Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I don't think a young woman who lost her mother to suicide should be judged for venting personal frustrations about who is speaking for her dead mother

Not everything needs to be Posted About but that's not the world we live in. It's good she clarified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I don't think a young woman who lost her mother to suicide should be judged for venting personal frustrations about who is speaking for her dead mother

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

for gently caress's sake watch the goddamn video first before you go off

Really?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

This sounds a lot like kanye's recent hitler tour

https://x.com/brandonthurston/status/1760342858488266931

Holy poo poo the audio for this is somehow so much worse than the tweets.

gently caress Cena.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gavok posted:

I feel like Orton gave what would have been the best response for any top-level WWE guy so far, but it falls flat because it's Orton saying it.

I’d say Rollins had a much better response. To sum up:

-Never saw that side of Vince McMahon, so it’s shocking and jarring
-Hearing the details of the allegations was horrible and disgusting
-If it’s true, then everyone involved deserves what’s coming to them

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

gently caress John Cena.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Not everything needs to be Posted About but that's not the world we live in.
God drat, never has a post spoken to me more than now. Fuckin amen.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

This sounds a lot like kanye's recent hitler tour

https://x.com/brandonthurston/status/1760342858488266931
Cena almost trying to jump to the front of the Vince loyalty queue with "You don't know who your friends are until the poo poo hits the fan".

Yeah the poo poo hit alright.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I didn’t know Massero had a daughter. I can’t fathom going through something so awful and in the public eye :smith:

The kindest read I get from Cena is the possibility you can hold space for someone you care about while holding them accountable for their actions, ie “I love my friend and they have something massive to overcome, if they can do that I’ll be here.” Now, I’m unfamiliar with his “robot lawyer” interviews so I’m probably way off the mark and hoping for the best because I’d like to think the Make a Wish guy is a crumb better than keeping silent about a toxic, abusive workplace, but that wouldn’t surprise me either. Especially in the high control environment it sounds like WWF/E is.

I’m probably wrong aren’t I

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The kindest read I get from Cena is the possibility you can hold space for someone you care about while holding them accountable for their actions, ie “I love my friend and they have something massive to overcome, if they can do that I’ll be here.”

This whole statement falls apart when 1) Cena only gives "accountability" a mention and nothing more and 2) he's playing this like Vince was diagnosed with cancer. Not systematically abused and destroyed a person.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I didn’t know Massero had a daughter. I can’t fathom going through something so awful and in the public eye :smith:

The kindest read I get from Cena is the possibility you can hold space for someone you care about while holding them accountable for their actions, ie “I love my friend and they have something massive to overcome, if they can do that I’ll be here.” Now, I’m unfamiliar with his “robot lawyer” interviews so I’m probably way off the mark and hoping for the best because I’d like to think the Make a Wish guy is a crumb better than keeping silent about a toxic, abusive workplace, but that wouldn’t surprise me either. Especially in the high control environment it sounds like WWF/E is.

i can hold space if they like, fell off the wagon or went to jail for a drunken fight or something

once we get to credible rape accusations turbofuck their space

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

This whole statement falls apart when 1) Cena only gives "accountability" a mention and nothing more and 2) he's playing this like Vince was diagnosed with cancer. Not systematically abused and destroyed a person.

Even Stern's framing of it as a guy who 'got into hot water' like he sneezed on the buffet or something is pretty lovely and gave Cena an opportunity to give that lovely response.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

John Cena has always been a weird denial robot and I think he would've said something like this even if Vince McMahon was on camera kicking a puppy into jelly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HonorableTB posted:

This is pretty premature imo. But that was an absolute dogshit response Cena gave, good lord.

Assuming someone has knowledge of what was going on is not premature, it is a logical assumption because abuse in WWE is always out in the open.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Assuming someone has knowledge of what was going on is not premature, it is a logical assumption because abuse in WWE is always out in the open.

Realistically he probably did know that at least something was going on but what I was thinking was premature was the assumption that he had participated in it and everything. I find it hard to impossible to believe he wasn't aware that something was going on but I don't think he was making GBS threads on a woman's head during a threesome with Vince. Of course, he might have been a participant. But I don't think it's likely at all, he's not exactly Randy Orton. Knowing and not speaking up about it is still lovely and makes him complicit but that's a world away from taking active part in the torture of someone

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 21, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cena was the face of WWE for a decade. He knew. If he "didn't know" then it is willful ignorance. He probably took part.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

every "top guy" is guilty until proven innocent to me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah.

I'd like the focus to be on the Massaro case right now, and we will have all the time in the world to circle back and really go off on how much Cara Pipia sucks. That's definitely an important topic, but I do not think it should be the main topic right now. Flip the order of the tweets around and I'd probably have no issue with it.

EDIT: and yeah, gently caress Cena. Plenty of evidence up to this point to suggest you can't do it, but in between learning Mandarin you could have had someone teach you to read a room.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Cena is a piece of garbage who hides behind his aw shucks positivity bullshit in order to run cover for some of the most toxic insane psychos in the industry, this isn't a new thing with him.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Cena was the face of WWE for a decade. He knew. If he "didn't know" then it is willful ignorance. He probably took part.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Thinking about how many "top guys" have been active sex pests and this is depressingly accurate, I'm not inclined to be very generous in what I consider culpability at the moment w/r/t Cena and the rest. Didn't that one guy that looks like Ken Shamrock's cousin say something about him knowing about another incident or case that was way worse than anything that had been revealed so far? Wouldn't surprise me if it was something that involved a top guy like Cena, since we already know Lesnar was all involved (and should also be facing charges as well imo, come on..)

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 21, 2024

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’s kind of crazy how Stern gives a better (but not great) statement about his own experience before by saying you can still love the friend you had and the experiences you had, but that you can’t know them anymore. Then Cena jumps in with basically “I still love him exactly the same and always will no matter what”. It’s nuts.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I get the feeling these people won't even open up after Vince dies

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

Basically this. I think this has killed my interest in wrestling all together because of what I’ve learned and whats lurking just beyond the service. I’m just following this in hopes that some people are punished for their crimes.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Basically this. I think this has killed my interest in wrestling all together because of what I’ve learned and whats lurking just beyond the service. I’m just following this in hopes that some people are punished for their crimes.

Can't even watch AEW with a clear conscience right now because Tony Khan had to go and loving hire Ric Flair for some reason in the midst of all this. I don't know of any other sex monsters currently employed there but I feel disappointment is probably imminent there.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

HonorableTB posted:

Can't even watch AEW with a clear conscience right now because Tony Khan had to go and loving hire Ric Flair for some reason in the midst of all this. I don't know of any other sex monsters currently employed there but I feel disappointment is probably imminent there.

Justin Roberts and Darby Allin were both named during speaking out.

Justin for texting/messaging suggestively (at the least, can’t remember how far it went) with a minor and Darby for being mentally abusive and coercing sex through manipulation/threats with a former partner.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
:negative: It's just terrible poo poo all the way down and always has been

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I did a new episode of the Monumental Podcast going over how with every WWE abuse scandal it is seemingly an open secret in the company and thus it is suspect that people doubt Vince McMahon was openly bragging about his actions when that is very much in line with what he does.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/71-how-secret-is-wwe-s-history-of-abuse--58770933

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Justin Roberts and Darby Allin were both named during speaking out.

Justin for texting/messaging suggestively (at the least, can’t remember how far it went) with a minor and Darby for being mentally abusive and coercing sex through manipulation/threats with a former partner.

Sammy too, for harassing/assaulting a waitress and saying Sasha Banks was rapeable or something to that effect.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sammy too, for harassing/assaulting a waitress and saying Sasha Banks was rapeable or something to that effect.

I don't believe that first one was credible if I recall correctly.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I could maybe give WWE talent the benefit of the doubt that they didn't get the full scale of what was going/thought it was maybe just wrestler BS if they came out denouncing it and looked inward for how they helped enabled. But Cena's response 100% doesn't deserve that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sammy being aggressive in asking out a waitress and following her to her car when he was 20 is bad but also small in comparison and feels off topic. The Sasha stuff was gross and stupid but also small in comparison.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cena is a piece of garbage who hides behind his aw shucks positivity bullshit in order to run cover for some of the most toxic insane psychos in the industry, this isn't a new thing with him.

I seem to recall a story about Cena in the mid-2000s, where he was cheating on his then-wife with Mickie James; at some point either his wife found out, or Mickie started pushing for him to leave his wife and have a more serious relationship with her...and then Mickie was moved to whatever show Cena wasn't on, before being released altogether not very long after. That's in addition to him reportedly doing the usual jock rear end in a top hat stuff, like going to bars with other wrestlers and daring each other to bang the lady they thought was the ugliest/heaviest/etc. (again, while he was still married). Granted, that's nowhere near the level of Vince's crimes, but Cena's been a lovely jock for a very long time, good guy image be damned.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sammy being aggressive in asking out a waitress and following her to her car when he was 20 is bad but also small in comparison and feels off topic. The Sasha stuff was gross and stupid but also small in comparison.

The Sasha stuff was apparently considered bad enough that he got yanked off TV for a while and I believe he was ordered to complete sensitivity training. I hadn't heard about the waitress thing, but if it did happen, then it's still not good because it sounds like he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2024

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The only person to give a worse statement on this than Cena was Kevin Nash tbh

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I know wrestlers are dumb as hell and I'm still shocked Cena didn't have a better canned answer somehow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

faantastic posted:

I know wrestlers are dumb as hell and I'm still shocked Cena didn't have a better canned answer somehow.

After what he went through over Taiwan you'd think his PR team would have beaten it into his robot brain.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

After what he went through over Taiwan you'd think his PR team would have beaten it into his robot brain.

seems pretty clear to me that the PR stuff was beaten into his brain. by wwe.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

faantastic posted:

They don’t care, ultimately. To work for a wrestling company is to normalise this.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The last 3-4 years between all the speaking out stuff, Jericho being Jericho, Vince being Vince, AEW hiring Flair has completely killed my interest in wrestling. Now I just watch MMA where there is an entirely separate group of lovely people.

v--- I didn't say that to be flip; Just bemoaning the fact that all this lovely behavior is accepted and in some cases encouraged in combat sports and wrestling and I wish things could be better. Sorry if I came across differently.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 22, 2024

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Unperson_47 posted:

The last 3-4 years between all the speaking out stuff, Jericho being Jericho, Vince being Vince, AEW hiring Flair has completely killed my interest in wrestling. Now I just watch MMA where there is an entirely separate group of lovely people.

makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Unperson_47 posted:

What do you mean by Jericho being Jericho? If you are referring to the Hausman hit, that's been proven to be pretty much unsubstantiated.