Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I do wonder if they're going to basically have Makee take on the role of the arbiter, because it will be cheaper to film someone in wardrobe, than to have a major character who's 100% cgi.

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if they change things from the lore or whatever, I just want the show to not spin its wheels going nowhere for 9 episodes like season 1. So far it seems like its shaping up better on that front at least, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather this show be 4 episodes if it means we cut every character that isn’t on reach and has nothing to do with the fall of reach.

I just don’t care. You can’t make me care. I just want to see the cool poo poo in the games done cinematically in live action because it’s fun to see. That’s it!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Do you think they're gonna introduce Noble team?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chief’s team is Nobel team :(

It’s bullshit

Emile is so loving cool looking. Why would you not want to manifest that into reality

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I do wonder if they're going to basically have Makee take on the role of the arbiter, because it will be cheaper to film someone in wardrobe, than to have a major character who's 100% cgi.

Honestly I don't give a poo poo if they change things from the lore or whatever, I just want the show to not spin its wheels going nowhere for 9 episodes like season 1. So far it seems like its shaping up better on that front at least, but we'll see.

I think the guy with her is the Arbiter. I didn't expect to see him so soon, but it's probably a good idea so we can see him go from Chief's rival to his partner. But if it is, it's bullshit that it's not Keith David. But so far we've seen him stare down Chief then accompany Makee and say how there wasn't any honor in what they were doing, so if it is, they're already planting seeds that he's an honorable character.

I like this season more than the last. It's not perfect and I think we need more action, but making Kwan a murder machine has helped when the show has to focus on someone other than the Spartans.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Professor Beetus posted:

My prediction for this season is that the rest of it is basically just going to be the fall of reach and Chief and the other spartans will be leading a resistance and trying to protect the artifact. Once that gets nabbed by the covenant, planet gets glassed. Chief and co get picked up by the pillar of autumn and they yeet themselves to the halo. Show gets cancelled.

The artifact was taken by the Covenant at the end of episode 2.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the guy with her is the Arbiter. I didn't expect to see him so soon, but it's probably a good idea so we can see him go from Chief's rival to his partner. But if it is, it's bullshit that it's not Keith David. But so far we've seen him stare down Chief then accompany Makee and say how there wasn't any honor in what they were doing, so if it is, they're already planting seeds that he's an honorable character.

I like this season more than the last. It's not perfect and I think we need more action, but making Kwan a murder machine has helped when the show has to focus on someone other than the Spartans.

It doesn't really matter who the Arbiter is. They might get a few lines somewhere this season, but they don't even officially get the title of Arbiter until after the ring is destroyed, so that that will be in a theoretical season 4 or 5 that will never happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be fun if they got to do the Arbiter's story. I find Bungie's writing strength is in good banter dialogue more than plotting and outside of that Halo's game writing is generally mediocre. That just makes the stuff with the Arbiter all the better because it's legitimately the best stuff they wrote for the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGYyocIsBo

This cutscene is like the conference room scene from Star Wars. It's lean, tells us everything we need to know about the Covenant, and it's wonderfully written and performed.

Telling Arby's story without half of his missions being boring slogs would make it a lot better.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 18, 2024

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Going back through some of the gifs from last season and I'm remembering some pretty cool things now.

Remember this was on Madrigal?

https://i.imgur.com/ll84mo2.mp4

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
And this happened.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
And this.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Kai with the pink streak.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The part where the admiral threatened Chief with hired muscle in the bar. Did she actually expect that to work? How much do you have to pay thugs to be wiling to go up against a spartan?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lammasu posted:

The part where the admiral threatened Chief with hired muscle in the bar. Did she actually expect that to work? How much do you have to pay thugs to be wiling to go up against a spartan?

They're agents for the ONI, aren't they?

They don't actually have to take the guy out, he's on the run. All they have to do is create drama in a public space and they blow his advantage.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lammasu posted:

She didn't threaten him. He was getting ready to walk away before she was done talking, her security detail made itself known, she signaled for them to back off and he left, knowing they couldn't stop him anyways. You could argue that there's no point in her bringing security guys in the first place, but at least she was quick to acknowledge they would be kind of pointless in this circumstance. I assume bringing some backup is just SOP when you're a spy being called to a meeting in a bar by someone with unknown intentions.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Yeah, those dudes did not look like they were relishing the idea of getting smacked around like dolls.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

General Battuta posted:

Ackerson is the best character in the show right now which is wild.

Chief is a dick to everybody :( I know he's under a lot of pressure and is being gaslit by the cia and his mom died and his illegal girlfriend died and his vtuber got taken away but cmooon Chief

Yeah, i get that they need to humanise him or some poo poo in this series, but being a dick to your team is like bad leadership 101. It feels out of character for him to be that unstable, but then the writers had him do all that silly poo poo in the first season too.

I guess that's where things are gonna be disappointing if the show does carry on into what the games cover. The games need Master Chief to be this stoic, wise, patient god slayer because we, the player, are him and we're the ones singlehandedly saving the universe, so of course we need to be a character that everyone listens to and never questions because we're just that badass.

In the show though, there's an ensemble cast who are going to save the day and so it doesn't matter as much if Master Chief is a whiny bitch getting angry at his ramen because no one's listening to him.

The problem for me is that the ensemble cast here are a bunch of losers and i've only really enjoy Halo because of the stoic badasses stomping the poo poo out of the alien forces and the giant space opera setpieces.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well you won't have to worry then if all the mopey whatsits get glassed when Reach falls.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I will say I am really disappointed that it looks like Spartan-IIIs aren't a thing in the Silver timeline. They'd be perfect for a show like this.

Maybe that's what Ackerson's deal is? Why give a poo poo about the hand-reared artisanal super soldiers when you can just give cybernetic augs and experimental performance enhancers to all the pissed-off war orphans?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They could make Kwan an S3, she’s a perfect fit! It’d be like they planned it all along

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Pom posted:

I will say I am really disappointed that it looks like Spartan-IIIs aren't a thing in the Silver timeline. They'd be perfect for a show like this.

Maybe that's what Ackerson's deal is? Why give a poo poo about the hand-reared artisanal super soldiers when you can just give cybernetic augs and experimental performance enhancers to all the pissed-off war orphans?

Is that not literally what Ackerson did in Ghosts of Onyx. Minus the cybernetics; Spartan 3 augmentations were entirely chemical, not mechanical.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

General Battuta posted:

They could make Kwan an S3, she’s a perfect fit! It’d be like they planned it all along

I will scream into the abyss if they turn Kwan into Noble Six.

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that not literally what Ackerson did in Ghosts of Onyx. Minus the cybernetics; Spartan 3 augmentations were entirely chemical, not mechanical.

My knowledge is limited to the Bungie games courtesy of the LP thread, and this show. Didn't know that!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e;quote is not edit

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Arc Hammer posted:

I noticed one of the upcoming episodes is titled "Onyx". I didn't know enough about deep halo lore to know that was (I assume) a reference to something in the universe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the reason Ackerson is against the Spartan 2 program is much more petty than being ideologically opposed to child soldiers. He's just extremely jealous of Halsey's S2 program taking money away from his projects. Given that he's an Admiral in the show rather than just a Colonel in the books he's got way more power to gently caress with the S2s for his own gain and to promote his mass produced Spartan 3s as a cheaper alternative type of supersoldier. Rather than one man superheros the S-IIIs use cheaper equipment and are meant for suicide missions, trading lives for time, as it were.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don’t think they were meant for suicide missions exactly. They were used on very high risk missions but there was always a plan to get out. They just didn’t make it (well, the first two companies at least).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Curious if the show is going to roll the Alpha and Beta company S3s into one and have their 99-100% casualty rate operations play out on Reach.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're agents for the ONI, aren't they?

They don't actually have to take the guy out, he's on the run. All they have to do is create drama in a public space and they blow his advantage.

? Master Chief is a dude who throws the gently caress down because FIGHT ING. While he will stealth it up, if poo poo goes loud, he is a big giant strong tough oval office whose only knowledge of quit is what his opponent does.

Them dudes be hosed yo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We now return to the fall of Reach, already in progress….

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This episode has been rather expensive so far.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
this is riz casual. repeat, this is riz casual, I got hate and bullets for all you muthafuckas.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It was a lot of waiting, but I enjoyed that. Even got a 'gently caress ya' when Master Chief ignited the sword.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yeah. Brilliant episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, that's 90% of this season's budget well spent.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Quite enjoyable episode. Fourthing the 'You can see where this season's budget went.' comment.

I dug that they actually called out that the reason the Covenant hadn't just glassed the planet was they wanted to covertly destroy the power grid so the orbital cannons would be offline. I remember that being a thing in the books.

(And of course whatever is going on with them wanting Cortana.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That was like Game of Thrones levels of carnage. Though we never saw Keyes' body.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Speaking of spending money, maybe they were able to save a heck of a lot of it by realising making Cortana an entirely CG creation in season 1 was a stupid expense, and decided to just tint an actual actress blue instead.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Halo episode 4: Chief goes antique shopping

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Uh, am I having an optical event? Everything is green and pink/purple. Is this lovely feed or brain stuff symptoms?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

It was a fun episode of sci-fi battles.

But,

How could they get so many trivial things about the weapons wrong/other stupid things...

-Battle rifle and DMR are NOT FULL AUTOMATIC GUNS. Needler only explodes its target if multiple needles hit.
-never noticed the entire lack of recoil on the guns. It was so blaring this episode. And there is one shot where the slide ejector isn't moving on an assault rifle even though it is being fired. The weapons all look amazing, but don't act amazing.
-I understand this for the story of the episode, but WHY did the suits have to be gone? For the love of gently caress all we want to see is Spartans in mjolnir armor kicking alien rear end.
-Vanak and Keyes dying? Lame.
-Where is Kai at? She's one of the few redeeming qualities of the show.
-John Halo pics up an energy sword to much fanfare...ignites it...and then doesn't get to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There was a scene where Chief walked directly in front of someone shooting full auto that I laughed at but I otherwise enjoyed this episode.