Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I assume most people who buy Jump for One Piece also like at least one other series/forget that it's break week when they buy a new issue. The more telling question is what happens to sales deep into one of Oda's extended breaks. As long as One Piece hasn't ended, Jump sales are probably hanging on like the anime.

Jump probably cares way more about Tankobon sales than the weekly magazine anyway. So they're probably good for at least another decade or so after the final issue hits the internet.

sales also went up a lot when marineford really ramped up, like people bought tons of old volumes to catch up and stuff. i have to imagine the end of one piece is going to result in a massive increase in sales for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Are the other three gonna follow suit?

Why do you think Big Mom (QE2) faked her death?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I really do wonder what Jump is gonna look like once OP is done. They were very smart about jumping onto digital the way they did - between that and the sheer variety they offer, I don't think they're in danger of going under anytime soon but OP has been one of their mainstays for so long that its hard to imagine what it would be like without it.

That's when Oda starts work on his robot manga :awesomelon:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I hope his next manga is a down to earth slice of life easygoing story about a doctor moving to a small town or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

There's a 0% chance that Jump is going to let those magazine sales slip by

sure, that may be factually accurate. but have you considered that a man's dreams never die?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does Japan have a manga publishing model that's just straight Tankobans with no magazines releases, like when a comic book is published as a graphic novel instead of a monthly release? Because that seems like what Oda could use to not have a manic weekly schedule.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not really, no.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Black Clover at least moved to a quarterly release schedule partially for the reason that the author wanted to take the necessary time on the conclusion.

And honestly I am sure if Oda was like "I would like to create a completed comic that I publish all at once on my own schedule" he would be able to find a publisher (or he is probably wealthy enough to self-publish and famous enough to still get a massive audience for it)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I feel like Oda enjoys doing SBS and getting people involved in the story.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, Oda strikes me as someone who genuinely loves his job, it's just that nobody can keep to that schedule forever. Even the God of Manga eventually dropped dead at his writing desk.

Take it from Shigeru Mizuki, author of Gegege no Kitaro:

(He went on to live to the age of 93)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Begemot posted:

Yeah, Oda strikes me as someone who genuinely loves his job, it's just that nobody can keep to that schedule forever. Even the God of Manga eventually dropped dead at his writing desk.

:hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Begemot posted:

gently caress, this guy rules :lol:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Lately I’ve wondered how someone like Tolkien would react to One Piece. I wonder what he’d say to using laughs as a way to differentiate characters quickly. Or, what he’d say to the Christian stuff mixed with all the other use of religious iconography and symbolism.

Ole JRRRRRRRR spent most of the last part of his life trying to get his publisher to let him rewrite The Hobbit and then got himself depressed with the sequel trilogy with the cult of Sauron and the Blue Wizards and gave up. And the Tolkien estate until recently violently protected the IP.

Oda just going, “sure, go tell one piece your way. Cool!” To whatever animation group really boggles my mind. Live action show as well.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PuttyKnife posted:

Oda just going, “sure, go tell one piece your way. Cool!” To whatever animation group really boggles my mind. Live action show as well.
Oda had the Live Action on a pretty tight leash, to the point where they were sent back to Cape Town to reshoot a bunch of scenes he didn’t like (one example that comes to mind is that they had to redo the whole Zoro/Kuina flashback because it used kendo equipment and techniques). There was also a battle raging over the fact the writers chose to use Garp and Coby as recurring characters in each episode rather than containing them to a side arc iirc

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 26, 2024

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PuttyKnife posted:

Lately I’ve wondered how someone like Tolkien would react to One Piece. I wonder what he’d say to using laughs as a way to differentiate characters quickly. Or, what he’d say to the Christian stuff mixed with all the other use of religious iconography and symbolism.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

loving religion dorks

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Good to know that lunatics are still going on about their white man's burden. It's rough out there bringing civilization to the savages. Especially when you keep insisting that your religion, that clearly assimilated pagan religious influences and civilizations, is actually the foundation of all civilization. Jesus' rippling abs are the true river valley cradles of all civilization.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's kinda funny that Kuma's Bible got explained when that used to be one of the old haha One Piece is nonsense things.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

He would probably ask why everyone is speaking the same language, and walk off just shaking his head after Oda sidetracks the question into a bewbs/buttes joke.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are the poneglyphs even written in an actually invented language? Cause they look like some scrub rear end gibberish masquerading as a real language. smh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re just nonsense gibberish in universe too. Robin just stares at the poneglyph, counts to 500, and then makes stuff up and no one else is smart enough to check her work

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol "your personal anime world and beloved anime characters will manifest in your own paradise room in heaven" should have been the entirety of that post instead of just the last line

copy
Jul 26, 2007

or it should have been nothing. either is good

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

hatty posted:

They’re just nonsense gibberish in universe too. Robin just stares at the poneglyph, counts to 500, and then makes stuff up and no one else is smart enough to check her work

"Vegapunk has been studying the Void Century and probably knows how to read the poneglyphs, huh? I better act like I'm asleep, or I'm FINISHED!!"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Begemot posted:

I mean one of these guys died of stomach cancer. Not sure lack of sleep gives you that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

copy posted:

lol "your personal anime world and beloved anime characters will manifest in your own paradise room in heaven" should have been the entirety of that post instead of just the last line
I'm dead today, and that means only one thing... BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every personal anime world and beloved anime character manifests in my own paradise room in heaven for a HUGE party*

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

copy posted:

Isn't that LDS? You get your own planet or something?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dying and the first thing you see is Mineta from MHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuEBNan_eI

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Bisse posted:

He would probably ask why everyone is speaking the same language, and walk off just shaking his head after Oda sidetracks the question into a bewbs/buttes joke.

Tolkien and CS Lewis as big fairy tale stans so both saw Snow White. Their big takeaway was that the dwarves should have been ugly as gently caress. Tolkien would have responded well IMO to the motions of romance and adventure in One Piece. I think Lewis would have liked it more especially as he was the one who did sci Fi and has a book where a guy fistfights a devil possessed corpse on Venus. GK Chesterton before them would have loved it as he was prone to defending more trashy pulp literature of his time.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

*every personal anime world and beloved anime character manifests in my own paradise room in heaven for a HUGE party*

lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Frankly I always imagined this is what heaven is anyway, just that (some of the) anime babes might be replaced with loved ones or people you admire.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They got TCB Scans…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They got TCB Scans…

Unless I'm missing something no they didn't

https://tcb.abhayaby.com/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2024

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh hmm…well their twitter account is banned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh hmm…well their twitter account is banned.

Yeah I just saw that, but as mentioned the main site’s still up so I’m not completely sure what this means

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently they just decided they don't want to do Twitter anymore.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

If their account was suspended it would explicitly state that it was suspended, not that it doesn't exist. They just deactivated it, for now at least.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Their tweets were already kinda cagey about sending out links directly. Tweeting that the chapter is out, but the link is in bio not in the tweet. Probably just decided it was risking too much exposure or something idk

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Their alt account is still up so I'm guessing if "something happened" it'd be posted about there

https://twitter.com/TheComicBrigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
No social media we hit F5 on Wednesday afternoon like the good old days