Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Is that an isekai?

for a goon it definitely is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Finding a single girlfriend is something that could only happen to most goons in a fantasy world, so yeah, I'd say that qualifies as an isekai.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Is that an isekai?

hes transported from the world of middle school to high school

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

These all seem awful, who has more of the ones about monkeys killing people and cool stuff like that

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bravern
How could they do this to Lewis Smith

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hell, same

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder whether this shot or the Akira slide have been referenced more often. They're both absolutely everywhere and always get a sensible chuckle out of me

The AnJ one always gets a chuckle from me but the slide always has me like :hellyeah: cause it's cool

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Gripweed posted:

Ranma 1/2

sis showed me this when i was like, 12

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kitfox88 posted:

The AnJ one always gets a chuckle from me but the slide always has me like :hellyeah: cause it's cool

Yeah, that. And the more improbable the vehicle the better

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm thinking about the Isekai called The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

The two different reviewers who put that on their year-end list swore up and down that each of the girlfriends was a multidimensional character. I do like wholesome romance...

Yeah I've heard good things even from people who otherwise don't really care for harem shows. Helps that apparently the male lead is pretty charming unlike most harem shows where it's a weird loser who inexplicably has dozens of women lusting after him. Might check it out at some point

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm thinking about the Isekai called The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You

The two different reviewers who put that on their year-end list swore up and down that each of the girlfriends was a multidimensional character. I do like wholesome romance...

100 Girlfriends is...... complicated. It does have some ick elements that make it hard to recommend, although the majority of goons who read the manga seem to love it and I think it's won awards.

I haven't watched the anime and I've only read a handful of the later chapters of the manga, so I can't really give a firm assessment of it beyond that. The humor in the parts I have read punches above its weight class, though.

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I've heard good things even from people who otherwise don't really care for harem shows. Helps that apparently the male lead is pretty charming unlike most harem shows where it's a weird loser who inexplicably has dozens of women lusting after him. Might check it out at some point

The male lead is a superhumanly perfect boyfriend to every single girl at the same time. He is the Goku of perfect boyfriends.

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Mar 2, 2024

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

The male lead is a superhumanly perfect boyfriend to every single girl at the same time. He is the Goku of perfect boyfriends.

Alright, well, you’ve sold me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how many girlfriends before the author just starts reusing ideas and the protag goes months without once talking to over half his girlfriends

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Augus posted:

how many girlfriends before the author just starts reusing ideas and the protag goes months without once talking to over half his girlfriends

By all reports and reviews.... It hasnt happened yet and the anime is up to the first dozen or so. Each waifu has been fully realized so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the girlfriends spend a lot of time hanging out together, engaging in goofy group activities. while the boyfriend is usually still around he's rarely the focus.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
99 poly girlfriends with a token man to pretend to be heterosexual with

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KirbyKhan posted:

By all reports and reviews.... It hasnt happened yet and the anime is up to the first dozen or so. Each waifu has been fully realized so far.

okay but what's gonna happen when you're 80+ girlfriends deep

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Grimgar was basically about a group of isekai teens who find out killing even a single goblin is a lot of hard traumatizing work that doesn’t really pay enough to cover equipment maintenance costs. Lots of time spent doing laundry by hand with their rapidly disintegrating sole set of clothes that they have no money to replace. They live in an uninsulated barn with no plumbing sleeping on straw. Maybe things change in the LN but the whole show is basically about them being trapped in a failure spiral.

By like the fifth or sixth book they're more-or-less established as a party and generally above average. I forget if the second party member death occurs during the anime or not (I didn't actually watch most of the anime, just read some of the books some years back).

The obnoxious Dark Knight guy is somewhat compelling as "a guy who is hosed up" and basically acts out inappropriately and drives people away for reasons that are likely tied to his past Earth life in some way. There's some plot elements that revolve around the characters having lost memories of their Earth lives, like this one thing where the protagonist recognizes some girl in another party who was his best friend in his past life, but he remembers no details. IIRC I think she dies or something without him ever figuring out their connection lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

the anime ends with them being capable of taking down a whole town full of goblins. Grimgar is really interesting for how seriously it takes the whole premise, but it has a plodding pace that focuses on the party’s self improvement and there’s nothing to really hook an audience’s interest like the plot hook of rescuing Falin in Dungeon Meshi. it’s kind of just a story about jobbers with dimensional amnesia learning how to become effective pest control.

grimgar is more interested in capturing the weight and terror of combat or the relief of a warm meal and a hot bath after being overworked and sweaty from fighting critters all day, than it is in telling a story. it never quite becomes a whole being greater than the sum of its parts, but the parts are really well done. it’s a great contrast for how cheap and poorly thought out other isekai is by comparison.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the anime ends with them being capable of taking down a whole town full of goblins. Grimgar is really interesting for how seriously it takes the whole premise, but it has a plodding pace that focuses on the party’s self improvement and there’s nothing to really hook an audience’s interest like the plot hook of rescuing Falin in Dungeon Meshi. it’s kind of just a story about jobbers with dimensional amnesia learning how to become effective pest control.

grimgar is more interested in capturing the weight and terror of combat or the relief of a warm meal and a hot bath after being overworked and sweaty from fighting critters all day, than it is in telling a story. it never quite becomes a whole being greater than the sum of its parts, but the parts are really well done. it’s a great contrast for how cheap and poorly thought out other isekai is by comparison.

Yeah. I checked out some of the later books and the pace keeps being plodding but also it's more a standard isekai thing by this point so I dropped it. Really liked the ainme though

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

genericnick posted:

Yeah. I checked out some of the later books and the pace keeps being plodding but also it's more a standard isekai thing by this point so I dropped it. Really liked the ainme though

The anime does the one thing absolutely right which it needed to do, and it's having superbly directed action sequences.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

net work error posted:

Bravern
How could they do this to Lewis Smith

Theres something sinister about Bravern

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ru-EE-zu Su-MI-su

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

gundam wing was an isekai

the five gundam pilots each match common mmo archetypes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Theres something sinister about Bravern

What is he planning....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rudeboy Detective posted:

gundam wing was an isekai

the five gundam pilots each match common mmo archetypes

also they're all from space

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stairmaster posted:

also they're all from space

they literally go to a different world

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I'm giving Mashle a shot since the 2nd OP is blowing everyone's minds right now and it made me pay attention to it. Is the whole thing just the same joke over and over? I'm 3 episodes in and the whole thing just strikes me as "What if One Punch Man was boring?"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Sorta related to that, I've been watching My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered and it's...kinda fun? The premise is essentially an isekai where the protagonist's whole class gets given special abilities and there's sort of a behind the scenes death game thing going on. The protagonist actually already had the power to instantly kill anyone, including doing it reflexively if someone directs a killing intent at him, and so he's sort of outside of the framework of the system. What sets it apart is that it's not really a power fantasy, it's more like a really dark comedy where the heroine is dragging around this veritable force of nature while an endless train of scumbags show up to talk about how badass they are and then unceremoniously drop dead on the spot. The whole thing feels like a parody but I can't even put my finger on what it's a parody of. It's sort of one note but the setting is full of so many absolute dipshits that it never really wears out its welcome. I wanna clarify that it's not really a good show at all, but it's stupid and funny in a way that's still entertaining if trashy so if that's up your alley then turn your brain off and check it out

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Retromancer posted:

I'm giving Mashle a shot since the 2nd OP is blowing everyone's minds right now and it made me pay attention to it. Is the whole thing just the same joke over and over? I'm 3 episodes in and the whole thing just strikes me as "What if One Punch Man was boring?"

The general joke of 'Mash is literally recreating physics defying magical events with just raw fitness' is a core theme of the entire work, yeah, so if you stop laughing at the absurdity you'll stop having fun with it real fast. :shrug:

Kit Walker posted:

Sorta related to that, I've been watching My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered and it's...kinda fun? The premise is essentially an isekai where the protagonist's whole class gets given special abilities and there's sort of a behind the scenes death game thing going on. The protagonist actually already had the power to instantly kill anyone, including doing it reflexively if someone directs a killing intent at him, and so he's sort of outside of the framework of the system. What sets it apart is that it's not really a power fantasy, it's more like a really dark comedy where the heroine is dragging around this veritable force of nature while an endless train of scumbags show up to talk about how badass they are and then unceremoniously drop dead on the spot. The whole thing feels like a parody but I can't even put my finger on what it's a parody of. It's sort of one note but the setting is full of so many absolute dipshits that it never really wears out its welcome. I wanna clarify that it's not really a good show at all, but it's stupid and funny in a way that's still entertaining if trashy so if that's up your alley then turn your brain off and check it out

I really enjoy the manga of it but the anime couldn't even hold me through the first episode for some reason.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Retromancer posted:

One Punch Potter

I don't mind it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I really enjoy the manga of it but the anime couldn't even hold me through the first episode for some reason.

Yeah the production quality is fairly average. Which is fine because it's not really a show that has anything flashy happen in it. It's a mid-tier show with a mid-tier production behind it and it'll be hit or miss for that reason

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i liked first season of mashle enough, but imo 2nd season is more of the same in a not good way. the jokes played out for me i guess

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Retromancer posted:

I gave up on Mashle after a few episodes. It makes the mistake a lot of anime comedies do, which is to think coming up with an amusing premise ("What if Saitama had to use being buff to fake his way through Hogwarts?") is a substitute for having actual jokes. It's a pretty bad case of that too, I don't really see what anyone got out of it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Agnostalgia posted:

I gave up on Mashle after a few episodes. It makes the mistake a lot of anime comedies do, which is to think coming up with an amusing premise ("What if Saitama had to use being buff to fake his way through Hogwarts?") is a substitute for having actual jokes. It's a pretty bad case of that too, I don't really see what anyone got out of it.

i think its for kids

this is neither a defense nor a criticism of it

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

i think its for kids

this is neither a defense nor a criticism of it

I mean, plenty of kids cartoons have actual jokes. Its not like Spongebob Squarepants was 200 episodes of "haha that sponge is wearing pants"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“Superman is bored because he’s too OP” was a good joke that even One Punch Man could only wring a single season out of before it got stale. I don’t know why anyone would want to watch “The same joke but without the novelty and with less budget.” Yet here we are with multiple ones including OPM itself. Like self-aware Isekai “parodies” the joke is metastasizing into a sub genre.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

OPM gets better the less it tries to be a comedy. Exploring the extremely hosed up hero society and the freaks that inhabit it is the best part of the original webcomic.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OPM and Mashle are about how it's cool to be jacked

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

My kid loves Mascle and I love when Mascle sometimes suplexes wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

There should be more buff wizards in fiction. You only need to work out like 3-4 hours a weeks to get pretty ripped if you're consistent about it. That's plenty of time left to ponder orbs and study spellbooks