Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Gold Plan rocks. my favorite team picked fourth place in the lottery after having a 48-point season, at least this way I can be happy down the stretch when they win even if they don’t climb all the way to first instead of hoping they lose and putting my hopes in the hands of a glorified bingo machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno, I think "worst team has the best chance at picking first" is a perfectly fine system. I could easily imagine a situation where a bad team is mathematically eliminated with 20 games to go, and them going 5-14-1 or something in that stretch for 11 points, because they're bad. Maybe another, much better, team was in the race a bit longer. They're mathematically eliminated with 6 games to go, but they manage to end their season strong and they actually win out, earning 12 points. Why should they get the better draft position? I get that the current system is often "rewarding" the bad teams, but if the goal for the league is parity, shouldn't the goal be to improve the worst teams rather than keep them as perpetual losers? We already have teams that have managed to turn themselves into perennial losers even though they get to pick high. This system has the potential to make it even harder for them to get better.

roster building would be different in this scenario. teams would be incentivized to ice playable roster members instead of Chicago’s plan coming into the season of Bedard, gently caress Corey Perry, and 21 members of the Wolves. if a team is truly that bad under a system that rewards winning as the Gold Plan does instead of bottoming all the way out then they shouldn’t be rewarded for that in my view. sure, variance will happen but it’s also volatile in the system that we have where you get large segments of multiple franchises hoping they lose just to get a fraction of a chance at a top pick - I just think it’s a bad system and the other way gives people something to root for instead of hollowing out. it’d even help the owners - this is still a gate-driven league and it’d have a chance and helping to continue interest down the stretch even in “lost” seasons!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think the gold plan need is dependent on how widespread the view of fans wanting your team to lose game 75 of the season is if you can’t make the playoffs.

I know I was annoyed when the Canucks scored a goal to tie a game late in the season last season. If that’s just a view held by nerds who post on dead comedy forums that doesn’t matter. If that view is being shared with the casual fan half watching the game in some bar then that’s a problem.

My guess is the percentage of fans who know draft pick percentages is in the single digits, but about 90% of Twitter. Outside of Bedard pedigree type draft years it’s probably halved again

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm in favour of any system that gets rid of tanking. Fans should always want their team to win, even if they're not making the playoffs.

I always thought the teams that fought up to the wire and barely missed it should be top of the draft. The problem then is that in theory the worst team gets the worst non-playoff draft pick and has a harder time becoming a contender, but we have Edmonton ruining first picks for a decade and generational players getting stuck on teams that are in management hell, so I'd rather see them going to someone who will contend in the next few years anyway.

Bring in relegation to shuffle out the bottom of the barrel if it stays too stagnant.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 29, 2024

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I wouldn't bet on 90% of twitter knowing anything

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I wouldn't bet on 90% of twitter knowing anything

Edit to “think they know”.

How about bottom two team demoted to AHL, third team gets first overall. High stakes tanking.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
if nothing else it makes the last 20-25 games of the season meaningful for the Buffalos of the world which is surely worth something to the fans of those franchises.

If some team goes 10-0-0 after they get eliminated with 3 weeks left in the season and sneak the #1 pick over the teams that have been out since early February then oh well, at least it makes a hell of a run for those fans.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 29, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Starsfan posted:

if nothing else it makes the last 20-25 games of the season meaningful for the Buffalos of the world which is surely worth something to the fans of those franchises.

If some team goes 10-0-0 after they get eliminated with 3 weeks left in the season and sneak the #1 pick over the teams that have been out since early February then oh well, at least it makes a hell of a story for those fans.

I guess what I am getting at is if I was a more casual fan, and that happened to the team I followed, I would just straight up quit watching hockey. It wouldn't be a hell of a story, it would just suck rear end to watch your team lose all year and then have a better team come in and get the first overall pick because they were already a better team to begin with and they got hot after being eliminated.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I think the wording is ambiguous... "most points earned after being eliminated" isn't how I would do it. I would base it on overall standings. Anyone after the playoff line is now playing for draft picks.

But that could be what they meant by 'most points earned' and they just said it badly.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess what I am getting at is if I was a more casual fan, and that happened to the team I followed, I would just straight up quit watching hockey. It wouldn't be a hell of a story, it would just suck rear end to watch your team lose all year and then have a better team come in and get the first overall pick because they were already a better team to begin with and they got hot after being eliminated.

how is that any different than finishing last place in the Connor McDavid draft year and then losing the lottery though? You'd still feel cheated wouldn't you?

Thinking on it the only circumstance where I can see an objection arising that I would have some sympathy for is a team like San Jose getting hammered with injuries after the all-star break leaving them incapable of competing with NHL rosters and they end up picking like 10th or w/e cause they go 3-22-1 over the relevant time period.. that would be like a kick in the teeth after a bad season lol..

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone mentioned how Don Granato got an unsportsmanlike conduct minor last night and Sheldon Keefe got a game misconduct and was ejected? How often do coaches get penalties? And why doesn’t Rod Brind’Amour get several every game?

Refs are acting more and more like cops every day, giving a coach a game misconduct is like arresting someone for resisting arrest.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Starsfan posted:

If some team goes 10-0-0 after they get eliminated with 3 weeks left in the season and sneak the #1 pick over the teams that have been out since early February then oh well, at least it makes a hell of a run for those fans.

It's the Vancouver Canucks time to shine!

Edit: ^^ Rod doesn't get penalties because they're still scared of him. Which is fair.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/5306268/2024/02/28/pwhl-playoff-format-draft-lottery/?source=user_shared_article PWHL announces playoff format, Gold Plan draft-order system

“In the PWHL, once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it begins earning “draft order points” in all subsequent games using the league’s standard points system. The team with the most “draft order points” at the end of the regular season will be awarded the first-overall pick in the draft. The second non-playoff team with the most “draft order points” will have the second-overall pick.”

Here’s Down Goes Brown’s analysis from years back:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shane-doan-tanking-gold-plan-nhl-lottery-draft/

Also, there’s only 6 PWHL teams, but while it’s “only” one slot, some big name players will be likely draft eligible this year. Sarah Fillier is almost definitely the number 1 pick, so that’s a big difference for whichever team gets 1st.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Starsfan posted:

how is that any different than finishing last place in the Connor McDavid draft year and then losing the lottery though? You'd still feel cheated wouldn't you?

Thinking on it the only circumstance where I can see an objection arising that I would have some sympathy for is a team like San Jose getting hammered with injuries after the all-star break leaving them incapable of competing with NHL rosters and they end up picking like 10th or w/e cause they go 3-22-1 over the relevant time period.. that would be like a kick in the teeth after a bad season lol..

Of course it would still suck, but the lottery is heavily weighted so that one of the worst teams is most likely getting first overall. I would be angrier about losing first overall to a team that is already good and managed to get hot after being eliminated than I would be to lose first overall to another poo poo team hoping to turn their franchise around.

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, there’s only 6 PWHL teams, but while it’s “only” one slot, some big name players will be likely draft eligible this year. Sarah Fillier is almost definitely the number 1 pick, so that’s a big difference for whichever team gets 1st.

This is the other thing I'm wondering. It seems like the Gold Plan might work in a smaller league, where there is already more parity by definition and the best team is still picking 6th regardless. In a 32 team league the gap between the best teams and the worst is much bigger, even just among the teams that don't make the playoffs.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the PWHL should just put a team in edmonton and give 1oa to them every year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anyone mentioned how Don Granato got an unsportsmanlike conduct minor last night and Sheldon Keefe got a game misconduct and was ejected? How often do coaches get penalties? And why doesn’t Rod Brind’Amour get several every game?

Refs are acting more and more like cops every day, giving a coach a game misconduct is like arresting someone for resisting arrest.

I dunno coaches are often big babies and abuse the refs because they think they can get away with it

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It means you want to do what the Canucks have done the last few years and get hot when it doesn't matter any more.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

I dunno coaches are often big babies and abuse the refs because they think they can get away with it

Yeah, they seem to not take those penalties when they don’t think it’s cool to just yell obscenities at the referees. But if that’s going to be okay, then the referees should get to go yell at the benches for being stupid dickheads with terrible power play systems.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

Coaches have to stay on the bench where players can hear what they're saying, so they can't do the Lou Piniella thing from baseball where he rushed out onto the field and started screaming in the umpire's face, but what he actually was saying was "THAT WAS A GOOD CALL! YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY FUCKIN' RIGHT! BUT I HAVE TO STAND UP FOR MY GUYS SO THROW ME THE gently caress OUTTA THIS GAME!"

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It favours tanking really hard up until the week after the trade deadline and then leaning heavily on your uhhh Jason Dickinsons and Tyler Johnsons to carry you afterwards.

I know, the tanking teams being buyers at the deadline would be great.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lord petey gna sign 8x20m and im finna nut cheerios

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

o no one posted it https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1763002409503039726

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1763006899153150063

gently caress i wanted him to come back to vancouver so bad

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1763007151780307367?t=54GEkuAIo5LOC5phAiOe-A&s=19

Edit f, eb

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Oldest guy on the trade block? You bet your rear end Jim Nill is gonna acquire him

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Very relieved Tanev’s going somewhere else. He’d be a great fit on the Leafs but I am so tired of this team giving up premium futures for ~2 months of a guy in their mid-30s; Matthews and Nylander are locked in for half a decade, there’s no reason to keep acting like there aren’t any seasons past this one.

also tbh I don’t trust the Leafs goaltending situation at all so any rental just feels like flushing assets away unless that gets worked out

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Tanev? Sure, as long as it means Suter and Hakanpaa play less instead of bumping Lunk down or something similarly stupid.

Also, in my fantasy league the non-playoff team that earns the most points in the last 5 weeks takes 1st overall which seems to work well and is easy to calculate.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://x.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1763008553873297674?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Need to know who that prospect is otherwise it seems like a light return.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Suter playing less, hahahahahahaha whew good one

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also yeah it means Harley is playing less which would be dumb as poo poo.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yeah I genuinely thought Treliving would blink and give up the 1st.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

man wtf nucks shoulda done that deal

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think Dallas has too many great prospects and the best ones are almost never moved. I wonder who's going the other way

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

https://x.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1763008553873297674?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Need to know who that prospect is otherwise it seems like a light return.

How did no other team beat this offer? That seems so cheap.

e: Dallas doesnt even have any prospects that arent already on the team!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm a little underwhelmed, but I mean, I'm a Flames fan. how else am I supposed to feel

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probably someone they just drafted last year, and the conditional pick probably rises to another 2nd if they reach the WCF or something.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m glad the return seems light. Hopefully it helps normalize the market after those crazy high priced trades for Monahan and Lindholm

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

Probably someone they just drafted last year, and the conditional pick probably rises to another 2nd if they reach the WCF or something.

Yeah I'm thinking Lian Bicshel from 2022 maybe. Between Heiskanen and Harley, they don't really need another LHD. Bicshel is fuckin huge too. Seems like the kind of guy Calgary would like.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

I'm a little underwhelmed, but I mean, I'm a Flames fan. how else am I supposed to feel

I was drinking the Calgarypuck Kool-Aid and thought it was Bourque... Meh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/frank_seravalli/status/1763013586635415821?s=61&t=kkZpWh0cuOguRMpDObNb7g

Im assuming the Devils retained that extra 25% for the pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Here's what I would say about Grushnikov. The Athletic ranks the Stars as having the 16th best prospect pool in the NHL, EP Rinkside has them ranked 19th. The Athletic did not rank him in their top 15 prospects and EP Rinkside had him ranked 16 out of the 16 prospects they mentioned.