Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
The robot waterboarding was better then I imagined. CIA-BOB really is a one trick pony. Also is Bravern surveiling people in the baths cause how did he know about Smith's full body wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sure Bravern heard about it from legitimate gossip channels. He probably sets aside part of his day to socialize between building scale models.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It was just weird that the bad guy wanted to die, but it had to be in a specific way.

I saw it as an extension of the type of character who really wants to be killed by a better swordsman etc, only they're a robot. And if you're a robot, you have to go boom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's like Face McShooty from Borderlands.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kwyndig posted:

It was just weird that the bad guy wanted to die, but it had to be in a specific way.

They're called "Death Drives!"

This is just spoiled outright by their profiles on the site, which have been up for a couple weeks now (the thread even linked them!) and spell out what kind of death each of them seeks. Superbia's is a gallant warrior's death, while Cupiridas' is an absurd, chaotic death.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway I have new theories.

Put simply, we're in a triple time loop. The line about the brain system "picking its own targets" is extremely sus. The way it goes is this:
1) The brain system is originally developed. Lulu Prime is the subpilot. At some point she dies and the system goes Skynet from negative feedback. Being based on rage and depression, it creates the Death Drives, robots that want to die in ways based on the seven eight (original) cardinal sins. Because it still needs a human core, it clones Lulus, but the Lulus are arrested and have no vital animation that could conflict with the Death Drives' death drives. Possibly this symbolizes being dead inside or having nothing to live for.
2) The Death Drives go back in time, possibly because they've killed everyone else and there's no one left to kill them. Someone, possibly Smith and/or someone connected with the alternate Lulu, successfully hijacks a Superbia and manages to pilot it. Because of the brain sync, Superbia (the Death Drive of Pride, known for liking a brave and noble fight) begins melding with Smith, a hero fanboy, and realizes that the Drives can get more power from actual, active human emotions than just the motions of life, possibly mutating into a "Life Drive."
3) Superbia/Smith remodels itself based on Sparkaiser and goes back in time again, seeking out Smith's rival/boyfriend to be its second(?) pilot. We are here.

The main hitch in this theory is that Bravern didn't know about Lulus, and the new Superbia seems to know what a Lulu is, if not that they're potential human beings. It's possible that the information was lost when Superbia's mind turned into Bravern's, but that's a bit of a stretch.

e: also the final boss will be an evolved version of the brain robot, or have the brain robot hidden in its core. An Edgy Smith will be in it, and Isami will have to G Gundam it.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 23, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alternative: Bravern is also a death drive and he wants to go out as a hot blooded super robot with a psychologically scarred pilot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Caphi posted:

Anyway I have new theories.

Put simply, we're in a triple time loop. The line about the brain system "picking its own targets" is extremely sus. The way it goes is this:
1) The brain system is originally developed. Lulu Prime is the subpilot. At some point she dies and the system goes Skynet from negative feedback. Being based on rage and depression, it creates the Death Drives, robots that want to die in ways based on the seven eight (original) cardinal sins. Because it still needs a human core, it clones Lulus, but the Lulus are arrested and have no vital animation that could conflict with the Death Drives' death drives. Possibly this symbolizes being dead inside or having nothing to live for.
2) The Death Drives go back in time, possibly because they've killed everyone else and there's no one left to kill them. Someone, possibly Smith and/or someone connected with the alternate Lulu, successfully hijacks a Superbia and manages to pilot it. Because of the brain sync, Superbia (the Death Drive of Pride, known for liking a brave and noble fight) begins melding with Smith, a hero fanboy, and realizes that the Drives can get more power from actual, active human emotions than just the motions of life, possibly mutating into a "Life Drive."
3) Superbia/Smith remodels itself based on Sparkaiser and goes back in time again, seeking out Smith's rival/boyfriend to be its second(?) pilot. We are here.

The main hitch in this theory is that Bravern didn't know about Lulus, and the new Superbia seems to know what a Lulu is, if not that they're potential human beings. It's possible that the information was lost when Superbia's mind turned into Bravern's, but that's a bit of a stretch.

e: also the final boss will be an evolved version of the brain robot, or have the brain robot hidden in its core. An Edgy Smith will be in it, and Isami will have to G Gundam it.

Something less complex is basically what I'm thinking.

Smith's new robot looks like it's based on Bravern but the reverse is going to be true, it's proto-bravern and Smith, Lulu and their cool robot are going to get lost at some point and the deathdrives/bravern are going to just be the next step in that tech with the pilot's mind being merged with the robot and lulu being the fuel source. Maybe all the deathdrives were normal dudes once who had to become giant robots, and bravern is smith having finally traveled back through space and time now a giant robot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think it's gonna be a time loop I'm guessing they are alien and somehow a robot show broadcast so think Earth is all Gung ho for robot fights and whelp it isn't

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeuTPdsS8w

We're getting Rambo Lulu

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I love wherever this plot is going, and the dialogue as well. But the physical humor they're consistently animating in is what endears this anime to me the most. All these little flourishes that just elevate the show from 'good' to one of the most enjoyable shows I've watched in a long long time. Bravissimo to the director and storyboarders and animators.

Episode 7 gifs:

Every one of those moments got a hearty guffaw out of me, and CIA bob delivering on the promised gag brought tears to my eyes.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Wikipedia says that was the last episode of the season. Sure felt like it too. I hope there's a second half or season 2 ready to go, because that abrupt of a non-ending would be an awful way for this series to end.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I don't think it's gonna be a time loop

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 29, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh what huh

Huuuuuuuuh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait they split a cour in half? How many episodes is the show supposed to be?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
8 seems like a really weird number for an anime season though???

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm sure wikipedia is just full of poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anilist says 12 eps

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fangz posted:

I'm sure wikipedia is just full of poo poo.

You can't trust wikipedia on an ongoing series because nobody pays attention to the pages who gives a drat about accuracy. Where's the source.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
anichart says episode 8 of 12, wikipedia is weird

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Just finished watching latest EP.

Whuuuuuuu?

Also post credits scene for anyone that missed it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the plot was crazy, definitely subject to we've only got four episodes left syndrome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wikipedia's episode counts go by episodes currently aired, not planned episodes overall.

Eight episodes have aired, so there are technically eight episodes of the show at the current point in time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's better than one pilebunker? TWIN Pilebunkers with explosive tips!

Anyways, Knuth can control time and space apparently. Weren't they all aboard the fleet before the mist hit and then they were back on land? Poor guy in the one TS got tossed into space.

Got a good laugh out of Cupiditas coming back again just to immediately get blown up.

Bang-Bang-BangBang-Bang-BangBangBang-Bang BLUE BALLS.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 1, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What a weird episode. Knuth just being stupidly overpowered and horrifically killing everyone in Smith's squad except the two women, but now that time manipulation in play no reason to think that will stick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New theory Bravern is Lewis's son after he finally gets inside a Deathdrive and gets it on with Knuth and they time travel. Since Bravern is apparently a fan of James Cameron movies like The Abyss I'm sure he'd be aware of the Kyle Reese twist from Terminator.

So Bravern knows what a cool dude Isami is because his dad Lewis told him all about it and he's a fan of Earth Culture because of all the stories papa Lewis tells.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Weren't they all aboard the fleet before the mist hit and then they were back on land?
I couldn't follow exactly where they were either, somewhere between Japan and Europe?
Also apparently nothing's happening in the rest of Asia or Africa, just going to sail on by to Europe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slyphic posted:

I couldn't follow exactly where they were either, somewhere between Japan and Europe?
Also apparently nothing's happening in the rest of Asia or Africa, just going to sail on by to Europe

Well three Deathdrive towers made a beeline to go visit Bravern because Cupiditas went "dudes, come meet Bravern it's sick wooooo" so that only leaves two other towers still messing about on Earth.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 1, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

so that tower worked like some kind of backup for the robots? why that one in particular, feels like running out of episodes itis again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kwyndig posted:

so that tower worked like some kind of backup for the robots? why that one in particular, feels like running out of episodes itis again

The big one in space was the mothership tha the smaller towers dropped from in episode 1, Independence Day style. If the towers are a backup for the deathdrives perhaps the mothersbip was a backup for the towers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arc Hammer posted:

The big one in space was the mothership tha the smaller towers dropped from in episode 1, Independence Day style. If the towers are a backup for the deathdrives perhaps the mothersbip was a backup for the towers.

Okay that makes sense, I had forgotten some of the details in the weeks following the premier.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1763267267708559760/photo/1

Also apparently Chafurin and Hikaru Midorikawa voicted Pessimism and Vanitas, so you've got more Gundam alumni. And it should be Kunus rather than Knuth, but the subtitles are a bit wack for this show already.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 1, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/bangbravern/status/1763399045580804425?t=Utn1R60LpK2lZSVkTKzsNQ&s=19

Rip in peace you big explodey bastard.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good Smile Japan announced a 20cm Bravern pre-orders in Japan now, coming Jan 2025. Good Smile US will probably have it up for pre-order soon.

https://mechasmile.com/bangbravern/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He really does just fly crotch forward doesn't he?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's weird how he rotates his butt to be on the same side as his face

Also this ep slapped, this show slaps. I'm very much enjoying myself and still will be even if it doesn't fully come together just cause it's got so many good elements

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

He really does just fly crotch forward doesn't he?

So does a Valkyrie if you think about it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

smith...?? smith?????? :ohdear:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
That explosion imploded at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007