Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

It is from like 95.

It is however very very Shonen lol.

I recommend giving it to around volume 5 or 6 it's when the art starts turning around. And after the first major arc.

It's also very very inspired by YYH, but it's fun. It is very much carried by art and characters as it goes on.

Shout out to Domon, Joker and Raiha

I wasn't saying the art was bad, just old-fashioned. I think I like it, actually.

I don't really see much similarity to Yu Yu Hakusho so far. Domon is somewhat similar to Kuwabara, and I guess the water guy's creepy sister-related motivation is reminiscent of Hiei, but that's it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that bugged me?

[snip]

This only seems like something that's actually a problem if Dear Anemone is a battle shonen, and I honestly don't know where you'd get that idea from that opening chapter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

I wasn't saying the art was bad, just old-fashioned. I think I like it, actually.

I don't really see much similarity to Yu Yu Hakusho so far. Domon is somewhat similar to Kuwabara, and I guess the water guy's creepy sister-related motivation is reminiscent of Hiei, but that's it.

Keep reading lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

This only seems like something that's actually a problem if Dear Anemone is a battle shonen, and I honestly don't know where you'd get that idea from that opening chapter.

Well, I could point out how battle shonen is the ground state for Jump series that don't consciously go in another direction (as discussed in Bakuman), or how Hell's Paradise is a battle shonen, or just note that we just had the chapter end with the hero summoning or creating a superpowered new combatant to kill the monster, but that feels off. It's an approach that agrees with your premise, and I think your premise is wrong, too.

Battle shonen is the genre most negatively affected, but horror (the other main genre so far) also benefits from delayed reveals, as do a lot of others.

If we know guns are useless at the end of chapter 1, that means it can't be a shock moment later. First bulletproof monster is scary. By the fifth, it's a running gag. ("Chap with the wings, there. Five rounds rapid.") Similarly, as shown in Cameron's seminal classic Aliens and almost every survival horror game, guns can be an excellent source of tension as ammunition runs out, weapons jam, or people screw up. Horror thrives in uncertainty, and being told that the guns were useless this early is certainty.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need more Akanebanashi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Flame of Recca is 90% tournament by volume. Probably a good thing though.

Also, every power in the series can be expressed as a single kanji.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't remember the post-anime stuff being that tournament heavy.

I really liked Joker and Neon as villains who got do more stuff in the story rather than just get beaten or killed off afterwards.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Jiangshi X: lol what a loving asspull to end the series on
I'm honestly surprised the series made it to 34 chapters.

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that bugged me?

The first mook being immune to bullets.

Story seems to be jumping right into the main gimmick of characters needing some kind of Anima in order to properly combat the monsters of the island. Compare to Hell's paradise where there were a few volumes before introducing the Taoists that required magic to properly combat. And the presence of such abilities is not explicitly made known in the main characters who did unknowingly use Tao already. So the cast could actually overcome the basic monsters and even some of the giant ones. Part of this difference is that in Hell's Paradise, everyone assembled were essentially the best of the best in terms of martial arts, intelligence, and combat skill. Main character of Dear Anemone is someone looking to improve, in a group of misfits who are mostly motivated by money, as the intentional sacrifices to this island after the more coordinated and trained military got wiped out. Another difference was that Hell's Paradise spend 2-3 chapters fleshing out the main duo as well as the overall mission to retrieve the elixir of immortality before we even set foot on the island properly. Dear Anemone story jumps right in and drops the main characters motivation right at the end along with the reveal.

My only expectation from just the first chapter is that DA is going to be a short series. But short could be anywhere from 3-8 volumes and I've been surprised before. A manga like Haikaiju went on for 21 volumes and part of the reason was that it kept escalating things to the point of absurdity and beyond. Not that I didn't like it personally but things got weird.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, I could point out how battle shonen is the ground state for Jump series that don't consciously go in another direction (as discussed in Bakuman), or how Hell's Paradise is a battle shonen, or just note that we just had the chapter end with the hero summoning or creating a superpowered new combatant to kill the monster, but that feels off. It's an approach that agrees with your premise, and I think your premise is wrong, too.

Battle shonen is the genre most negatively affected, but horror (the other main genre so far) also benefits from delayed reveals, as do a lot of others.

If we know guns are useless at the end of chapter 1, that means it can't be a shock moment later. First bulletproof monster is scary. By the fifth, it's a running gag. ("Chap with the wings, there. Five rounds rapid.") Similarly, as shown in Cameron's seminal classic Aliens and almost every survival horror game, guns can be an excellent source of tension as ammunition runs out, weapons jam, or people screw up. Horror thrives in uncertainty, and being told that the guns were useless this early is certainty.

Looking at it from the horror angle is actually why I thought that wasn't really a big deal, since the first chapter has things way more horrifying than the monsters being hard to kill. The bird being able to speak, intelligent enough to know why they're there and having human teeth in its bill has a lot more depth to its uncertainty than whether weapons will work at the right time, even setting aside how his plant friend will probably make them redundant anyway.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Was Jiangshi X doing poorly? I was under the impression Plus titles had a lot more leeway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mumbling posted:

Was Jiangshi X doing poorly? I was under the impression Plus titles had a lot more leeway.

Jiangshi X was an unusually bad series. Just recycled bits of other manga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mumbling posted:

They do get more leeway for sure, but there are still metrics of success like views and volume sales. And ultimately, as a company, you are paying an artist for their work and to some degree advertising for it that could go towards other products, so you don't want to stretch yourself too thin with works that aren't pulling their weight so to speak.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More on Flame of Recca, 50 or so chapters in:

I feel like Recca's characterization is slightly inconsistent; he talks about how he's a ninja and thus OK with using underhanded tactics, but occasionally he'll show a standard shonen protagonist sense of honor/recklessness. Though this is mostly played for laughs; announcing his presence with fireworks before the raid on the mansion was an absurd thing to do, but it didn't actually make much difference.

I can sort of see superficial similarities to Yu Yu Hakusho (specifically the Ice Maiden's Tears and Dark Tournament arcs), but rescue arcs and tournament arcs are both standard shonen plot structures, and both the rescue involving a raid on a mansion and the tournament being set up by bad guys are fairly basic variations on them. I wouldn't call it a knockoff at this point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mumbling posted:

They do, but it sold absolutely terribly. Better than "My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps", but worse than even gag titles from Jump. If I remember right, High School Family got way more sales, for an example.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Was Jiangshi X even a Plus title? I thought it was a regular SJ title

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Was Jiangshi X even a Plus title? I thought it was a regular SJ title

Jump+
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/k0l68gu/jiangshi-x

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being in jump+ is probably the only reason it lasted as long as it did. jiangshi x wasn't even interestingly bad, it was just boring and had lame villains

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
was diasporasa cancelled and i jsut didn't notice?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it was just intended to be a short series. it's over tho either way

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Flame of Recca, 100 chapters in update:

One odd thing that Flame of Recca shares with The Law of Ueki is how rarely anyone on the protagonist's team loses, even in the context of a tournament structure that would allow for it. It's very different both from the One Piece approach (where the main character loses halfway through each arc) and the Bleach approach (where there's a bunch of characters in the protagonist group that exist mainly to job). I feel like it's the result of a particular way of integrating characterization with fights, where the emphasis on determination and friendship means that the narrative implicitly treats losing a fight as indicative of a character flaw rather than just an unlucky matchup. This rubs me the wrong way (though I'm not a fan of the Bleach approach either).

The fights have generally been good despite this, though; it's just the pattern that's somewhat irritating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fukuchi diverged from that formula, in that saike was about reversing time by one day (via the mc committing suicide) so everyone in that manga got their poo poo wrecked repeatedly. by contrast, anzai ditched little things like themes and character development. you don't need those when a manga consists entirely of alternating training arcs and tournament matches.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I need more Akanebanashi.

It's really loving great and I wish there were more series currently like it.

I also love Show-Wa Shoten. Other than old favorites like One Piece I'm loving non-battle manga in SJ.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Oh look, another cozy and absolutely not ominous chapter! Just lol if this ends with the Church and Witches joining forces against Mr. Priest.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Flame of Recca, chapter 188 or so: Nice conclusion to the tournament, which even featured some of the good guys losing for once.

The new group of villains post-tournament are weirdly unthreatening, which I guess the author realized, resulting in the introduction of yet another more-elite villain group. I'm starting to feel like the plotting would work better if there were multiple distinct villain organizations, instead of one big organization where everyone keeps betraying each other.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Ruri Dragon is alive

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1760143545753579938?s=20

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Gunna lol if it gets axed at like ch 20

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man I can just see it happening too and editorial getting got for it regardless of how justified it is.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 21, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, it will be published digitally, so I wouldn't worry too much. Series, less popular than Ruri Dragon is even now, were allowed to run its course on Shonen Jump+.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 21, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ruri dragon was obscenely popular.

I would not worry about it being cancelled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

Ruri dragon was obscenely popular.

I would not worry about it being cancelled.

Yeah. It was selling near peak Black Clover with one volume.

Second highest week 1 volume 1 sales in Jump's recent history, and first place is Burn the Witch, so it's not exactly competing with fellow rookies.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Oh look, another cozy and absolutely not ominous chapter! Just lol if this ends with the Church and Witches joining forces against Mr. Priest.
I thought Belphagor being the lord of sloth meant he would want people to be lazy. Instead he wants to destroy everything which is the least lazy way to make sure there's no more work afterwards to worry about. I like it

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, it will be published digitally, so I wouldn't worry too much. Series, less popular than Ruri Dragon is even now, were allowed to run its course on Shonen Jump+.

Case in point, Heart Gear had something like 2 years of hiatus but is back in business. Although I feel like with the current chapter the story is going to start entering to some kind of endgame scenario once we get to Holyland or whatever the machine city is. There still feels like there's a fair amount of story to tell since we still haven't addressed this other faction of robots the tanned droid belongs too yet

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Flame of Recca update (Chapter 279): The one-big-organization setup, in combination with the standard separating-and-reuniting-while-raiding-the-fortress structure, has been taken to ludicrous levels of contrivance. The whole business with the CDs and the elevators implies that the evil organization designed substantial portions of its headquarters specifically for the purpose of getting a group of 5-7 intruders separated, letting them reunite, and then separating them again. The bad guys would have won quite easily by this point if they ganged up properly instead of hanging out in their individual gimmick rooms alone or in pairs.

I just realized that this was probably an influence on Bleach (especially the Hueco Mundo arc), albeit in combination with Saint Seiya.

(It's interesting that Naruto avoids this sort of enormous, gimmicky fortress setting completely; fights overwhelmingly happen outdoors or in caves, and whenever the protagonists raid one of Orochimaru's bases, there's almost nobody there.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think you're wrong with any of that but iirc it's a rescue arc where they're all worried that not following what the villain has planned might make rescue impossible. I can't remember if they know his actual plans

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

I don't think you're wrong with any of that but iirc it's a rescue arc where they're all worried that not following what the villain has planned might make rescue impossible. I can't remember if they know his actual plans

The good guys' actions mostly made sense, to be clear. The bad guys' actions didn't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Flame of Recca update (Chapter 279): The one-big-organization setup, in combination with the standard separating-and-reuniting-while-raiding-the-fortress structure, has been taken to ludicrous levels of contrivance. The whole business with the CDs and the elevators implies that the evil organization designed substantial portions of its headquarters specifically for the purpose of getting a group of 5-7 intruders separated, letting them reunite, and then separating them again. The bad guys would have won quite easily by this point if they ganged up properly instead of hanging out in their individual gimmick rooms alone or in pairs.

I just realized that this was probably an influence on Bleach (especially the Hueco Mundo arc), albeit in combination with Saint Seiya.

(It's interesting that Naruto avoids this sort of enormous, gimmicky fortress setting completely; fights overwhelmingly happen outdoors or in caves, and whenever the protagonists raid one of Orochimaru's bases, there's almost nobody there.)

One Big Organization who do things in a pretty ineffective way seems to be a thing with Nobuyuki Anzai. MÄR the series he did after Recca has a big scary army of villains in the Chess. The Chess rather than using their power as a big army with tons of magic artifacts to just wage a war of conquest, instead make an open challenge to defeat them in a fighting contest they made up with the Chess on one team and everyone else on the other.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 22, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

One Big Organization who do things in a pretty ineffective way seems to be a thing with Nobuyuki Anzai. MÄR the series he did after Recca has a big scary army of villains in the Chess. The Chess rather than using their power as a big army with tons of magic artifacts to just wage of war of conquest, instead make an open challenge to defeat them in a fighting contest they made up with the Chess on one team and everyone else on the other.

I guess it makes sense for chess-themed beings to turn their wars into a symmetrical game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I guess it makes sense for chess-themed beings to turn their wars into a symmetrical game.

True. They as a group pretty much worship violence and the vast majority of members joined so they could fight, and view an easy victory as something that goes against their basic philosophy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The good guys' actions mostly made sense, to be clear. The bad guys' actions didn't.

Well again that you know you have an invading force so spreading it out makes sense. This is strictly within the recca series

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

Well again that you know you have an invading force so spreading it out makes sense. This is strictly within the recca series

Spreading out your forces because you don't know the exact location of the intruders makes sense. Deliberately manipulating the intruders into specific places where they fight your second-stringers one-on-one, and then manipulating them into a different set of specific places to fight your actual strong people one-on-one, does not make sense. Especially not when the stronger bad guys outright claim that the second-stringers losing was somehow completely in accord with the organization's plans, and admit that the whole subplot where they tricked the good guys with fake emails was mostly just for fun.

It's perfectly possible, even in a shonen manga, to show people responding to intruders in a way that makes sense. Not necessarily in the sense of being perfectly rational, but in the sense of fitting with the rest of the portrayal of the characters/organization in question. The attack on the East Gorteau presidential palace in Hunter x Hunter, the Whole Cake Island arc in One Piece, and even the Soul Society arc in Bleach basically make sense. The defenders' mistakes stem from their specific personalities and organizational dynamics. Whereas in something like the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach or the Ura-Uruha headquarters arc in Flame of Recca, the logic of the defenders' actions amounts to "trust me, if you were as smart as Aizen, this would totally make sense to you!"

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New manga on mangaplus that actually looks pretty promising. World of SKK girls.