Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The only real problem I had with the movie was the series lack of mask discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, you can make Dune sound as simple as A New Hope if you're being glib, but it really isn't comparable. The Empire has a coherent political system that matters to the characters, the Bene Gesserit have an agenda and motivations and aren't just spooky wizards, you've got two separate scarce resources that limit characters' scope of actions, there's what, twice or three times the number of characters and you have five or six separate factions and multiple characters with divided loyalties. Just in the first book!

You can handwave that away as "backstory and details" but it's what the story is.

I'm not being glib or handwaving, I just think it's funny that there's this aura around Dune of being a formidably complex story when it's really fairly straightforward. All the backstory and details are interesting (I picked up the book yesterday and I'm about to the hunter-seeker part, and I've really enjoyed finding out a lot of what went unsaid in the movie), but a lot of it is pretty typical political intrigue stuff flavored by innovative sci-fi concepts.

Honestly, reading the book kinda makes me feel like Villeneuve downplayed a lot of that flavor when he didn't need to. There are lots of great movie epics packed with odd details, including the original Star Wars trilogy (which is only forty minutes longer than the two Dune movies, maybe that's a better comparison?). I really hope we get an extended cut at some point because I'd love to be able to take more time to soak up all the atmosphere.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Sorry, you made a pronouncement about the simplicity of the novel that you only just started reading? Cmon man.

In the first chapters of the book you are introduced to the houses, the Landsraad, CHOAM, the Guild, the emperor, the bene Gesserit, melange, the kwisatz haderach, mentats, prana bindu, and on and on. It’s perfectly readable but it’s a feat to translate all of that scene setting to the screen.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 21, 2024

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

(I picked up the book yesterday and I'm about to the hunter-seeker part, and I've really enjoyed finding out a lot of what went unsaid in the movie),

keep going lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
why the heck did they have to stuff that guy inside the wall?? sit down, this might take a minute.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dune is a great example of science fiction's ability to defamiliarize societal structures so that we can see them from the outside. Dune's world at its barest bones is familiar. It's a world where elites at the center of empire use ideology and military might to compete with each other for resources and oppress the common people. CHOAM or OPEC or the WTO is a statement of this elite class solidarity. We can see in Paul people like Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar who inherit wealth and power and have the talent, drive, and opportunity to upend the elite competition and create a new order and a new elite ideology to justify it.

All the space nonsense helps us see the bare bones clearly, because it's taking our viewpoint from inside the structure to outside it. This is an empire that runs on violent coercion, propaganda, and resource extraction. From within the elite ideologies that justify the status quo that reality can be hard to see. Like an ant nest cast in aluminum and dug out of the hillside, it is only deprived of the overburdening context that we can see the underlying shape. Once the social structure is stripped of its familiar ideological trappings, by replacing them with space nonsense substitutes, you can see something of your own situation from outside.

It reminds me of someone saying "If Star Wars is about Vietnam, that would make America the bad guys!"

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

As someone that only read a pamphlet at the bus station that just says SAND HITLER, I found the story quite reductive and simplistic.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune's world at its barest bones is familiar.

The protagonist house gaining power from charisma, empathy and popularity while the envious rivals delete them because they only know oppression and control is a parable you'll experience in any corporate environment ever.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Scags McDouglas posted:

As someone that only read a pamphlet at the bus station that just says SAND HITLER, I found the story quite reductive and simplistic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry, you made a pronouncement about the simplicity of the novel that you only just started reading? Cmon man.

In the first chapters of the book you are introduced to the houses, the Landsraad, CHOAM, the Guild, the emperor, the bene Gesserit, melange, the kwisatz haderach, mentats, prana bindu, and on and on. It’s perfectly readable but it’s a feat to translate all of that scene setting to the screen.

Valid! I’m really enjoying the book (or re-visiting it but I don’t think reading it in middle school counts) and look forward to seeing what else Herbert has up his sleeve. If there was a single sci-fi I’ve read that I wish could become an actual space opera (I know, it’s technically a planetary romance) it’s this one - imagine the meal Verdi could’ve made just with Yueh going HAL 9000?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really hope we get an extended cut at some point because I'd love to be able to take more time to soak up all the atmosphere.

Unlikely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYI0EarCQE8&t=162s

From a quick glance at his other films I don't think they had deleted scenes or alternate cuts either, it seems like a consistent philosophy. The movie is the movie, no isolated pieces that didn't make the final cut, no further tinkering. Personally I'd love to see deleted scenes etc but I see where he's coming from artistically.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
the whole point of reading dune is that you are one step closer to reading God emperor of dune. Keep going.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ram dass in hell posted:

the whole point of reading dune is that you are one step closer to reading God emperor of dune. Keep going.

You're not a real G until you progress to magic vaginas and space jews

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Personally I'd love to see deleted scenes etc but I see where he's coming from artistically.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for discussions around deleted scenes.

"We half to keep this scene. It cost 30 million to shoot... The SFX here suck, but we need the exposition... We gotta use this take, the studio says we need at least 23 seconds of Timmy shirtless... etc."

It'd never happen, but it would be so educational. The greatest teacher failure is.

Edit: Even 25 years after the release. Have a brief intro from the director saying, "The original version is definitive. Here is a bunch of poo poo that we didn't use, I don't even remember why, but some of you might think its cool."

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I want the 7 hour version where 4 are just sandworms carrying the flag of the seemingly erased Atreides riding into battle.

beep beep, motherfuckers. Remember us???

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Denny’s Dune definitely suffered from lack of breathing room in the Arrakeen palace and such. The dread of knowing there is a spy and them waiting for the hammer to fall is such a good part of the book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the trick of Dune is that it has the superstructure of a traditional fantasy story about a space prince becoming king of the noble savages, marrying the princess and reclaiming his birthright by toppling the treacherous evil baron, all in accordance to the ancient prophecy, but also every single underlying element of that is given actual context and the galaxy is inhabited by grown ups with motivations and thoughts, with the stakes being material factors. You need grand set pieces and special effects and ALSO complex dialogue, characterisation and exposition.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No, the secret to Dune's success is pussy magic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well that goes without saying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

No, the secret to Dune's success is pussy bucket

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron von Eevl posted:

The only real problem I had with the movie was the series lack of mask discipline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It did come out in 2021.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://newrepublic.com/article/175046/dune-part-two-masterwork-complexity-chalamet-zendaya-sequel-review

Klion is a big Dune head and knows what he's talking about.

edit: Spoiler warning for people who are 60 years behind the times.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 21, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Already unbelievably hyped

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the trick of Dune is that it has the superstructure of a traditional fantasy story about a space prince becoming king of the noble savages, marrying the princess and reclaiming his birthright by toppling the treacherous evil baron, all in accordance to the ancient prophecy, but also every single underlying element of that is given actual context and the galaxy is inhabited by grown ups with motivations and thoughts, with the stakes being material factors. You need grand set pieces and special effects and ALSO complex dialogue, characterisation and exposition.

Yes. Dune's plot is relatively simple and straight-forward because Dune is about critically examining that plot and the people and power structures that enact it. You're not supposed to have trouble following what's happening. The book wants that to be clear, so you can concentrate on why it's happening.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Martman posted:

No, the secret to Dune's success is pussy magic

You mean the story where a haughty twink prince has to learn how to ride massive bulging cocks worms? Arrakis doesn't need water it needs crisco

The fact that they're going all in on portraying Jessica as a vicarious stage mother pushing Paul into becoming cocaine Bin Laden is great, it's the kind of viperous intrigue I love and wish the first movie had had more of.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It largely sounds great but I don't know about the alia changes. C'mon denis you could do justice to the murder toddler, you know you could

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oof, spoiler heavy of a review.

I'm pissed that Thufir Hawat is written out. His decision to die in Paul's arms rather than kill him was a tremendous moment in the books. F you Dennis!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm just kinda looking at these reviews through my peripherals like they're a blinding sun, not really absorbing any details to be spoiled by

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah I understand the need to describe the plot for the sake of the review (and I'm glad it's positive) but that review leaves nothing out. I'm warning my wife to stay away from all reviews, since she hasn't read the book, and to me the Harkonnen is Paul's grandfather twist really works if you don't know it's coming.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Lovely Feyd, Doo Doo DooDoo Doo Doo
Lovely Feyd

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it is by will alone I set my mind in motion. it is by avoiding spoilers that thoughts acquire speed, the fingers type posts, the posts become a warning. it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Paul's visions spoil his life so I think the true Dune experience is to be spoiled :catdrugs:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

No Mods No Masters posted:

It largely sounds great but I don't know about the alia changes. C'mon denis you could do justice to the murder toddler, you know you could

Considering Enemy is his weirdest, I'm not sure that he could honestly

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
might be a good movie idk

https://x.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1760354858270446076?s=20

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

might be a good movie idk

nah it's gonna be bad because *spins the hater wheel* feyd-rautha isn't wearing a speedo

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It'll be pretty funny at this point if the movie sucks.

Extra super bonus points if Dennis hotswaps this in at the last moment and hopes nobody notices

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if stephen mckinley henderson's character doesn't make an appearance however I will be asking for a refund

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

It'll be pretty funny at this point if the movie sucks.

Extra super bonus points if Dennis hotswaps this in at the last moment and hopes nobody notices

At least they turned Mars sideways for that one. drat Valles Marineris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'm pissed that Thufir Hawat is written out. His decision to die in Paul's arms rather than kill him was a tremendous moment in the books. F you Dennis!

Nobody respects mentats