Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

something about the whole process bothered me so I checked and you can just buy ABS sheets and save most of the tedious filling and smoothing work, not to say the pen wouldn't add options but working smarter is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

By popular demand posted:

something about the whole process bothered me so I checked and you can just buy ABS sheets and save most of the tedious filling and smoothing work, not to say the pen wouldn't add options but working smarter is always a good thing.

Yeah I think it's a neat tool but I mostly use mine to fix 3d prints that need to be kind of welded together.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, the whole time I was watching that video I was wondering if it would just be easier to sculpt the main body and save the pen for the more fiddly bits.

mystes
May 31, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, the whole time I was watching that video I was wondering if it would just be easier to sculpt the main body and save the pen for the more fiddly bits.
considering how fiddly those pens look it would probably be easier to just do the sculpting in a 3d modeling program and 3d print the result

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

If you really want to sculpt something use clay instead.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Can I interest anyone in a little

I really thought this was a translation error, but…

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I really thought this was a translation error, but…

?
those have existed for atleast 30 years
https://www.amazon.ca/fabric-shaver/s?k=fabric+shaver

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And non-electric ones for even longer. (Also available on Ali!)

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Copped a sort of flatscreen wall hangable digital clock from Temu. Thing in pictures was so big as to beat the band like a good size to hang on a while and inspire productivity. Arrieves so small as to be about the size of a smartphone, only plugs in via USB, and if you use 3 AAA batteries instead of plugging it via USB (???) the screen shuts off after 15 seconds but it still keeps the time so you can press a button again to see the time lol. Mad?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

Tiny IRL and basically doesn't work. Mad?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Owned

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Tiny IRL and basically doesn't work. Mad?

drat that sucks. I would love to purchase an actual one of these.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The latest version of the Ali app has hidden my order history extremely well. Does anyone know where it went? All I can see are my wishlist and browsing history.

As for clocks, I'd saved this big wall clock to my wishlist ages ago, after seeing it in this thread: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msjWHxs

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have a clock based on the same technology as well. It was a gift though, so I had to find a place near a power socket to hang it, which isn't where I needed it. My guess is the the backlight would suck the batteries dry in no time.

It has a setting that will turn off the backlight at night, which is kinda stupid considering the light only stays on when it's plugged in in the first place, and also that only works sometimes for unclear reasons.

Hirayuki posted:

As for clocks, I'd saved this big wall clock to my wishlist ages ago, after seeing it in this thread: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msjWHxs
Yeah, this has a picture with a label that says "energy saving". That means it's so power hungry they had to mitigate it. I wouldn't count on this staying illuminated 24/7 on batteries. I'm staying away from this whole backlit, color filtered inverted lcd thing.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My second favorite clock ever contains this movement: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/WiFi-Clock-Movement-Sweeping-Second-Hand_1600984891547.html, it keeps perfect time down to the second and adjusts to DST automatically.

I've found a cheaper one that looks to be the same at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005214928486.html - will report back if it works the same way.

It lasts about a year on one set of rechargeable AAs since it only connects to wifi to talk to your NTP server for a couple seconds once per day. The second hand has a really smooth sweep and it's pretty quiet. I don't think I'd want it in a bedroom though.

My favorite clock however is this https://mitxela.com/shop/clock, if only Aliexpress had something similar :sigh:
There's lots of "radio controlled" clocks listed but I've never had any luck with those, the time radio signal is too weak and unreliable where I live.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I have nothing but admiration for people who go through the bother of keeping all their house clocks adjusted but it is not who I am *blinking 12:00*

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

And non-electric ones for even longer. (Also available on Ali!)

I guess I have never lived somewhere cold enough long enough to acquire clothing which needs to be sheared or undergo lawn maintenance. Also likely not fashionable enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can assure you, the item description does not help understand it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

that and modern synthetic fabrics don't tend to pill (term for the little matted fuzzies you get from some fibers as a result of wear and friction) the way wool does so a lot of people just don't experience it anymore. though my partner has a few polyester pullovers that are pilling like crazy on the sleeves, so that's not always a guarantee.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A lot of fleece type stuff does unfortunately pill

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So do my lovely Ali tees, mostly under the arms in response to friction.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

anyone need some baby parts?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I just received a set of rechargable AA and AAA batteries. I measured, and they are, indeed, 1.5 V. Of course, I haven't measured capacity, so I don't know if those claims (4800 mAh for AA, 3800 mAh for AAA) are accurate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Copped a sort of flatscreen wall hangable digital clock from Temu. Thing in pictures was so big as to beat the band like a good size to hang on a while and inspire productivity. Arrieves so small as to be about the size of a smartphone, only plugs in via USB, and if you use 3 AAA batteries instead of plugging it via USB (???) the screen shuts off after 15 seconds but it still keeps the time so you can press a button again to see the time lol. Mad?

I got this one, sounds to be about the same model:
https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg_fs=1&goods_id=601099519931144

The batteries are just to keep the time in a power outage, it does need to be plugged in by USB. I've been pretty happy with it since it's the full 9" the listing says and it's pretty bright. The internal humidity meter is wrong and I don't love the default thing it does of flashing the date every 15 seconds but I think you can change it.

I'm also comparing it to the dementia style clocks I got for my parents a few years back on amazon. They're a bit more useful for time and date but they also cost a lot more. This one isn't for sale any more but I paid $45 for it and the temu one was $10:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015M3DYNO/

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Another order that didn't arrive and the refund was denied by AliExpress. I'm going through the manual appeal process now, but I absolutely won't use Cainaio Super Economy in future. Refunds for untracked goods are getting much harder.

I've got three items left in Cainaio transit and I'm really not looking forward to getting all of those refunded.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I just received a set of rechargable AA and AAA batteries. I measured, and they are, indeed, 1.5 V. Of course, I haven't measured capacity, so I don't know if those claims (4800 mAh for AA, 3800 mAh for AAA) are accurate.

That's like a smartphone lol

They might be 5% of that capacity

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That’s a cool clock

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Get your NiMH batteries from IKEA hey, those are amazing quality at a good price.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Move the "big guy" with ease

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Got you. tell your mom I'll be along to move the "big guy" later

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Lol what the hell are these?

If they are lithium rechargeable, you're looking at a few hundred mAh at most in that size. Plus some conversion inefficiency.

If they actually read 1.5V stable, then they aren't going to be NiMH.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
They could be non-rechargable alkaline batteries which a seller is encouraging people to recharge? You can kinda do that a couple of times, it doesn't work well and is a very bad idea though.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And any sort of smart charger will probably refuse to recharge them unless it has a manual mode

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

yoloer420 posted:

They could be non-rechargable alkaline batteries which a seller is encouraging people to recharge? You can kinda do that a couple of times, it doesn't work well and is a very bad idea though.

I remember my dad built an alkaline charger using a circuit from an electronics magazine in the '90s, specifically intended for it. It worked great on some batteries - Tesco own-brand batteries could withstand many, many cycles, possibly into the 50s at least, most "big" brands could do at least 10-20. Duracells exploded immediately, to the point that I assume they were intentionally booby trapped.

Those batteries could contain some kind of joule thief circuit, which would deliver nice 1.5V regardless of charge state, of course.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

People in Cuba also did this sort of stuff after the economic collapse, which is the only time where you arguably should take these risks.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Charles Ford posted:

I remember my dad built an alkaline charger using a circuit from an electronics magazine in the '90s, specifically intended for it. It worked great on some batteries - Tesco own-brand batteries could withstand many, many cycles, possibly into the 50s at least, most "big" brands could do at least 10-20. Duracells exploded immediately, to the point that I assume they were intentionally booby trapped.

Based on the review photos, they are probably just alkaline. 1.6V charged, and a tendency to leak when charging. Also, only about 500mAh. Lithium tends to fail in more fun ways, and NiMH has always just stopped taking a charge for me.

I'm wondering if it's supposed to be some kind of charge tolerant Alkaline chemistry cause that capacity is 1/6 of normal AAs? I mean, it's AliExpress, so re-purposed QC fail batteries make the most sense, honestly.

If you recharge those, probably do it outside...

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Something weird is definitely changing at AliExpress right now. I've just had another refund denied for a non-delivered item. I'll go down the manual appeals route again. I do wonder if it'll go the same way as last time.

I'm wondering if they've handed the process off to some broken AI.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

AliExpress: Sorry, we are all out of fucks

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve been researching ereaders for a while to replace my Kindle Keyboard (2010 release). I finally pulled the trigger on the Moaan InkPalm 5 2nd generation (Moaan is like a sub-brand of Xiaomi). I figured I read so much on my phone already I should be able to pocket this and take it with me everywhere. It’s sort of like an android phone with an eink screen, without phone calls and speakers - does work with headphones though.

There are other phone sized readers but the prices are kind of silly; like there’s a Hisense android phone with eink screen or the Boox Palma that’s not a phone but has a camera and speaker, $4-600 once you convert to aussie dollars-doos. The trade off is this one is a little less friendly but there’s a decent amount of English language users that have been there, done that, and posted on the internet about it for me to be comfortable buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DRINK ME posted:

I’ve been researching ereaders for a while to replace my Kindle Keyboard (2010 release). I finally pulled the trigger on the Moaan InkPalm 5 2nd generation (Moaan is like a sub-brand of Xiaomi). I figured I read so much on my phone already I should be able to pocket this and take it with me everywhere. It’s sort of like an android phone with an eink screen, without phone calls and speakers - does work with headphones though.

There are other phone sized readers but the prices are kind of silly; like there’s a Hisense android phone with eink screen or the Boox Palma that’s not a phone but has a camera and speaker, $4-600 once you convert to aussie dollars-doos. The trade off is this one is a little less friendly but there’s a decent amount of English language users that have been there, done that, and posted on the internet about it for me to be comfortable buying it.

That looks very cool, post an update after using! Tempting. I’m on my original keyboard kindle with the cell data(!) but still going strong