Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People genuinely do not understand how technically complex farce is.

I just finished reading Piccadilly Jim and I cannot begin to imagine how many notecards Wodehouse must have got through getting the plot in order.

On the subject of cosy books recommended in this thread, I read Light From Uncommon Stars. In theory it ticks a lot of boxes I like, but somehow it didn't quite land for me and I can't put my finger on why. My best guess is that, after finishing Exordia beforehand, I was slightly thrown by the way that when certain facts were revealed (eg. the discovery that the donut shop owners were aliens), they were just accepted, rather than delving into the meaning or implications of this for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GhastlyBizness posted:

I only read Lyonesse but Jack Vance seemed implacably hostile to his characters in that. Extremely fun and arch writing style, good story in itself, but felt like there was a gleefully nasty streak running through it.

Yep, that's Vance. He's real good and real nasty.

The Moon Moth is one of the best Science Fiction stories ever and it's just a guy getting clowned on for not understanding a culture.

Vance also did a couple of Wodehousian novels at the end of his life, but they're not really elaborate farces. Pretty strictly only for those who already way on board with Vance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have been binge reading Pratchett. He is immensely comforting because he believes in decency, he knows there's not enough of it, but he demands more. Auden's self-chosen epitaph was "he had a lovers' quarrel with the world" and that is absolutely Pratchett. Neil Gaiman said Pratchett was the angriest man he knew, and I believe it. The theme of his books is 'do better, dammit.'

For me, that's the deepness of Pratchett. He is hilarious. He also knows that it is a constant battle to be decent in a world that is not, and he praises the people who take up that battle. See Granny Weatherwax on treating people as things.

Totally agree on Pratchett. The closest to that I've found, though it's outside genre, is Raymond Chandler. Obviously products of their time (sexist, homophobic, racist though not in the worst degrees I've ever seen) but still about a world that makes it hard to be decent, and a man trying his best to be decent anyway.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

RDM posted:

Page 100: I have been betrayed in a shocking twist by my closest confidant, Treason McLiar.

Page 150: I have been betrayed in a shocking twist by my closest confidant, Backstab Hardchest.

Page 200: I have been betrayed in a shocking twist by my closest confidant, Quisling vanDerTheif.

Lmao, yeah that seems to be essentially how it's going. I just try to frame it like all the golds are just like that, willing to gently caress anyone over to get ahead or get some advantage.

theysayheygreg posted:

Yep, a melodramatic guilty pleasure is exactly how I'd describe them. They're a fun romp in a neat if a little over the top setting. Pierce Brown is still a very young author all things considered, and I think the first trilogy definitely reads like an author in their twenties writing it. There's so many twists, double crosses, and reverse double crosses (triple crosses?) some of which strain fourth wall considerably, but if you can turn your brain down and go "hell yeah IRON RAIN and THE SICKLE!!!" they're a good time.

edit:

:hai:

I've been pruning the last couple of weeks, so it has been a nice distraction because it just keeps flowing. Mindless entertainment has been good for a tedious, repetitive task

Isolationist posted:

That narrator absolutely makes that series, he chews scenery left right and center - I listened through to... Book four or five years ago and can STILL hear "PAX AU TELEMANUS".

Haha yeah the "PAX AU TELEMANUS" was great. I remember laughing out loud one of the times I heard the narrator saying it during a battle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The sheer number of moving parts it takes to assemble a good farce is incredibly impressive. I can't imagine keeping it all straight while you're writing one, even more so than other genres.

(farce lovers may like Oyvind Thorsby's webcomics, so long as they can stand "art made in MSPaint and :biotruths: plot elements" - I am genuinely recommending them, but with those caveats. Seems like there's always another goon that hasn't heard of them)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My current "what if" project is a farce with a 40k rogue trader as the backdrop and yeah this poo poo is tough

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Blamestorm posted:

I’m a bit sceptical of the cozy fantasy/sci fi label, the two common examples of which that get cited are the Becky Chambers books and the Goblin Emperor, probably because I don’t think either are that good. (Obvious caveats, like what you like, personal opinion only etc)

When I try and understand what people are getting at in terms of wanting comfortable, reassuring books that know they will enjoy, I absolutely get that and have fifty gazillion on my shelves that work for me that way (as others have said, it’s a bit up to the reader) - for me it’s PG Wodehouse, Rex Stout, and similar authors who play with language and humour. In sci-fi/fantasy, it’s Terry Pratchett, Roger Zelazny, Douglas Adams…especially a book like Night in the Lonesome October is a perfect example for me. They are relaxing and entertaining, well written and thoughtful (mostly).

I guess I am a bit suspicious that what people really mean when they talk about these more specific subgenre cozy fantasy is stuff without real tension or conflict - not just a tone or vibe, but actually very little plot. I haven’t read any of the LitRPG stuff but I am guessing this is similar. My MAIN beef is I wonder if whatever people want out of these books, they may not get it out of say PG Wodehouse or Terry Pratchett but just haven’t either been exposed to it or it’s just too alien to them in terms of their existing reading experience (eg they want to stick with genre). Because I feel like these other books are kind of empty calories, they just keep going without much happening or much artistic merit. (For Wodehouse it’s his skill with language and humour)

The closest example to my own weak spot here is LE Modesitt who I think can write some good stuff but also hundreds of repetitive pages in between it on every mornings breakfast, commute, and fantasy forex movements in the newspaper. Cozy isn’t the term for his books but I feel like there is something similar going on in terms of pages of detail without purpose, characterisation or momentum.

Essentially though whenever I hear a book described as cozy fantasy my initial sceptical reaction is it’s a bad book probably with nothing to say, no interesting characters and no plot, because all of those things require some kind of conflict in a narrative setting and conflict is the heart of a good story.

It’s not actually a sub-genre like cozy mystery is, it’s just a vibe. It flummoxes my used-bookstore owning friend to no end, people these days asking for extremely specific “genres” and actually getting mad she doesn’t have labels for them on her bookshelves like she can just tag and sort poo poo irl like an Amazon algorithm. I’ve been helping her tag on her website somewhat established sub-genres so she can look it up easier when people ask for “historical romance” or “alt-history sff” and so on but the combination of Goodreads and Booktok is driving this overly specific vibe/trope tagging to completely ridiculous proportions

Also yeah, a lot of people reading Legends and Lattes and wanting more like that are likely young enough they haven’t heard of Terry Pratchett yet. Even likelier they haven’t heard of Wodehouse

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The first chapter of Red Rising is like: I am the grittiest toughest miner known to man -- a helldiver. I use my helldrill to hellmine Helium-3 as I sip from my drinktube. My frysuit is ironically named because it keeps me from frying. I spit into my helmet that stinks like piss. Here on Mars, the planet that is red, girls get married off at fourteen. Life's just that tough on the red planet but my uncle is weak and my father is dead -- everyone is weak, my hands are worn and my expression grim and the caverns of Mars smell like death. The society killed my wife on our wedding day. I am fourteen years old.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Stuporstar posted:

It’s not actually a sub-genre like cozy mystery is, it’s just a vibe.
Precisely this.

fez_machine posted:

The Moon Moth is one of the best Science Fiction stories ever and it's just a guy getting clowned on for not understanding a culture.
:emptyquote:

Re Raymond Chandler, one of his famous statements about noir was: "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 2, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Poldarn posted:

A buddy of mine lent me some of his Wodehouseses as character prep for a tabletop RPG we were running. I called 'em "low stakes shenanigans". Very fun and readable.

Incidentally, if you like Wodehouse you might want to check out his contemporary Thorne Smith, whose books are full of similar shenanigans but with lots more drinking and -- by the standards of the 1920s-1930s -- sex.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies #2) by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P43TMS/

I looked into the amazon affiliate program and I'm pretty sure posting links on somethingawful isn't going to cut it. They say I need to provide original content on a publicly accessible website that I own or a social media page.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pradmer posted:

Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies #2) by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P43TMS/

I looked into the amazon affiliate program and I'm pretty sure posting links on somethingawful isn't going to cut it. They say I need to provide original content on a publicly accessible website that I own or a social media page.
For anyone else who attempts to figure out what this is a sequel to and gets extremely confused, "The Prefect" was apparently renamed "Aurora Rising" for some reason

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Precisely this.

:emptyquote:

Re Raymond Chandler, one of his famous statements about noir was: "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "

That's the quote I was trying to remember earlier.

I've gotten at least half a dozen people to read The Big Sleep just based on the opening paragraph or two. The prose is so perfect to me.

quote:

It was about eleven o’clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn’t care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.

Nice.

e: Also I heard an interview with Raymond Chandler and his English accent took me completely by surprise

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yip. That's glorious.

There's also this opening to a short story:

quote:

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good lord this is dead on

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any recommendations for books with great audiobook narration? I'm almost done with my current book (2nd book of the "Red Rising" series) and considering starting a different book or series. The only way I have time to consume any books is through audiobooks nowadays and I've realized that terrible narration can make an otherwise great story seem like a chore.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

MarksMan posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books with great audiobook narration? I'm almost done with my current book (2nd book of the "Red Rising" series) and considering starting a different book or series. The only way I have time to consume any books is through audiobooks nowadays and I've realized that terrible narration can make an otherwise great story seem like a chore.

Circe by Madeline Miller
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (Chiwetel <3333)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MarksMan posted:

Moira Quirk absolutely nails the narration for Gideon the Ninth et al. They're great books in their own right but she does the narration justice imo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's a version of Watership Down read by Roy Dotrice that I adored when I was a kid.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A stupid grudge I have held for literal decades:

I noped out of Thomas Covenant at the rape for obvious reasons (it was a rape). I remain maddened that "white gold" is treated as a rare thing. It's a loving alloy. Can you mine gold? Congratulations. You can now make white gold.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I noped out of Thomas Covenant at the rape for obvious reasons (it was a rape). I remain maddened that "white gold" is treated as a rare thing. It's a loving alloy. Can you mine gold? Congratulations. You can now make white gold.

A wizard did it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

MarksMan posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl has a great reading.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I accidentally ended up with these books called the "exordium" series which was definitely not due to loving up searching for exordia but it turns out they're pretty good, especially if you like stuff like overwrought political descriptions and weird space rituals. The Phoenix In Flight is the first one. They are for some reason incredibly hard to search for. Like em a lot

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw some reddit thread recently about some horrible boomer grandma ranting about how her grandchild had been allowed to visit some relative who had "filthy" books in his house

Reading the description the "filthy" books were very clearly the Thomas covenant series

I thought about it and realized "yeah, those books do suck" and put my copies in the "for goodwill" box in the garage

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've loved a lot of Reynolds' works, but was really put off by his Revenger series' drastically lower quality... Anyone have thoughts on how this and Machine Vendetta hold up?

Inhibitor Phase felt like fanservice, unnecessary step back to an universe that was reasonably settled at this point in time, with the obligatory character throwbacks to the earlier and better novels. The general mood of the Inhibitor universe is still there and that bit works, I did enjoy the pressing end times vibe bit of it. But otherwise, just unnecessary.

No clue about Machine Vendetta, but I will pick that one up once I see it. The first two Prefect Dreyfuss novels were quite enjoyable enough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I bailed at the same place and for the same reason, so I have no idea what the in-universe explanation is, but my assumption has always been that "white gold" in that universe is some sort of magical bullshit, and they use some other term for the non-magical alloy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I also bailed at that point but was already annoyed by the way he talked about leprosy as if it were the 1400s. That said it's been a long time so maybe I just misremember.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ToxicFrog posted:

I bailed at the same place and for the same reason, so I have no idea what the in-universe explanation is, but my assumption has always been that "white gold" in that universe is some sort of magical bullshit, and they use some other term for the non-magical alloy.

it was ages ago but it was some sort of metaphor for beautiful things with a slight impurity, kind of like LEPROSY get it?

I read those in high school (so decades ago), and read the last two books of the second trilogy as they were released borrowed from the library, then buying the hardcovers from them has they downsized their reserve collections. Only learned there was a third trilogy relatively recently from here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I noped out of Thomas Covenant for two reasons: one, it's played completely straight and I am completely incapable of taking a world with so many Proper Nouns (and stupid actual names - Lord Foul, for gently caress's sake) properly. Two, from how far I got (about halfway through book 1 I think) it had the most generic fantasy world I've ever seen.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I really liked all the parts of the Thomas Covenant books, except Thomas Covenant.

Lord Mhoram was great, the siege of Revelstone is by far my favourite part of the trilogies. With the possible exception of 'Nom'.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MarksMan posted:

Either version of the wheel of time (the new ones with Rosamund Pike or the old ones with the husband and wife team) are tremendous and will give you dozens of hours of entertainment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's no gold at all in The Land or whatever it's called. That's the whole point, he brings it with him from Earth.

Also my lol story about the Thomas Covenant books is that I read them when I was really young and must've totally skipped the rape bit or not really realised what was happening, because when I found out as an adult it came as quite a shock.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phobeste posted:

I accidentally ended up with these books called the "exordium" series which was definitely not due to loving up searching for exordia but it turns out they're pretty good, especially if you like stuff like overwrought political descriptions and weird space rituals. The Phoenix In Flight is the first one. They are for some reason incredibly hard to search for. Like em a lot

The Exordium series is really good and really weird in a lot of cool ways. Anybody who wants a five-volume series of very complex science fiction should check these out.

A short description of the setting is that the Exiles went through a one-way wormhole from Earth, ending up scattered in time and space at their destination. Over the millennia, a very complex society has evolved, ruled over by a royal line of extremely pragmatic people. Twenty years ago, they were attacked by a rigidly hierarchical outsider society, and won. The outsiders have been plotting revenge ever since. Now they strike, with the power of a Suneater backing them up.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I really liked all the parts of the Thomas Covenant books, except Thomas Covenant.

Lord Mhoram was great, the siege of Revelstone is by far my favourite part of the trilogies. With the possible exception of 'Nom'.

It’s really unfortunate that Donaldson seems to be incapable of writing without a rape or a lot of rape, thanks Gap Cycle being involved because he’s actually a decent writer outside of that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kalman posted:

It’s really unfortunate that Donaldson seems to be incapable of writing without a rape or a lot of rape, thanks Gap Cycle being involved because he’s actually a decent writer outside of that.

As I recall, the two Mordant's Need books were both good, and lacking in rape. They're closer to the Romance genre, so there's some boddice ripping. I haven't read anything by him after that, and I should, he's a really good writer.

The Gap Cycle is five volumes of content warnings, but if you can get past that, and I'm not saying you necessarily should, they're really goddamn good. In the afterward to the first book he says everything he actually writes is the result of the intersection of two ideas. In this case the ideas are "the Ring Cycle by Wagner" and the character name "Angus Thermopylae". Which you have to admit, is a great name for a space pirate.

e. I'm gonna see the Dril quote in a reply, I just know it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mllaneza posted:

The Gap Cycle is five volumes of content warnings, but if you can get past that, and I'm not saying you necessarily should, they're really goddamn good.
[…]
e. I'm gonna see the Dril quote in a reply, I just know it.

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Donaldson and I noped out of Thomas Covenant in like 1992.

https://x.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=46&t=gWzpfrvXxUbLMdxEMDGWfg

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ulmont posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Donaldson and I noped out of Thomas Covenant in like 1992.

Ha! I noped out in 1978! :agesilaus:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The problem with Donaldson (minus the rape) is when stuff happens in his books it's fun, but in between stuff happening every character introduced so far feels the need to tell you what they think about what just happened, which really bogs down the back half of any series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

I also bailed at that point but was already annoyed by the way he talked about leprosy as if it were the 1400s.

Donaldson was writing from first hand experience. His father was a medical missionary working with lepers in India in the 1950s.

And if you don't like Covenant, well, good. He doesn't like himself either. His self-loathing, particularly over the rape he commits, is the driving force of the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Some of my favorite SFF audiobooks, a couple have already been mentioned. Just going through my Audible account for stuff where I really liked the narration.

Piranesi
Murderbot series
Locked Tomb series (not great for casual listening though)
Golden Enclaves series (or really most of Novik's stuff)
Wayfarers series
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Bobiverse series
Eifelheim
Pushing Ice
House of Suns
Both Goblin Emperor and the other books in the same world

And not really SFF but still discussed here sometimes (and my favorite of all time), the Aubrey Maturin series read by Patrick Tull.