Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

500excf type r posted:

You can't unwind the clock, those forests are long gone and all you can do now is manage what is left. I have sugar maples that are over 200 years old, should they suffer because some young upstart white pine wants to grow crooked?

I also have sugar maples that compete with pines, and I care about the maples because I tap them but I think this is weird reasoning. Removing human concerns why is a new pine less important than an old maple? It won't live as long, granted, and the old growth forests are gone and not coming back at least until most of the humans are gone and weird new kinds of trees evolve, but forest management that's geared towards anything other than wildfire control (the need for which is largely an artifact of human activity in the first place....) seems like its more or less based on a human conception of what a forest should be.

should a young pine suffer because some crochtety old sugar maple has thicc roots? Forests are a constant state of warfare between different species, human intervention is taking sides. I just make popcorn. (And clear and burn downed/dead stuff as fuel, and also deal with anything that poses a serious hazard to the use of our handful of trails I maintain -- but that's all human use aesthetic stuff and chopping up fuel, I think it's all basically immoral stewardship of the parcel we have here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I also have sugar maples that compete with pines, and I care about the maples because I tap them but I think this is weird reasoning. Removing human concerns why is a new pine less important than an old maple? It won't live as long, granted, and the old growth forests are gone and not coming back at least until most of the humans are gone and weird new kinds of trees evolve, but forest management that's geared towards anything other than wildfire control (the need for which is largely an artifact of human activity in the first place....) seems like its more or less based on a human conception of what a forest should be.

should a young pine suffer because some crochtety old sugar maple has thicc roots? Forests are a constant state of warfare between different species, human intervention is taking sides. I just make popcorn. (And clear and burn downed/dead stuff as fuel, and also deal with anything that poses a serious hazard to the use of our handful of trails I maintain -- but that's all human use aesthetic stuff and chopping up fuel, I think it's all basically immoral stewardship of the parcel we have here).

for nature sometimes it’s war sometimes it’s peace (mycorrhizal fungi etc). for capitalism it’s always war all the time. exploit and kill. bomb bomb bomb. it’s anti human and anti nature. we are just another animal that the natural system could more or less accommodate, like termite mounds altering microclimates in the desert. capitalism’s alterations are globally systemic.

silver lining, this will be a great reset for the biosphere. a chance to try again. perhaps plastics reduce it back to a microbial start, and life rebuilds a plastics rich biosphere. maybe not. cest la vie.

mags has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Mar 6, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008

ugh lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
all the plastics will have to form the basis for new deposits of carbon, since we soaked up all the stuff that was stored before microbes invented a way to eat lignin. future cycles of human civilization will have smaller and smaller batches of free energy to industrialize with. eventually, one of them might figure out a way to do it without cooking themselves to death

mags
May 30, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

all the plastics will have to form the basis for new deposits of carbon, since we soaked up all the stuff that was stored before microbes invented a way to eat lignin. future cycles of human civilization will have smaller and smaller batches of free energy to industrialize with. eventually, one of them might figure out a way to do it without cooking themselves to death

too late we are cooking to death

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
future cycles of human civilization lol

mags
May 30, 2008

well its not tha tbad yet, the flowers are blooming

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this is a very good example of imperialist propaganda contaminating your understanding of nature. mutual aid has always been a factor in evolution. we are all the product of cooperation and mutual flourishing much as we produce life and help it flourish with our cooperation.

yes we’re currently part of an ecocidal culture, but since that’s obviously unsustainable, why would anyone regard its activities as natural or permanent?

I mean, I know why but it’s not because it’s true.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bawfuls posted:

not really your point but the pre-Colombian Amazon civilizations did extensive forestry of the rainforest
that was my point, that an entire civilization existed

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Wakko posted:

future cycles of human civilization lol

I was thinking of the hypotheses that humans had a population crunch down to a few thousand individuals because of the Toba eruption. Global human civilization as we know it is done for, but I don't think it's impossible to imagine scattered, small pockets of humans surviving until conditions are better in a few thousand years.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

SixteenShells posted:

I was thinking of the hypotheses that humans had a population crunch down to a few thousand individuals because of the Toba eruption. Global human civilization as we know it is done for, but I don't think it's impossible to imagine scattered, small pockets of humans surviving until conditions are better in a few thousand years.

Which conditions will improve, and on what timescale?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lol the Toba eruption caused a catastrophic -3.5C deviance in the mean causing a worldwide ice age that almost killed us

——

look +2C is nothing, nothing to be concerned about; if we keep it there it’s fine consume and vote

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
hot = good
cold = bad

Simple as

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
the Toba eruption lasted 14 days. how long have we been erupting?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

Which conditions will improve, and on what timescale?

Man I dont loving know. call it 50,000 years and and we might have stable enough local climates that a small regional trading network can start up in the northernmost bits of Russia.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

someone should start a Foundation cult dedicated to preserving scientific knowledge (and in particular the reams of evidence that human activity caused the calamity) through the post collapse dark ages

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Lotta folk still in bargaining about Venus 2 I see smdh

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if we crash hard and fast enough maybe we can get lucky and avoid Venus 2

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

The Protagonist posted:

Lotta folk still in bargaining about Venus 2 I see smdh

humans are like awful little rats, sometimes. some of the estimates of how low human breeding populations can get are as low as 40 breeding pairs. For as apocalyptic as it's going to get, I don't feel comfortable confidently saying there won't even be a hundred humans left on the planet somewhere.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Popoto posted:

the Toba eruption lasted 14 days. how long have we been erupting?

buddy,

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bawfuls posted:

someone should start a Foundation cult dedicated to preserving scientific knowledge (and in particular the reams of evidence that human activity caused the calamity) through the post collapse dark ages

just loving build this on top of wall street

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

if humanity vanished tomorrow, along with all our emissions technology, this world would continue to heat up for at least a few more centuries before anything like an equilibrium state could possibly emerge.

The oceans are undergoing a phase change in front of our eyes, on timescales smaller than a decade. The damage has been done.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mdemone posted:

if humanity vanished tomorrow, along with all our emissions technology, this world would continue to heat up for at least a few more centuries before anything like an equilibrium state could possibly emerge.

The oceans are undergoing a phase change in front of our eyes, on timescales smaller than a decade. The damage has been done.

Hmm, I guess that means it's time to enjoy my treats while they remain. :buddy:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

correct but as to whether that’s enough to push the planet into Venus 2 territory is still an open question

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mdemone posted:

The damage has been done.

we can do more

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

correct but as to whether that’s enough to push the planet into Venus 2 territory is still an open question

agreed. I tend to think there isn't an equilibrium region of parameter space between here and there, and that we are falling off a saddle point, but we can't be sure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

right so in the space provided by that uncertainty, a Foundation-like cult to preserve the history that brought us here would be as useful an endeavor as anything else one could do, short of [REDACTED] maybe

How!
Oct 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

bawfuls posted:

oops! all Game Informer!

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

bawfuls posted:

And deny everyone the final reward at the end of the great work???

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1765393958803517447/photo/1

I like how the line crabbed for a bit to trick everyone into thinking that things would go back to normal just for a few weeks and then went back to business as usual lmao

Argentum has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Mar 6, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

folks if you build an archive of human knowledge, let me assure you right now that the joyous work will not be complete until it lies in ruin

mags
May 30, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

humans are like awful little rats, sometimes.

can you point on a globe at the “sometimes”

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Argentum posted:

I like how the line crabbed for a bit to trick everyone into thinking that things would go back to normal just for a few weeks and then went back to business as usual lmao

yo is that equipment calibrated properly?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Argentum posted:

time to find out what's like living in the global climate equivalent of a transition from laminar to turbulent flow

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Argentum posted:

It's a number, it's supposed to go up

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Popoto posted:

lol the Toba eruption caused a catastrophic -3.5C deviance in the mean causing a worldwide ice age that almost killed us

——

look +2C is nothing, nothing to be concerned about; if we keep it there it’s fine consume and vote

We're due another ice age pretty soon (in geological terms) no matter what we do, so why even bother?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Argentum posted:

lines only crouch in order to jump higher

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Freezer posted:

We're due another ice age pretty soon (in geological terms) no matter what we do, so why even bother?

Nope, we have officially broken the Milankovitch cycle

mags
May 30, 2008

Freezer posted:

- libs on venus a few billion years ago

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
Anybody have any resources for building resilience in a municipality, eg., a US county? I know there are some decroissance/ degrowth works addressing this for other polities... Any case studies from places previously hollowed out by the loss of industry/ unmanageable costs of infrastructure? I know Detroit is trying some stuff, but I’m especially interested in smaller municipalities (altough if there are any relevant works re: Detroit, I’d still appreciate seeing those). Both socio-political and material frameworks would be helpful

I’m trying to run a study group that looks at responses through various lenses, and while there’s plenty about the homestead level, and plenty on the National/international level, I find myself coming up short at the municipal/ state level.

Thanks goons, stay safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Argentum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjD3EVC1-zU