Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
watching the first ep of Shogun. too early to know if I like the story but the wardrobe, sets, and lighting are all phenomenal. it looks way too expensive to get another season unless it's killing it on the charts. the main white dude sucks at acting so far. Kaneda is the man, obviously, I hope he gets out of this alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh, it's a miniseries. well, good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also I submit for group discussion that Edgar Wright is the only director to have captured the frenetic anime energy in live action, and he probably could have made the rest of his career off of just doing adaptions Scott Pilgrim style but rightfully realized that's poison for the soul and tried to be an auteur instead

Guns Akimbo is pretty close too, I guess

Whats the last good Wright movie after the Baby car movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Whats the last good Wright movie after the Baby car movie

He did a herbie remake and no one told me!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

holy poo poo the mayor of Gotham rules in this show

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

house harkonnen movie was good, giedi prime was really cool

also some other stuff happened I guess

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

i cant believe how hard that song still goes in 2024

it's legit bars whoever made it knows how to rap

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FirstnameLastname posted:

it's legit bars whoever made it knows how to rap

i must sadly announce that he is now soy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

why the hell is every white guy from san francisco exactly the same

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

thats portland

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is he still a goon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

is he still a goon

You can take the goon out the forums
But you can't take the forums out the goon

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

edit: knew

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

rejection of surface level conservative-coded social norms to pretend that they're woke landlords not like their Republican landlord dads

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

thats portland

all these guys moved to portland from san francisco and colonized it. not even kidding i lived in pdx during the colonization years

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the pdx i grew up in wasnt portlandia it was a small dirty relatively unknown city with a basketball team and a series of important river ports and a thriving art and music scene (the area code before 8675309 is 503)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also the guy they got to play feyd-ruatha does a loving amazing stellan skarsgard impression, it's uncanny

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

ok now that works.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

ok now that works.

told you

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Al! posted:

I thought this was Sean Bonnette from AJJ

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

all these guys moved to portland from san francisco and colonized it. not even kidding i lived in pdx during the colonization years

they did it to seattle too exact same way

i miss 90s working class seattle so much i was just a kid but it still feels more familiar and real than this garbage

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

i miss 90s working class seattle so much i was just a kid but it still feels more familiar and real than this garbage

Yep, Frasier was there, keeping everyone real.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they did it to seattle too exact same way

same for where i grew up. more than nostalgia; it's been make to suck rear end neoliberally, which i assume is the case in Seattle and Portland too?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
about to watch denis villeneuve's dune: part 2 :mrgw:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

tbf one guy i knew from portland who moved to sf in the mid 2000s looked like that lol

imo it's more doughy white middle-upper class computer touchers from the midwest and other nepo east coast failsons . san francisco also wasn't like that in the 90s either. i think it was a coastal colonization writ large, the first wave getting displaced by the second wave of even richer computer guys to seattle/pdx

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dr_rat posted:

Yep, Frasier was there, keeping everyone real.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

blame tech VCs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

tbf one guy i knew from portland who moved to sf in the mid 2000s looked like that lol

imo it's more doughy white middle-upper class computer touchers from the midwest and other nepo east coast failsons . san francisco also wasn't like that in the 90s either. i think it was a coastal colonization writ large, the first wave getting displaced by the second wave of even richer computer guys to seattle/pdx

yeah my great great great great grandfather was probably some oregon trail colonizer so i cant talk

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al! posted:

the pdx i grew up in wasnt portlandia it was a small dirty relatively unknown city with a basketball team and a series of important river ports and a thriving art and music scene (the area code before 8675309 is 503)

A few years back I saw a cover band playing at some Portland bar and they started doing a cover of 867-5309 and Tommy Tu-tone was chilling at a table and got up and did the vocals lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

yeah my great great great great grandfather was probably some oregon trail colonizer so i cant talk
well pretty much 98% of americans are colonizers or descendents, so like, yeah can't throw stones

but i still think you can lament all the doughy white suburbanite transplants muckign things up for $300k tc touching computers or w/e ruining cities that were once better; i mean ultimately it's just capitalism and rentseeking and not their fault but its an easy target to dislike. anyways i think we might be seeing the start of the cycle repeating as money leaves again. either that or climate change kills us all before that happens.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the deal with chicken nugget, is this an adaptation or what?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

one time my sister in law was upset because she found out that her friend had gotten a batman tattoo as her first tattoo which on its own didnt sound terrible but then my sister in law went on to explain that theyd been discussing and designing how her first tattoo was going to be a memorial to her dead brother

Was her brother shot in an alley by a mugger

uber_stoat posted:

you can't just cast a guy cuz his name is vaguely similar to the original actor's. Liam, you are no Leslie.

The real funny part is that Liam is probably legit one of the best choices for an actor who's at more or less the same stage as Leslie was

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Al! posted:

i cant believe how hard that song still goes in 2024

reread the pirate rap thread if u want to smile

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Anything that gives him an exit ramp from endless Taken remakes is a good thing, honestly.

He should be doing Banshees of Inisherin calibre work

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
dune good

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

austin butler is a really good actor

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The real funny part is that Liam is probably legit one of the best choices for an actor who's at more or less the same stage as Leslie was

Yeah, Leslie Nielsen typified the handsome authoritative man who would come into a scene in a 50s movie and deliver lengthy exposition about the plot in a monotone

Liam Neeson is the king of rugged and weary action men who speak in menacing gravely rumbles while doing ultra violence in fast cut style

I really don't know if the writers will capture it well, but there is an opportunity to parody the geezer teaser or dark gritty action genre in the same way disaster and police movies were before

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Bro Dad posted:

austin butler is a really good actor

yep. i was on board from the moment he frenched his uncle.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Not that it matters much but Neeson is 10 years older than Neilsen was in the first Naked Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i think Neeson could do deadpan well, and Akiva Schaffer is like one of the only filmmakers to make a decent spoof film in the 21st century. itll probably be mediocre