Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shugojin posted:

Dogs can be great helpers for kids. When I was little my parents had a Mystery Amish Dog whose name was Georgia. When my sister or I would cry she would howl. My sister is 5 years older so it was discovered before I was around by the following exchange:

sister: *crying*
georgia: AWOOOO
sister: *stops crying, looks at dog, resumes*
sister: *stops crying, looks at dog, resumes*
sister: "STOP THAT, I'M TRYING TO CRY"

Right now his Awoo's are reserved for ending nap time and verboten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Freja doesn't howl at all! I kind of wish she would sometimes for comedic reasons, but I'm sure it would old very fast too. My partner's actually tried howling at her a bunch to try and get her to mimic it and she just won't have any of it thankfully.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I can’t get Newton to do it either. He just looks at me like :what:

Also he has gotten over his fear of frisbees but he still can’t catch them, or pick them up

https://i.imgur.com/gI2XgY5.mp4

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
That is so loving :shobon: Freya never had an issue picking them up but she use to fall over it as it was taller than she was for awhile. She's killed her Frisbee now and I need to buy a replacement but I've not got around to it yet.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My dog has the same problem with solid inflexible Frisbees.

I highly recommend flexible Frisbees or Frisbees with a hole in the middle, or some combination thereof.

Makes it easier to pick up, and with flexible Frisbees, they can fold in half leading to hilarity when they're holding it folded in their mouth and it looks like they have giant red lips.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"so how is Apollo enjoying the snow?"

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

My dog, despite her more than negligible Husky heritage will only howl in response to emergency vehicle sirens.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

St_Ides posted:

My dog has the same problem with solid inflexible Frisbees.

I highly recommend flexible Frisbees or Frisbees with a hole in the middle, or some combination thereof.

Makes it easier to pick up, and with flexible Frisbees, they can fold in half leading to hilarity when they're holding it folded in their mouth and it looks like they have giant red lips.

Yeah I grabbed this one because it was super cheap and I wasn’t sure he was going to like it, which was the right move at the time since it flew in a haunted floating fashion and not a tumbling parabolic arc like an honest god-fearing stick and was not to be trusted. Time for an investment grade dog specific frisbee, I like the ring ones too so he can grab it from the inside and it makes a ring around his head.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

StrixNebulosa posted:

"so how is Apollo enjoying the snow?"

Good dog

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah I grabbed this one because it was super cheap and I wasn’t sure he was going to like it, which was the right move at the time since it flew in a haunted floating fashion and not a tumbling parabolic arc like an honest god-fearing stick and was not to be trusted. Time for an investment grade dog specific frisbee, I like the ring ones too so he can grab it from the inside and it makes a ring around his head.

My dog prefers the ring style too, I'm pretty sure it's so she can see better while carrying it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Gabriel and Erik don't howl either, Erik has that awful lovely schnauzer screech and Gabriel has a not-great lhasa apso sounding growly bark. I miss Darla's voice so much, it was like a beautiful yodel. She didn't bark or howl, she sang :smith:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It’s 70 degrees in the south so Ness and her beard went to the dog ranch for eval day for future boarding

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looking like the lorax in that second pic. As befits the name of her owner.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross howls in his sleep sometimes and it’s very funny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pavlov and I are at the hotel, with a cross-country flight early tomorrow morning. He has no drat idea what's going on, or that we're never going to the old house again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pavlov and I are at the hotel, with a cross-country flight early tomorrow morning. He has no drat idea what's going on, or that we're never going to the old house again.

He looks ready to party

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

He looks ready to party

He gets pretty bad anxiety. I have him on trazodone for this trip, and even then he's showing signs of nerves (shadowing me whenever I go to the bathroom, waking up from a nap and panting nervously).

The last major hurdle is getting him checked in to the flight tomorrow morning. Once he's in his crate and past the registration counter, I think we should be clear.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ah poor guy, sounds like you're doing everything you can to make this easier for him though

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Looking forward to an update on Pavlov and hearing he's made the journey nice and well and that he's enjoying his new home.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pochi and her crew at Day Training. She is actually helping other dogs develop their confidence too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Looking forward to an update on Pavlov and hearing he's made the journey nice and well and that he's enjoying his new home.

I'm currently on the plane, waiting for takeoff. Pavlov is in cargo, very audibly barking his head off.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

I'm currently on the plane, waiting for takeoff. Pavlov is in cargo, very audibly barking his head off.

oh wow, you can hear him through the plane? hearty lungs!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm a little concerned lately at how much time Campion, a nine-month-old golden retriever, spends breathing heavily while doing nothing in particular. He's not panting, and he has plenty of water (not that it's hot), but he spends a lot of time breathing loud, short breaths that make me wonder if something is going on. Is this a sign of nervousness or something?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

I hope you’re okay in all this as well. If I was in your position I would be on just as many anxiety meds as Pavlov.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We made it to our destination intact! :buddy:

I then proceeded to immediately lock us both out of the new house, and had to call a locksmith. :negative:

But we made it, that's the important thing. Time to sleep for 40 hours.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And the longest walk award goes to

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Congratulations

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I saw a TikTok of a dog-friendly resort in Cancún and it kinda made me want my next dog to be airplane cabin sized so I can be that guy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

And the longest walk award goes to

Pavlo does not want to go for a walk this morning. He also got up a few times in the middle of the night, very confused, and had to be coaxed back to bed.

We'll get there, but there's a lot of adjusting to do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pavlo does not want to go for a walk this morning. He also got up a few times in the middle of the night, very confused, and had to be coaxed back to bed.

We'll get there, but there's a lot of adjusting to do.

When we moved (twice) Brisket was the same way. He kept expecting us to eventually go home, not really understanding that this was his new home.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

When we moved (twice) Brisket was the same way. He kept expecting us to eventually go home, not really understanding that this was his new home.

I've moved twice since I got Teddi. He'd be stressed out during the move itself but once he saw his bed unpacked at the new place he settled in pretty well.

He usually spends about a week trying to take us back to our old apartment during walks before he realizes he needs to scope out his new stomping grounds.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Poor Brisket went from an apartment with a dog park and tons of pals (who rotated because they all kept moving away :( ) to a temporary apartment with no dog park, to a house with a yard but all the suburb dogs are so mean.
I need to get him to the off leash parks more often but his new baby sister is so needy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Most of the dogs I've known have adjusted well. Snowbell mostly just insisted on sleeping downstairs where she could watch the front door for a couple weeks after I moved out of my parents' place but she got used to that and stopped needing to be a watch dog on that nature once she settled in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo has moved twice and far as I can tell, does not care. He's always excited to explore a new place, and he's always excited to be wherever I am, so he's all "woo!"

e: The flipside is that he loses his entire poo poo if I go anywhere without him, ever. If I am not there, NOTHING IS OKAY BARK BARK BARK ABRK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I hate dropping Pongo off at boarding, even if it’s just for a weekend trip. I know they take good care of him there but he has to be so bored in his individual room. He needs over an hour of exercise a day to get his energy out.

When we met him at the shelter, the poor guy was beyond excited because he had all that energy to get out from being stuck there for five months with minimal exercise.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 23, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

I hate dropping Pongo off at boarding, even if it’s just for a weekend trip. I know they take good care of him there but he has to be so bored in his individual room. He needs over an hour of exercise a day to get his energy out.

When we met him at the shelter, the poor guy was beyond excited because he had all that energy to get out from being stuck there for five months with minimal exercise.

Pavlov was always super excited to go to the kennel. Mind you, he was also super excited to see me when I picked him up, but I think they took good care of him there.

I'm gonna have to find a new doggy lodging place now. It's definitely not worth flying him across the country so he can stay at the old kennel :v:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Pavlov was always super excited to go to the kennel. Mind you, he was also super excited to see me when I picked him up, but I think they took good care of him there.

I'm gonna have to find a new doggy lodging place now. It's definitely not worth flying him across the country so he can stay at the old kennel :v:

I mean, that's one way to desensitise him to flying.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Our old dog Stella was so chill about everything. She barely registered when we moved. She also adjusted super fast when we got her from her previous owners at age 2. Aside from dog reactivity it seemed like nothing bothered her. Wish I knew her secret lol

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton is currently staying with my parents while I’m away for work (last loving time I swear) and he does pretty well with them, probably because they love the poo poo out of him and have great walking areas. I miss the hell out him and I’m only surviving from the pictures I get from every walk.

His shadow looks like a wolf

He dug a hole and deployed airplane ears

Edit: forgot to mention my relief hearing about TMA and Pavlov’s successful journey. Hope he settles into his new home comfortably.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

dphi posted:

Does anyone have a wall-mount dog door they can recommend? Looking on amazon, most of the options have good reviews but that doesn't mean a whole lot these days.

This BarksBar one has pretty good reviews from various sites but I'm not sure about the looks of the aluminum trim - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASL9XD0?th=1

I like the look of this one, and the three flaps seem like they'd do the best job of insulating. Not sure about the brand though and it's a newish product - https://www.amazon.com/Eillion-Closing-Aluminum-Expandable-Suitable/dp/B0CN8ZVQMP/?th=1

PetSafe seems like the big player here but we currently have one of their slider door inserts and kinda hate it. Their wall-mount doors seem kinda cheaply made too from what I've seen.

Any input appreciated, I've been hesitant to cut a hole in our house but we're probably not moving any time soon and it would certainly be more convenient than our current setup.

Revisiting this, I ended up going with this one and I'm happy with it. Good materials, easy install, would recommend.

Charlie getting the hang of it, Oscar not so much.

Had to make a little platform

I've got the inner flap taken off for now since they're used a single flap. Will try adding it back on once they're used to the new location.