Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I did not expect Takerufuji to jetpack all the way to m17. I guess he probably landed at j1 and with Hokuseiho out, he's bumped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

I did not expect Takerufuji to jetpack all the way to m17. I guess he probably landed at j1 and with Hokuseiho out, he's bumped up.

he's still on the banzuke, way too late to take him out. the rankings are decided when they announce the juryo promotions to the public, they just withold them until two weeks in advance so the calligaphic banzuke can be readied and copies sent out to supporters.

i am wondering if him getting demoted to juryo 3 from a 2-13 revord at m8 was a sign that they knew this was inevitable tho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Thauros posted:

i am wondering if him getting demoted to juryo 3 from a 2-13 revord at m8 was a sign that they knew this was inevitable tho

probably not

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Looks like it'll be Tamagaki from Oshima beya taking over Miyagino for a basho, formerly known as Tomonohana. He has a career high rank of komusubi but he got there by being promoted on his Makuuchi debut: M16(9-6)>M10(9-6)>M2(8-7)>K, so certainly some banzuke luck there, at that rank though he got a 4-11, spent 2 years bouncing around in the middle of the division, fell to Juryo and spent 5 more years there. Is any of this relevant to his ability to stop people from bullying each other? who knows.

In other news, where can I find this bottle on the east coast?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Looks like it'll be Tamagaki from Oshima beya taking over Miyagino for a basho, formerly known as Tomonohana. He has a career high rank of komusubi but he got there by being promoted on his Makuuchi debut: M16(9-6)>M10(9-6)>M2(8-7)>K, so certainly some banzuke luck there, at that rank though he got a 4-11, spent 2 years bouncing around in the middle of the division, fell to Juryo and spent 5 more years there. Is any of this relevant to his ability to stop people from bullying each other? who knows.

Maybe he'll relate better to the lower ranked guys than the big boys that lived in a complete different universe than the non-swkitori in the dorms. Looks like he's from a pretty tiny stable with 7 wrestlers and 3 coaches so it looks like he's got the extra time.

In other sports, there's the philosophy that superstars make lovely coaches because they have trouble relating with people struggling or not getting stuff that comes naturally to them while some of the best coaches are often guys who spend their lives clawing for every bit advantage they can find just to stay relevant.

Also not sure if this has an effect, but looking at Miyaginos stable makeup, everyone is super young and there doesn't seem like anyone in the room that has the status and experience to tell a Hokuseiho to shut the gently caress up and quit being a dick before it gets to the level where coaches and the Association need to step in. Maybe Enho and Ishiura were supposed to be those guys, but who knows how much Enho's around because of his injuries and Ishiura is management now.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thauros posted:

Chris Sumo's latest video suggests they over-demoted Hokuseiho so he'd have to start from an unsalaried rank after whatever suspension was originally planned. Chris is pitching this (right or not) as part of the long fight between Hakuho and sumo elders who don't like his ego.

I think it's depressingly possible this ends with Hak leaving the sumo association, either through ejection or impatience over the elders keeping "his" stable from him.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

bartolimu posted:

I think it's depressingly possible this ends with Hak leaving the sumo association, either through ejection or impatience over the elders keeping "his" stable from him.

I hope that this isn't the case, because it would be a very lovely way for Hakuho to end his extended sumo career. This incident is already quite the tarnish to his reputation, but I'd really hope that he can recover that.

I wasn't following sumo until after Hakuho had retired from in ring competition so I'm not even a big Hakuho fanboy, but it doesn't say great things about the sport if the greatest ever to grace the dohyo (so far) goes out on a note like this.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Chris Sumo's latest video suggests they over-demoted Hokuseiho so he'd have to start from an unsalaried rank after whatever suspension was originally planned. Chris is pitching this (right or not) as part of the long fight between Hakuho and sumo elders who don't like his ego.

I don't think that's much of a stretch either. How many times was he "advised" by the sumo association to clean up his act when he was a competing yokozuna? How many times did he ignore them? It's hard to fight against a system from the outside so perhaps they're worried what he'll do once he's at the table.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Seems like Tamagaki is at least as logical a choice as possible.

Google translated https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202402260000598.html

quote:

Master Tamagaki is the oldest stable master in the Isegahama clan. After graduating from Nihon University, he worked as a health and physical education teacher at a high school in Yamaguchi Prefecture, but became a sumo wrestler at the age of 27, inspired by the success of Mai no Umi, his junior at university. Because of his unique background, he was nicknamed ``Sensei.'' According to sources, he was appointed because of his extensive experience, including having served as vice president of the Toshiyori Association, which is made up of bosses other than executives. After the announcement of the punishment, discussions continued behind the scenes, and some even decided that ``there is no one else who can do it.''

Can't imagine a 27 year old actual adult joining up and working his way up the ranks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

pseudodragon posted:

Seems like Tamagaki is at least as logical a choice as possible.

Google translated https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202402260000598.html

Can't imagine a 27 year old actual adult joining up and working his way up the ranks.

He got tsukedashi and started at Ms 60 according to wikipedia. Sounds like he was a hot hand even before joining the professional ranks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bessantj posted:

I don't think that's much of a stretch either. How many times was he "advised" by the sumo association to clean up his act when he was a competing yokozuna? How many times did he ignore them? It's hard to fight against a system from the outside so perhaps they're worried what he'll do once he's at the table.

It's not like he's been anything but upfront about his desire to see sumo as a sport start taking advantage of modern training methodologies, which coming from the best to ever enter the ring sets the guys in the association whose only real importance is tradition on edge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brut posted:

In other news, where can I find this bottle on the east coast?

https://www.saperavi.com/products/qvevri

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pa's weird about ordering alchohol but i bought a bottle of non tochinoshin adorned geogian wine from that company once from one of our state liquor stores as i was curious. pretty good!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Thauros posted:

pa's weird about ordering alchohol but i bought a bottle of non tochinoshin adorned geogian wine from that company once from one of our state liquor stores as i was curious. pretty good!

Yeah if I can just drive over the bridge to either Roger Wilco or Total Wine & More, that'd be no issue...I dunno that I feel like driving to Rhode Island for it but you know what, it's not THAT far, I think I'd wanna call ahead and check if they have any of the Tochinoshin bottles before I actually went though, cuz otherwise there's plenty of Georgian wine to be found around here (Some even in one of my cupboards probably, now that I think about it)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Coming back to the forums to gear up for sumo and getting a whole lot of what the gently caress. Extremely disappointed in Hakuho, hope he never fucks up this badly again and I hope that Hokuseiho can get his poo poo together and we never hear about him ever again.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1762293717120303386

patricia dobashi on twitter posted:

According to an article in Yahoo-Japan, Miyagino Stable will most likely be under the custody of the Isegahama Ichimon for at least 10 years, after which the stable will be disbanded with its rikishi distributed to Asahiyama (Kotonishiki) and Oshima (Kyukutenho) beya(s). This significantly alters Hakuho's goal of someday becoming JSA Chairman to that of a dishonored stablemaster desparate to regain his heya.

The article also discusses the rejection of Magaki Oyakata (Ishiura) as acting stablemaster--which was suggested as the smoothest transition.

Migaki has a long history with and may be overly involved with Hokuseiho as the latter was a student of Migaki's father--the principal of the Tottori Johoku High School Sumo Club where Hokuseiho was said to have displayed rough behavior towards his schoolmates.
Therefore, a proposal of Migaki being named the provisional stablemaster of Miyagino was rejected.

The heya is in jeopardy not only because the assaults of Hokuseiho, but to Miyagino's coverup and faking of a medical condition as grounds for his heyagashira's mid-tournament absence. He is also alleged to have interfered with the Compliance Committee's investigations by enlisting a third party to intervene.

The Miyagino Stable is facing the danger of extinction.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ok, well that seems absolutely loving insane compared to literally every punishment I've ever seen handed out personally or even read about. holy loving poo poo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Death penalty for a stable wow

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

This seems like a weird article. The stable will be part of Isegahama ichimon for at least 10 years after which it will be disbanded? Why not just do it now if you want to get rid of Miyagino? And what does "at least 10 years" mean? Is Hakuho going to be on notice until he retires 30 years from now?

Seems like a whole bunch of speculation that's not based on anything

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This seems like a weird article. The stable will be part of Isegahama ichimon for at least 10 years after which it will be disbanded? Why not just do it now if you want to get rid of Miyagino? And what does "at least 10 years" mean? Is Hakuho going to be on notice until he retires 30 years from now?

Seems like a whole bunch of speculation that's not based on anything

Yeah I don't really get it, guessing something is lost in translation.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
The sumo forum is speculating that this is a measure intended to humiliate Hakuho into resigning because they don't want to be seen to be firing him. It's clear that, in addition to his real culpability in this situation, there was also a faction that was waiting to pounce on him (c.f., the fact he had to sign a special pledge before being allowed to become a sumo elder).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the (and I cannot emphasize this enough) /gently caress/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

some kinda jackal posted:

What the (and I cannot emphasize this enough) /gently caress/

Its racism OP.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i hope he hung on to his mongolian passport. would suck to get ratfucked out of sumo and be stuck in japan

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

i hope he hung on to his mongolian passport. would suck to get ratfucked out of sumo and be stuck in japan

Nope, he's a citizen and there's no dual citizenships

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
For new watchers who might be wondering why we say racism for how these penalties are insane even though Miyagino hosed this up horribly it's because they never wanted him to become an elder at all and specifically changed poo poo trying to stop it happening in the first place. This is just them taking an open window and swinging for the fences now that they have a chance. Watch this for more info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcLkdnCz75k

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Flinger posted:

I can't speak for Hakuho specifically but this kind of thing is basically never enforced, like neither country will consider you a dual-citizen but each country will consider you their own citizen, unless you really went out of your way to do something about that.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Flinger posted:

neither japan nor mongolia recognizes dual citizenship, yes. japan just says you gotta make an effort to renounce additional citizenships, so it's possible he hasn't actually renounced mongolian citizenship. there aren't any bureaucrats, in either country, following up on that regularly, and the countries aren't sharing notes on who they consider to be citizens in general. i do think he probably renounced mongolian citizenship, tho. in which case lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I would have thought putting the entire sport of sumo on your back during the match fixing crisis that may well have killed the sport if not for the seemingly one un-corrupted figurehead of the sport would at least buy you the not most racist ruling ever passed in judgement over anyone involved in the sport.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

You know, I was going to call Chris Sumo's latest video out for minimizing Hak's bad actions ("all the other stables do it too, and all the coaches would cover for their top wrestlers in Hak's place") and using the opportunity to air grievances against sumo that aren't really connected to the Miyagino bullying scandal. But in light of that news, go ahead and do that Chris.

Brut posted:

I can't speak for Hakuho specifically but this kind of thing is basically never enforced, like neither country will consider you a dual-citizen but each country will consider you their own citizen, unless you really went out of your way to do something about that.

The Mongolian Minister of Sports attended Hak's retirement ceremony, along with several other notable Mongolian officials. That ceremony was the first time the Mongolian national anthem was performed in the kokugikan. This isn't like some average citizen who took Japanese citizenship going back to Mongolia and asking for a do-over. I have absolutely no doubt that if Hakuho wants to tell sumo to gently caress itself and return to Mongolia, he'll be greeted like the international celebrity and son of Mongolia he is.

But I really don't think he'll do that. His love of sumo is nearly all-consuming, and his ego won't let him walk away from the sport he basically carried on his own for fifteen years. The Hakuho Cup is a yearly event, and a girls' Hakuho Cup was just added this year. That's basically a corporate infrastructure on its own, with sponsors and full-time employees (not to mention the retired wrestlers who help out during events despite lacking elder stock). He can hang out as a "dishonored stablemaster desperate to regain his heya" while still making a ton of cash on promotional stuff and keeping his name (and brand) the first think people think of when they think about sumo. In ten years there'll be a different batch of shriveled old men at the top, and several more of them will be Hakuho allies. Time is probably on his side, if he can be patient enough.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I saw on one of them sumo discords that the article cribbed from a bunch of different sources, including tabloids, so I'm taking the 10 year thing with a grain of salt. Because that is honestly just absurd.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

neither japan nor mongolia recognizes dual citizenship, yes. japan just says you gotta make an effort to renounce additional citizenships, so it's possible he hasn't actually renounced mongolian citizenship. there aren't any bureaucrats, in either country, following up on that regularly, and the countries aren't sharing notes on who they consider to be citizens in general. i do think he probably renounced mongolian citizenship, tho. in which case lol

Before my country of birth (Denmark) allowed dual citizenship, they most definitely checked when I went to renew my passport. (I'm now living in Canada).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

I saw on one of them sumo discords that the article cribbed from a bunch of different sources, including tabloids, so I'm taking the 10 year thing with a grain of salt. Because that is honestly just absurd.

Indeed

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1762483023713276366

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://x.com/Hakkeyoi_Sumo/status/1762478012350525696
I believe this is just for March, but Tamagaki Oyakata has set some firm and good ground rules.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 27, 2024

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ichinojo assaulted a stable master's wife and I'm pretty sure that stable never changed hands.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

net work error posted:

Ichinojo assaulted a stable master's wife and I'm pretty sure that stable never changed hands.

Chris Sumo's latest vid goes over people that have done similar things to Miyagino but haven't had anywhere near the punishment.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
bullshit!!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

tabloid doesn't necessarily mean complete bullshit in japan (it feels like weeklies like bunshun do more legit investigative journalism than "real" newspapers), but the "death penalty" story does sound like it's a blind item of someone's wild speculation in one of the less reputable ones now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Marching Powder posted:

I would have thought putting the entire sport of sumo on your back during the match fixing crisis that may well have killed the sport if not for the seemingly one un-corrupted figurehead of the sport would at least buy you the not most racist ruling ever passed in judgement over anyone involved in the sport.

That and being the best to ever wear a white rope is nowhere near enough to overcome the sin of not being Japanese in the eyes of a lot of the JSA. Especially the ones who are deeply shamed by how much better he is at the sport than they ever could have been, and whose entire claim to significance is the traditional reverence of elders.

They will hate him to their dying day for daring to be better than the homegrown talent.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho's stature works against him right now because as the long time face of the sport and setting his methods and guys to be the future of it, loving up really badly right out the gate as stablemaster makes everything worse.