Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope they are secretly filming the other Gladiator 2 script while filming this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

$300+ mil for a movie that doesn’t need to exist

Also they show Russell Crowe but I don’t think he’s involved in this at all?

We're pretty much at that point where the movie is now 25 years old and you kinda have to remind people what it was to get them interested in a sequel. I'm sure there are a ton of people under 30 who never saw Gladiator and maybe vaguely remember that it was a Russell Crowe movie from their childhood but that's about it.

Which just reinforces your point that the movie doesn't need to exist and if they're treating it like some sort of Star Wars-level nostalgia trip they're probably going to be very disappointed with the box office returns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao is that h jon Benjamin voicing

Made it feel like it's just supposed to be a comedy instead if an action comedy. But then again the first of that limpid trailer is really boring and hacky backstory.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I mean, I'm basically the perfect target audience for a Gladiator 2 and I don't care about it beyond a "yeah, maybe, if I can be bothered".

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The first Gladiator only made $450 million. The most any of Ridley's historical epics have made since then is $300 million (Robin Hood), with the average being about $200 million.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 23, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't give a poo poo about Gladiator 2 since it's not the Nick Cave script.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gladiator was definitely a hit($450 mil is still over $800 mil adjusted for inflation), but a lot of it's pop culture impact was I think related to DVD, because it came out right when DVD hit the scene. Gladiator and The Matrix were like the two big DVDs that everyone needed to have, kinda like what Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills Cop were to the VHS era.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also it's a drat good movie.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Did they spend it on reanimating Oliver loving Reed?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Basebf555 posted:

We're pretty much at that point where the movie is now 25 years old and you kinda have to remind people what it was to get them interested in a sequel. I'm sure there are a ton of people under 30 who never saw Gladiator and maybe vaguely remember that it was a Russell Crowe movie from their childhood but that's about it.

Which just reinforces your point that the movie doesn't need to exist and if they're treating it like some sort of Star Wars-level nostalgia trip they're probably going to be very disappointed with the box office returns.
These movies that are sequels to 15-20 year old (or older) movies very rarely make any money. I’m still amazed that Top Gun 2 made so much money but a lot of that is because Cruise is still an A-list star somehow.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

Made it feel like it's just supposed to be a comedy instead if an action comedy. But then again the first of that limpid trailer is really boring and hacky backstory.

limpid means clear, straightforward, serene, untroubled. it's not related to the word limp

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/naruto-movie-in-the-works-1235833511/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

limpid means clear, straightforward, serene, untroubled. it's not related to the word limp

drat til

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1761138561447850447

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1761082032824742326?t=K_7a5-jCetvKSZzFI5PoeA&s=19

Definitely a good sign for a movie when it cost double the original budget.

Between this and the Joke2 budget reports, movies will cost $1.000 million by the end of this decade.

AceOfFlames posted:

Apparently some people with BTS knowledge have claimed that Joker 2 has some massive elaborate sequences involving dozens of extras, like old school musicals used to have. If that's the reason this thing is so expensive then worth it, IMHO.

Yeah that does sound good. Maybe licensing songs is expensive too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The actual Roman Colliseum cost about 670 million to 1.5 billion, adjusted for inflation. With modern construction equipment you could probably build it for 300 million.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FlamingLiberal posted:

$300+ mil for a movie that doesn’t need to exist

Also they show Russell Crowe but I don’t think he’s involved in this at all?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The actual Roman Colliseum cost about 670 million to 1.5 billion, adjusted for inflation. With modern construction equipment you could probably build it for 300 million.

Or

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1760820669325992182?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah Rowling being problematic doesn't lose purchased seats, people are interested in the magical world stuff and not who wrote them, unless they just suck. The second film was terrible and despite them casting doe the third fimn mads mikkelsen, a surefire way of attracting people, people remembered how badly the second film ended and just couldn't be bothered. The video game was heavily criticised for its storyline and gameplay, yet it was still a massive bestseller last year (although I suspect there won't be a sequel, what with the bad shape the game industry is in now, and that it lost most of its player base) because a 3d magic school game is an inherently attractive concept.

The funny thing with the game is I'm pretty sure the complains are less about culture war stuff and more that it's basically literally just another Ubisoft sandbox because that's the default setting for Video Game now, the only thing western publishers know how to make or think people want, instead of being Harry Persona or literally anything that'd actually be more fitting to the genre.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Casimir Radon posted:

I read a synopsis of the play a few years back and it comes across like really lovely fanfiction. I don’t care how well it’s acted or how amazing the production is. The story is awful.

I still remember the review that described it as "the most entertainingly bad 5 hour play you'll ever see"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Tyler Perry literally oh no anywaying that the movie industry is about to see a lot of skilled people out of work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tyler Perry has always been a cheap person, so it doesn't surprise me he'd go for this. I've seen Sora's examples on Twitter and their indistinguishable from stock footage, EXCEPT that it's badly composited with elements disappearing and dropping in. Unless you're going for that ghostly, dreamlike look, something a talented vfx team and editor can do anyway, it's completely worthless for filmmaking.

Also, studios have done virtual location shooting for a good two decades already, with the primary actors and foreground on a green screen set and the background filmed separately. It allows for a certain amount of control in shot placement that AI isn't going to give you. I'm thinking Perry's talk of already using AI is him either confusing VFX or exaggerating an existing filmmaking tech as AI. The latter seems to be pretty common hyping up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I think the people who will be the earliest to adopt aren't going to be the WB's and the Netflixes because of scrutiny, but the Tyler Perrys and, some of y'all don't want to hear it

the Neil Breens

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I showed the previewed examples to my Film class and students thought they just looked like good video game cinematics

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

In the article he mentions using AI filters instead of aging makeup for some upcoming projects. I'm morbidly curious about how uncanny that ends up looking.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 24, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

High Warlord Zog posted:

In the article he mentions using AI filters instead of aging makeup for some upcoming projects. I'm morbidly curious about how uncanny that ends up looking.

Perry already looks pretty uncanny himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This might just be the kind of poisoning the well for AI that we need.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

FlamingLiberal posted:

$300+ mil for a movie that isn't even written by Nick Cave.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tyler Perry's Medea's AI Nightmare

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Tyler Perry’s Audience’s “Boo!”: A M4D34 Algorithm

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah that does sound good. Maybe licensing songs is expensive too.

I would've thought the Gary Glitter catalog would be cheap these days.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Shageletic posted:

Tyler Perry's Medea's AI Nightmare

Techbros torn between celebrating the investment and being "concerned" about a massive first entertainment application being with/for... "those" people.

"They're gonna make it woke!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are multiple people on social media saying that they have clean copies of Coyote vs Acme and will release it if WB trashes the movie. Although this obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There are multiple people on social media saying that they have clean copies of Coyote vs Acme and will release it if WB trashes the movie. Although this obviously needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'd believe this since it seems a lot more people saw it unlike Batgirl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems that the big difference between the two is Batgirl still needed more work done while it sounds like Coyote vs Acme was completely finished.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That and the Coyote vs Acme people probably learned to keep backups saved locally. Two hours before the Batgirl announcement WB had IT go in and remove all copies from the shared drives.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WB has also been shopping Coyote vs. Acme around so I assume that there are going to be more copies around than Batgirl ever had

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
One of the reasons Warner Bros must be so reluctant to have the film released at this point is that the press tour is going to become all about their actions, and the bad publicity of that will be compounded if the film is a hit. It's not a good look now, but at least the normies don't know yet.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So just don't have a press tour, they're useless anyway