Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jam Master Jay was betrayed by his family. Greed means conservatorships are good and likely more are required for celebrities to prevent their families from killing or maiming them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/schaferfiles/status/1762649656876560680

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nonsense posted:

Jam Master Jay was betrayed by his family. Greed means conservatorships are good and likely more are required for celebrities to prevent their families from killing or maiming them.

jam master jay got killed over the song ghetto quran by 50 cent bc couldn't get to 50
Kenneth "supreme" mcgriff was behind the shooting hes doin life at adx florence

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

This keeps getting reported on but I've heard conflicting reports that this has more to do with greedy execs leaking potentially false info to the press in order to try and get someone to buy the company and make a killing, and that Paramount may not actually be doing as bad as reported. Not sure if there's any truth to those rumors though, I just want to believe them because I am enjoying P+ for star trek and the john halo show and my partner likes being able to watch women's soccer on there.

They sold off a bunch of unreleased originals last year, like A Murder At The End Of The World and the upcoming Ripley. Doesn't sound good tbh.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Poor Things kicked rear end, Lanthimos has done it again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Movie of the year for me, but McNamara/Lanthimos is basically a combination that feels like is made exclusively for me

I watched it in theaters with 3 other people and I was the only person who liked it, but I was loving enthralled

I'll say it again though anybody who likes Poor Things please watch The Great, it's drat near the same thing but with tsarist Russia and with such a lovable cast playing some of the worst people to ever exist

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

They sold off a bunch of unreleased originals last year, like A Murder At The End Of The World and the upcoming Ripley. Doesn't sound good tbh.

This is BULLSHIT. I need Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks to get 7 seasons. I also would like Halo to get to the titular Halo.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yeah i thought of The Great a couple times because this the laugh out loud funniest Lanthimos/McNamara. I dont usually have opinions about Ruffalo, hes decent enough but too same-y, but he was actually interesting and hilarious for once. Stone's performance is honestly superlative and if she doesn't win its robbery

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah i thought of The Great a couple times because this the laugh out loud funniest Lanthimos/McNamara. I dont usually have opinions about Ruffalo, hes decent enough but too same-y, but he was actually interesting and hilarious for once. Stone's performance is honestly superlative and if she doesn't win its robbery

I'm very excited to see the short collection he's apparently got coming out, and the remake he's working on with Stone

really anything with Emma Stone is straight to the top of my watch list on the strength of this
Lanthimos was already a given

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

really anything with Emma Stone is straight to the top of my watch list on the strength of this

watch The Curse if you haven't. GOTY

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Xaris posted:

when keighly announced the curse had won Game Of The Year i was surprised but couldnt really argue against it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

when keighly announced the curse had won Game Of The Year i was surprised but couldnt really argue against it

get his rear end

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

oh its made by the same people who made the great???? im completely sold

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

Oh hell yeah, I kinda forgot about it but it really is the year of Emma Stone and magic realism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

oh its made by the same people who made the great???? im completely sold

also The Favourite, which is another great movie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

also The Favourite, which is another great movie

oh yeah i liked that one a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my partner loves Jane Austen and historical edwardian romance poo poo like bridgerton and emma. she really wanted to watch The Favourite and I thought it was going to be some Jane Austen poo poo and dragged my feet but i was like well alright, let's go. turns out i fuckin' loved it, enthralled the whole time, and was my GOTY; however, she absolutely hated it and was unsettled the whole time lol

exact same thing also happened with Green Knight which was also my MGOTY for 2021

love to rack up unintentional wins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Poor Things is so loving good
it's even got some sorta Henry Selick-esque set design seemingly out of nowhere that really sets it apart as a fever dream of a movie
so pretty, so funny, so quotable, I think it's going to be a touchstone of film nerds for years

I need to watch it again right now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

my partner loves Jane Austen and historical edwardian romance poo poo like bridgerton and emma. she really wanted to watch The Favourite and I thought it was going to be some Jane Austen poo poo and dragged my feet but i was like well alright, let's go. turns out i fuckin' loved it, enthralled the whole time, and was my GOTY; however, she absolutely hated it and was unsettled the whole time lol

exact same thing also happened with Green Knight which was also my MGOTY for 2021

dudes stay rocking

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i like the recent spate of gay (laudatory) little comedies about historical figures, that doesn't really care about the history part too much. our flag means death was great too imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

dudes stay rocking
yep. both times in theater none the less and we hardly ever go the theater together since we have vastly different tastes in movies.

the last 4 movies we saw together in a theater (being reluctantly dragged to but trying to keep the missus happy) was The Favourite, Little Women, Emma, and Green Knight. and 2 of those i ended up loving despite thinking they were going to be something boring. also i think i like little women more than she did, so another win for me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

our flag means death was great too imo

s1 was good but i thought they really dropped the ball with s2. anyways its cancelled so i guess that's the end of that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

s1 was good but i thought they really dropped the ball with s2. anyways its cancelled so i guess that's the end of that

it is good that it was cancelled, they kind of ran out of runway with the first season

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

i like the recent spate of gay (laudatory) little comedies about historical figures, that doesn't really care about the history part too much. our flag means death was great too imo

Yeah and it's seemingly the only subgenre of media now that has anything approaching catharsis or levity for its characters

Like seriously everything made for a mass market or prestige bracket is so loving cynical and I get it, that's realism, but the world sucks enough
Let me have a moment of happy escapism with my friends Blackbeard and Stede oh wait you cancelled it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

it is good that it was cancelled, they kind of ran out of runway with the first season
that's true, after s2 i was just like alright man, that's enough, stick a fork in it

while it's not historical, if you haven't watched it I thought the Good Omens adaption was very gay (laudatory) and pretty good all things considered how badly it could have went. both sheen and tenneman give a good performance. it even got renewed for a third season which is actually kinda shocking but I don't think it's getting a fourth.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the second season of Our Flag was stuck with the ending of the first. Not a lot you can really do with your show about sweet loving pair of special ragamuffins if one starts murdering the other one's perfectly nice friends. The show couldn't go back to golden gaytimes after that one, but that was the central appeal of the show so I guess it felt it had to.

Xaris posted:

gay (laudatory)

This doesn't need to be clarified.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's so funny that every major media conglomerate chased Netflix's model directly off a cliff without ever doing the math to see if streaming was actually profitable
Yep. Streaming is very profitable when you can license other people's back catalogs basically for free because media companies don't know or care what streaming is (first few years of Netflix streaming). It's way, way, way less profitable when you have to pay to make loads of new content, everyone else is also trying to jump on the bandwagon, and bandwidth costs are though the roof (current state of streaming).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJcWb11W14

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
Cameo is being used for political propaganda — by tricking the stars involved

www.npr.org posted:

Lindsay Lohan and other celebrities were tricked into calling for the ouster of Moldova's president through videos requested on the Cameo app that were edited and posted on TikTok.

TikTok/Screenshot by NPR

The video first appeared on TikTok last fall, with a Russian title card reading, "an urgent appeal from Hollywood stars to Maia Sandu."

Sandu is the pro-European president of Moldova, a small country tucked between Romania and Ukraine that's long been in the shadow of Russian influence. She's repeatedly criticized Russia's invasion of Ukraine and is a frequent target of pro-Russian political attacks.

The video is bizarre. It opens with a series of celebrities cheerfully greeting Sandu, as Moldova's national anthem plays in the background. It cuts quickly from action star Dolph Lundgren to Lindsay Lohan of Mean Girls to Brian Baumgartner from the sitcom The Office to rapper Xzibit and others, all addressing the camera selfie-style.

Then things get weirder. The celebrities, likely reading from a phonetically transliterated script, start repeating the same phrase in halting Russian: "Davaite Skinem Sandu." That translates to, "Let's get rid of Sandu."

"We, Hollywood stars, support the people of Moldova in their desire to overthrow you, Sandu," the text on screen reads.

Why the sudden celebrity interest in a former Soviet state that's home to just 2.5 million people?

It turns out, the stars were paid to make these videos through the app Cameo — but they had no idea they would be used like this.

Cameo allows anyone to pay a celebrity to record a personalized video, from birthday well wishes to congratulations on retirement to pranks on friends. Sometimes they're used to troll the Cameo performers themselves.

Lately, Cameo stars have been unwittingly recruited for political ends. Last year, pro-Russian propagandists used Cameo videos to falsely depict celebrities including Elijah Wood, Mike Tyson, and Priscilla Presley urging Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to seek help for addiction.

The video targeting Sandu used similar trickery. Actor and martial artist Mark Dacascos, who greets Sandu in the video with a friendly "Aloha," received a Cameo request from a user who went by the name of Mandy, Dacascos's representative told NPR. He was told the video was meant for a person named Sandu who was becoming a stuntwoman.

Instead, the videos were scrubbed of their Cameo watermarks and edited together into a supercut claiming Hollywood had turned on Sandu. It spread widely on TikTok, Facebook, and in pro-Russian Telegram channels, getting hundreds of thousands of views, and was picked up by Russian media, according to researcher Victoria Olari at the Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab.

Olari, who's based in Moldova's capital, Chisinau, first spotted the video in her "For You" feed on TikTok. She thought it seemed odd from the start, from the warm smiles to the fact they addressed Sandu by her last name. That's characteristic of Russian, not English, usage, Olari said.

"The meaning of the messages they are delivering is different, you know, it doesn't match the vibe of the video," she said. "And also the fact that these people who are appearing in this video speak Russian in their bad accent. It was really hard even for me to understand what they are saying."

The video carries the logo of an independent Moldovan TV channel, but DFRLab was unable to find any evidence that the station posted the video or had any connection to it.

Olari did not attribute the TikTok video to a particular person or group. But she said attacks on Sandu are ramping up ahead of Moldova's presidential election this fall, and this video fits that strategy.

"It's actually a discrediting campaign, part of a larger manipulation campaign that they are doing right now in Moldova," she said.

While the video might be received by some Moldovans as showing real opposition to Sandu from Hollywood stars, Olari said it's also about mocking Western celebrities as being willing to do anything for money.

"It was just for fun for them," she said of whoever was behind the video. "They openly said that it was a trick."

Cameo says tricking performers in this way goes against its rules. A spokesperson for the company declined to comment on whether it was investigating the incident, but said when it finds violations, it removes the problematic content and bans the account that purchased it.

Most of the performers who appeared in the TikTok video targeting Sandu didn't respond to NPR's questions.

Actor Eric Roberts (the brother of Julia Roberts and father of Emma Roberts) was among the celebrities who received a Cameo request for a Sandu video. In a statement, he said Cameo has largely been "a friendly thing, giving a little bit of happiness to so many people." But he called the incident "a terrifying scam."

"We would never participate in something like what was created out of context in a criminally misleading and manipulative, insanely dishonest way," Roberts said.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Xaris posted:

lol :pwn:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

yeah its good fun

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

this isn't the cyberpunk dystopia thread

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/POCculture/status/1762516608130625980

ayo is right

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762848460401717474?s=20

Why do they keep doing this

just stop

stop already

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Because people go see them

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ayo is hilarious

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
RIP Bill

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The original crow had the advantage of coming out before ICP was widely known. I'm looking at that picture of Bill Skarsgard and all I can think is "woop woop motherfucker, gimme me goddamn faygo"