Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Namtab posted:

I like dangan ronpa but if you joined this site for it then I’m going to suplex you

yay i'm safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

i can give you the pug back

in doing so you would just prove my point, and i would become the blue star again according to prophesy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

in doing so you would just prove my point, and i would become the blue star again according to prophesy

oh sweetening the pot are we

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just happy when a translation is mostly accurate nowadays. Punching up doesn't bug me too much--yeah there are some projects that get a little too wacky, but it's worth it if we get more Austin Powers-esque games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

trying to walk up to the adults table on thanksgiving where were all getting turnt on cicero like no its okay buddy the kids table has chicken nuggets and coloring books and your 14 year old cousin who spends too much time on the computer is there to tell you how "cucked" mario is these days. dont worry about what the grownups are doing lol
'grandpa the unicorn overlord translation is bad because the girl says she's 'rattled' instead of 'scared' is this woke liberals trying to destroy the differences between the genders??????'
*grandpa snores in his rocking chair*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

oh sweetening the pot are we

i would like to back down from this now

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Namtab posted:

dont tempt me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

symbolic posted:

you congratulated me for being "adtrw's top cop"

lmfao

he's right

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

so, about them anims. who loves an anime

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Every top cop needs a partner

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Arist posted:

Now I'm thinking about that chapter of Cipher Academy that was like a sadistic practical joke being played on the translator

i like the chapter of medaka box where it's 7 consecutive pages of a single action panel shots of a character with 100 chuuni ability names as a background

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Erg posted:

i like the chapter of medaka box where it's 7 consecutive pages of a single action panel shots of a character with 100 chuuni ability names as a background

its way more than 100 bro, shes got like 3 trillion abilities

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Another favorite clueless culture war tourist moment I remember is when people accused the translators for Somnium files of "forcing in Woke ideology" and citing the LGBT line...even though the JP line says out the acronym in plain detail that even if you didn't know a lick of Japanese you'd pick it up lol.

somnium files ftw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

Every top cop needs a partner

aaa..etto...blehhh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I should finish Medaka Box.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Erg posted:

somnium files ftw

I really really liked it except for all the parts where it pretended to be more of a video game. Remove all the VR puzzle stuff and it'd be a 5/5 instead of a 4.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Erg posted:

Iirc, the translator said that wasn't nearly as hard as it looked

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

the person making those complaints doesnt even know japanese you moron, and neither do you

'we completely fell for it' is a literal translation of this line that google translate spits out

however what's actually being said here is, 釣られ. which uses the kanji, 釣. this means angling, fishing, getting hooked (by fishing bait.) the character is saying he got baited and hooked like a fish. the translation keeps this. the google tl he spits out does not.

sit down and shut the gently caress up about poo poo you dont understand.

goddrat

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
girls dont watch anime

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

How was the danganronpa anime adaptation, I think a lot of gamers ragged on it.

The endgame one that tried to explain how it all started just made me go “this is dumb” a video that mindbreaks everyone in the world?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I will never deny it. I love it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

girls dont watch anime

Yeah they watch Toku.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its way more than 100 bro, shes got like 3 trillion abilities

you're right, i should give anshin'in san her due.

*7 page spreads with 700 out of her 3 trillion chuuni abilities

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Namtab posted:

so, about them anims. who loves an anime

depends. which one

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GateOfD posted:

How was the danganronpa anime adaptation, I think a lot of gamers ragged on it.

The endgame one that tried to explain how it all started just made me go “this is dumb” a video that mindbreaks everyone in the world?

the first one is just a straight up adaptation of the game

the prequel one is actually fun but i feel that showing more junko is bad overall

hope arc is mid

e: what i mean when i say more junko is bad is that she's kinda by the nature of the premise too powerful.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 27, 2024

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the nagito jokes were pretty funny and everything else was really bad

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Way back in the day when I was translating a Touhou fighting game dialog on the wiki, someone got mad at me because I wrote Reimu telling Okuu that she would have to take responsibility for her own actions as "it'll be on your head" because "head" didn't appear anywhere in the original phrase.

Then, when I was on my first job as a translator, a coworker wrote every instance of だろう as "I wonder" even in prose because that's what the dictionary told him it meant. He was let go a few weeks later.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

let go...into a pit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i get that junko is the ultimate analyst which is why she can mask as the ultimate fashionista and becomes the ultimate despair, but the plot bends over itself to let her do what she wants and get away with anything because the games need to happen and its kinda jarring

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the only acceptable way to translate a manga or anime is to insert out of place curse words to make the series more adult and edgy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Namtab posted:

i get that junko is the ultimate analyst which is why she can mask as the ultimate fashionista and becomes the ultimate despair, but the plot bends over itself to let her do what she wants and get away with anything because the games need to happen and its kinda jarring

the dub of the prequel anime is funny because they turned junko into an obnoxious valley girl

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

the dub of the prequel anime is funny because they turned junko into an obnoxious valley girl

she does that in the game too as one of her personalities, i watched it subbed tho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i dont know a goddamn thing about danganronpa

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

verbal enema posted:

that's for the best

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
indeed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the games. I was too old to get into toxic fandoms when I was playing them so I didn't participate in that kind of thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

verbal enema posted:

its good but also maybe cringe... very conflicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

verbal enema posted:

theyre fun games because they do not take themselves seriously. they are ridiculous and they know it.