Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Mihawk taking out Don Krieg and leaving only one survivor was good.

maybe if theyd kept the build up the same but garp hiring mihawk to take in luffy is terrible. they could have kept the setup exactly the same with krieg trying to take the baratie only for mihawk to show up. only mihawk takes out krieg or whatever. so much of the impact and tension are lost in the show. honestly i think anyone acting like the tv shows changes were improvements needs to reread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that they cast Coby older than he looks at the beginning of the manga so the eventual development into Cool Guy isn't quite as weird.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i understand that the tv show was the best we’re gonna get but this is the manga thread and i wont accept hyperbolic praise for it. lots of stuff is good but nothing is better than the manga. ill put my life on the line for this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The live action is worse than both the anime and especially the manga but im glad its successful

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As a person who actively bugs my friends to read a 1100+ chapter series, the anime is neigh impenetrable to me knowing the quality doesn't kick up until Whole Cake. If it happens sooner, I don't think I've seen evidence of it in the various clips I've seen over the years, tho seeing a few one off gags animated is fun.

Also, no break next week :unsmith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CatstropheWaitress posted:

As a person who actively bugs my friends to read a 1100+ chapter series, the anime is neigh impenetrable to me knowing the quality doesn't kick up until Whole Cake. If it happens sooner, I don't think I've seen evidence of it in the various clips I've seen over the years, tho seeing a few one off gags animated is fun.

Also, no break next week :unsmith:

What? I think you've been misinformed, the anime is good until Thriller Bark, and then the quality drops precipitously. I've heard people say Wano is good, but every clip I've seen has the same old problems: glacial pacing killing jokes and tension, awful coloring, animation that looks bad even when they put more frames in, etc.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

How much better would the anime be if it actually took a 2 year break during the timeskip?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still curious about that new anime version.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Begemot posted:

What? I think you've been misinformed, the anime is good until Thriller Bark, and then the quality drops precipitously. I've heard people say Wano is good, but every clip I've seen has the same old problems: glacial pacing killing jokes and tension, awful coloring, animation that looks bad even when they put more frames in, etc.

pacing I'll give you but the coloring and animation are pretty consistently great in Wano except for some big obvious drop-offs like, you know, every anime has

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gear 2, 3 and 4 all make perfect sense and is explained due to Monkey D. Luffy being a rubber man because he ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi :hmmyes:

:sickos:

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

Anecdotally, one of my friends finally got into One Piece in the last few months and they noticed the pacing getting way worse after the bridge jump in Enies Lobby. That said, what finally broke them and got them to abandon the comfort of having the episodes up on Netflix and finally switching to One Pace was some point in Thriller Bark.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mikeycp posted:

I gotta say I enjoy how the thing that's being thrown into question about gear 3 is Big Fist Big Hurt with no mention of He Turn Into Baby After

We all forget about He Turn Into Baby After

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

That reminds me, Luffy got the idea for Gear Third from the squid who balloons up so it can gently carry the Merry down from Skypiea, and it got smaller after it shrank back down, so Luffy thought that’s what’s supposed to happen and that’s the only reason he shrank after using G3. :3:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i understand that the tv show was the best we’re gonna get but this is the manga thread and i wont accept hyperbolic praise for it. lots of stuff is good but nothing is better than the manga. ill put my life on the line for this

Sanji is better, life forfeited.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

we have to ask ourselves: could Zoro beat Kaido..?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

That reminds me, Luffy got the idea for Gear Third from the squid who balloons up so it can gently carry the Merry down from Skypiea, and it got smaller after it shrank back down, so Luffy thought that’s what’s supposed to happen and that’s the only reason he shrank after using G3. :3:

Ahaha, I love this. :3:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scholtz posted:

How much better would the anime be if it actually took a 2 year break during the timeskip?

It should have done like Naruto and just done 2 years of filler. Wanna see that jet gatling ramen.

they want shady posted:

Anecdotally, one of my friends finally got into One Piece in the last few months and they noticed the pacing getting way worse after the bridge jump in Enies Lobby. That said, what finally broke them and got them to abandon the comfort of having the episodes up on Netflix and finally switching to One Pace was some point in Thriller Bark.

The bridge jump is when the anime caught up to the manga. It's also when they tried Boss Luffy and clip shows as filler. From the that point on the quality drops at an accelerating rate, and most non-masochists drop it by Marineford at the latest.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I agree that Marineford is the absolute latest you should watch the One Piece anime. Everything after that is pretty much zero killer, all filler, aside from random scattered parts that still probably use some cutting to remove Toei's obsession with stretching as little of the manga as it can into as much air time as possible.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Begemot posted:

my impression is the animation improved a fair bit with wano, especially for big moments, but all the other problems are still there, especially the glacial pacing which is worse than ever?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lih posted:

my impression is the animation improved a fair bit with wano, especially for big moments, but all the other problems are still there, especially the glacial pacing which is worse than ever?

Yeah, every clip I see of Wano makes it looks gorgeous, and there are some cool bits of filler interspersed with the usual exaggerated facial reactions, like the Seven Scabbards running/slaughtering through the hall, King’s rave party, and Green Bull fighting King/Queen instead of just a cut to them being sucked off, but it’s still mostly filler with a shiny coat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the episodes do still drag more than you'd want them to as a consequence of them needing to stretch out chapters and conserve the animation budget, but there was a noticeable uptick in the overall quality after about the first third of wano. most of the animation was still pretty unimpressive during that period, but, after the first big break they took due to the emergence of covid, they noticeably started funnelling way more money into it, so the scenes that ought to have looked good looked really loving good

a lot of the early wano fights look exactly like what you'd expect out of a weekly anime on a budget, but the later you get the more you just start getting theatre quality anime scenes poking their head in out of nowhere

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Speaking as someone who binged the entire anime from Loguetown to the beginning of Egghead, Wano is a massive massive massive improvement, at least until ~2/3 of the way through Onigashima

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Put a hat on DeVito and save billions on Chopper CGI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The animation quality in One Piece starts out decent but inconsistent, with notable spikes in quality at Enies Lobby and Marineford, then starts going downhill at Fishman Island, falls off a loving cliff in Dressrosa, starts to stabilize a bit in Whole Cake with some notable highlights towards the end in Snakeman’s debut and End Roll doing the manga justice. Then the quality jumps up massively in Wano.
There are still a few animation highlights even in the worst years of the anime but they are very sporadic and arent always where you’d expect them to be (Diamant vs Kyros received more love than Luffy vs Doflamingo for some reason)

The pacing, however, remains a consistent issue with the post-timeskip anime due to the anime being way too close to the manga and it’s probably always going to be the case since Toei doesn’t want to give up the timeslot by making the show seasonal. they won’t do traditional filler arcs because people will just stop watching until it returns to canon so it will be more work for less payoff.
Sometimes you have episodes like 1015 that make the most out of the slow pacing by using it to flesh out the story and characters in really good ways but a lot of the times it’s tons of held reaction shots, looping animations, redundant flashbacks, etc.

Augus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 22, 2024

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

As a dirty spoiler reader, dear Goda. Next week can't come soon enough.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Another example of "People calling out how Luffy's fruit does not work the way rubber works." Is in Dressrosa, Doffy calls out when he first sees Gear 4 "That's not how rubber works." Which... for the man with the bullshit string power, is hilariously hypocritical.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Communist Q posted:

Yeah. I thought the same thing!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Communist Q posted:

not seeing them. can you post them here, for discussion

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is out

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7670/one-piece-chapter-1108?date=22-2-2024-14

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sure
[Spoiler]luffy says hes gonna be the pirate king and does a really big punch[\Spoiler]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

Another example of "People calling out how Luffy's fruit does not work the way rubber works." Is in Dressrosa, Doffy calls out when he first sees Gear 4 "That's not how rubber works." Which... for the man with the bullshit string power, is hilariously hypocritical.

For some reason this is reminding me about Luffy tanking Kaido's Blast Breath pre-Gear 5.

"GUTS!"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good chapter. Really hype for next week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:stare:

WHAT

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This is insane

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo and no break? Hell yeah

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Big league exposition coming in

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

lmao Saturn's day's about to get a whole lot worse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vegapunk: I've come to make an announcement Saturn is a bitch rear end motherfucker.

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
Vegapunk doing the good old "if I die, this recording will reveal everything" gambit coming in clutch.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gear 5 luffy acting threatening is so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Feral Saturn is giving me Princess Mononoke vibes.