Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JadaX posted:

How is this game now? Am a little bored and thinking of dabbling in it again. Issue is, I quit last time because you sort of had to buy packs to get good drops to stand a chance of getting high ranks - is that still the case?

How long ago did you play?

There's a big card rotation coming up in a few weeks so it might be better to wait for that. Compared to a few years ago the situation is better for F2P and returning players though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah you get a vastly increased amount of free cards now.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Olpainless posted:

Yeah, if you wanna climb now you either play Even or something that can farm it.
But yes, it's always been a ludicrously good deck with a human hand, which is what makes it so infuriating there's someone in the card design team who just keeps on knocking out perfect cards for it.

What are the decks that can farm even shaman?

edit: dicking around with reno even control odyn warrior is fun enough for me and I think I went 4-2 against even shaman and shadowpriest, which I can live with.

### RECOW
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Bladestorm
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Drywhisker Armorer
# 1x (2) Forge of Souls
# 1x (2) Frozen Buckler
# 1x (2) Minefield
# 1x (2) Needlerock Totem
# 1x (2) Shield Block
# 1x (2) Stoneskin Armorer
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (4) Aftershocks
# 1x (4) Craftsman's Hammer
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (5) Kobold Stickyfinger
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (7) Rokara, the Valorous
# 1x (4) Igneous Lavagorger
# 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
# 1x (4) Onyxian Drake
# 1x (4) Outrider's Axe
# 1x (4) Rancor
# 1x (6) Deepminer Brann
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) Khaz'goroth
# 1x (6) Minotauren
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (6) Trial by Fire
# 1x (8) Odyn, Prime Designate
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) Tidal Revenant
# 1x (10) Shield Shatter
#
AAEBAc/8BR7DFvbPAs/nAs30AvyjA/bWA7beA47tA4/tA/mMBPqMBNKsBO/OBPPOBI7UBLjZBOKkBf3EBcbzBaX2BbT4BY77BZD7BaH7BaT7BZyeBp+eBtGeBq+oBtCwBgAAAQP6Dv3EBYixA/3EBbyKBP3EBQAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Oenis fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 18, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

No idea why I'm getting a 40% winrate with Sludge Warlock fairly low on the ladder.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Because the meta shifted to counter it

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I bet if you incorporated match history, the same people now playing inevitable Control Warrior, used to be the same people who played Thief & Quest Priest. It's got similar MTG Blue vibes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
bring back the Even Shaman bots, at least they didn’t rope every loving turn

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Took a break from pauper renaissance to do an arena run

My opponent played a 2 mana consecration-on-a-stick that triggers at the end of every turn

What happened here? I'm not mad I'm just worried.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s an excavate treasure. They’re more powerful than normal cards because you have to play below-rate cards to generate them, and you can’t choose which one you get.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

at d5, half of my games are against durdle control decks

the other against AdjectiveNoun players with basic aggro decks (mech rogue, unholy dk) that vomit hand and go face

none of my games are enjoyable

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 19, 2024

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Excelzior posted:

none of my games are enjoyable

This has in my opinion been the worst expansion I can remember? I was really excited for the theme too :saddowns:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Standard meta is really stale in a bad way they need to balance something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's only a few weeks until the next expansion and rotation, right?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

flatluigi posted:

it's only a few weeks until the next expansion and rotation, right?

yeah a few weeks until rotation and a month until expansion

this period always feel stale but it's exceptionally bad this year

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m really just sick of playing against stupid rear end warrior decks where if you haven’t won by 8, you’re not winning. Sludgelock at least smashes your face in by t6-7 usually.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I’m really just sick of playing against stupid rear end warrior decks where if you haven’t won by 8, you’re not winning. Sludgelock at least smashes your face in by t6-7 usually.

I am thinking of keeping the control warrior loaner deck because it's fun but yeah it seems really annoying and bullshit to play against. The DK plague deck is the other loaner that was recommended, it feels less bullshit but also maybe not as good?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IMO UIS has been the absolute worst, but then again I'm currently playing mostly arena with a BG herere and there

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Tender Bender posted:

I am thinking of keeping the control warrior loaner deck because it's fun but yeah it seems really annoying and bullshit to play against. The DK plague deck is the other loaner that was recommended, it feels less bullshit but also maybe not as good?

I went with the DK one because I love DK and it had some valuable cards. But if the warrior one comes with Odyn and poo poo, that might be the better choice. Plague DK is fun and decently strong but it also has no acute wincon.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Handbuff hunter dunks on control warrior, so if you're running into a lot of them I recommend it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm cool on the new expansion and the general tenor of recent balancing efforts made by Blizzard. Maybe a new cycle will invigorate the meta but right now I don't see myself investing too much time into Hearthstone.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you really want to take a steaming poo poo all over warriors at the expense of losing to most decks that actually play minions, I recommend lightshow mage

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

I went with the DK one because I love DK and it had some valuable cards. But if the warrior one comes with Odyn and poo poo, that might be the better choice. Plague DK is fun and decently strong but it also has no acute wincon.

Thanks, gonna give DK a few more spins before my loaner deck trial expires because the flavor of it feels cool.

The Reno card that wipes the opponent's board feels really obnoxious... It doesn't even trigger deathrattles. And you can only play one minion the next turn. I hate it!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Blizzard’s balancing philosophy has been the real shitter this year. They’ve been way too willing to aggressively nerf things based on little more than vibes, which has shaved down the viable decks in the format. Plague DK has risen from a mediocrity to a common meta deck not because it’s gotten better, but because everything else has gotten nerfed.

Obviously the old days when they would let obviously overpowered decks wreck the meta for months on end weren’t any better, but there has to be a middle ground between that and panic-nerfing anything Reddit whines about after a week.

Anyway, there’s supposed to be one more balance patch before the next expansion, probably this week. This format is crying out for buffs, so here’s hoping they actually elevate some decks instead of just kicking Sludge Warlock in the nuts and calling it a day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Really starting to feel that minisets are a net negative in terms of game balance because they don't so much fix old issues as (sometimes) replace them with new ones.

Chernabog posted:

IMO UIS has been the absolute worst, but then again I'm currently playing mostly arena with a BG herere and there

I don't think that's an uncommon or unpopular opinion. I think UIS had a lot of good stuff in it (both in terms of specific cards and general themes/mechanics) it's just that the bad stuff was widespread and utterly toxic.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I've been having fun, but I've been wanting a climactic necrotic explosion deck to be functional ever since I opened a copy at the start of the year, so its rise has made me biased

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Casual Wild has been a lot of fun lately. Lots of variety.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Again, I think we're just seeing the envelope push having the impact it was always going to have.

If you raise the power level of cards in general, board clearing becomes more of a priority (Because you're at least taking more damage, and/or there's more 'answer this or you die' drops), and easier to do (because the removal effects are more prevalent or just better), so minions stick less. That pushes the edge - Control gets stronger naturally, and only hyper, kill-you-by-T5 aggro survives on the fringe, because each flavour of aggro beats one of the Controls, but not the others. Tempo/'Curvestone' goes in the bin the hardest, because there's no point playing a good stats 5-6 drop.

Quoting myself a hundred pages ago - How good would Chillwind Yeti need to be to be playable today? The answer is 'There's probably no stat line that'd make it survivable in modern Hearthstone' except as a Forge of Wills target, so even then it's not playable in it's own right.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know, I think this expansion has been fun and I'm excited about the next one and the card rotation.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't know, I think this expansion has been fun and I'm excited about the next one and the card rotation.

This expansion brought me back and I don’t think it’s bad (but meta has stagnated) but I also am very excited for card rotation.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Shockeh posted:

Again, I think we're just seeing the envelope push having the impact it was always going to have.

If you raise the power level of cards in general, board clearing becomes more of a priority (Because you're at least taking more damage, and/or there's more 'answer this or you die' drops), and easier to do (because the removal effects are more prevalent or just better), so minions stick less. That pushes the edge - Control gets stronger naturally, and only hyper, kill-you-by-T5 aggro survives on the fringe, because each flavour of aggro beats one of the Controls, but not the others. Tempo/'Curvestone' goes in the bin the hardest, because there's no point playing a good stats 5-6 drop.

Quoting myself a hundred pages ago - How good would Chillwind Yeti need to be to be playable today? The answer is 'There's probably no stat line that'd make it survivable in modern Hearthstone' except as a Forge of Wills target, so even then it's not playable in it's own right.

Not just Chillwind Yeti. I don't think that there's any vanilla statline that would make a three-mana minion playable. Two-mana probably has a playable vanilla statline, otherwise for +3 it would need other support in the deck that could copy the minions on-board or turn them into immediate damage somehow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would put a vanilla 3-mana 30/30 in an aggro deck.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My hot take is that it’s good that pure-stats minions aren’t really viable anymore. Pure-stats minions are boring; it’s much more interesting when they have higher aspirations than making a favorable trade.

Like, nobody was really happy when Flamewreathed Faceless was good. In general you don’t want the best thing to also be the most straightforward thing.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
pining for the days of larger and larger men

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bravesword posted:

Like, nobody was really happy when Flamewreathed Faceless was good. In general you don’t want the best thing to also be the most straightforward thing.
Somewhat ironic when '4 Mana 7/7 with a downside' is probably one of the most played Minions in the game right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
With a “downside”.

Speaking of, said 7/7 just pulled me to legend for the first time :toot:. Now to never do that again.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Shockeh posted:

Somewhat ironic when '4 Mana 7/7 with a downside' is probably one of the most played Minions in the game right now.

Yeah, that’s the point. No one would play Waste Remover if it didn’t synergize with other cards in your deck (as, indeed, they didn’t before the Sludge package got buffed). It’s strong and interesting because it interacts with other cards in your deck and influences deckbuilding and play sequencing. If it was just four mana 7/7, no text, it’d be boring even if some deck wanted it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I'd say it's less "4 mana 7/7 with a downside" and more "4 mana 7/7 with a deckbuilding restriction" since the effect is beneficial often enough

Although hilariously a 4 mana 7/7 with a massive downside was still played in control Warlock last expansion anyway

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The funny thing is that I wasn’t even thinking of Waste Remover, I was thinking of Imposing Anubisath.

That’s there’s two is very funny to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The taunt on Anubisath mattered a lot. There's a reason Warlock included it rather than, say, Selfish Shellfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mcbexx posted:

There's a new "Mystery" coming up, with a card back reward.

First part has been found, it's a minigame launched by going to Options -> Miscellaneous -> Credits and clicking in the lower left corner of the credits canvas.

This will launch a board where you will be presented with two cards and you have to pick the "older" one.

There is a faint embossed expansion logo behind each card text that can help, but sometimes it's hard to make out, so good luck.
To make matters worse, there's also a rope burning on each pick.

You need to get ALL of them correct to solve this step.

For reference, here's the chronological order of the expansion releases.

https://twitter.com/agepatterson/status/1757747172282626181

And this is the card back so you can decide if you want to jump through a bunch of hoops for it.

Welp 3rd one has been found and it’s a doozy.

You need an 8 person team in Battlegrounds and have to tie for 8 rounds. If that was it it’d be easy but on turn 3 each player gets a minion with random stats and you need to coordinate with your opponent to tie. I’m gonna skip this one