Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

UK government pushing a new law on behalf of car companies that would let cops arrest on suspicion of simply having electronic devices that could be used to steal cars. So instead of actually fixing the problem of modern cars being easy to steal with little boxes that connect to the now attached everywhere CANBUS, they're asking for cybersecurity people to be harassed instead. :v:

The car industry is just getting worse and worse.

https://twitter.com/Chican3ry/status/1763099526682780003?t=wzF1BUxakBzjifFPShrOew&s=19

Of course! It's way easier to attack tools than the very wealthy and connected auto industry.
I'm sure it will have no unintended consequences, and be highly effective legislation.
God forbid the auto makers actually learn how to secure and segregate systems.

I don't know about there, but here in the US, we prefer to elect octogenarians who have little to no grasp of technology other than "it's bad" and "back in my day..."

And here I though Toyota was backing of from the Cylon grille thing.

Edit:
Ah, it's an aftermarket thing:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806231525243.html
But isn't that styled after the Town Ace or something JDM?

edit again: I meant Hiace, and no, even Toyota isn't that tacky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_HiAce#Sixth_generation_(H300;_2019)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Actually 26000 dollars? That seems rather high for a steering rack replacement . Yes I am aware that steering racks can be difficult, but 26000?

thats what my guy told me. might be bullshit, who knows. Hes a huge Elon fan so yeah maybe thats all nonsense. The second time being replaced I can believe though since, you know, fiat/chrysler or whatever they call themselves now.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

A bag of rice? pfff

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

That Works posted:

Lol if my dealer was all "we'll throw in 100lbs of rice" I'd be all "hell yeah thanks"

fr

its a gift from god people

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deteriorata posted:

That area of MN has huge community of Hmong that they're trying to appeal to.

Sounds like they need to do a Hmong-ous sale!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

It's going for the Alphard/Vellfire look

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Alphard

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

It's going for the Alphard/Vellfire look

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Alphard

That's the one! I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'd be pretty stoked about a free 100lb sack of jasmine rice with my Camry, and I'd probably keep the empty bag forever in my garage if it had a Toyota logo sewn in

E: This also reminds me of stories my grandpa told of taking my mom and her siblings to events at car dealerships so they could get free ice cream or hotdogs while he test drove cars he had no intention of buying. Definitely smart to keep the rice until the ink is dry

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 1, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds like they need to do a Hmong-ous sale!

Check out the rice sale! Aisle 6, between the Kurds and Hue!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I owned one. It was a sweet ride

:respek:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

Wranglers don't have steering racks. They use an old school steering box with an electric pump.

Early JLs used an aluminum steering box that fail quite quickly, but steel retrofits are still only about $1k inc labour.

I don't know if they'll do a steel steering gear under warranty but there's a manufacturer TSB on the upgrade.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/docs/JLJTSteering.pdf

I was also kinda thinking that too. That they still had a box and associated stuff. Are new jeeps still prone to the death wobble or just the older ones?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arson Daily posted:

thats what my guy told me. might be bullshit, who knows. Hes a huge Elon fan so yeah maybe thats all nonsense. The second time being replaced I can believe though since, you know, fiat/chrysler or whatever they call themselves now.

Next time it happens, tell him I'll change it for only 15,000.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

The Door Frame posted:

I wanted a protégé wagon so badly, but they all were crumbling to dust when they hit my price range at the time

I wanted to get one but the seller failed to disclose that the suspension was a complete shambles

I bought a manual 1997 Volvo 850 sedan instead. I made the right choice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I miss my old Protege :(.

That car was fuckin FUN.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Taught my older son to drive manual in our ‘02 protege when he was 9. I kinda wish I still had that little guy. Best the poo poo out of it and it begged for more.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

It hasn't been an issue since the 90's for any car company that bothers to zinc coat their car bodies. American brands are just absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to this, even worse than the japanese.

Most cars made today are dipped but zinc is not rust protection, only a rust retardant.

Heres a 2008 Passat doing what Passats do:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I saw a blue protege wagon the other day done up in lots of Japanese decals looking super cool and period-correct :2monocle:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I miss my old Protege :(.

That car was fuckin FUN.

it was either protege or civic for me back in 2003 and the mazda dealer either couldnt or wouldnt source me a manual so civic it was. the protege was a nice car though, but i think it would have died long before the civic, which i still own.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Taught my older son to drive manual in our ‘02 protege when he was 9. I kinda wish I still had that little guy. Best the poo poo out of it and it begged for more.

At least you still have the Mazda

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Most cars made today are dipped but zinc is not rust protection, only a rust retardant.

Heres a 2008 Passat doing what Passats do:

When I had my Passat wagon, the vw dealer basically next door to my job at the time had a fantastic service advisor, loved that guy. He noticed a bubble of rust on my left front, let me know about the extended warranty coverage for the corrosion, and set me up with an appointment with their body shop to get it replaced. I was sad when he quit to be a SAHD because his wife was making big bucks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arson Daily posted:

it was either protege or civic for me back in 2003 and the mazda dealer either couldnt or wouldnt source me a manual so civic it was. the protege was a nice car though, but i think it would have died long before the civic, which i still own.

Perhaps. (most likely)

In the summer of 2001 the first Fast and Furious movie had come out and I was just like everyone else and wanted a Civic. They were all expensive as gently caress or beat to poo poo. One day I test drove a 98 Civic EX (?) and thought it was pretty dope. My mom was driving me around and we went half an hour down the highway at her suggestion to test drive this dumb crappy 1997 NOT A HONDA at some small rear end used car lot that had like 6 cars on the lot. Fuckin thing even had a flat tire. I didn't even want to test drive it because I had a raging boner for the Civic I had just test driven, and had test driven another same year Protege a month or so before that had a clutch that needed replacement.

My mom was something like "we're here just shut the gently caress up and test drive the thing". Guy put some air in the tire, and I figured I'd thrash it for half an hour and take it back and tell the guy "sorry, but its not a Honda". Well I thrashed the poo poo out of that car and the whole time it kept saying the automotive equivalent of "thank you sir may I have another"? As far as I was concerned, driving wise, it beat the pants off that Civic and I had to have it.
Don't remember what the asking price was but the total price with taxes and poo poo came out to $10,005.00 even.

One problem was that even with the BP engine the aftermarket was literally non-existant for that generation of Protege. But maybe that saved me from doing things I might regret later.

It was my first car and man did I ever have some fuckin dope rear end times in that thing. Brought it to college with me and did lots of shithead college kid poo poo in it. Fit 6 large adults in it in a Toronto parking garage to hotbox the poo poo out of it before a Crosby Stills Nash and Young concert. Same parking garage a few years later for a Beastie Boys concert. Protege club cruises/meets. Took it north to go dog sledding, road trips to fuckin everywhere and nowhere. The beach, drag strip at Cayuga the races at Mosport, off roading, holy gently caress I miss that thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wesleywillis posted:

Perhaps. (most likely)

In the summer of 2001 the first Fast and Furious movie had come out and I was just like everyone else and wanted a Civic. They were all expensive as gently caress or beat to poo poo. One day I test drove a 98 Civic EX (?) and thought it was pretty dope. My mom was driving me around and we went half an hour down the highway at her suggestion to test drive this dumb crappy 1997 NOT A HONDA at some small rear end used car lot that had like 6 cars on the lot. Fuckin thing even had a flat tire. I didn't even want to test drive it because I had a raging boner for the Civic I had just test driven, and had test driven another same year Protege a month or so before that had a clutch that needed replacement.

My mom was something like "we're here just shut the gently caress up and test drive the thing". Guy put some air in the tire, and I figured I'd thrash it for half an hour and take it back and tell the guy "sorry, but its not a Honda". Well I thrashed the poo poo out of that car and the whole time it kept saying the automotive equivalent of "thank you sir may I have another"? As far as I was concerned, driving wise, it beat the pants off that Civic and I had to have it.
Don't remember what the asking price was but the total price with taxes and poo poo came out to $10,005.00 even.

One problem was that even with the BP engine the aftermarket was literally non-existant for that generation of Protege. But maybe that saved me from doing things I might regret later.

It was my first car and man did I ever have some fuckin dope rear end times in that thing. Brought it to college with me and did lots of shithead college kid poo poo in it. Fit 6 large adults in it in a Toronto parking garage to hotbox the poo poo out of it before a Crosby Stills Nash and Young concert. Same parking garage a few years later for a Beastie Boys concert. Protege club cruises/meets. Took it north to go dog sledding, road trips to fuckin everywhere and nowhere. The beach, drag strip at Cayuga the races at Mosport, off roading, holy gently caress I miss that thing.

I bought a Mazdaspeed Protege from a CarMax with the money left over after a pickup truck totalled my Mazda 3. Jesus gently caress that thing was amazing. Irresponsibility big turbo from the factory and an absolutely ridiculous Kenwood stereo with a faceplate that flips around every time you turn it on. I sold it after I bought my Jeep, but if I found another in good condition I'd probably jump on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I was also kinda thinking that too. That they still had a box and associated stuff. Are new jeeps still prone to the death wobble or just the older ones?

More so. There are tons of TSBs for the steering. wobble, vibration, wandering.

The TSB for the aluminum steering box specifically says it won't correct death wobble or vibration, only wandering or a pull left/right.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

El Diablo Bob O posted:

I've seen things that make a man's mind break down.

I figure they were in the process of tearing it apart, but :yikeseroo:

Edit: "Customer declined all repairs" I'm sure.

Whenever I see photos like these, I always wonder why flatdecks aren't more popular over there, either nice steel or alloy, but then I guess if the rest of the truck is still rotting away then what's the point. Still, you can simply take it with you to the next truck too.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Arson Daily posted:

A bag of rice? pfff

Must be near College Station, Texas.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Number_6 posted:

Must be near College Station, Texas.

gallup, new mexico actually. never did rope that sheep.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I remember a local dealer that did a side of beef with car purchase.

Of course, nothing is free but that promo would probably legit generate some activity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A couple dealerships in Canada were giving away a Micra if you bought a Titan.

Which would be handy because at least you could drive the Micra while still paying on the note for the non-running Titan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Whenever I see photos like these, I always wonder why flatdecks aren't more popular over there, either nice steel or alloy, but then I guess if the rest of the truck is still rotting away then what's the point. Still, you can simply take it with you to the next truck too.

It's because only 1% of trucks like these are actually used for work stuff so there's no market for a tradie tray truck or a van.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Door Frame posted:

If you read my car history you’d understand it’s the reverse.

the joke did land. I got a chuckle

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's because only 1% of trucks like these are actually used for work stuff so there's no market for a tradie tray truck or a van.

that’s not what all the YouTube comments say, in fact they get very mad if you say that

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Darchangel posted:

And here I though Toyota was backing of from the Cylon grille thing.

Edit:
Ah, it's an aftermarket thing:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806231525243.html

Toyota has many vans.

Edit: maybe I should read all the posts first

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Forget the deck... get an all-flat Ford truck.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Imagine the burnouts you could do if you kept that chassis bare.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I remember a local dealer that did a side of beef with car purchase.

Of course, nothing is free but that promo would probably legit generate some activity.

It was tires around here. RIP Les.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQQz2G_q7I

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Didn’t Ford give out like BBQs cause Kingsford had a buncha charcoal ?

Ahh, Kingsford was his cousin in law, used scrap wood from the model T to make the briquettes in a factory designed by Edison

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_(charcoal)

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 1, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ford was disappointed that their new vehicles did not burn as hot as the Pinto so that sparked a new promotion.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The Door Frame posted:

God drat.

CMD598 posted:

Toyota has many vans.

Edit: maybe I should read all the posts first

Nah, it's cool - you supplied a picture.

edit: and I like that van, massive grille aside.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

wesleywillis posted:

Imagine the burnouts you could do if you kept that chassis bare.

Literally my first thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well yeah, still tho, for those that do use 'em.

Zero One posted:

Forget the deck... get an all-flat Ford truck.

Everyone's always complaining how modern trucks are too nice, and they just want a basic truck with no features. Here you go!

Darchangel posted:

God drat.

Nah, it's cool - you supplied a picture.

edit: and I like that van, massive grille aside.

You don't have to see the grille from the inside.