Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

next short game pick goes to #37, symbolic! congrats and let me know your game/trophy picks when you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I thought I'd finally gotten a handle on Cogmind but it's been curbstomping me all weekend.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Know I'm only going to have time to dig into one of these this month, been struggling to decide which, so I rolled a d6. It says 2 so I'm playing ADOM. This is how I live my life apparently.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I was playing .31 online.

Jiyva is a double edged sword because the friendly jellies it spawns will eat up anything on the ground apart from artifacts. As soon as you hit max piety you should head for slime pits as you get the rune and access to the treasure at the bottom level for free. Keep an eye on your mutations with shift+a. Anything grayed out is incompatible with your current transformation. If you can funnel enemies into narrow corridors slime walls will get you a lot of free kills in the early game.

thanks dude didnt know that about mutations (or like most of the other stuff lol). did notice the roomba-ing though. motherfuckers stole my drat javelins!!!!!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sub-Actuality posted:

next short game pick goes to #37, symbolic! congrats and let me know your game/trophy picks when you can

oh boy

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Am I crazy or has Crawl got harder in the last few updates? I've hit like 10 red threat level enemies on this D10.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

been trying to get into all of the listed roguelikes but i've been dying quickly on all of them. shame cause i respect the work the devs do for these sorts of games.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is the actual solution here lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

French Accent posted:

been trying to get into all of the listed roguelikes but i've been dying quickly on all of them. shame cause i respect the work the devs do for these sorts of games.

try adom as an archer or dcss as NOT minotaur berserker but something like gargoyle mage. I got to level 15 for the first time ever as a magic user in dcss and cant make it to level 5 as the "easiest noob class"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

: Complete a Challenge Mode run
: Unlock any secret track

I dont really want to get into another pissing contest with dieting hippo wrt the time trial

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

mbt posted:

There are two things you can ask him about right now. One you'll see for yourself if you dive a little deeper, the other one should be an obvious question in any RPG game

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

: Worship Jiyva

I'm not sure I've ever played a Jiyva character before. If I have it can only be once or twice. This is going to be interesting.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

: Kill a Legendary Creature

: Enter Grit Gate

CoQ is going pretty well once I fell back on my Carbide Fister

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vadun posted:

There are two things you can ask him about right now. One you'll see for yourself if you dive a little deeper, the other one should be an obvious question in any RPG game

sounds good.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Namtab posted:

I dont really want to get into another pissing contest with dieting hippo wrt the time trial

i am not gonna be fighting to keep this one lol, i hit so many walls for that record

turn off signatures

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

: Clear either the village dungeon or the druid dungeon
: Enter the Caverns of Chaos

i need a break from this. adom is cool in that its somewhat structured but not very intuitive at any of its systems. dcss is a lot more random and freeform for better or worse.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

: Find Klanq

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Aston posted:

Am I crazy or has Crawl got harder in the last few updates? I've hit like 10 red threat level enemies on this D10.

0.29 made the game insanely more difficult by giving monsters attacks of opportunity when you move adjacent to them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

do it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

turn off signatures

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stux posted:

: Find Klanq

Klanq ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i didnt realise he would let me pick a weapon hardpoint on a gunrack for the infection lol also he wants me to puff at a zetachrome sword and a highly entropic being

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

So I cheated. I do not like this game. Sue me.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mbt posted:

lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

French Accent posted:

Yeah I’ve gotten super hooked on ADOM and TOME these last couple days, but I was just thinking earlier today that while I’m having a lot of fun and I like this event because I’d never tried a roguelike before and now I’m addicted, I get the feeling that I’m not going to get even a single trophy lol. Three days into the month is probably too early to be dramatic like that but I’m lucky if I can get an ADOM character to survive to level 10 and even that doesn’t seem like enough to reliably get past the ants in the puppy quest alone (although I did get really close, killed most of the ants and damaged the queen pretty badly but something else came up from behind while I was dealing with them).

mbt posted:

try adom as an archer or dcss as NOT minotaur berserker but something like gargoyle mage. I got to level 15 for the first time ever as a magic user in dcss and cant make it to level 5 as the "easiest noob class"

Thanks for the tip though, I’ll try an archer for my next character. I’ve been doing various dwarf melee builds, paladins and fighters and berserkers, because I like that when I open a door and there’s thirty dudes standing there staring at me I can just back up into a narrow hallway and tank their hits while I kill them one by one but then someone spawns behind me and I’m in trouble, maybe being mobile and shooting from a distance is the way to go.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

Now die.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

mbt posted:

sounds good, thanks.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mbt posted:

okay this is good to know lol i kept picking minotaur hunter because that's what the tutorial guides you to and am having a similar experience

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

djinn firemage is the best class ive ever played thus far. no mana management + extremely powerful spells. melee in dcss is boring vs. me exploding the screen with fire

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I get the feeling crawl devs made early brainless melee harder and no one updated the starter guides.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My only 15 rune win was a minotaur fighter like 10 years ago lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

so what im hearing is i should stop sending gargoyle barbarians to their deaths over and over

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

i didnt realise he would let me pick a weapon hardpoint on a gunrack for the infection

just realisied the implication of doing this so i uninstalled and then reinstalled the implant and the infection was gone. puff off klanq

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I get the feeling crawl devs made early brainless melee harder and no one updated the starter guides.

i was going to do gargoyle fighter for a quick ascend...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The ending to my character's story was, I swear to God, "She flew into a black hole and was never seen again.". This is the worst racing game I have played. Symbolic if you don't pick a good game I am going to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

The ending to my character's story was, I swear to God, "She flew into a black hole and was never seen again.". This is the worst racing game I have played. Symbolic if you don't pick a good game I am going to kill you.

Lol