Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Owww we want the Dunc.

Gotta have that Dunc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kalel posted:

I followed that link to another variety article that just released today: Denis Villeneuve: ‘Movies Have Been Corrupted by Television’ and a ‘Danger in Hollywood’ Is Thinking About ‘Release Dates, Not Quality’

he's right of course but I hope he doesn't poke the bear too much. that's basically a direct calling out of david zaslav

I know writers who use dialogue and they're all cowards

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"I hate dialogue" is the most Quebecois take.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"I hate dialogue" is the most Quebecois take.

In the sense that ~prestige~ Québec movies are incredibly dialogue-forward and he's developed that opinion as reaction to the Québécois mainstream?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pinterest Mom posted:

In the sense that ~prestige~ Québec movies are incredibly dialogue-forward and he's developed that opinion as reaction to the Québécois mainstream?

Sure, let's go with that!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Quebecois is an incredibly powerful dialect and should be used as rarely as possible.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I dunno I watched noted french film beau travail recently and I feel like that film could have used more talking

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

YaketySass posted:

Quebecois is an incredibly powerful dialect and should be used as rarely as possible.

Crisse de câlice de tabarnak d'esti de sacrament de trou viarge!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

March 1st is just North America, I think? Opening tomorrow here.

Italy is 28 February.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kalel posted:

I dunno I watched noted french film beau travail recently and I feel like that film could have used more talking

I also watched it last week. Definitely would’ve improved with a sandwyrm or two.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jewmanji posted:

I also watched it last week. Definitely would’ve improved with a sandwyrm or two.

wheel of fortune before and after: claire denis villeneuve

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I dunno I don't think I'd have remembered Blade Runner's climax so much if instead of the "tears in rain" monologue, Roy Batty just looked at Deckard, smiled, and died.

quote:

They certainly made part 2 with the expectation that Messiah was going to happen.

I mean, imagine how part 1 would have gone down in retrospect if part 2 didn't happen. I feel like it's unlikely this is gonna bomb but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 26, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nail Rat posted:

I dunno I don't think I'd have remembered Blade Runner's climax so much if instead of the "tears in rain" monologue, Roy Batty just looked at Deckard, smiled, and died.

If it had been the two of them having a conversation in a well lit room you wouldn't have remembered it at all.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Saw it tonight in Stockholm, not sure what's up with the release dates, I just bought the tickets. It was great, the whole subway car was filled with people going home from the theater and all conversations were about how good it was. It's certainly not gonna bomb and they're definitely gonna do another one, just hope Villeneuve sticks with it because he's nailing it.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mata posted:

Saw it tonight in Stockholm, not sure what's up with the release dates

It's my fault, I errantly thought the US release date was global. Curse all of you.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i doubt they would've bothered casting Alia like they did if Messiah wasn't a pretty sure bet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

i doubt they would've bothered casting Alia like they did if Messiah wasn't a pretty sure bet.

Why? There's no downside to paying an actor a nice chunk of change for a day's work if that's going to get a bunch more people to the theater. I'm sure they want to do Messiah, but I don't think any casting decisions are made based off of that hope/assumption.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Why? There's no downside to paying an actor a nice chunk of change for a day's work if that's going to get a bunch more people to the theater. I'm sure they want to do Messiah, but I don't think any casting decisions are made based off of that hope/assumption.

I think what they're saying is, if the determination is to stop at book 1, there's no point in including Alia as a future vision at all. Just write her out entirely. The Baron's assassination is already being retconned. Hell, bring Thufir back Dennis, you dick.

I believe the ATJ investment means there's a plan for a Messiah movie where she is actually present physically.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Oh I see. Yeah that makes more sense. Of course by not including Alia that would make the entire pregnancy element which appears early in the first movie to be totally pointless. But I guess there's always gambles with this type of storytelling.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Oh I see. Yeah that makes more sense. Of course by not including Alia that would make the entire pregnancy element which appears early in the first movie to be totally pointless. But I guess there's always gambles with this type of storytelling.

Agreed. Paul's first son was pretty pointless in the original plot so maybe they could have both been Poochie'd out in one sentence.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rendezvous with Rama without dialogue confirmed

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Schwarzwald posted:

If it had been the two of them having a conversation in a well lit room you wouldn't have remembered it at all.

Dang, an audiovisual medium benefiting from both engaging audio and compelling visuals. Wild idea. Makes you think.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Denis 2001 remake when

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

david_a posted:

Rendezvous with Rama without dialogue confirmed

I was thinking that's dumb because the people have lots of conversations about what they're exploring and doing and then I thought about it and a movie about roughly the same thing but it's a single astronaut exploring the thing without dialogue could be amazing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A dialogue sparse STALKER style exploration of a weird ship sounds pretty rad.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So how is Wonka and Dune II as a double feature?

Or Dune 1 - Wonka - Dune 2 as a triple? :getin:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Chieves posted:

So how is Wonka and Dune II as a double feature?

Or Dune 1 - Wonka - Dune 2 as a triple? :getin:

Wonka Dune Wonka Dune Wonka. Cinema Big Mac.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oompa Loompa doopity dear
Fear kills the mind, so I shall not fear
Oompa Loompa doopity dain
When the fear is gone only I remain

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Mr. Wonka is at this moment working on a fantastic invention: the Everlasting Jihad. If he succeeds, he'll ruin me. So, all I want you to do is to get hold of just one Everlasting Jihad and bring it to me so that I can find the secret spice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
God created Oompa-Loompa-Land to test the faithful

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Mr. Wonka is at this moment working on a fantastic invention: the Everlasting Jihad. If he succeeds, he'll ruin me. So, all I want you to do is to get hold of just one Everlasting Jihad and bring it to me so that I can find the secret spice.

The Everlasting Gomjabbar

kalel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 27, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kalel posted:

he's right of course but I hope he doesn't poke the bear too much. that's basically a direct calling out of david zaslav

Well, WB doesn’t own any of the rights to the Dune IP. Those are entirely owned by Legendary. They gave WB distribution rights, but only for the individual films and not the full franchise. There was discussion about finding a different distributor for part 2 after the upset with day and date streaming for the first film.

Which is to say that Denis can afford to call out Zaslav. If he was extremely petty (and still calling shots when the third film actually kicks off) it might just mean Messiah gets a different distributor.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just traveled to Paris this past weekend and I saw Dune ads on the way to the airport and then everywhere around the city. We even drove into the countryside and saw billboards for it in small towns too.

I'm really hopeful that between the major publicity campaign and excellent word of mouth we can get enough momentum behind the movie to guarantee a Dune: Messiah.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Every screening this weekend in my area is packed, I think it'll do just fine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That interview made it sound like the studio wants him to do it, he just doesn't want to rush into it and he wants to do it on his own terms.

Which would make sense if he's planning to shoot all the ATJ and Momoa scenes now and then the rest of the movie in 15 years when the rest of the cast's old enough.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t think he’s going to wait 15 years. It sounds like he wants to make one or two other movies first. I doubt the studio would even allow it- they’re going to want to capitalize on the momentum within a somewhat reasonable timeframe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think he's waiting that long. IIRC he's said he wants to get it done by the end of this decade at least.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah Charlotte Rampling is 78 so they probably shouldn’t wait until she’s 90 to make it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the idea of waiting a decade to do a sequel so your cast can age up is always a bit silly and usually just means you're not going to do it (see: that Kill Bill sequel Tarantino used to talk about). Plus in the Duniverse you really don't need to do it because everyone has super long life expectancies plus spice suppresses aging, you can say Timothee is 100 if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"What's in the box?"
"Chocolate."