Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

: Complete a Challenge Mode run

The ending to my character's story was, I swear to God, "She flew into a black hole and was never seen again.". This is the worst racing game I have played. Symbolic if you don't pick a good game I am going to kill you.

i can assure you i will not be picking a game made by [checks Wikipedia] the same guys who made Dizzy the Racist Egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

: Unlock any secret track

So I cheated. I do not like this game. Sue me.

lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

symbolic posted:

i can assure you i will not be picking a game made by [checks Wikipedia] the same guys who made Dizzy the Racist Egg

Awww. *leaves Amiga in the trash*

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

drat rodbeard, grats on the op 15. I've gotten close but splatted every time

: Cast a level 9 spell
: Ascend
: Ascend with all 15 runes (PLATINUM)

djinn fire mage with robe of vines is the easiest 3-rune I've ever played except back when centaur hunter was a thing. discord and shatter rule. extended got dicey around lom lobon and all the hell lords and tomb is insane now with all the one-way staircases. gonna play something else now but I might come back and at least do a jiyva run later in the month. .31 on cao, guessing rodbeard must have been on cbo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this seems pretty good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

The ending to my character's story was, I swear to God, "She flew into a black hole and was never seen again.". This is the worst racing game I have played. Symbolic if you don't pick a good game I am going to kill you.

lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Arrhythmia posted:

lmao

turn off signatures

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Yeah I’ve gotten super hooked on ADOM and TOME these last couple days, but I was just thinking earlier today that while I’m having a lot of fun and I like this event because I’d never tried a roguelike before and now I’m addicted, I get the feeling that I’m not going to get even a single trophy lol. Three days into the month is probably too early to be dramatic like that but I’m lucky if I can get an ADOM character to survive to level 10 and even that doesn’t seem like enough to reliably get past the ants in the puppy quest alone (although I did get really close, killed most of the ants and damaged the queen pretty badly but something else came up from behind while I was dealing with them).

Thanks for the tip though, I’ll try an archer for my next character. I’ve been doing various dwarf melee builds, paladins and fighters and berserkers, because I like that when I open a door and there’s thirty dudes standing there staring at me I can just back up into a narrow hallway and tank their hits while I kill them one by one but then someone spawns behind me and I’m in trouble, maybe being mobile and shooting from a distance is the way to go.

tbh th easiest trophy to get in the list is either three classes in tome or minetown in nethack. three classes you cn usually get in around two hours maybe three, minetown you can usually beeline straight to once you get used to th interface and find out which monsters are edible and dangerous

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

: Get a fortress

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I think a spellbook just robbed me in nethack

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

: Get a fortress

Leave some skills for the rest of us

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

and I ate a zombie and died. that makes sense.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

these item descriptions are fantastically unhelpful. I know what a statue and a trident are. but how does a trident compare with a longsword? what do I do with a statue other than carry it around?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Leave some skills for the rest of us

that's tome lol. I need to reorganize them but the 2nd row is full too

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

well I accidentally stole a spellbook of teleportation from a shop by reading it while I was in there. killed a bunch of keystone kops and got to level 4 before escaping the floor. did pretty well for a while, went down a few floors, ran into a floating eyeball and then got paralyzed and killed from 42 hp. that sucked

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

never made it to tomb befor ein qud, this is completely sadistic dungeon design lol

got disarmed and then forced down a level to a place i could only warp out of and start the dungeon again but without one of my weapons. got thru the first strata of the game doing a reverse teleport puzzle where it just zaps you around on a timer to find it kept the teleport and added a gauntlet of traps you need tele or phase to deal with while a new enemy walks up to yu and just pulls things out of your inventory. now its added a mob that has so much dodge its impossible to hit w normal weapons and does nothing but keep you endlessly rooted so a slime can dissolve the floor under you and make you start over

having the time of my life

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

last night i finished the red rock quest and ventured out to some electrician city. oh hey what's this, a fool gate lets touch i

*teleported to Subterranean ruins and tar pools, 16 strata deep* hello mr robot sir

turn off signatures

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

as far as roguelike deaths go touching something called "the fools gate" and dying for it is relatively fair

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

djinn fire elementalist is goign great. im not even using fire spells anymore, i got gifted lightning spire and summon forest. these two spells are loving insane together lol.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

nethack notes:
- I read the manual. I'm guessing that looking up the rules for sokoban and checking the AD&D weapon list to figure out what does what damage is ok as far as the platinum for doing it with only your own notes and hints from the thread, which I'm trying. but I haven't done that yet
- I put on boots and they were cursed and of levitation. I thought I was going to starve to death but I walked over a sink and fell down and hurt myself. I guess water can remove cursed items, but the item still seems cursed. you can't kick doors open while levitating but you can use wands on them
- the "sound of someone counting money" seems to indicate a vault on the level that you can only get into by triggering a hidden teleport trap that takes you to a vault full of money. a vault guard showed up and told me to drop all my gold and he'd let me out. presumably if you have a source of teleport or are good at fighting you could get rich from this. as it is I lost all my gold. maybe after he vanished I could have gone back and stolen all the vault money but I suspect something bad would have happened and I couldn't pick things up because of levitation anyway
- sometimes it takes a really large amount of searching to find hidden doors/passages. maybe there's a trick to it

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I found another vault and went back after the vault guard disappeared. the passage disappeared behind me and I thought I'd starve, but another guard showed up and let me out. they've asked me my name every time but they say they don't know me when I answer - maybe if I pay attention to other names in here I can use one of them

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

ramza kept eating everything before I could get to it. I ate a wererat, turned into a wererat, which was bad. drank a potion, started hallucinating, it lasted a really long time, I eventually died. morgue says I was in the gnomish mines, not sure if that's minetown or not for the trophy. this game is wild, feels sort of like dcss did back in the really early days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

: Enter Grit Gate

this time i got wings, and then i got mechanical wings, in case my wings are on cooldown and i need more wings.

turn off signatures

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Arch Nemesis posted:

ramza kept eating everything before I could get to it. I ate a wererat, turned into a wererat, which was bad. drank a potion, started hallucinating, it lasted a really long time, I eventually died. morgue says I was in the gnomish mines, not sure if that's minetown or not for the trophy. this game is wild, feels sort of like dcss did back in the really early days.

Minetown is a couple levels into the mine

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arch Nemesis posted:

morgue says I was in the gnomish mines, not sure if that's minetown or not for the trophy
iirc it's a little further down, the game should tell you when you reach it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arch Nemesis posted:

nethack notes:
- the "sound of someone counting money" seems to indicate a vault on the level that you can only get into by triggering a hidden teleport trap that takes you to a vault full of money. a vault guard showed up and told me to drop all my gold and he'd let me out. presumably if you have a source of teleport or are good at fighting you could get rich from this. as it is I lost all my gold. maybe after he vanished I could have gone back and stolen all the vault money but I suspect something bad would have happened and I couldn't pick things up because of levitation anyway
if you start as the archeologist you get a pickaxe that it turns out can literally just dig through the walls of the level. I stumbled into a couple vaults this way and I'm pretty sure as long as you just scamper off fast enough the vault guard won't find you

archeologists also start with a touchstone which is a touchstone in the metallurgical sense, meaning if you use it on a gem, it tells you what kind of gem it is. this makes some of them literally worthless because it turns out they're just shiny shards of glass, but it increases the value of others by like 100-1000 fold

idk if I'm just having insanely good luck with the archeologist for some reason, the wiki says it's not a beginner friendly class, but my runs with with it have gone easily 5 times as long as the others I've tried so far, so I keep going back to it. it seems like he has better starting food and also better ways of getting more food, and easier access to money, and easier level navigation, and is not really that bad at combat?
maybe I just need to learn to use the other classes' starting equipment better

also, just a general note: lower Armor Class score is better
fuckin THAC0

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

this time i got wings, and then i got mechanical wings, in case my wings are on cooldown and i need more wings.

i jumped down a hole

turn off signatures

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Should have turned your wings on

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

: Kill a Legendary Creature

Had to use all my salve injectors fighting this flamethrowing bear.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

tbh th easiest trophy to get in the list is either three classes in tome or minetown in nethack. three classes you cn usually get in around two hours maybe three, minetown you can usually beeline straight to once you get used to th interface and find out which monsters are edible and dangerous

You can get to the Caverns of Chaos in one minute if you know where it is.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Cubone posted:

idk if I'm just having insanely good luck with the archeologist for some reason, the wiki says it's not a beginner friendly class, but my runs with with it have gone easily 5 times as long as the others I've tried so far, so I keep going back to it. it seems like he has better starting food and also better ways of getting more food, and easier access to money, and easier level navigation, and is not really that bad at combat?

Archeologist ftw, intrinsic speed is huge and it's just fun digging for gold from D1.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cubone posted:

if you start as the archeologist you get a pickaxe that it turns out can literally just dig through the walls of the level. I stumbled into a couple vaults this way and I'm pretty sure as long as you just scamper off fast enough the vault guard won't find you

archeologists also start with a touchstone which is a touchstone in the metallurgical sense, meaning if you use it on a gem, it tells you what kind of gem it is. this makes some of them literally worthless because it turns out they're just shiny shards of glass, but it increases the value of others by like 100-1000 fold

also, just a general note: lower Armor Class score is better
fuckin THAC0

wiki with th most :goonsay: poo poo on earth

quote:

The Archeologist role, especially its starting equipment, is influenced by 1954's Secret of the Incas where Harry Steele (Charlton Heston) is a dashing explorer of ancient ruins with leather jacket and fedora. Raiders of the Lost Ark's Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) was inspired by Secret of the Incas and added—in 1981—the army bag (sack) and bullwhip that this role carries to the iconic archeologist image.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

i am not gonna be fighting to keep this one lol, i hit so many walls for that record

Well I set a respectable time

But then I thought to myself "dieting hippo is a trophy psycho, he will absolutely come after this time" so I went and shaved a whole second off your time.

Have fun :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm a lot rustier on ToME than I thought lol. Got hosed up a few times in the sandworm lair and was fighting the boss of the Fortress probably earlier than I should have been which is precisely when I remembered the importance of keeping your regen/healing infusions/talents up to date. RIP Pickle Rick 2.

Also uh apparently you shouldn't rely on the inbuilt ToME screenshot function? No idea why the first couple of screenshots turned out OK. You can see the important journal entries or at least the top left of them.

(unlocks Brawler)

(unlocks Archmage)

(unlocks Cursed)

: Unlock three classes or races

: Eat the sandworm queen's heart on Adventure or Permadeath mode

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

But then I thought to myself "dieting hippo is a trophy psycho, he will absolutely come after this time" so I went and shaved a whole second off your time.

I will truly not even bother finding out but I wonder if timing is different between the pal version I played and the fox kids NA edition

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Namtab posted:

turn off signatures

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lmao

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Going to avoid worshipping Jivya for the easy trophy here, and hope I can grab a few runes before this guy dies. Going to be mad if I splat before getting 1 though

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

: Enter the Lair of the Beasts

i guess that counts. definitely had a better time after following mbt's suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

- discovered I can have my dog shoplift for me by waiting til he picks something up in a store and having him follow me out
- got wereratted again, just from getting hit this time. guess they're an "avoid at all costs" sort of enemy
- got killed again by a floating eye paralyzing me for a million turns. I guess you just die when that happens, sucks. don't know what to do about these, guess I'll just run away
- discovered that eating kobold meat damages stats
- read a scroll that blinded me for hundreds of turns. when I died it said I was temporarily blinded. status effects last so long in this game compared to crawl, they all feel permanent. maybe I need to be washing them off at fountains or something

it's frustrating that so many things in this game are "what's this? oh I guess I lose now." it's tough to tie cause and effect together sometimes so you have to get punished more than once to be sure what hosed you.