Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My boss two days ago: add X to this document then send back to me

Me: *does that*

Today:

My boss: Can you explain to me what the justification was for having X in the document

:psyduck: you....YOU MADE ME DO IT.

Luckily it's a thread I can point that out in but jfc.

One of my first bosses would do this constantly. Even better was when she’d give you verbal instructions that she’d then forget about until half-remembering them later, and get annoyed that what you’d done didn’t match her new idea of what you should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

blackmet posted:

I was sitting on a conference call earlier today. Basically, there were 15 of us watching one guy on Teams make a phone call about a specialized account opening to an absolutely massive client for training purposes. Everyone is on mute, cameras off.

Towards the end of the call, we hear what sounds like some quite "vigorous exercise" over the line for about 30 seconds. There is only one person off mute.

To the credit of the trainer and the client, they both continued on like it wasn't fappening.

After the call was done, the trainer continued to pretend it didn't happen, except for stopping once and saying "Is anyone recording this call? (Suspected fapper's manager) is asking." Nobody was, or at least wasn't going to say they were on the call.

Then two managers showed up on the call on mute, then they disappeared with the suspected fapper. He is now showing as offline.

I mean, it's possible he was running on a treadmill while listening to the call...but it definitely didn't sound good.

:stare:

They disabled recording of meetings like a year ago.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

blackmet posted:

I was sitting on a conference call earlier today. Basically, there were 15 of us watching one guy on Teams make a phone call about a specialized account opening to an absolutely massive client for training purposes. Everyone is on mute, cameras off.

Towards the end of the call, we hear what sounds like some quite "vigorous exercise" over the line for about 30 seconds. There is only one person off mute.

To the credit of the trainer and the client, they both continued on like it wasn't fappening.

After the call was done, the trainer continued to pretend it didn't happen, except for stopping once and saying "Is anyone recording this call? (Suspected fapper's manager) is asking." Nobody was, or at least wasn't going to say they were on the call.

Then two managers showed up on the call on mute, then they disappeared with the suspected fapper. He is now showing as offline.

I mean, it's possible he was running on a treadmill while listening to the call...but it definitely didn't sound good.

Jeffrey Toobin strokes again

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ceciltron posted:

C. My other parts clerk: A decent guy but a hair trigger temper. Stormed out of the office multiple times upon perceived or imagined slights from customers, service guys, myself, or life, in general. Hated the guts of one of the managers who was legitimately one of the most helpful and teamplaying members of the company, because they were once friends but now said manager was "all high and mighty". Polar opposite of the old clerk, he was fastidious, teetotalling, and looked like Paul Blart when he shaved his beard off leaving only the mustache. Not so bad once I learned to deal with him, but he badmouthed me multiple times to my boss for "thinking [I] know everything."

I could probably post more but this is enough for now.

We had a guy who had that same kind of temper, but instead of taking it out on coworkers or themselves, would get spun up, go their boss and scream "gently caress YOU I QUIT." Then try come back the next day. Except that didn't work, and he'd get fired constantly.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Zero One posted:

Snagit will record audio and screens of Teams if you set it up right, and there are people in my department who are almost obsessive about recording live trainings using that method and trading them like Grateful Dead live concert mixtapes.

It's extremely strange and I don't take part.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you put it on the internet, someone will record it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Was anyone else scandalized when they realized Snagit video recording is just Camtasia without real video editing?

Mostly just because I want to see a little "unregistered Camtasia" watermark in the corner of those illicit training videos like I'm watching a Mario video in 2009.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

this so loving hard.

dont work cheap and dont work free. if its not in your job description dont "just do it" to be a team player or you own it and its going to be expected of you.

Capitalism creates competition between the worker and the company, where it's in the workers best interest to do as little as possible for as much money as they can earn. Meanwhile, the company is constantly trying to pry more work out of them at no extra cost because it improves the bottom line.

Think like you're another company, not like a worker - you want to get as much as you can, for as little effort as you can muster. I mean, that's literally how your bosses are thinking so why not turn it back around on them and take your life back?

Boss makes a dollar when I make a dime, I'm not going to give the company extra time. I'm doing enough work only just barely get up to my dimes-worth - or even less, if I can get away with it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 2, 2024

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zero One posted:

Teams did? Or maybe just by default? We record our managers meetings every week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
at the tenant level you can block recording or set specific permissions for folks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

One of my first bosses would do this constantly. Even better was when she’d give you verbal instructions that she’d then forget about until half-remembering them later, and get annoyed that what you’d done didn’t match her new idea of what you should do.

I'm mentally writing up a short presentation for my staff that can be distilled to: 'Before you start doing something, make sure you have communicated with every relevant person to ensure the venn diagram of the following is a circle: What they want, what they need, what they asked for, what you think they want, what you think they need, what you think they are asking for. If it is not a circle, continue communication until the venn diagram is a circle. If you are doing the work, you are responsible for ensuring the venn diagram is a circle, because you will be responsible for doing it again'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Edit: beaten but lol

Outrail posted:

I'm mentally writing up a short presentation for my staff that can be distilled to: 'Before you start doing something, make sure you have communicated with every relevant person to ensure the venn diagram of the following is a circle: What they want, what they need, what they asked for, what you think they want, what you think they need, what you think they are asking for. If it is not a circle, continue communication until the venn diagram is a circle. If you are doing the work, you are responsible for ensuring the venn diagram is a circle, because you will be responsible for doing it again'.

You're reminding me of this classic:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Interesting how they changed the captions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I was googling for it I found several variations. Pretty sure the one I posted is the one I printed out and put up in my cubicle at my first job ~20 years ago.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I forgot about this. Yoink.

Working title: 'Expectation Management and preventing stupid people from wasting your time'

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 2, 2024

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My workplace in a nutshell.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The "now in my job description" thread reminded me:

Had three coworkers doing site work about 8 hours from the office. They drove in a work truck. While on site #1 had a heart attack. Other 2 go on standby a couple days while everyone figures out a plan.

I got a call from #2 employee: "I'm being told one of us has to wait here another day so that I can drive Heart Attack home (can't fly). But I don't think that's my problem. #3 agrees but wanted me to be the one to stick my neck out."

He quit not long after that. I never told Heart Attack that part of the story, especially since #3 still works with him.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Capitalism creates competition between the worker and the company, where it's in the workers best interest to do as little as possible for as much money as they can earn. Meanwhile, the company is constantly trying to pry more work out of them at no extra cost because it improves the bottom line.

Think like you're another company, not like a worker - you want to get as much as you can, for as little effort as you can muster. I mean, that's literally how your bosses are thinking so why not turn it back around on them and take your life back?

Boss makes a dollar when I make a dime, I'm not going to give the company extra time. I'm doing enough work only just barely get up to my dimes-worth - or even less, if I can get away with it.

This is the way :haibrow:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I don't do it so much anymore but getting paid to drive for 8 hours was always wonderful. Id volunteer for it tbqh

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah I enjoy long drives. If I could get paid what I do now to drive all day I'd probably go for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invited to a meeting that is purely an excuse to demonstrate wealth to the wealthy.

Hope its nice to be the lowliest at the palace of pleasure.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Edit: beaten but lol

You're reminding me of this classic:

Way back in the early 90s, when I was 8 or so, my grandfather gave me a computer for Christmas - he worked at a community college, and they were retiring the Swedish BASIC-in-ROM computers from 1979* in their computer lab. They were from a "teach the kids coding" program a bit like the BBC Micro, and I got a stack of books with it - starting at 10 PRINT "Hello" and ending somewhere in "how to write a joystick driver in assembly". On the way they had chapters on how to write software for customers, and they had a version of that drawing subtitled in Swedish - I was surprised when I saw the original pop up on the internet decades later.

Also, I have to give credit to those long retired Swedish authors, it really was a decent introduction.

* An ABC80, for those curious

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today was a good day. Whatever chemicals they put in the tanks smelled like maple syrup and the corrosion was very pretty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ceciltron posted:

This was a mediun sized family-owned business on it's second generation of ownership in Canada.

Oh god, the only thing worse than working for a family business is working for a second generation family business.

First gen are still around to tell you nothing you're doing is right and second gen are so far up their own arses that you can't tell them anything.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Is there anything more satisfying than your boss doubting you on something that's your job and going to check in on if you're doing it right, only to have to come back and admit to your face they were incorrect and you were indeed doing it right?

put this poo poo into a needle and inject it into my veeeeeins

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Barudak posted:

Invited to a meeting that is purely an excuse to demonstrate wealth to the wealthy.

Hope its nice to be the lowliest at the palace of pleasure.

Mock them with their pathetically high sales numbers.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Is there anything more satisfying than your boss doubting you on something that's your job and going to check in on if you're doing it right, only to have to come back and admit to your face they were incorrect and you were indeed doing it right?

put this poo poo into a needle and inject it into my veeeeeins

When I get a manager that does this I make sure to give positive reinforcement, like giving a dog a treat for not dragging their lovely rear end in a top hat on the carpet

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Our Mac guy called our boss's boss on the "help get this Apple Vision Pro working in our environment" thing. Apparently the boss had no idea what a Vision Pro was and once its purpose (and price) was explained, put the kibosh on it all.

From what the Mac guy told me, this dude bought a Vision Pro with his own money and is flailing to get it working in the environment so he can expense it to the company.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Probably the first thing at my new job that has been dumb: if you write detailed notes about a specific weird case so that anyone working the case can quickly get up to speed with what's weird about it, the policy is to just assign you to the case since you're already familiar with it.

So the minmaxed move is to not leave notes about weird cases and let people fend for themselves so you don't get extra work put on ya

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Probably the first thing at my new job that has been dumb: if you write detailed notes about a specific weird case so that anyone working the case can quickly get up to speed with what's weird about it, the policy is to just assign you to the case since you're already familiar with it.

So the minmaxed move is to not leave notes about weird cases and let people fend for themselves so you don't get extra work put on ya

The reward for good work is always more work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Barudak, we fear your costs are too low, let's discuss. It turns out Ive been delivering at half the cost the system set as a goal for the year, so now I gotta have someone deep dive the numbers for me to figure out how much to put in there.

If anybody needs me Im gonna go yell into the void about what a currency conversion is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Double the number of hours you put on your timesheet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

Barudak, we fear your costs are too low, let's discuss. It turns out Ive been delivering at half the cost the system set as a goal for the year, so now I gotta have someone deep dive the numbers for me to figure out how much to put in there.

If anybody needs me Im gonna go yell into the void about what a currency conversion is.

Baraduk, you sell too much, and you spend too little. Shameful, the company will be too profitable!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

What are you? If they sent you to Singapore you'd come back alive and rich

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Once upon a time I wrote a guide explaining how to fault find and diagnose problems on a particularly loving tragic piece of equipment. Many years later I had this very same document waved in my face by one of my bosses as he argued with me that I clearly didn’t understand the instructions in the guide.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It turns out, Barudak's work is a completely normal office. He's just so ultra proficient effective and fast. People from outside look at the company and assume that they must have a sweatshop with 50 people in the basement to reach his quota. Obviously, such insinuations are bad for business, that's why he has to slow down. It turns out when he switches jobs he'll run into the same problems.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 5, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Catastrophe posted:

We had a bad helpdesk in our IT dept at a previous job. They had zero troubleshooting or even critical thinking skills. Little things they'd do would irk me like one of them would search for things on the internet by going to the address bar, typing in https://www.yahoo.com and then searching from there. We told her you can just type what you're searching for in the bar without going to "www.yahoo.com" first every time. She said no, she preferred that method. I dunno...

I feel targeted here... I don't like typing my queries straight into the address bar either. It's for URLs only!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

RocketMermaid posted:

:stare: Of all the ways of tracking brews, 413 individual spreadsheet tabs is the most ludicrous I've ever encountered. I can think of a thousand different ways that could be improved - do they not give you any control over your own brew tracking whatsoever?

Also how the gently caress are you supposed to do planning/scheduling/ingredient ordering/etc. when your keyboard doesn't even fully work? Your bosses have completely hosed priorities.

Pretty sure my boss has 400 chrome tabs open at any single time. No he can't utilize it, no he can't organize anything, when he's tried it becomes a complex folder hierarchy that nobody else understands including him. Only way to use it is search, which TBH is what you should do. Of course he dont search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My boss two days ago: add X to this document then send back to me

Me: *does that*

Today:

My boss: Can you explain to me what the justification was for having X in the document

:psyduck: you....YOU MADE ME DO IT.

Luckily it's a thread I can point that out in but jfc.

This happened to me during an interview once!

Instructions: write a program that takes in ASCII and outputs etc etc
Me: limits the program to ASCII input
The interviewer: I ran a bunch of different test cases on your work and it doesn't accept Unicode characters :/ this is a limitation :/

Luckily this part of the interview process was over email so I could directly cite the instructions, but God drat, you knew what assignment you were giving me