Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
An empty box titled "What's new in new Teams" greeted me this morning

Can't lie, if the box is correct then I'm glad nothing has been hosed with since yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

a "What's broken in Teams" box would be a lot more helpful but it would probably read like one of those giant 40 page EULAs

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my teams client crashed and wouldn’t reopen until I restarted :tipshat:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got it!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

work outlook updated, what the gently caress? is this how microsoft thinks "smilies" is supposed to be spelled?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Actual Teams User

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How did Windows XP manage to avoid being a complete disaster? You’d think that changing from DOS to NT would bump up the minimum requirements and make a lot of software and hardware incompatible, but if that was common then people would still be bitter about it. All those problems happened with Vista, despite it being less of an overhaul.

One of the interviews on Dave’s Garage brought up Longhorn. Despite how much a success XP was at unifying the home and business versions of Windows, the Longhorn team wanted to split them again. The home versions could be consumer slop with more frequent new versions and less testing. Since they prioritised new features instead of stability, it was nearly impossible to get Longhorn in a releasable state.

Now everyone’s stuck with consumer Windows unless you’re somehow able to access LTSC

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
xp pre sp3 was a disaster, especially on the security side

when you would image a machine with xp and then connect it to the internet to download the latest updates it was a race to see if it could download and install those updates before the machine was port-scanned and attacked

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sasser and Blaster was fun times for everyone

good thing crypto ransoms hadn't been invented yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I worked for a security software company 2004-2006 and a lot of the demos were pretty hilarious, like "take a brand new windows machine and expose it to the internet for 90 seconds, whoops now it has malware that lives in the motherboard bios forever"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FMguru posted:

xp pre sp3 was a disaster, especially on the security side

when you would image a machine with xp and then connect it to the internet to download the latest updates it was a race to see if it could download and install those updates before the machine was port-scanned and attacked

You’re right, but was it any worse at online security than Windows 98 SE?

What was their reason for releasing Windows ME? Seems like a scam to sell people a dead-end DOS-based OS when they were about to switch everything over to NT.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

That loving Sned posted:

How did Windows XP manage to avoid being a complete disaster? You’d think that changing from DOS to NT would bump up the minimum requirements and make a lot of software and hardware incompatible, but if that was common then people would still be bitter about it. All those problems happened with Vista, despite it being less of an overhaul.

2000 was the one that made the switch from DOS/9X to NT. and the requirement's did go up. 98 was usable with 16 or 32MB, 2000 really needed 64 minimum.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I have bad memories of windows 2000 running on 64mb in a domain environment

Paired with a badly fragmented mechanical drive booting the computer, logging on and reaching the desktop could be a 15 minute process
Virtual memory is kind of a cursed invention, it gave developers an excuse to stop caring about reasonable memory allocations and let the OS deal with it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

You’re right, but was it any worse at online security than Windows 98 SE?

What was their reason for releasing Windows ME? Seems like a scam to sell people a dead-end DOS-based OS when they were about to switch everything over to NT.

it was a stop-gap because their first attempt to switch everybody over to NT was a failure that got canceled before release

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ME was a bunch of half-tested new features and patches that could have been a service pack for 98, but OEMs wanted a new OS because they were dumb and scared of 2000 (which had already been released) because it was NT and might not run grandma's knitting pattern editor from 1993.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

2000 was the one that made the switch from DOS/9X to NT. and the requirement's did go up. 98 was usable with 16 or 32MB, 2000 really needed 64 minimum.

arguably 2k wasn’t pushed out as a replacement for everything

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sweevo posted:

ME was a bunch of half-tested new features and patches that could have been a service pack for 98, but OEMs wanted a new OS because they were dumb and scared of 2000 (which had already been released) because it was NT and might not run grandma's knitting pattern editor from 1993.

98 didn't deserve to have that crap dropped on it, I'm glad ME got used as a one-and-done containment zone for a lot of junk

I remember begging my dad to let me put a totally legit copy of win 2k I acquired from a friend on our family computer to replace ME, but he was too much of a square to let me try :(

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Up-to-date microsoft news: the 'join online' button in Outlook reminders no-longer works for approximately 50% of the office, nobody knows why

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

Up-to-date microsoft news: the 'join online' button in Outlook reminders no-longer works for approximately 50% of the office, nobody knows why
do you have Teams (new) (for work or school) (beta)?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jammyozzy posted:

yay cloud :yaycloud:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Chris Knight posted:

do you have Teams (new) (for work or school) (beta)?

Some people do, but it seems to affect both Teams (new) and Teams Fortress Classic

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
some peeps were saying the same thing at work, and either a reboot and/or restarting Teams did the trick

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

That loving Sned posted:

One of the interviews on Dave’s Garage brought up Longhorn. Despite how much a success XP was at unifying the home and business versions of Windows, the Longhorn team wanted to split them again. The home versions could be consumer slop with more frequent new versions and less testing. Since they prioritised new features instead of stability, it was nearly impossible to get Longhorn in a releasable state.

Now everyone’s stuck with consumer Windows unless you’re somehow able to access LTSC

xp is just an iteration on windows 2000, this is reflected in its kernel version (5.1). windows 2000 already had much better hardware support than nt 4, and had more UI refinements than both NT 4 and windows 98(se)

That loving Sned posted:

so their rationale for releasing ME was to bring the 9x line into apparent (literally, appearances only) parity with windows 2000. it copied most of the changes to the ui, and notoriously simply hid DOS instead of removing it

pseudorandom name posted:

it was a stop-gap because their first attempt to switch everybody over to NT was a failure that got canceled before release

this isn't exactly right, but it's close. windows "neptune" was supposed to be the consumer version of NT, but it got rolled into the whistler project (intended to be the next "pro" iteration of NT) and became whistler home edition, aka windows xp home edition

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also iirc there was one (1) release of windows neptune, and it had a kernel version of 5.5 or something

it had some interesting ideas like the simplified control panel and full-screen logon that ended up in xp, but other than that wasn't really very different from 2k and then got axed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

my outlook likes to give me a “join Skype meeting” button on meetings that are obviously set to zoom links in the location field.

haven’t been brave enough to try clicking it yet.not sure where I’ll wind up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also

That loving Sned posted:

All those problems happened with Vista, despite it being less of an overhaul.

xp -> vista was a much bigger overhaul than 2k -> xp. this is also reflected in its kernel version (6.0). it made major changes to the display driver model and graphics stack in general, had security refinements from windows server 2003, added a slew of features (that were far less ambitious than originally planned, but still), etc

i was on the beta team for longhorn from the beginning, and there was always a home edition. i'm assuming you're talking about dave cutler? he should know better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jammyozzy posted:

this has been a thing across multiple clients for at least half of february. poo poo be broke and the usual incantations do not fix it reliably or permanently.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved when Steve made fun of all the versions of windows by saying there was a bunch of versions of leopard or whatever but they all cost the same .

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I loved when Steve made fun of all the versions of windows by saying there was a bunch of versions of leopard or whatever but they all cost the same .

home: $129
premium: $129
business: $129
enterprise: $129
ultimate: $129
“We think most people are going to buy the ultimate version.”

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm sure beeftweeter will be happy to explain how all versions of windows cost the same if you just use this one weird trick

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

arguably 2k wasn’t pushed out as a replacement for everything

2k was a replacement for NT 4, no more, no less. sweevo is wrong, it wasn't intended to replace 9x or really be for consumers at all

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm sure beeftweeter will be happy to explain how all versions of windows cost the same if you just use this one weird trick

yes, all versions of windows are free if you know enough weird tricks. unfortunately that's usually more than one, but sometimes it's not. depends on which version

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just export the complete mak key list for every OS from the vlsc before I leave an employer, much easier.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

home: $129
premium: $129
business: $129
enterprise: $129
ultimate: $129
“We think most people are going to buy the ultimate version.”

yessss lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

went and found the keynote. seeing a whole hour dedicated to just os x feels utterly wild compared to now where it feels like they just announce a new macos name, couple of features and then move on to the ios variants for an hour

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
steve actually knew how to work an audience, and also what he was talking about when referencing technical features/specs. tim just stands around in front of a bluescreen and throws to other people

apple keynotes are just extended advertisements now, and not particularly good ones

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

steve actually knew how to work an audience, and also what he was talking about when referencing technical features/specs. tim just stands around in front of a bluescreen and throws to other people

apple keynotes are just extended advertisements now, and not particularly good ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5J_dIRjLyU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah they're terrible. if you can't get a guy to compellingly read the bullet points or whatever just give us the loving slideshow, this poo poo is supposed to be for developers

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah they're terrible. if you can't get a guy to compellingly read the bullet points or whatever just give us the loving slideshow, this poo poo is supposed to be for developers

WWDC is for developers like E3 was for gaming industry professionals

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sweevo posted:

XP was godawful on 64MB and even on 128MB you weren't having a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

WWDC is for developers like E3 was for gaming industry professionals

WWDC was absolutely for developers before tim took over. steve was just a good enough presenter to make it intelligible and compelling for regular people

in comparison WWDC under tim is just a series of bad ads presented poorly for an audience of morons