Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

People still get mad about Urianger?

verily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the one piece anime bad today because they dont do filler anymore?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

He is literally one of the best characters and a lot of that has to do with how he speaks. How are people so dumb?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

getting mad about urianger is vaguely on the same level as making fun of the ffx tidus laugh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

essentially? yeah. that combined with stubbornly clinging onto their incredibly competitive timeslot means they still need an episode a week so, without filler, it means dragging out one 15-page chapter's worth of content to a whole 20+ minutes of episode setting aside openings and, recently, endings

this is the main reason people recommend One Pace. it may on some level feel presumptuous to let fans edit down a series according to how they feel it should be paced but they do it because the anime very much needs it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Runa posted:

essentially? yeah. that combined with stubbornly clinging onto their incredibly competitive timeslot means they still need an episode a week so, without filler, it means dragging out one 15-page chapter's worth of content to a whole 20+ minutes of episode setting aside openings and, recently, endings

this is the main reason people recommend One Pace. it may on some level feel presumptuous to let fans edit down a series according to how they feel it should be paced but they do it because the anime very much needs it

that seems very disrespectful to Oda to gently caress his comic up, even if he probably doesn't care about the anime adaptation....

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

that seems very disrespectful to Oda to gently caress his comic up, even if he probably doesn't care about the anime adaptation....

how will they get more solid gold Lamborghinis otherwise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Well, it does feel like nobody's really satisfied with the situation. A certain amount of content buffer does exist now, thankfully, so they can budget out certain big fights with big spectacles, guest animators and staff. This is why some Wano episodes are just, seemingly inexplicably beautiful in both animation quality and cinematography. Movie level stuff just sandwiched between weeks of your usual low-budget content stretching.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Runa posted:

Well, it does feel like nobody's really satisfied with the situation. A certain amount of content buffer does exist now, thankfully, so they can budget out certain big fights with big spectacles, guest animators and staff. This is why some Wano episodes are just, seemingly inexplicably beautiful in both animation quality and cinematography. Movie level stuff just sandwiched between weeks of your usual low-budget content stretching.

I'll look on the bright side and look forward to seeing extended scenes of Anime-Yamato when I'm done reading the comic

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Do ppl still think the one piece anime is bad, like now, now? everyone seemed to enjoy Wano, manga-to-anime pacing aside, and I'm enjoying Egghead, jumping in again after a decade plus

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

That first episode of Egghead is one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen, super fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The direction and general production has gotten very good but the pacing is what it is

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
People do seem to talk way more about the former than latter, to the point I felt a bit blindsided when checking out the Gear Five episodes at the end of Wano.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The direction and general production has gotten very good but the pacing is what it is

Yeah that's ultimately the kicker for me

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Yes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Naruto filler jumped between awful and fun filler like the dbz driving episode

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

there's a reason why people are excited about the idea of The One Piece as it is essentially presented as One Piece Kai

there's good stuff in the anime but jfc that runtime

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's gonna be sick when the anime remake starts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

there's a reason why people are excited about the idea of The One Piece as it is essentially presented as One Piece Kai

there's good stuff in the anime but jfc that runtime

The issue here is, the early parts of the anime are already fine IIRC?

So it's gonna be a long long time before the remake gets to the parts that were turned into time wastes.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The real question is how many seasons until Wit abandons it, and does Mappa pick it up after?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

One Piece, by Trigger

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

symbolic posted:

it's gonna be sick when the anime remake starts

i'll be dead by then

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Have each season be done by a different studio.
Hype for One Piece season by Studio DEEN and then ufotable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Runa posted:

Yeah that's ultimately the kicker for me

Basically, I'll tune in if it's an episode with a really good moment to see how they do it, but I'm not coming in for every episode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

i'll be dead by then

They’ve already announced a remake of the anime funded by Netflix, OP

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

They’ve already announced a remake of the anime funded by Netflix, OP

lol, netflix

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

grabbed an origiri at H-mart.

was pretty good. was doubting the paper dry seaweed wrapping cause i usually don't like that texture.
but it went really well with the very strong flavor of the actual riceball

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Netflix providing funding actually seems like a good thing? They throw absurd amounts of money at projects so long as their investors keep propping them up, so if the groups getting those funds to make or promote shows use it wisely it could yield sometbing positive. Ride that gravy train as long as you can before the floor drops out and streaming implodes.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They also love to cancel shows after a couple seasons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

They also love to cancel shows after a couple seasons.

a One Piece remake would make approximately three gazillion dollars in ad revenue so not sure that's an issue

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

GateOfD posted:

grabbed an origiri at H-mart.

was pretty good. was doubting the paper dry seaweed wrapping cause i usually don't like that texture.
but it went really well with the very strong flavor of the actual riceball

I'm so spoiled because my local Japanese market has really good onigiri for a buck each, and onigiri bento for $5. The ones at h-mart are so pricey.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when you get past a certain point money doesn't really matter for anime production quality so all it being netflix funded means is, it has a budget and probably a schedule. which is good just netflix money is not the magic maker here one piece is not being supported in its existence by netflix money, netflix is putting big money in to get it out of one piece. this is also why netflix is not going to drop the production, this isn't a random bit of original tv they don't actually care about

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

They do 1 episode per week while there's at least 1 break week every month for the manga. So they functionally do a pace of 3/4ths a chapter per episode. For reference most seasonal anime nowadays is around 3 chapters per episode.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's going to be the cheaper of their OP projects so in that sense there's incentive to hold onto it. But I will maintain some skepticism given the companies involved and the weird place streaming is in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I remember one of my better birthdays I had a whole platter of sashimi and drank sake till I got poo poo faced then walked home

a++

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The issue here is, the early parts of the anime are already fine IIRC?

So it's gonna be a long long time before the remake gets to the parts that were turned into time wastes.

yeah but everyone will get to watch the good parts all over again and no one hates that

I can just never recommend watching the anime to a friend. like bruh I respect you too much for that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah but everyone will get to watch the good parts all over again and no one hates that

Plus I guess you can retell the story more “faithfully” and briskly, iirc a lot of early One Piece is done at two chapters per episode which is still I think a little slower than a lot of modern anime adaptations. I don’t think the early episodes are really worse for the minor filler interspersed in (if anything sometimes the filler makes things better like Zoro’s backstory) but I guess you can use it as a selling point?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It can also include stuff like the cover arcs and hopefully doesnt have ppl bitch about them this time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

'How do we improve and optimize our processes where we can get the subtitles done in various languages across the world faster so that we can launch as close to the Japanese release as possible?'" he outlined. "So that's definitely an area that we're focused on."

you already have simulsubs what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

They do 1 episode per week while there's at least 1 break week every month for the manga. So they functionally do a pace of 3/4ths a chapter per episode. For reference most seasonal anime nowadays is around 3 chapters per episode.

theres an amazing interview with the writer of the dbz anime where its like

Q: What was the most difficult thing you've had to write?

A: Well, during the battle with Frieza, we were very very close to the manga, and there was no real way to insert new material in to buy us more time, like we did later with Garlic Jr, during the gap between Frieza and the Androids. At one point, we stretched 3 panels out into one episode. 3 panels. in one episode. So yes, that was rather difficult.