Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
forums...forums never change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

There's even an emote for it, which also immediately got run straight into the ground when it was introduced
:regd08:

Jose posted:

its 16 years old lol

lmao (resigned)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jose posted:

its 16 years old lol

Sounds like something an 07 would say :haw: :07: :gb2gbs:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ahh poo poo, that's a lot of posts.

Begemot posted:

The only time this series has ever presented actual hard-number power levels, Lucci was the top scorer.

Therefore, we have more evidence for him being the strongest fighter in the world than anyone else :v:

I love this because it's like a lampooning of power levels. Oh, yeah, our secret government assassin group measures our strength by hitting our roly-poly teammate as hard as possible and then he assigns us a number.

I'm glad it never gets brought up again after this because it would ruin the bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope it gets brought up exactly once more if we ever see fukurou again, in that he says "oh yeah I stopped doing that because it almost killed me"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope it gets brought up exactly once more if we ever see fukurou again, in that he says "oh yeah I stopped doing that because it almost killed me"

Lucci goes awakening mode demanding to know how strong he is and Fukurou just starts crying

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That "My Mom Reads One Piece" series just hit Marineford, if you're into seeing people get emotional about Crescent Moon Stache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36JSzPYQ2gE

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"If that's true, then physics as we know it is dead"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

forums...forums never change

That's exactly why they died out! :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Ahh poo poo, that's a lot of posts.

I love this because it's like a lampooning of power levels. Oh, yeah, our secret government assassin group measures our strength by hitting our roly-poly teammate as hard as possible and then he assigns us a number.

I'm glad it never gets brought up again after this because it would ruin the bit.

Tbh even in Ennies Lobby the power levels barely meant anything, like yeah ostensibly Kaku and Jabura are on par but like nearly any ungulate is significantly stronger than a wolf, let alone a giraffe, the one that fights off apex predators.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

OP power levels are just ”whatever’s cool for the moment” and thats fine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rohan Kishibe posted:

We got some memes out of it. I think rat Shanks is funnier than Fraudhawk, though.

I absolutely love this edit where you've got memories/visions of the Gorosei beaming with love and friendship for Shanks :lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bisse posted:

The secret is that that's power levels in general.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bisse posted:

I'm jelly of this av and yeah power levels are all made up. the narrative decides who wins

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm jelly of this av and yeah power levels are all made up. the narrative decides who wins

Exactly.

The best recent example of this is the Seraphs. To make this arc's narrative work, they cannot be defeated, because it's important who has control over them. If Luffy and Zoro could simply punch them into submission, we wouldn't have stakes or excitement of scrambling to find the person with the right permissions, it wouldn't matter as much that there was a traitor or that Saturn was here, etc.

So every time anyone fights one, they're just trying to delay or survive. Oda doens't even show the fight in much detail, it's not important, what matters is that they're unstoppable, but have conditions that could result in them being stopped that are not simply being better at violence, whether that's the controls programmed into them, or perhaps... the power of love and friendship? We'll see!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah multiple times, in the story, things have happened regardless of power levels. there was the old joke that Nami was the first member of the crew with Haki because she could hurt Luffy or Garp's Fist of Love. Sanji does the seemingly impossible and his only acknowledgment is a wink and a thumbs up

vibes are what stories run on and we be chillin rn fam

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The reveal that the entire time York has been on the Den Den Mushi with the Gorosei, she's actually been held captive by the Straw Hats was so loving cool.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not entirely wrong, but for all the reasons listed in the past couple pages, do feel like it's a disservice to say it's all vibes given how relatively consistent Oda's actually been.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Plenty of stories try to coast on vibes and have nothing else of any substance, One Piece isn’t one of those

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Not entirely wrong, but for all the reasons listed in the past couple pages, do feel like it's a disservice to say it's all vibes given how relatively consistent Oda's actually been.

I can see your argument but it kinda implies vibes are lesser instead of a recontextualization. so to rephrase vibes are just emotions and this story does run on strong emotional threads

Luffy doesn't bother to have the story broken down for him because all he needs to know is who is stealing all the food. he doesn't goes oh poo poo this guy's power level is over 9000 I better avoid him. he goes you hurt my friend and I don't like that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've heard that sentiment in these threads a lot over the last 14 years but so much stuff that was claimed to be vibes like "why is sanji's leg on fire" and "why does luffy want to be pirate king" turn out to be important questions that are going to get answers. (haki is just ambition)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked during the Gear 5 debut when Gear 4 Snakeman’s punches were called out retroactively as something that should be impossible for rubber to do. Idk if Oda had that in mind when he first revealed Snakeman or if he’s just great at making it look like he had it planned all along.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Augus posted:

I liked during the Gear 5 debut when Gear 4 Snakeman’s punches were called out retroactively as something that should be impossible for rubber to do. Idk if Oda had that in mind when he first revealed Snakeman or if he’s just great at making it look like he had it planned all along.

doflamingo also acknowledges that gear 4 isn't working the way one would expect just a rubber fruit to work

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I can see your argument but it kinda implies vibes are lesser instead of a recontextualization. so to rephrase vibes are just emotions and this story does run on strong emotional threads

Luffy doesn't bother to have the story broken down for him because all he needs to know is who is stealing all the food. he doesn't goes oh poo poo this guy's power level is over 9000 I better avoid him. he goes you hurt my friend and I don't like that
I mean, Luffy could exist in a world with power levels over 9000, but he'd be the cool guy who doesn't care and fights the impossible fight.

The only time there are numerical power levels they're kind of a joke, but instead there's this great concept of bounties. Bounties are obviously not objective- someone in universe had to make a guess or a value judgement- so it's not Dragonball power level nonsense in terms of arbitrarily defining characters... but it still lets us have the fun moments of being shocked at how big a number is next to someone's name.

Honestly, I think Oda has done a great job mapping out a really coherent power-level terrain using mostly vibes. At least that's how it comes across to me. The relative power of two characters is usually really clear, if only in the vague sense of 'way more powerful' 'in the same league' or 'way weaker,' but then whatever needs to happen can happen, and it's exciting but not inexplicable when a weaker person beats a stronger person, 'cause it was just vibes to start with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah bounties are great because they're very clearly not an objective measurement of power, they're proof of a pirate's rep and that's much more important.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Incredibly funny that chopper had a bounty of like 50, then cured a plague and it went up to a 1000.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Runa posted:

Yeah bounties are great because they're very clearly not an objective measurement of power, they're proof of a pirate's rep and that's much more important.

Art imitates life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dig that the One Piece live action used bounties to showcase how big a deal each of the various characters who showed up were, but were very careful not to show Mihawk's numerical bounty before the canceled stamp and him cutting the poster in half. It's such a big deal that Luffy ends the first season with the biggest bounty so showcasing that there are dudes around with bounties hundreds of times higher than that would have really screwed with things.

Same deal in the comics, there is a gradual lift in the bounties but it isn't till hundreds of chapters in that we learn what the bounties were for Roger, Whitebeard, Kaido, Big Mom, Shanks, Mihawk etc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

iirc the earliest hint we get for how high up the big players are is right after Luffy's celebrating his $100 million bounty, it cuts over to a message to Whitebeard being delivered by a random newbie in Shanks's crew who's worth $90 million. So this big landmark number for Luffy puts him just over the lowest grunt on an Emperor's crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

Exactly.

The best recent example of this is the Seraphs. To make this arc's narrative work, they cannot be defeated, because it's important who has control over them. If Luffy and Zoro could simply punch them into submission, we wouldn't have stakes or excitement of scrambling to find the person with the right permissions, it wouldn't matter as much that there was a traitor or that Saturn was here, etc.

So every time anyone fights one, they're just trying to delay or survive. Oda doens't even show the fight in much detail, it's not important, what matters is that they're unstoppable, but have conditions that could result in them being stopped that are not simply being better at violence, whether that's the controls programmed into them, or perhaps... the power of love and friendship? We'll see!

The Seraphim are kids and the Strawhats are cool dudes. So of course they pull their punches and don't just straight Merc some mind controlled elementary schoolers.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Last I remember they were pretty able to deal with them besides heart chats from S-Snake at least among the heavy hitters of the crew, but were threats to everyone else which is still the vast majority of most Yonko crews.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

No Wave posted:

I've heard that sentiment in these threads a lot over the last 14 years but so much stuff that was claimed to be vibes like "why is sanji's leg on fire" and "why does luffy want to be pirate king" turn out to be important questions that are going to get answers. (haki is just ambition)
“Why is Sanji’s leg on fire” was answered immediately. He spins around real fast and is stupid enough to think that can set his leg on fire.

I guess nowadays he cut out the middleman and just thinks about spinning around real fast

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Was Oda explaining Sanji got a powerup due to vinsmoke genetic experimentation Wano's greatest misstep?

I think there's a strong argument for it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was Oda explaining Sanji got a powerup due to vinsmoke genetic experimentation Wano's greatest misstep?

It doesn't beat the Yamato bait n' switch for me

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Some interesting details involving BB from last chapter I didn't see mentioned:

1> Devon admires the Elder's power right before touching him, which could suggest that her copying plays some part in BB's ability to steal fruits. Might mean something, might not. The bigger detail is...
2> BB is mentioned as having a special lineage just a handful of chapters after Buccaneers are introduced during Kuma's flashback as an ancient bloodline near-eradicated for being a threat to the World Government. Like Kuma, BB is also a big ol' boy with some unusual physical properties, and this could play into how he manages to possess multiple fruits.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

IMO Sanji embracing his super soldier genes despite how much he hates having them so he can help make Luffy the pirate king isn’t all that bad. It’d be like if he started punching people because if he can’t make Luffy the king then what good are his hands anyway.

If anything I think Kanjuro becoming/making a fiery hate paint blob monster was lamer, I don’t think everything burning down really accomplished anything, and unlike the Ice Oni virus we didn’t get a cool moment out of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be real, i forgot that happened

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was aggressively mid so I can’t really blame you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Wano but Kanjuro repeatedly coming back did feel like a misstep to me. I much preferred him getting cut down by Kiku, and even him surviving that initially but knowing he wasn't going to survive the night still kind of worked with him trying to get Kiku back only to be given a final blow by Kin'emon. The fire-paint-monster thing was just an extra step too far for me and I think Oda could have found a way to include Yamato having to race against time to get to the basement and stop the bombs there from exploding without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

IMO Sanji embracing his super soldier genes despite how much he hates having them so he can help make Luffy the pirate king isn’t all that bad. It’d be like if he started punching people because if he can’t make Luffy the king then what good are his hands anyway.

If anything I think Kanjuro becoming/making a fiery hate paint blob monster was lamer, I don’t think everything burning down really accomplished anything, and unlike the Ice Oni virus we didn’t get a cool moment out of it.

what are you talking about, we got raizos whole thing about never being unprepared again after the castle fire 20 years ago and using the water zunesha sprayed all over zou to put it out along with jinbe doing the water manipulation. the whole point was cleansing fire of revenge being put out by cleansing water of purity, of looking to the future clear eyed having learned from the past but not being consumed by it, it was visual metaphor in this visual medium and it ruled