Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

Forget Criterion Closet, give me more of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTTrP-srRM

We can't, she's kinda dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

The narration makes The Killer. It's just bad Le Samouraï if you take it out

Don't disagree it makes the movie. Just wish it'd been somewhat more colorful interesting than the guy reciting his mantra "Don't give a gently caress".

Love that Blockbuster video, tragic as it is. RIP Murphy.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

idk where to post this but I stumbled across this video last night and it's a banger from start to finish, like Les Blanc by way of Christopher Guest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNAKjALO7c

This takes quite the swerve when the guy starts to talk about Hitler, yiiiiiikes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 2, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Grendels Dad posted:

We can't, she's kinda dead.

no she isn't.

she's actually dead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching Paint, the Owen Wilson Bob Ross spoof. So far it is surprisingly mean-spirited.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Watched The Abyss special edition last night. What a great time.

Some thoughts -

- The film still looks remarkably good.

- The sets are incredible.

- Once again, James Cameron is anything but subtle.

- It's wild to me how last year, billionaires paid for the immersive "demise of the villain from the abyss" experience.

- I couldn't help but laugh at Ed Harris diving down 10k feet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh man this is real bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alright, I watched Paint. It's really bad. First off, it's not funny. There's one joke I thought was pretty good, but it's one of those one line throwaway gags, and they gently caress it up by doing it twice in a row.

Secondly, they decided to make their Bob Ross spoof really mean-spirited for some reason. The Bob Ross character is just a thoroughly awful person who only cares about getting a painting in the museum and trading paintings for sex. Absolutely zero redeeming features, which makes his redemption at the end not work on any level.

On top of that, the movie also make mean-spirited jokes about PBS, PBS viewers, old people generally, amateur painters, Vermont and people who live in Vermont, and men with curly hair. This is not a A Mighty Wind style loving spoof. This feels like a movie created by someone who used to date a Bob Ross fan and wanted to say that everything about Bob Ross was stupid.

The replacement host who is presented by the movie as producing inarguably better and more interesting work literally paints exactly the same as the Bob Ross stand-in, but adds lightsabers and UFOs to the paintings.

And the final conclusion of the movie, the last scene which establishes that the Bob Ross character has truly set aside his ego and is now producing genuine art from his heart purely for the love of art, is he literally becomes Banksy. Not a Banksy stand-in character, literally Banksy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's some truly powerful stupid energy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ShoogaSlim posted:

no she isn't.

she's actually dead.

Also, so is block buster.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching Paint now. It's crazy how much making the guy less a 1:1 for Bob Ross would have made this feel less exploitative.

edit: yeah this is pretty irredeemable. Why would you make the selling point of your movie "hey you know this beloved figure, here's a movie pissing on them for an hour and some." If you do Santa Claus but dark, you make the trailer Santa smoking a cigar and packing heat. What an ugly surprise.

Feels like something made by someone who hates artists, or at least this particular kind of art. That not only Ross but his plucky upstart successor only use art to get laid and influence people in a better film could be fun. Here it feels like a statement. The idea that art can only be made by "the image tucked away in your brain and your soul feel like it's going to burst" sucks rear end. Garbage moral by someone that doesn't make art.

A lot gets fixed if you just make this guy exist in a world where Bob Ross already existed and is trying to forcibly replicate his life. That explains away him being bad, why he's conflicted about the kind of art he's making, and makes the end where he gets a haircut actually feel like growth. Doesn't fix the rest of the film being dull and uninspired, but would at least make it feel less like it's pissing on a grave.

Gripweed posted:

This is not a A Mighty Wind style loving spoof. This feels like a movie created by someone who used to date a Bob Ross fan and wanted to say that everything about Bob Ross was stupid.

Very much.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 2, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The March Movie of the Month is Paint! Everybody check it out, it's terrible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The idea of an evil Bob Ross sounds funny but only if Jody Hill was the one who did it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The March Movie of the Month is Paint! Everybody check it out, it's terrible.

It's actually mallrats!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tubi is a wealth of oddities. Stumbled upon Netherbeast Incorporated this morning. Has the most eclectic cast of recognizable faces:

- Steve from Blue's Clue's
- Jason Mewes from Clerks
- Dave Foley from Kids in the Hall
- Judd Nelson from Breakfast Club
- Darren Hammond from SNL

all in the service of "What if The Office but everyone was Vampires". It's not good, but it's sabotaged by some impressively bad production. All the shots are boring, and they put buffoonish stock music under every scene. Not quite midi's but only one step above that.

Most of the jokes fall flat, but the concept isn't terrible and most of the performances are 'fine'. Was right on the cusp of the Vampire craze, 2007, so the timing was right at least.

Can't help but wonder what everyone involved thought when What We Do in the Shadows came along seven years later and did everything this does better. Given this was one of Steve Burns only starring movie roles, hope this wasn't what put him off it.

https://tubitv.com/movies/549561/netherbeast-incorporated

CelticPredator posted:

The idea of an evil Bob Ross sounds funny but only if Jody Hill was the one who did it

He's not even evil. He's just a fuckboi. Would fully trust Jody Hill to do this kind of concept more justice, can imagine Danny McBride killing it. With gusto.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

No thanks

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fair though I'm curious to see how it's aged

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Fair though I'm curious to see how it's aged

I watched it a couple years ago and it is fine. A good example of the Gen x 90s apathy that was pushed in the culture.

Mar 1, 2024

the administration has no clue what to make when given the above obligation

here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZ0xKaCdus

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Criterion Channel continues to be the best streaming service. I’ve been sort of wanting to see Showgirls since it’s gotten a bit more discussion recently with the 4K release. Lo and behold, Criterion is adding a “Razzies” collection this month with that and some other notable bombs (Ishtar, Heaven’s Gate, Barbed Wire, Freddy Got Fingered, etc).

And to think, at one point I thought this service only streamed Criterion Collection movies…

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ishtar I'm excited for because that hasn't been on streaming as of late and I'm very curious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The people (in general out in the world) who tricked me into watching Perfect Days will pay dearly and it will all happen to Lou reeds. Love that there's a movie to make npr listeners feel better about the guy they see cleaning bathrooms at the mall.
I take back everything I said criticizing WKW's choices in score and I apologize to Edward yang for having ADD.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was led to believe (by Gary Larson) that Ishtar was a movie of such transcendent badness that it would scar me for life.

I still haven't seen it but from what I gather he was just going by hearsay and it isn't notably bad at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've seen Ishtar but remember nothing about it. It was in fairly heavy rotation on Comedy Central back in the 90s.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i haven't seen Ishtar but someone's really gotta work on getting The Heartbreak Kid back into circulation, that movie is great

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqloPw5wp48

Head up: a new Contrapoints dropped yesterday, and it's a drat good one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I was led to believe (by Gary Larson) that Ishtar was a movie of such transcendent badness that it would scar me for life.

I still haven't seen it but from what I gather he was just going by hearsay and it isn't notably bad at all

He admitted to not having seen it when he made that comic. I remember that because in one of the collections that included commentary he said something about how he finally watched it and found out it was actually decent, and that it's the only strip he feels he should apologize for. Good on him for being able to admit it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqloPw5wp48

Head up: a new Contrapoints dropped yesterday, and it's a drat good one.

I am skeptical my brother.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am skeptical my brother.

It's still a 3-hour breadtube-youtube essay, with all that entails, but it's leaps above most others I've encountered.

My one complaint is that it's not really a full analysis of Twilight - instead using it as a jumping-off point for a discursive essay on "problematic romance novels". That's fine and all, but frustrating to a Twihard like me. Nat Wynn kinda glosses over how Bella Swan is a genuine weirdo in her own right, and not just a generic placeholder character for the largely-female audience.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That sounds awful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Guys I found it. The greatest pull quote of all time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Instead check out this channel
https://youtube.com/@HauntedManor?si=S1LdZfEQ7wj_9O5D

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr Hootington posted:

That sounds awful.

You're awful!!!

Ok, I will!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I knew you were a Twihard but not for the books.

Whoa!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

¡Ay Caramba!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I knew you were a Twihard but not for the books.

Oh yeah, the books are not good (from what little I've read) - though very 'deep' in their kitsch content. Luckily, the video's more movie-focussed than book-focussed when it's covering Twilight - and the bulk of the runtime is really about the broader topic of sexual fantasy in psychoanalysis.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Blank Check paywalled episode on new moon has the director as a guest and is actually really interesting. He obviously came to the movie in really good faith which would be easy not to do.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I always scratch my head at movies that have synopses mixing a quirky but understandable situation with another one. Then the trailer throws you an extra couple of side plots.

Like recently I came across: The struggles and triumphs of a diehard Liverpool fan who has lost most of his vision from watching comes on television up close.

Then the trailer is like cutting between

'I've always supported the team. Even when it took what's most important. My sight.'

'I can't see the scoreboard, but I can see a winning season on the cards.'

[being told that the bank can't approved his hone repair loan to fix his caved in ceiling]
'I'll make due. I always have.'

'Hello brother. What's it been? Ten? Twenty years?'

On its own I'd figure the synopsis is meant to convey that this is a semi-art film. But with the trailer I just presume they didn't have enough ideas for a whole movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kojima 'ed again

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1764204031596188014?t=0GUq06nM_X2edR5ChPeFwg&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/culturecrave/status/1764006847990968490?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gripweed posted:

Guys I found it. The greatest pull quote of all time.

This is amazing.