they want to have a chance at power.

Giving up the white nationalist vote means losing white males and some rural significance and power that you get disproportionate power with the United States. Give up the business wing and you lose the ability to fund your campaigns and realistically, the Northeast Republicans of keep taxes low but socially don't say anything are dead and buried so what's to be gained.

They need someone who can either unite these tribes or come with a new vision (or eat into the Democrats big tent) and that is not easy. The best play probably, is to liberalize on the border (giving up the white nationalists) but maybe getting the Spanish speaking community behind you, with a new business class.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Zwabu posted:

TBH, it's probably the latter. Or just beg and plead for him to have Don Jr or similar run instead. I don't see any way they could [forcibly] prevent him from running without antagonizing a sizeable portion of GOP voters

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's not murder. There is no criminal aspect to the case.

A wrongful death of a minor suit is a civil action that exists everywhere, not just in Alabama, that allows parents, grandparents, or legal guardians to sue over the death of a minor.

This ruling says that because Alabama has a constitutional amendment protecting unborn life "regardless of location" and the wrongful death of a minor act says that it covers any child "including unborn children," then fertilized embryos are covered and eligible for a lawsuit.

Nobody is being criminally charged and it does not make embryos outside of the womb eligible for consideration under murder charges.

Wouldn’t a miscarriage fall under this? Can someone get sued for having a miscarriage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Just like how the terminator started killing every Sarah Connor out of the phone book, all the time traveler had was the name of the clinic, not the parents' names; they were just being sure.