Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The JSA itself is not above loving with Hakuho either-- they changed the rules around elder stocks when he retired IIRC in a way that seemed at the time to be targeted towards him, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are coming down extra hard on him because he's given them an excuse for any kind of response.

I could be wrong, however. If he has condoned this behaviour or not done anything to rein in Hokuseiho, he deserves the response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hokuseiho speedran Ichinojo's entire career. The only fast thing he ever did.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

The JSA itself is not above loving with Hakuho either-- they changed the rules around elder stocks when he retired IIRC in a way that seemed at the time to be targeted towards him, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are coming down extra hard on him because he's given them an excuse for any kind of response.

I could be wrong, however. If he has condoned this behaviour or not done anything to rein in Hokuseiho, he deserves the response.

Don't think they are coming down on him unfairly on this. Stablemasters getting hammered when their dudes gently caress up seems par for the course.

Isegahama and Michinoku both lost their director spots for bullying issues so demotion seems like default punishment.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bunch of awful poo poo happened in Naurto beya last year and absolutely nothing came of it. I do think they're being extra hard on Hakuho but it does seem like he does deserve some kind of reprimand.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Boogalo posted:

Bunch of awful poo poo happened in Naurto beya last year and absolutely nothing came of it. I do think they're being extra hard on Hakuho but it does seem like he does deserve some kind of reprimand.

Not arguing that he doesn't deserve some kind of reprimand because at face value we have a rikishi whose behaviour was chronically terrible and whose stablemaster did not correct it. I'm just not sure I trust a JSA that includes individuals like Shibatayama to be deciding what is and is not appropriate here.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shitbat ordered a code red on one of his wrestlers and still got promoted, so yeah.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Palate cleanser:

https://x.com/SumoFollower/status/1759644497284050980?s=20

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I know everything on Sumo Prime Time is by its nature a puff piece, but I like what Kak has to say.

He doesn't really talk about winning or getting his guys to sekitori/Makuuchi/etc as goals, but rather just training and developing them effectively. And talking about how he needs to work on his communication skills and earning the trust if his kids seems like something that wouldn't even occur to more authoritarian coaches.

Also interesting to hear about the recruiting roadblock of parents not wanting their kids to go into pro sumo because they are afraid of what happens if they don't make it to the top ranks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah can't feel too sorry for hakuho on this one tho i'm glad he's just demoted and not out of sumo.

obv hokuseiho would deserve a forced resignation no matter what his in ring career looked like but i cant even feel its a waste from what we saw. young enough he could've put it together obv but he showed no signs of change and was the most boring top level rikishi to watch

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There is a post on the sumo subreddit that quotes this Yahoo Japan news post (I cannot see it as I am in the U.K.). Apparently Hokuseiho not only bullied people but stole money from the younger wrestlers.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Dipping pockets in the locker room is such a lovely move, absolute banishment is the only thing you can do to someone who steals from team mates in any sport, and he apparently did it more than once?

Does suck to hear Hak didn't control the situation, I read a translation from a tabloid that alluded to Hokuseiho having "dirt" on Hak as the reason, but surely that's just tabloid speculation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Robbing kids when you're on salary rank is somehow even more pathetic.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Bullying and stealing are bad things to do but controversial opinion: he's only 22 and grew up in an environment where these things are kinda common. He should be given a chance to repent and do better.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

bessantj posted:

There is a post on the sumo subreddit that quotes this Yahoo Japan news post (I cannot see it as I am in the U.K.). Apparently Hokuseiho not only bullied people but stole money from the younger wrestlers.

I got the same message about the UK, and I was curious so I fired up the VPN:

quote:

It has been learned that Hokuseiho, a makuuchi sumo wrestler who grew up in Sapporo, has been recommended to retire after assaulting a junior wrestler. Officials say he will submit his retirement notification on the 22nd.

According to people involved, the recommendation for Kitaseiho to retire will be compiled by the Japan Sumo Association's Compliance Committee on the 21st, and is expected to be discussed at an extraordinary board meeting on the 23rd.
At the same time, Kita Seiho's mentor, former yokozuna Hakuho's master Miyagino, will also be questioned about his supervisory responsibilities, and punishment such as demotion to two classes will be proposed.

He grew up in Sapporo and paid a courtesy visit to Mayor Akimoto. According to the official website of the Japan Sumo Association, Kita Seiho was born in Mongolia and grew up in Higashi Ward, Sapporo from the age of 5. He is a 22-year-old athlete who takes advantage of his height of over 2 meters. As a Toriguchi wrestler, he has steadily risen through the ranks, becoming a first dohyo wrestler at the spring tournament in March 2020, a new juryo wrestler at the fall tournament in September 2021, and a makuuchi sumo wrestler at the spring tournament in March 2023.

At 22 years old, he was a promising young man who could play in the top 6 places in Makuuchi, but...

He is a promising young man who has already won 6 places in Makuuchi, but his first place in January has been canceled...He is a man I have known since elementary school and called him a "cheerleader", and is the representative director of a company who gave me makeup mawashi. The man responded as follows:

- I've known this man since I was in elementary school, and he was an honest and good boy. - We've known each other for probably 13 years, and we met once or twice a year. - "I'm not good in the morning." He said that he was getting scolded by his boss for oversleeping. ・I've heard bad rumors about violence from people around me since last year. ・I'm blessed with a good physique, so I guess I was arrogant...
・I was shocked to be advised to retire, what a shock!
・There are about 50 people in the "cheer group" that I am active in, and from the morning I sent emails saying "disappointed" and "lonely" to Mr. Tsurushima and Kitaseiho from the sponsoring company.

Koji Tsurushima, representative director of the sponsoring company, and chairman of the Hokkaido Supporters' Association, has supported him since he was a junior high school student. ・I feel very sorry for him. I thought he was a kind and not violent child. ・In December of last year, a person involved said: There were a few rumors of violence. ・Last night (the 21st), he spoke with his master, and he expressed remorse. ・He said, ``There is nothing we can do about disciplinary action.'' ・Following this incident, his mother went to Tokyo, crying in shock.・I think he will submit his retirement notification today (22nd). ・I will tell him once he has calmed down, but I want him to get back on his feet as soon as possible and do his best.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/hakkeyoi_sumo/status/1760565993837896039
Seems the theft was something he'd done since he was in school, according to Nikkan Sports.
:smith:

The poo poo just keeps getting worse:
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/02/23/kiji/20240223s00005000010000c.html

DeepL posted:

The Japan Sumo Association will hold a special board of directors meeting at Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo today to discuss disciplinary action against Miyagino Oyakata (former yokozuna Hakuho) for his supervisory responsibility for the violent behavior of his apprentice, makuuchi Hokushobo (22). It is known that the Compliance Committee (chaired by Takayuki Aonuma, former chief public prosecutor of Nagoya High Public Prosecutors Office), which was commissioned to investigate the matter, has compiled a proposal for a two-level demotion, a pay cut, and a recommendation that Hokushobo retire.
When the committee learned of the numerous acts of violence reported at the Compliance Committee meeting on January 21, one official lamented, "I wanted to cover my ears during the course of the meeting. For more than a year, he frequently hit junior rikishi with sticks and other objects. He was also found to have committed a number of other acts of violence and bullying, such as using spray cans to set them on fire. It is believed that he had other "additional crimes," and a recommendation to retire was inevitable.

His master, Miyagino Oyakata, consistently insisted at the Compliance Committee that he had no knowledge of Hokushoho's misconduct. Some say that he had been receiving reports of damage from his disciples, but had remained silent about it.
Today's board meeting has become a tumultuous one.

What in the absolute gently caress.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 22, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to downplay kleptomania but I mean that's quite a jump to a possible conclusion.

It could actually be a condition. Or it could be a punk kid who likes free money and seems to get away with it?

Or.. you know.. setting his teammates on fire..

what the gently caress

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, it's a bit of a jump to say it's a condition, odds are he's just been a petty thief all his life. :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's more like he used spray cans to singe people, but, you know, tomayto, tomahto. What a jerk.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Average Lettuce posted:

Bullying and stealing are bad things to do but controversial opinion: he's only 22 and grew up in an environment where these things are kinda common. He should be given a chance to repent and do better.

I was living on my own for 4 years by the time i was 22. Thats a whole adult.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760877749495902583
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760877755166511479
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760856939720835182
Hakuho is losing his stable for an "unspecified period."
Whoops.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 23, 2024

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bentai posted:

Hakuho is losing his stable for an "unspecified period."
Whoops.
Just for Haru. Then he gets physical oversight to make sure he's running it properly.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm really disappointed to hear that Miyagino knew what was going on specifically and did not do anything about it.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

I was living on my own for 4 years by the time i was 22. Thats a whole adult.

Still, your experience is not his. Having never been told no to what you do and suddenly having your career ended seems extreme. I'm not saying he should not be punished.

And hell, I'd say Hakuho should be more severely punished, his inaction led to two rikishi continue suffering from bullying and stealing, and another one to lose his career.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Average Lettuce posted:

And hell, I'd say Hakuho should be more severely punished, his inaction led to two rikishi continue suffering from bullying and stealing, and another one to lose his career.
https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/articles/-/293172

DeepL posted:

The report states, "Considering the fact that Miyagino has been punished three times during his active career, it is inappropriate for him to remain a member of the Sumo Association, which is a public interest corporation and has pledged to eradicate violence, and his responsibility is extremely grave, so we have determined that a disciplinary action involving demotion and reduction in compensation is appropriate. The committee also concluded that it was inappropriate for him to remain in his position as a member of the Sumo Association.

Mr. Shibatayama, former head of the Public Relations Department (former yokozuna Ohnokuni), said, "Some of the Compliance Committee members expressed the harsh opinion that [Oyakata Miyagino] should be removed from the Association. In the opinion of everyone, we settled on this punishment." He then added, "Miyagino has left a significant mark on the association. I hope that he will not be defeated by it and will do his best in the future.

Translated with DeepL.com
Seems Hakuho got lucky that the committee compromised on his temporary demotion and loss of stable control for March.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not like this, GOAT boy.. Not like this :(

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Chris Sumo video dropped about a half hour ago with more details and some really important, albeit scary, context. I know there's a pervasive culture of bullying that they're trying to get rid of and that considered I do think it was the right move to force him to retire. The level of bullying he was getting away with was beyond the pale, and even though it's easy to say that it wouldn't have been as bad were it not for Miyagino's negligence, I'm not so sure how much his presence would put a damper on the root issue. Like others have said, he's a whole rear end man and the best thing for him and his life is to face some adult consequences. I do feel bad for him in the sense that he's probably never learned this lesson hard enough and early enough to curb it sooner but I do not feel worse for him than I do the guys he victimized. I can't fathom being one of those victims and watch him walk back in the door after getting a finger wag and suspension. His giant Baby Huey rear end can learn to be a functional adult somewhere else where it isn't a literal privilege to work.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

More from Kyodo via The Japan Times (depaywalled): https://archive.ph/7Wf9W

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
One of the interesting bits in Chris' vid is that apparently Hokuseiho had been the most senior person living at the stable for many months, which I can only imagine made things more problematic.

I think Hokuseiho is young enough that he could easily pivot elsewhere and be successful. He could probably join that international sumo league or whatever and run the show. I guess some other recent retirees have taken up mma, and while Hokuseiho had the build for something like that, he'd be even more hampered by his lack of technique there.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

22 is old enough to know better AND it still seems like he lacked some important guidance during these still-formative years of his life.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
There’s a lot to say on the matter, but I’ll just say this: I won’t miss watching his sumo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress 'em

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This may be very telling on my childhood but I get the smack from a broom handle but the gluing of the wrestlers hand, that's got to be criminal surely.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Disappointed in Hak, and I can see the logic for the punishment - he's the GOAT and someone who was purportedly pushing the sport forward with his training but he turned a blind eye to his top rated guy being a bully? Sucks.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2024

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

22 is p drat young and i've certainly grown and changed considerably as a person since then. we're not talking about a guy who snapped in anger and/or drunkeness and did something dumb once tho but a consistent pattern of abuse towards people who have to live with him and essentially be his domestic servants.

i'm ok with saying he cant participate in the sport anymore given the nature of the heya environment and see it as different from a lifetime ban of a player in a normal team sport.

it is a drat shame for all involved hakuho couldn't/didn't rein him in before it got to this point if everything alleged is true

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 23, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I hope tochinoshin has a happy, fulfilling retirement and that his injuries heal up well

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022
inshallah we don't have any sort of this manner of problems with Hakuoho and he can fulfill his potential

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

loving hak, you dipshit

good riddance hok

gross poo poo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You ever want to do a little light exercise the Tobizaru way?

(click for Amazon Japan page)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The banzuke is up!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Happy Haru Banzuke Day:
https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/
(lower divisions may not be updated as of this post)