Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Gege should have taken another week off just for their health. As for the chapter So even after having his literal soul connection to his body weakened Sukuna is still only operating at a fraction of his full potential? gently caress that noise just end this fight already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is embarrassing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: it was a good chapter until the very last page and goddamn that is impressive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, that is an all-timer of a "sucks all the air out of the room" final panel for what was otherwise a cool chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well we know he is not going all out, cause he still has stuff he hasn't used yet.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Good chapter, don't really see the issue with the final page, we all already knew that Sukuna still has cards to play. "Open" is one of the bigger questions marks remaining after all. And we can certainly question how much Uraume actually knows of what transpired in the Sukuna fight and especially within the domain expansion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Brought To You By posted:

Gege should have taken another week off just for their health. As for the chapter So even after having his literal soul connection to his body weakened Sukuna is still only operating at a fraction of his full potential? gently caress that noise just end this fight already

Damage is damage. Uraume's implication is that Sukuna is fundamentally a "fever-based" fighter, so thinking they've got it in the bag because it looks like they're successfully wearing him down is gravely underestimating him - rather, the fact that Sukuna is still fighting conservatively despite them throwing everything they've got only shows they'll hit their limits before he starts pushing his.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

feel very bad for gege, who just from reading this is clearly not doing okay in terms of workflow whether for physical health or burnout reasons, but seems loathe to take a break for understandable reasons

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 1, 2024

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Damage is damage. Uraume's implication is that Sukuna is fundamentally a "fever-based" fighter, so thinking they've got it in the bag because it looks like they're successfully wearing him down is gravely underestimating him - rather, the fact that Sukuna is still fighting conservatively despite them throwing everything they've got only shows they'll hit their limits before he starts pushing his.

This late into the multi-stage last fight. Knowing that Sukuna still has techniques he hasn't used and maybe he gets back his confiscated weapon? Nah, it's not damage it's wasting time on a guy that isn't interesting enough to warrant this but is still holding back because he's so much better than everyone else it's embarrassing. This is as I often cite, the problem with characters like Hao Asakura. But at this stage Hao is vastly more engaging

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sukuna rocks, tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just burned out on seeing cool scenes effectively get completely nosold. Going "All the incredibly hard work and perfectly played plans actually are irrelevant because Sukuna is just too bored to really fight straight" kind of sucks. Maybe the translation is off and they just mean 'he has a trump card' and not "Eh, you guys are too lame for him to really care about."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Valentin posted:

feel very bad for gege, who just from reading this is clearly not doing okay in terms of workflow whether for physical health or burnout reasons, but seems loathe to take a break for understandable reasons

Yeah, those first few pages were ROUGH

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just burned out on seeing cool scenes effectively get completely nosold. Going "All the incredibly hard work and perfectly played plans actually are irrelevant because Sukuna is just too bored to really fight straight" kind of sucks. Maybe the translation is off and they just mean 'he has a trump card' and not "Eh, you guys are too lame for him to really care about."

Gotta agree

It is pretty rough to keep up any sort of drama where the bad guy gets stabbed through the heart with a weapon that drastically negates his healing factor, but the chapter ends with his minion going 'Pfft, he isn't even trying. You guys are all too weak for him to put in the effort.'

I really hope that is a mistranslation, because that is cringe.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

they're gonna beat Sukuna by boring but solid fundamentals and teamwork, which he recognizes as effective but an incredibly dull way to play, so he kills himself. Roll credits

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

If this were presented as sukuna excelling in a "cornering a wild animal" situation this would all read much cooler than "I haven't even used my final form..."

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah I think tonally it would have hit better as "sukuna's cursed energy is ebbing to more normal levels, but you'll find he becomes even more dangerous when pressed, and also combat isn't a cursed energy measuring contest and he has vastly more experience in fights than anyone here" rather than "no he's actually still got a TON you guys are just LAME"

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Very funny this thread has spent months going "When is sukuna gonna uses his powers we've only seen part of?" And then doom posts about how bad it is when a character says "Oh he's got some more tricks left up his sleeves".

Like the actual line is just "He hasn't gone all out yet" not that he's got some secret reserve of cursed energy like some of you are trying to twist this. It's just what we've already known, he's still got some tricks to pull.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Very funny this thread has spent months going "When is sukuna gonna uses his powers we've only seen part of?" And then doom posts about how bad it is when a character says "Oh he's got some more tricks left up his sleeves".

Like the actual line is just "He hasn't gone all out yet" not that he's got some secret reserve of cursed energy like some of you are trying to twist this. It's just what we've already known, he's still got some tricks to pull.

that's the closing line. this is the exchange being discussed and it is extremely tediously straightforward:

Hakari: Sukuna's cursed energy is taking a real nosedive.
Uraume: You know not the caprices of Sukuna. If his interest in his opponent is tenuous, so too will be the waves of cursed energy.

i know nothing makes you happier than riding into a thread to do this routine but take your own advice and read the actual lines

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's bizarre to me how much people are melting down about this when even the cast has called attention to the fact that Sukuna has not yet used Open or some of his other weird abilities.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Maki rules and is super cool

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
He’s already done so much damage and supposedly still hasn’t gone all out. That combined with the way he’s drawn in that final panel, like… he’s an actual monster there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'm sure when Sukuna recovers enough to get one more DE off before he goes down for good, multiple people will whine about how it completely invalidated Gojo's fight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

It's bizarre to me how much people are melting down about this when even the cast has called attention to the fact that Sukuna has not yet used Open or some of his other weird abilities.

Sukuna having techniques in his pocket is one thing. Sukuna having reserves of Cursed Energy he hasn't expended purely because after Gojo he hasn't been interested in other opponents. Even though his literal soul is being targeted and he's been having to use reverse cursed technique constantly which we know has high energy consumption, that is just a different kind of disheartening.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Itd be really funny if they never push Sukuna to his limit and he dies of boredom

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest, I thought we knew all this already?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah she's having a blast and it rules

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll be honest, I thought we knew all this already?

I think this is also kinda the issue. Like we get all of this, it's kind of annoying to be drip-fed the fight (unless it pays off by sticking the landing in an amazing, unexpected way I guess).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
yeah, like, at no point has sukuna given any indication that he's sweating these goons. there's been a pretty good balance of showing how their efforts are chipping away at this unkillable god and sukuna just clowning on them, i don't think it's shocked for uraume to say he's still holding back.

though i hope this doesn't end with maki being immolated

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This threads reaction has been surprisingly positive the past few chapters, I’m glad we’ve returned to the constant disappointment.

Next chapter Sukuna is going to have to unleash the open technique. Also if he explains the technique, it means he thinks he’s losing.

Also also, maki being compared to Mahoraga is nuts

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the rundown is that in 250 we hear sukuna's thoughts directly and he says that post-gojo he has only about as much CE in reserve as yuji, and also that every time yuji hits him it disrupts his CE output. this comes in the middle of yuji and yuta doing a pretty good job doing their best to hit him with everything they've got, and since then he took a cleave and jacob's ladder to the face, some number of soul-disrupting punches, and a stab to the heart from the magic "unblockable soul damage" super special cursed katana.

in this chapter, hakari echoes the viewing audience: hey, sukuna's CE is decreased after fighting gojo and his output is down, his cleaves and dismantles seem weaker than against gojo or kashimo, he has an open heart wound, probably he's losing! uraume very explicitly and directly says "no lol he's actually just not really trying yet and you should take his cursed energy output as a reflection of his interest and not how much gas he has left," which sukuna echoes and the framing and cliffhanger appear to confirm.

it's clearly intended as a fight beat showing our heroes unexpectedly in peril after what felt like a successful offensive and a surprise attack the narration explicitly called out as an unexpectedly sloppy mistake on sukuna's end. it is supposed to read as a reversal of what is already known. it should be surprising and impressive that he's still walking around with a giant hole in his heart! the fact that it's possible to be like "this just seems like what we already knew" is part of what's landing wrong about it. i'd be most impressed tbh if this fell as flat as every other cliffhanger in the fight to date but somehow i don't see that happening.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 1, 2024

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also also, maki being compared to Mahoraga is nuts

yea he oughta be comparing mahoraga to her

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/moschinodorito/status/1763680842121937213?t=fEXhbhgNIRO7pdcioNiVkQ&s=19

we need her to beat sukuna

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Valentin posted:

the rundown is that in 250 we hear sukuna's thoughts directly and he says that post-gojo he has only about as much CE in reserve as yuji, and also that every time yuji hits him it disrupts his CE output.
No he thinks he has about as much as Yuta. Yuji is just Brat, while Yuta is Cursed/Possessed Brat. Which means he has lost more than half his total.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

that is pretty much irrelevant to the point being made but yes it is a different arbitrarily high number

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well if he had amounts like Yuji he would be at the end of his rope, cause Yuji’s CE is average at best.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

underrated part of this chapter is hakari now being shirtless probably due to his body getting destroyed so much

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is the important takeaway here

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maki Win'in

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I enjoyed Uraume roasting Hakari and him not getting it. Very relatable.

edit: spoiler tag added

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
So considering Sukuna wasn’t even giving it his all yet, how do people here predict he will be defeated?