Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My Dualsense Edge will arrive tomorrow, first time I get a pro controller :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:siren: some notable releases for week 9 ( 02.26 - 03.03 ) + surprise week 8 late addition Pentiment

Pentiment (PS5/PS4/Switch release, 02/22/2024)

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Remake (PS5/X|S/PC, 02/28/2024)

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/PC/Switch, 02/28/2024)

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5, 02/29/2024)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:siren: some notable releases for week 9 ( 02.26 - 03.03 ) + surprise week 8 late addition Pentiment

Companion post!

27th February

Age of Wonders 4: Primal Fury (PS5)
Beat the Beats VR (PSVR2)
Bio Inc: Redemption (PS5, PS4)

28th February

Arcade Archives Face Off (PS4)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Remake (PS5)
Pecaminosa: A Deadly Hand (PS5, PS4)
Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster (PS5, PS4)
Tokyo Revengers: Last Mission (PS5, PS4)

29th February

Anglerfish (PS5, PS4)
Bar Stella Abyss (PS5, PS4)
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth (PS5)
Welcome to Paradize (PSVR2)
1st March

Mediterranea Inferno (PS5)
Ufouria: The Saga 2 (PS5)

Unironically excited for ufouria 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Companion post!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I bought that Remake/Rebirth dual pack because I never played the Intergrade stuff when it came out and I wanted to bang it out before getting into Rebirth, but of course if you buy the dual pack you can't actually get access to the old game until the release date of the new one because it's just one big preorder system. The convoluted nature of buying and owning Final Fantasy 7 Remake between PS4 and 5 is impressively stupid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGodvshZ9s

Anyone else getting that Dark Forces remaster? It was the first FPS I ever played when I was young and it'll be awesome to revisit it. John from DF says the gamepad controls are excellent, which I was really hoping for.

I'll play it after FF7 Rebirth, though. That game's gonna consume a lot of my time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I completely forgot about the Dark Forces remaster and I don’t even have Pacific Drive yet

Too many games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Unironically excited for ufouria 2

Same, love that weird penguin (?) guy (??)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The flexibility it gives you is enormous, especially if you're someone who's had to maneuver around chronic pain. After 15 months of daily use (...) it's made every single game I played in 2023 a better experience.

I'm interested in learning more. How did it help you specifically? Are you mostly using the back buttons only? Do you change their functionality frequently?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoah, I take it back! Today they're letting me download Remake. That's tonight sorted, then!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fix posted:

Whoah, I take it back! Today they're letting me download Remake. That's tonight sorted, then!

Nice, that would have been so frustrating, hahaha.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I'm interested in learning more. How did it help you specifically? Are you mostly using the back buttons only? Do you change their functionality frequently?

I use the back buttons for a lot of things, usually if there's some awkward control scheme that just overcrowded with functionality, it's nice to be able to just move things around on a per game basis, which the swappable presets allow. Presets can be set up and saved and switched to on the fly, and you can have say, customized stick deadzones, acceleration curves, trigger sensitivity, button layouts, while also setting up features like the controller speaker or touchpad or R3/L3 or share button or whathaveyou enabled or disabled all per preset, it lets you get pretty creative. These presets are managed with a pair of function buttons near the analog sticks which, when combined with the face buttons or dpad buttons, control things like loaded presets, mic volume and game/chat volume mix on certain compatible headsets (which means I never touch my headset buttons anymore to adjust volumes or mute, I just do it on the fly with the controller.)

In addition to the analog stick modules being easily replaceable, the actual sticks themselves are hot swappable, so for example you can design it with a small amount of asymmetry if you want. I use a concave stick on the left for movement, and convex dome stick on the right for camera. The paddles can be arranged this way, too, so if you find that the easily clicked 'lever' style works for your right hand (usually the hand that sees more strain) then you can add that, while using the 'half moon' style on the left side for some function that you want easy access to but don't want to click accidentally. The triggers have manual stops on them that can be adjusted on the fly per trigger. I often use this when I'm just trying out adaptable trigger functions in game for immersion's sake (but that stuff makes my wrists hurt even though I think it's cool) before setting the triggers at a medium or hard stop, like a DualShock 2 R2/L2 button. This is also asymmetric, so if you want L2 to be a button and R2 to be a trigger, or you just want to set them to the medium setting where they function as 65% triggers but automatically turn off the adaptive capability, it can be done without ever going into a menu.

Finally, the Edge has a lockable, reinforced, heavy duty braided cord that I pretty much just keep plugged into the wall behind me all the time.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, love that weird penguin (?) guy (??)

I'm all about SHADES the sunglasses wearing ghost.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I used the back pads on my DuelSense a lot the first couple months but kind of stopped after a while. Once I got the steam deck, I think it spoiled me with both its ease and depth of controller configuration. So now I don’t really want to gently caress with the DuelSense customization for the comparatively marginal improvement it would give.

The ergonomics of its paddles is nice and it does feel a lot more sturdy than the standard model. All the buttons feel very nice and if you struggle with stuff like holding in the L3/R3 buttons then those could be a lot more useful for you. They’re definitely charging more than it’s worth, but if that price isn’t a big issue then it is a very premium feeling controller.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If it cost like half what it does I could be tempted if I was in the market for replacement controllers but lol @ paying more than 3x what a regular controller costs for one

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Pacific drive was only like 23 bux on steam so I got it there and yeah, so much better with keyboard and mouse. The awful mudrunner-esque driving fits perfectly with wasd controls.

They really didn’t have time or money to make this console friendly.

Note I like mudrunner but that level of difficulty on a little sedan on paved roads makes no sense.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Clicking in the sticks causes stick drift to occur faster. Back buttons for L3 and R3 are worth it just to avoid that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That is some “one weird trick” bullshit if I ever heard it

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Not bullshit at all, it warps the sensor of the potentiometer. Lots of nerdy words have been written about it, like these:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WJStOWfNl2lmvNrLw20a0cnogH5yXGY37RPJkHJ-kzQ/edit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

Not bullshit at all, it warps the sensor of the potentiometer. Lots of nerdy words have been written about it, like these:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WJStOWfNl2lmvNrLw20a0cnogH5yXGY37RPJkHJ-kzQ/edit

Well you need to quote the part where it says that because this dude is saying it’s dirt oil and dust.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some nerd writing a trillion words and coming to the conclusion that they ‘suspect’ it’s being caused by clicking the sticks isn’t exactly a smoking gun.

I’ve been clicking the gently caress out of PS analogue sticks for 20+ years and had no drift.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Who the gently caress is Hasta lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Hasta la vesta stick drift

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

History Comes Inside! posted:

Turn off HDMI CEC and see if it keeps doing it

Your tv might call it something else depending on the brand because everyone wants to be special, which is one of the many reasons it loving sucks

stev posted:

I think it's called both CEC and SIMPLINK on the C3. It causes all sorts of problems and seems to confused every external device so get it off.

This worked but it turns back on when I use my soundbar. Seems very annoying

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

MarcusSA posted:

Well you need to quote the part where it says that because this dude is saying it’s dirt oil and dust.

Okay:

some nerd posted:

Why Does the Use of L3 and R3 Cause Stick Drift?

My suspicion is that when the thumbstick button is pressed there is slight movement of the metal sensor portion of the pots: especially in the pot that is opposite the actual stick button. This is the pot that I have seen behave the worst more often. The plastic arm that rotates the pot sensor is pushed down so that a button is pressed opposite the pot. While the button is pressed the part of that same plastic arm that slots into the pot sensor moves up and down slightly. I saw this when I had my controller apart. The metallic strips that run along the carbon pads might move up and down too, perpendicular to their normal side to side circular motion. In order to reduce wear of the carbon as they move back and forth the metal strips have a small rounded bump so that a nice smooth curve rides over the carbon (and potential debris). But the top and bottom edges of that curved metal looked very angular and sharp to me when I had it out of my black controller’s pot. They are not designed to move across the carbon in that direction. This is especially true once a slight wear path has been created in the carbon after using the sticks directionally.

And so on.

Some nerd writing a trillion words and coming to the conclusion that they ‘suspect’ it’s being caused by clicking the sticks isn’t exactly a smoking gun.

I’ve been clicking the gently caress out of PS analogue sticks for 20+ years and had no drift.

Ah, the ol' "it's never happened to me so it's not actually a problem." I've never had a Switch controller stick drift, obviously all those people are lying, right?

Dewgy posted:

I dunno. Some nerd who took apart their controllers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bows1 posted:

This worked but it turns back on when I use my soundbar. Seems very annoying

Yeah it’s the thing that lets devices connected over HDMI turn each other off and on. Maybe see if your soundbar has a menu where you can also turn it off.

It’s ok if you have exactly one thing hooked up over HDMI and it’s sometimes ok if you have several things that are all from the same brand hooked up over HDMI but more often than not it’s an absolute shitshow once you go past one device and/or manufacturer.

Edit: my guess would be if you’re only seeing it when using headphones that the soundbar is going into standby and taking the TV with it after being sat idle for a while.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 26, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

Ah, the ol' "it's never happened to me so it's not actually a problem." I've never had a Switch controller stick drift, obviously all those people are lying, right?

‘My suspicion’ isn’t the ironclad slam dunk you think it is either

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it cost like half what it does I could be tempted if I was in the market for replacement controllers but lol @ paying more than 3x what a regular controller costs for one

That's been my thinking too, though I am currently thinking about getting a 3rd because of button and stick drift issues so if I buy an Edge will I stave off needing to buy a fourth and fifth...?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
People really need to stick to 'bottom line up front' when spewing hundreds of words onto a page about their particular grievance, I ain't reading all that, don't have time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of whether or not it causes stick drift, L3 and R3 are the most suckass buttons on a controller hands down. I don't mind when they are mapped to a HUD ping or something low key, but I hate that most games default to run/melee which are way too frequently used to be mapped to the same thing that controls the direction I'm going or looking.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Lobok posted:

That's been my thinking too, though I am currently thinking about getting a 3rd because of button and stick drift issues so if I buy an Edge will I stave off needing to buy a fourth and fifth...?

Theoretically yeah since you can buy the stick replacements for the Edge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the edge is a loving ripoff but it's also totally worth it. I know that doesn't really make any sense but it's true.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of whether or not it causes stick drift, L3 and R3 are the most suckass buttons on a controller hands down.

Pretty much this. Even if they don't damage anything, pressing in the sticks just sucks.

Anyway I just realized I can play Returnal now. Hell yeah.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I think the edge is a loving ripoff but it's also totally worth it. I know that doesn't really make any sense but it's true.

Yeah, basically. They price they put on it is absurd and impossible to justify... but it does feel very nice and you won't find another one that feels as nice for less.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I wish they would have come out with a back button attachment like they did at the end of the PS4's life.

(I did one of the ones you can install yourself, it was a bit of a pain but it works alright)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got real bad stick drift on my last controller and pretty much never click the sticks in - I never play fps's (e: cyberpunk is the only one I've played on my ps5) and if any game has a toggle on a stick click and it can be remapped, I'll remap it. It's definitely not the only way it happens. An average COD player in a single nights playing might click their stick as much as I did in the 18 months that controller lasted.

It's just a hardware defect in manufacturing. One that annoyingly doesn't present itself until a decent amount into use.
Maybe pushing the sticks in causes people with the manufacturing tolerance issue to have it sooner, but it's not the cause.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 26, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I've not gotten stick drift on a dualsense yet, but my launch one's D-Pad ended up getting something similar to drift.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
All my original dual sense controllers in white were poo poo. Either the triggers blew out or the sticks drifted. I exchanged four controllers.

Fourth exchange was when the colour controllers just came out. Demanded exchange for one of those hoping for new batch magic and I've had no issues since with my two black dual senses.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I've not gotten stick drift on a dualsense yet, but my launch one's D-Pad ended up getting something similar to drift.

The DuelSense that came with my PS5 had a hosed up d-pad. hitting right would sometimes activate the up button for some reason? Sucked in games like Sekiro and Nioh where that can get you killed. The internet forums I asked on said that was impossible, so I kind of thought maybe I just hit the buttons weird (even though I never had the issue on DS4s). But I confirmed it was a controller defect when I replaced it due to stick drift and never had the issue again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pacific Drive is fun, basically spent half the weekend playing it. I think I'm at the final mission of the second zone, and I'm reaching the point where I want to consider armoring up my car in different ways depending on the hazards that are going to be where I'm going.

My biggest complaint is that you can't close the garage door. I want to chill, customizing my car and picking upgrades, and that's impossible to do when there's a giant storm raging through the auto shop :colbert:

Could do with some cosmetic upgrades for the garage. A nice chair to sit in, more lights, etc.