Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Qubee posted:

My birds have thankfully never shown any interest in the floor. They've landed (mistakenly) a handful of times, and each time has piqued their curiosity and they've seemed to enjoy the newly discovered world. But I usually get them to step up before they can explore too much because I can't even begin to imagine the sheer nightmare of having two hormonal female budgies running about under sofas, chairs, cabinets. They're bad enough just confined to the sky.

Serra absolutely loves pecking around on the floor, which is unfortunate. Having an older Dad who sometimes doesn't have the best memory, it prevents her from just being left out of the cage for extremely long periods of time when he is home. Hell, I'm picking on him but I wear leg braces when I leave the house and have drop-foot. So I have to be just as careful, as I have no ability to quick leap or change my stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Cockatiels are ground foragers, so it makes sense that they'd be more comfortable hanging out on the floor than most parrots.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Cockatiels are ground foragers, so it makes sense that they'd be more comfortable hanging out on the floor than most parrots.

Yeah, mine love some good floor time. I don't think I could stop them if I wanted to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
daily pre bed hoodie rituals

https://streamable.com/lcw8ya

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Qubee posted:

My birds have thankfully never shown any interest in the floor. They've landed (mistakenly) a handful of times, and each time has piqued their curiosity and they've seemed to enjoy the newly discovered world. But I usually get them to step up before they can explore too much because I can't even begin to imagine the sheer nightmare of having two hormonal female budgies running about under sofas, chairs, cabinets. They're bad enough just confined to the sky.

Ugh. My birds have started visiting the floor and becoming poultry. It all started with Coulis. He's a bold character.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Both budgies and cockatiels would be ground foraging for food and enrichment in their wild habitats so it's understandable that they'd be drawn to those behaviours in a domestic environment. Unfortunately it means we have to be super vigilant about where Tux is when he's interested in the ground. One thing that helps is having a forage box as when he's in it, it kinda keeps him in the one spot that's a bit more visible so there's less chance of him wandering underfoot.

It's basically the top of a box I've cut up with scissors so the seeds and grasses in it don't go everywhere. He's on a table here, but we also use it on the floor. It's always fun watching him peck around in there like a lil chicken and I enjoy mixing up the textures and treats in the box for him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That's an extremely 'Can you BELIEVE this guy?' expression on big birb.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's an extremely 'Can you BELIEVE this guy?' expression on big birb.

I actually got it on video by pure luck. I'll post it when I've got some spare time.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just wait until you have a cockatoo the size of a small house cat wandering around your floors. Not only do you need to not step on him, you gotta make sure he doesn't amputate your toes or eat your stove or hide a body under your floorboards.

Too cute to be real

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Is there still a discord where I can learn bird updates?

This standoffish lady macaw I was told didn’t like men hums/brrrrs at me <3

I once (1 time) incited the kookaburra to cry

All in all a good year so far

platzapS fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 22, 2024

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I have brought millet into the household, but only for bribing Blue.

Which is making for some humorous interactions in which Serra tries to get some millet, then has a Very Birb Freakout when Blue shows up.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Ah yes, in this birdhouse we call Tux's attempts to get at Tinky's treats "goin' on a millet mission".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Ah yes, in this birdhouse we call Tux's attempts to get at Tinky's treats "goin' on a millet mission".

lmao clever lil birb

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

Mission Impossnibble :3:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Pookah posted:

Mission Impossnibble :3:

Oh my goodness :3:

He's a smart birb, he even figured out how to angle the peg holding the millet with his foot to move it closer to his beak.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

it took them a little bit to figure it out, but having a "foraging tray" to keep them occupied in the evening has been great

still not letting the fuckers out when we eat dinner. They act indifferent for a bit but it always ends with one bird bumrushing my plate and the other close behind

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

it took them a little bit to figure it out, but having a "foraging tray" to keep them occupied in the evening has been great

still not letting the fuckers out when we eat dinner. They act indifferent for a bit but it always ends with one bird bumrushing my plate and the other close behind

lmao

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

Oh my goodness :3:

He's a smart birb, he even figured out how to angle the peg holding the millet with his foot to move it closer to his beak.

In my very limited experience, that puts him in.the top 99.999th percentile of cockatiels. They are just the sweetest, gentlest little friends but they are not known for their mighty intellect.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Smart with their hearts! (we say this about our doofiest dog)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
He Borbin'

He has progressed to the early stage of step-up meaning he can just hop onto a finger, then immediately off the other side. It's exhausting work.

Pookah posted:

In my very limited experience, that puts him in.the top 99.999th percentile of cockatiels. They are just the sweetest, gentlest little friends but they are not known for their mighty intellect.

Serra is the "smartest" cockatiel I've ever been around. Which translates to her being possibly the most ridiculously jumpy cockatiel ever.

I swapped the stand beneath her sleep cage last night. This meant she bolted out of my room four straight times, refusing to get near her sleep cage. I had to literally put my hand over her wings to get her into the sleep cage.

The "Smartest Cockatiel" award isn't far off from "The Fastest Possum" or "Most Evasive Turtle" award.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
My great-grandfather, who personally fought actual God damned nazis, was known to have an absurd sense of humor.

So I think he'd be ok with me stealing one of his picture frames for something truly ridiculous.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

^^^^ aaaa that's not ridiculous it's perfection!

Pookah posted:

There's plenty of derpatiel in the little guy. When we first brought him home he kept trying to climb through the perspex sides of his seedmate and wouldn't stop until we covered it with stickers. It also took him a while and some coaching to figure out that's where his food lives.

He's still also Extremely Cautious of Tinky, even though Tinky is like half his size :3:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Log I have stolen your bird. He is chilling with ours now. I will give him back for $1K

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

titty_baby_ posted:

Captain Log I have stolen your bird. He is chilling with ours now. I will give him back for $1K

After extensive investigation, I can confirm Blue has NOT been stolen. Even though he confused me for hours by sitting beneath this sign.

He is not a cockatiel.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So Chick has been sick for a very, very long time. I have no idea what it is, there's no avian vets in this country, and I've probably spent upwards of $1500 on various treatments, medications, online consultations and supplements. Multiple courses over the years of different drugs didn't seem to do the trick. We had a brief positive outcome when I was giving her doxycycline, she became more vocal and active and less tired. She quickly reverted back to her old self once we stopped.

I've just now realised I had a faulty scale (supposed to be accurate to +-0.01g). Two separate supplements from two separate manufacturers claimed their dosing spoon makes exactly 1g. Each time I put it on the scale, it showed as 6g. So I realised I've been heavily underdosing my girls when giving them treatments. Confirmed it with my regular +-1g kitchen scales. I was genuinely so frustrated at all the time wasted.

Chick responded really well to her (underdosed) course of doxycycline previously, so I'm hoping that if I give her a properly dosed course, she'll perk right up and be a new bird again. She's basically mute at the moment, or very rarely vocal. She's also very tired and I just know she's not feeling good. I'm suspecting respiratory. Towards the back-end of her previous course of doxy, she became so much more whistley and chirpy and energetic. She'd sit on my knee and just chirrup away. I'm praying we get back to that and stay at that level.

I was away for a week on business, it's safe to say the girls missed me lots. My bird sitter said they refuse to come out of their room even if the door is left open. The only time they're interested in being in the living room is when I'm home :cheersbird: Chick is looking a bit ragged as she's going through a moult.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 25, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

man i think about you guys often and i think you’re doing the absolute best you can by those birds. fingers crossed that’s the ticket.

me and the birbs are sitting in the window and enjoying some sun today

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I don't have a good picture for this, but Opal loves to be the flattest birb. Just smooshes herself into a hand

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Qubee posted:

So Chick has been sick for a very, very long time. I have no idea what it is, there's no avian vets in this country, and I've probably spent upwards of $1500 on various treatments, medications, online consultations and supplements. Multiple courses over the years of different drugs didn't seem to do the trick. We had a brief positive outcome when I was giving her doxycycline, she became more vocal and active and less tired. She quickly reverted back to her old self once we stopped.

I've just now realised I had a faulty scale (supposed to be accurate to +-0.01g). Two separate supplements from two separate manufacturers claimed their dosing spoon makes exactly 1g. Each time I put it on the scale, it showed as 6g. So I realised I've been heavily underdosing my girls when giving them treatments. Confirmed it with my regular +-1g kitchen scales. I was genuinely so frustrated at all the time wasted.

Chick responded really well to her (underdosed) course of doxycycline previously, so I'm hoping that if I give her a properly dosed course, she'll perk right up and be a new bird again. She's basically mute at the moment, or very rarely vocal. She's also very tired and I just know she's not feeling good. I'm suspecting respiratory. Towards the back-end of her previous course of doxy, she became so much more whistley and chirpy and energetic. She'd sit on my knee and just chirrup away. I'm praying we get back to that and stay at that level.

I was away for a week on business, it's safe to say the girls missed me lots. My bird sitter said they refuse to come out of their room even if the door is left open. The only time they're interested in being in the living room is when I'm home :cheersbird: Chick is looking a bit ragged as she's going through a moult.

My heart goes out to your situation. There is no worse feeling than being far away from help. But with that said, I cannot think of a better human for your little birds to have on their side.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for all the kind words, fingers crossed this is the treatment that finally gets Chick back to 100%. I'm feeling so optimistic because just from one day, she's become so much more vocal.

We have this really cute routine where she'll land on my shoulder or hand, and if I reach out to her with my nose, she'll bop her beak against it and just rest there. Melts my heart every time. Then I just make random robot noises right up against her face and she'll snooze lmao I can never capture any of it because as soon as I pick up my phone to start recording, she'll whizz off to bite the case.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Thanks for all the kind words, fingers crossed this is the treatment that finally gets Chick back to 100%. I'm feeling so optimistic because just from one day, she's become so much more vocal.

We have this really cute routine where she'll land on my shoulder or hand, and if I reach out to her with my nose, she'll bop her beak against it and just rest there. Melts my heart every time. Then I just make random robot noises right up against her face and she'll snooze lmao I can never capture any of it because as soon as I pick up my phone to start recording, she'll whizz off to bite the case.

:kimchi:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DM me if you'd like some cute, freshly made videos of Chick belting her little heart out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Serra, for the first time since she was a juvenile, has access to millet.

Why?

Forced Friendship Bribery, that's why.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Serra, for the first time since she was a juvenile, has access to millet.

Why?

Forced Friendship Bribery, that's why.

:kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I captured a video for y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fl5hlRdo2A

You'll catch Blue trying to peck away Serra at one point. Why? Because he thinks the food needs to be put in his beak, so he can chase her around and try to puke it back at her.

Because male parakeets are special creatures.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Are we doing birds eating? Managed to get Link and Zelda stuffing their faces a couple days ago, up until now they've always flown off when I bust out the camera. Proof that budgies can be taught to eat their greens.

https://i.imgur.com/TChA75B.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gQCjIGV.mp4

Bonus hot chick in the bath!

https://i.imgur.com/az91W3C.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/qjyoAuC.mp4

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Where we started:

Where we're at:

The medicine is working so well, each day has Chick getting more and more back to her old self. She's noisy, adventurous and happy. I love to see it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

I captured a video for y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fl5hlRdo2A

You'll catch Blue trying to peck away Serra at one point. Why? Because he thinks the food needs to be put in his beak, so he can chase her around and try to puke it back at her.

Because male parakeets are special creatures.

God, she's so round.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

She's looking spritely! Love to see those happy birds. Go Chick, you good thing <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

bee posted:

She's looking spritely! Love to see those happy birds. Go Chick, you good thing <3

(That's Wasabi!)