Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

*squinting*

wait isn’t this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Not yet it's not

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/04/uk-teenagers-parents-standard-of-living-research

quote:

British teenagers believe their generation will have a worse life than their parents, according to new research.

Money, jobs and the climate crisis were named among the concerns of 1,001 teenagers aged 14 to 17 who were questioned by YouGov for the children’s charity Barnardo’s.

When asked to imagine their lives at the age of 30 years, 55% of teenagers said they believed their lives would be worse than the previous generation, while another 34% thought the next generation of children’s lives would not be any better.

Of those surveyed, 9% said they felt “hopeless” about their future.

Lynn Perry, the chief executive of Barnardo’s, said that children believing their lives would be harder than their parents’ “is a sign the social contract is broken and we’re at risk of failing the next generation”.

What’s up with Generation Z?
Read more
“It’s our job to make the world better for our children, not worse,” she added.

One teenager said: “Everyone is struggling these days. My mum struggles to pay the bills and she’s a nurse with a master’s degree. I’m not that clever, so imagine my life will be harder than hers. We used to be able to go on holidays but Mum can’t afford it any more.”
Wow, whole lot of cringe basement dwelling misanthrope doomer wreckers in the younger generations

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

4d3d3d posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/04/uk-teenagers-parents-standard-of-living-research

Wow, whole lot of cringe basement dwelling misanthrope doomer wreckers in the younger generations

Polls like this are why a bunch of content took a hard turn into weird and unrealistic optimism a few years back. Lots of liberals realized very suddenly that younger generations were starting to decide that things were really, truly hosed. And not hosed in a happy "we're screwed so better vote :)" way but a less happy "we're screwed so might as well [redacted]" way.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

these kids should be thinking about creating more value for shareholders, not what future they’ll have. no one ever thinks about the shareholder. typical gen z :rolleyes:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I premember a situation where some local street toughs kick my cane out of my hand and tell me to “shut the gently caress up” about how there used to be seasons and bugs and stuff. I precall realizing that they havd a good point

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nudejedi posted:

"Lockdown" saw me working 10-12 hours shifts without a lunch break, and receiving a 25 cent raise cause " the economy". Crack pinged ya boy real nice.

Ah, I see you are an Essential Worker

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

kater posted:

*squinting*

wait isn’t this bad?

Yeah, they should have started the left axis at 0 like they did with the right axis

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How would you even shepherd a society through the changes needed to get down to 70s emissions? 60s? 30s? How do you get off the sauce, seriously?

Western liberal democracies aren't up to the task.

Real Mean Queen posted:

I premember a situation where some local street toughs kick my cane out of my hand and tell me to “shut the gently caress up” about how there used to be seasons and bugs and stuff. I precall realizing that they havd a good point

This one required a second take, good job.

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How would you even shepherd a society through the changes needed to get down to 70s emissions? 60s? 30s? How do you get off the sauce, seriously?

The very first thing you have to do, no joke, is to [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Otherwise, they're just gonna torpedo any efforts to change course

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

We're saved!!!

Thinking about the physics that makes that reality. Instant melt of the entire cryosphere? Nuclear Holocaust?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

SirPablo posted:

Thinking about the physics that makes that reality. Instant melt of the entire cryosphere? Nuclear Holocaust?

Mr Freeze cryo-gun installation on the moon

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Real Mean Queen posted:

2025 is gonna be wild

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

mags posted:

2025 is gonna be wild

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SirPablo posted:

Megavolcano. Or, a rogue state in the Global South starts pumping sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere and promises to nuke anyone who fucks with their sulfur plants. That's the most optimistic scenario where temperatures drop that sharply.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

I can’t wait

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sorry about all life on earth or whatever but this is incredible content

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
posted my annual climate doom posts in the skiing thread a full month earlier than last year, zero dissent.

last year I skied on 4/20, this year I’ll be very surprised if today wasn’t my last real day of “spring” skiing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:kimchi:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i feel like this exact image has been made here once before

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RadiRoot posted:

i feel like this exact image has been made here once before

there is no present, there is no future, only the past reflected in many ways

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
just like the humble rotifer, the meme survived dessication and laid dormant until now

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

you can clearly see when the worlds largest carbon capture plant was built in Iceland

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there is no present, there is no future, only the past reflected in many ways

imagine four bdelloids on the edge of a glacial ice shelf

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

art of the bdeall

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Homeless Friend posted:

art of the bdeall

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chamale posted:

Megavolcano. Or, a rogue state in the Global South starts pumping sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere and promises to nuke anyone who fucks with their sulfur plants. That's the most optimistic scenario where temperatures drop that sharply.

that would be atmospheric temps. you couldn't change the entire ocean's temperature that sharply without divine intervention

which is an instructive point to consider on its own.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Amelia Bdelia

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SirPablo posted:

Turn the sun off

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Communist Cop posted:

The very first thing you have to do, no joke, is to nuke the West. Otherwise, they're just gonna torpedo any efforts to change course

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

look at this graph

every time I do it makes me laugh

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Microplastics posted:

look at this graph

every time I do it makes me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
even that obviously impossible decrease in the graph leaves the line above the 30 year median temperature lmao