Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean yeah it is made so it can also be played on its own but. if you're talking with someone about ff7 you can't just refer to the remake interchangeably it is a different game

that's fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

Because its fine as its own game. :shrug:

that's the thing though. it's its own game, not ff7. you can't tell someone who's stating they never played ff7 to wait and pick up the remake on sale like it's ff7 and not, a companion game to ff7

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

unless youre terrified of psx graphics, under no circumstances should you play 7r before 7

i am and will

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just dont think original FF7 is that good and FF7R is a perfectly fine FF game. I dont see the problem with recommending it to someone who has never played either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

7r is a great addition to the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, alongside crisis core and advent children

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i like the story and themes of final fantasy 7 but i will never in my life take the time to complete that video game. the action rpgs on the other hand, maybe

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's a modern square game, alright.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can play 7R without playing 7 but you can't really play 7R instead of playing 7.

They're just different games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff7 is a good game. half of why remake is good is because it's applying alternative takes on cool parts of ff7. if you want to experience ff7's story the original game is the only one that actually tells it and it does it with a much more brisk pace. i wouldn't hold it against anyone to prefer one over the other but i don't think they're even comparable because one opens with an entire game of plot ghosts trying to disrupt it from being the same as the other one, remake's core point so far is that it's not ff7

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I’m pretty happy with how they handled FF7R and it doesn’t just poo poo on the original. It still all happened, FF7R is just it’s own thing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ff7 is fine bros and sis?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF7 is like 28-30 hours if you can understand gameplay mechanics better than the children that bought it at launch in 96. It's pretty breezy and well paced and worth your time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

You mean 99hours 59min right

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GateOfD posted:

It's the only console game i ever maxed out the timer for. Mainly because i had to create at least one copy of the really good materia

And the Versus strategy guide (with included poster!) was the poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah ff7 isn't really that long and if you just want "da experience" you can guide it to make it real short.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm gonna read Marinefork in the popular comic book show one piece

I've heard this is the best arc so I'm pretty hyped!

fake edit: hey Fluff can you center my av? I forgot to. thanks in advance even if you don't do it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i sat on the couch as someone next to me played through ff7. it was rad and i have no need to complete it myself, now

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FF7 is so overrated it has become underrated, has aged horribly yet still seems ahead of its time. Anyone diving into Final Fantasy needs to give it a playthrough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This game are cool.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i like when Cloud motorcycle

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

symbolic posted:

i like when Cloud motorcycle

I would date cloud strife

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hes a messy bitch

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
He's no Roche.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Meowywitch posted:

ff7 is fine bros and sis?

feels strange to see you without a red-haired avatar

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Meowywitch posted:

you have at least four people in story you would have to fight through first

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Meowywitch posted:

i only date mentally healthy and employed men

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GateOfD posted:

Nah it's a pretty brisk game, all things told. If you sit down and play it and don't bumble around too much all the games before 10 are pretty fast little adventures, especially for big rpgs like they are.

I think even side content in 7 is pretty fast. It takes like 3 hours to breed a golden chocobo if you know where to grab good starter guys. it's 12 combined total wins IIRC at racing which is the largest time sink of it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Megamissen posted:

feels strange to see you without a red-haired avatar

I could dye yamatos hair red

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

i only date mentally healthy and employed men
you really going to exclude me like this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah it's a pretty brisk game, all things told. If you sit down and play it and don't bumble around too much all the games before 10 are pretty fast little adventures, especially for big rpgs like they are.

I think even side content in 7 is pretty fast. It takes like 3 hours to breed a golden chocobo if you know where to grab good starter guys. it's 12 combined total wins IIRC at racing which is the largest time sink of it.

The roller coaster is CHEATING loving BULLSHIT though :argh:

I never did get Aerith's umbrella weapon, and it still bugs me, twenty-seven years later :negative:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

homeless snail posted:

you really going to exclude me like this

you were already out of the running for liking vtubers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*pointing* oh, this ring? no im not married, i'm just a fan of uruha rushia

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

drat I bet Marineford was the poo poo animated, well good night (I've read way too much)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Meowywitch posted:

drat I bet Marineford was the poo poo animated, well good night (I've read way too much)

It's one of the worst animated arcs in the entirety of the one piece anime (Dressrosa is worse though). And for sure the most stretched out one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Meowywitch posted:

you couldn't possibly be more wrong lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
marineford was the arc that made me swear off the anime forever for loving up one of my favorite arcs, after giving it like, 3 attempts to return to it over the years. I'm pretty sure someone made a supercut of every time luffy was screaming AAAAAAAAAAACE and it wound up being like 17 minutes long

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Girl who refuses to watch One Pace voice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even one paced marineford isnt great, the animation quality also went down the tube around there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

even one paced marineford isnt great, the animation quality also went down the tube around there

dressrosa too, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

they do try but there's only so much you can do when you're trying to maintain episode counts. the filler is much shorter but it still exists