Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lunsku posted:

Inhibitor Phase felt like fanservice, unnecessary step back to an universe that was reasonably settled at this point in time, with the obligatory character throwbacks to the earlier and better novels. The general mood of the Inhibitor universe is still there and that bit works, I did enjoy the pressing end times vibe bit of it. But otherwise, just unnecessary.

No clue about Machine Vendetta, but I will pick that one up once I see it. The first two Prefect Dreyfuss novels were quite enjoyable enough.

Machine Vendetta is pretty much the same. Not the best of Reynolds, but still ok.

Revenger series was really the lowpoint of his career. Just because it is YA, doesn't mean it has to be bad!
Only series/books from him I couldn't finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Finished Exordia last night. I loved the mixing of the "fantasy" religious elements and the hard sci-fi. Unfortunately the humor and sometimes tongue in cheek writing style really didn't click with me (no offense Battuta, just not my cup of tea). I do wonder if I just had too many preconceived notions about what a sci-fi book from the author of the Baru books would be like. It does make happy though because whenever I experience something that goes deep on such specific mixtures of topics I know that it's going to hit just right for someone and be their favorite thing ever.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Some of my favorite SFF audiobooks, a couple have already been mentioned. Just going through my Audible account for stuff where I really liked the narration.

Piranesi
Murderbot series
Locked Tomb series (not great for casual listening though)
Golden Enclaves series (or really most of Novik's stuff)
Wayfarers series
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Bobiverse series
Eifelheim
Pushing Ice
House of Suns
Both Goblin Emperor and the other books in the same world

And not really SFF but still discussed here sometimes (and my favorite of all time), the Aubrey Maturin series read by Patrick Tull.

Simon Vance is probably my favorite audiobook narrator, he's done a lot of sf/f and thriller stuff and has that old timey British crooner voice that is just so soothing to listen to. The two books I have of his in my Audible library is Viriconium by M. John Harrison and Jerusalem by Alan Moore.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Number9Dream by David Mitchell - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SMGOC/

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Simon Vance is probably my favorite audiobook narrator, he's done a lot of sf/f and thriller stuff and has that old timey British crooner voice that is just so soothing to listen to. The two books I have of his in my Audible library is Viriconium by M. John Harrison and Jerusalem by Alan Moore.

I'm assuming you like his A-M narration better than Tull?

I think I've actually listened to something by Vance but I'm not sure what it was.

Edit: Ah it was Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. Which I also recommend listening to until it gets too dumb.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Issaries posted:

Machine Vendetta is pretty much the same. Not the best of Reynolds, but still ok.

Revenger series was really the lowpoint of his career. Just because it is YA, doesn't mean it has to be bad!
Only series/books from him I couldn't finish.

I thought Revenger was a good series and Machine Vendetta good. Glad to not have to care about inhibitors.

Donaldson has a new independent series ( or well finished it). First book was decent but didn’t make me want to continue the series, kinda like Baru.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm assuming you like his A-M narration better than Tull?

The one true Tull can never be bettered.

I will not be taking questions, as none is necessary.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

The one true Tull can never be bettered.

I will not be taking questions, as none is necessary.

You won't see me disagreeing.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

You won't see me disagreeing.

They're all Ric Jerrom in the UK, as far as I know, and he does a really good job.

Other really good audiobooks I've enjoyed: Peter Kenny doing the Culture series, Adjoa Andoh doing anything but especially The Power and The Old Drift, Jonathan Cecil doing Wodehouse, everybody doing How High We Go In The Dark, Michael Jayston reading le Carré, Ruth Ozeki reading her own work, Simon Vance reading Imagica.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
There was something about the First Law books that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I’ve now realized that they remind me of various fantasy video games.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im curious if they are games released before or after First Law's first trilogy came out.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

FPyat posted:

There was something about the First Law books that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I’ve now realized that they remind me of various fantasy video games.

The thing I enjoyed about First Law was that after reading the first book I thought it was a well written but extremely generic fantasy story but by the end of the third book everything has been subverted in an interesting way. That kind of made it difficult to pitch though because you kind of need to read the whole trilogy before you see why it's so good.

How do people feel about the follow up trilogy? I'm prob gonna give it a go soon.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The stand alones between the two trilogies are really good, the second trilogy is entertaining but not as satisfying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The second one happens during an industrial revolution right? That's why I never read it, keep you guns out of my sword fantasy thanks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ccs posted:

The stand alones between the two trilogies are really good, the second trilogy is entertaining but not as satisfying.

Agree on the stand-alones but I felt the 2nd trilogy was very satisfying. Specifically Bayaz finally getting his comeuppance

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

zoux posted:

The second one happens during an industrial revolution right? That's why I never read it, keep you guns out of my sword fantasy thanks.

See this actually makes me more interested in it.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

zoux posted:

It takes place during an Industrial Revolution, but the firearm technology is dated by comparison. They’re just getting the hang of cannons and there are no personal firearms. Everybody on an individual level still fights with swords, spears, axes, etc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The gunpowder empires were shootin poo poo up in very cool fashion. Super underused in fantasy imo. Camel-mounted swivel guns :hellyeah:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Say whatever else you will about it but I really like powder magic and the stuff that trilogy did with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone in here remember when I read Jack Chalker's Web of the Chozen?

Well, while Jack Chalker is notorious for writing weird body horror stuff and shoving his fetishes into books, this one bothered me immensely and it still follows me around - the concept of being turned into a truly alien form, adapting to it, then deciding unilaterally that it's a better form to be in than the human one - to the point where the final third of the book is the escalating infection of the entire human species with the "turn into this species" virus, and it's presented as a great ending.

Weird author, weird book, great body horror with a really dissonant tone.

Anyways, yesterday I did psychic damage to myself by finding and then reading CM Koseman's All Tomorrows: A Billion Year Chronicle of the Myriad Species and Mixed Fortunes of Man.

It's free on his website, and it's an... a weird combination of Olaf Stapledon's macro-scale stuff with Barlowe's Expedition, with a deep fusion of horror.

The gist is, humans go to the stars, and the first aliens they find are the godlike Qu, who promptly wage war, conquer humanity, and go nuts with the genetic engineering, twisting the human form into all kinds of weird, sometimes-stunted creatures. They're treated like pets, toys, experiments, tools, prisoners, and worse, and - billions of years later, the Qu just up and leave, abandoning their creations to their fates.

The only humans to escape this atrocity are forced to mutate themselves so they literally can't go back to planets due to gravity, and so - it's a future where there are humans, but nowhere near as we know them. And it's presented in this very... gleeful hands-off cruelty? I don't know, I just - I was left so unsettled by this book, and the youtube animations are even worse/better. They're so well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWvfKcfuDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxxRRJnGG0

I - I'm just, there's something about this entire concept, the invasion, the twisting, the ruined (or not ruined) remnants - and this isn't even getting into the back half of it, where it gets weirder. I haven't been left this disquieted in a while. I'm really happy I could stop reading it and go hug my partner and dog afterwards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

The gunpowder empires were shootin poo poo up in very cool fashion. Super underused in fantasy imo. Camel-mounted swivel guns :hellyeah:

This is one of the two reasons why the only people I've seen write good steampunk (present company excepted to the extent such terms may apply) have been China mieville and Michael swanwyck. They both realize it should be fantasy not science fiction. (The other reason is they both realize you can't write Victorian fiction without tackling issues of social class, capitalism, and imperialism head on).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I - I'm just, there's something about this entire concept, the invasion, the twisting, the ruined (or not ruined) remnants - and this isn't even getting into the back half of it, where it gets weirder. I haven't been left this disquieted in a while. I'm really happy I could stop reading it and go hug my partner and dog afterwards.

I short listed that one for some.botm polls a few times but don't think it ever won

Anyway this is canon:

https://youtu.be/IhYmF02SqTg?si=uk1fXlhGqgNBV11i

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here remember when I read Jack Chalker's Web of the Chozen?

Well, while Jack Chalker is notorious for writing weird body horror stuff and shoving his fetishes into books, this one bothered me immensely and it still follows me around - the concept of being turned into a truly alien form, adapting to it, then deciding unilaterally that it's a better form to be in than the human one - to the point where the final third of the book is the escalating infection of the entire human species with the "turn into this species" virus, and it's presented as a great ending.

Weird author, weird book, great body horror with a really dissonant tone.

Anyways, yesterday I did psychic damage to myself by finding and then reading CM Koseman's All Tomorrows: A Billion Year Chronicle of the Myriad Species and Mixed Fortunes of Man.

It's free on his website, and it's an... a weird combination of Olaf Stapledon's macro-scale stuff with Barlowe's Expedition, with a deep fusion of horror.

The gist is, humans go to the stars, and the first aliens they find are the godlike Qu, who promptly wage war, conquer humanity, and go nuts with the genetic engineering, twisting the human form into all kinds of weird, sometimes-stunted creatures. They're treated like pets, toys, experiments, tools, prisoners, and worse, and - billions of years later, the Qu just up and leave, abandoning their creations to their fates.

The only humans to escape this atrocity are forced to mutate themselves so they literally can't go back to planets due to gravity, and so - it's a future where there are humans, but nowhere near as we know them. And it's presented in this very... gleeful hands-off cruelty? I don't know, I just - I was left so unsettled by this book, and the youtube animations are even worse/better. They're so well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWvfKcfuDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxxRRJnGG0

I thought All Tomorrows was pretty neat right up until the point where we encounter the big brained future humans who have mastered the dark art of zero-g fart propulsion.

Before I stumbled upon All Tomorrows I was also kind of unaware that there's apparently a whole niche sci-fi biology subgenre that's all about coming up with weird ways in which humanity will evolve in the far future.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
All Tomorrows is an interesting one because it’s not like Dougal Dixon’s pioneering horrorshow Man After Man wasn’t also extremely bleak. I mean it had one branch of posthumanity swinging back by earth without even realising it was their original homeworld, and causally abducting their distant cousins to use as a lobotomised manual workforce.

All Tomorrows, by contrast, felt more 40k. That’s a bit reductive but it ends up with a few distinct big post-human factions taking a ‘there is only war’ approach and being ultra-fundamentalist about it. Same applies to the actual aliens. It’s simpler in a way, more space opera, and to my mind a bit less compelling for it (although the body horror is nearly as good as Dixon’s and I quite like the ending).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GhastlyBizness posted:

All Tomorrows is an interesting one because it’s not like Dougal Dixon’s pioneering horrorshow Man After Man wasn’t also extremely bleak. I mean it had one branch of posthumanity swinging back by earth without even realising it was their original homeworld, and causally abducting their distant cousins to use as a lobotomised manual workforce.

All Tomorrows, by contrast, felt more 40k. That’s a bit reductive but it ends up with a few distinct big post-human factions taking a ‘there is only war’ approach and being ultra-fundamentalist about it. Same applies to the actual aliens. It’s simpler in a way, more space opera, and to my mind a bit less compelling for it (although the body horror is nearly as good as Dixon’s and I quite like the ending).

Which is the one that spun out the "Seasons' Greetings" meme?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Chairman Capone posted:

Which is the one that spun out the "Seasons' Greetings" meme?

Man After Man. All Tomorrows is frequently good body horror but the art is more alien, whereas Dixon gets insane mileage from creepy post-humans that are more or less weird hairy dudes.

The author of All Tomorrows also did some really quite detailed exobiology stuff for a world called Snaia, under the (awesome) pen name Nemo Ramjet. It’s tricky to find online but dude knows how to make things alien and it’s interesting to see how far you can stretch something while still tying the concept back to Earth animals, however loosely.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

gvibes posted:

I think Assassin's Blade. It is allegedly less smutty than some of the others.

I've been reading the ACOTAR series for a book club and it hasn't been what I expected tbh. It's a lot more flirting and insinuation and lead up instead of just being smut. I'm in the middle of book 2 and there's been maybe three real sex scenes that I've read so far?

What really got me is that there is a a lot of trauma depicted, and not just interpersonal relationship trauma, but trauma from the way the main character is brought up, and some things she choose/was forced to do for the more political/worldly side of the story. I've only read one Malazan book so far, but the ACOTAR main character is in a darker headspace than anyone in Gardens of the Moon.

The Magic isn't has hard-magic as Brandon Sanderson's stuff, but book 2 is definitely exploring more of the magic so that's been pretty fun as I love to see different magic systems.

I'm not gonna tell anyone they have to read it, but it's not what most sci-fi/fantasy readers will tell you it is.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I read Tchaikovsky's City of Last Chances and House of Open Wounds after the recommendations of various posts a few weeks (?) ago. They're both good. I like how tidy House of Open Wounds is; it feels very narratively complete for a story in a way that many sci-fi writers don't really accomplish.

I decided to read some short stories afterwards; after choosing two random Clarkesworld story and realizing they were by the same author, I dug more into Isabel Kim's ouevre. She's written quite a few short stories, all published online. https://www.isabel.kim/work

I enjoy them. Termination Stories for the Cyberpunk Dystopia Protagonist is a cool piece, that is evocative of 36 Streets with a Cool and Sexy Asian Girl in a Cyberpunk Story and table-top gaming, especially *World hacks. Homecoming is Just Another Word for the Sublimation of the Self is one of the best "What does it mean to be an Asian American" stories I've read. The Narrative Implications of Your Untimely Death is also good; I think it has some interesting things to say on media consumption on 2023 in a subversion of the murdergame story that is/was so appealing then.

Her stories have interesting sci-fi ideas, written well, often are weird in the good way, and are thought-provoking and leaves you wanting just a taste more in that way a good short story does.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 5, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1764721423178682641

This is absolutely bonkers to me. I never thought that Frank Herbert's extremely convoluted and complicated sci fi epic could be adapted well (with ample evidence thereof) or be a huge hit but here we are. Messiah is definitely happening. There's a non-zero chance that we get a God Emperor movie. Dune mania is sweeping the nation. My little sister is reading Dune - she was a cheerleader in high school.

Film studios always chase trends, so what unfilmable scif/fantasy epics would you like to see Hollywood drop $250m on? Gene Wolfe estate's phone is blowing up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How many dune movies do I have to sit through to trick the studio into trying to adapt the prequels?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should jump straight to the prequels.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mystes posted:

How many dune movies do I have to sit through to trick the studio into trying to adapt the prequels?

What prequels?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zoux posted:

Film studios always chase trends, so what unfilmable scif/fantasy epics would you like to see Hollywood drop $250m on? Gene Wolfe estate's phone is blowing up.

The Abolition of Species by Dietmar Dath would be just nuts if put to film, but at the exact same time if anyone films it I fear it will turn out like that recent CGI Cats abomination. :(

Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, while schlock, is fun scholock and I'd love to see those space battles put to film tho. That would be a lot easier to film too!

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

zoux posted:

Honestly I want a legitimate Macross live action. Now that's a quagmire.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I finally found a quasi sci fi shirt story that I’ve been trying to find for years (The Law, by Robert Coates), but I have no idea what the ending means. Any ideas?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Book of the New Sun would make for a pretty kickass TV series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd enjoy some Stainless Steel Rat movies. Kind of a different thing but hey.

And agreed from a couple pages ago that Raymond Chandler and Pratchett rule, shouts out. And always agree Macross rules, and especially the music of Macross 7 (got me into Yoshiki Fukuyama oh yes)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1764721423178682641

Still desperately want someone to spend 250m on Julian May’s exile saga - it’ll never happen but I can dream.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

In my head I've always thought that Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan would make a great sci-fi horror miniseries a la The Terror. Probably way too niche for something like that to ever happen, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

xiw posted:

Still desperately want someone to spend 250m on Julian May’s exile saga - it’ll never happen but I can dream.

The psychic space elf rape camps might be a tricky sell in 2024