Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

OIL PANIC posted:

Anybody have any resources for building resilience in a municipality, eg., a US county? I know there are some decroissance/ degrowth works addressing this for other polities... Any case studies from places previously hollowed out by the loss of industry/ unmanageable costs of infrastructure? I know Detroit is trying some stuff, but I’m especially interested in smaller municipalities (altough if there are any relevant works re: Detroit, I’d still appreciate seeing those). Both socio-political and material frameworks would be helpful

I’m trying to run a study group that looks at responses through various lenses, and while there’s plenty about the homestead level, and plenty on the National/international level, I find myself coming up short at the municipal/ state level.

Thanks goons, stay safe

The stuff Detroit is trying mostly consists of handouts to billionaires and cutting property taxes to keep people from being priced out of their own homes by the post-pandemic RE bubble, do you want me to take some pictures of blight for you? There was a program for demolishing condemned houses but it got underfunded despite being a vanity thing for the mayor.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bawfuls posted:

not really your point but the pre-Colombian Amazon civilizations did extensive forestry of the rainforest

They were pretty good at it too. Large swathes of the Amazon basin are covered in terra preta, a human-made soil that's remarkably good at absorbing and retaining nutrients and provides excellent crop yields without the need for introduced fertilisers. It's kind of crazy that modern agri-tech is just beginning to figure out why it's so good at what it does.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OIL PANIC posted:

Anybody have any resources for building resilience in a municipality, eg., a US county? I know there are some decroissance/ degrowth works addressing this for other polities... Any case studies from places previously hollowed out by the loss of industry/ unmanageable costs of infrastructure? I know Detroit is trying some stuff, but I’m especially interested in smaller municipalities (altough if there are any relevant works re: Detroit, I’d still appreciate seeing those). Both socio-political and material frameworks would be helpful

I’m trying to run a study group that looks at responses through various lenses, and while there’s plenty about the homestead level, and plenty on the National/international level, I find myself coming up short at the municipal/ state level.

Thanks goons, stay safe

George Monbiot's Out of the Wreckage has some case studies.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

They'll be jailed if they say genocide is bad.

life comes at u fast

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

cash crab posted:

tulips are sprouting in my front yard. i have to feel like maybe it’s too early but what do i know

It's snowing on the tulips and robins in my yard today

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

500excf type r posted:

Healthy forests require effort which sometimes means culling bad trees, otherwise the bad trees ruin the good trees. Hope that helps

Last week I had a bad tree break and take out 6 good trees including two cherry trees

The jack pine should not have ever been allowed to grow so big

That's a swamp you friggin noob. Shrek-rear end mfer.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That's a swamp you friggin noob. Shrek-rear end mfer.

It's 38C Hinkley Gravelly Loam 3-15% grade, more or less the second best soil type locally and was pasture and farm land for hundreds of years

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

OIL PANIC posted:

Thanks goons, stay safe

It's around 15 years out of date, but check out Post Carbon Cities by Daniel Lerch. There should be a free copy floating around on Resilience.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

500excf type r posted:

It's 38C Hinkley Gravelly Loam 3-15% grade, more or less the second best soil type locally and was pasture and farm land for hundreds of years

lotta words instead of just saying swamp :colbert:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Apologies, it is now too inexpensive to save the planet so no one is going to bother unless the profit margins improve.

https://twitter.com/financialpost/status/1765033301553623348

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1765476590371426653

hmmmm

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

a mere 18% increase over my lifetime. i'm sure we can do better

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how many days till we hit the year of records

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
calling it now, we're going +1 C / year for 5 years straight

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
5 years for the death of all civilization? drat, that's not a lot of time for games

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My video card is doing its part.

A_Druish_Princess
Jan 12, 2024

Car Hater posted:

The stuff Detroit is trying mostly consists of handouts to billionaires and cutting property taxes to keep people from being priced out of their own homes by the post-pandemic RE bubble, do you want me to take some pictures of blight for you? There was a program for demolishing condemned houses but it got underfunded despite being a vanity thing for the mayor.

Mayor also got busted due to giving contracts for demo and removal of dirt and debris to his buddies, who ended up not actually doing the work anyways....at least we have a lot of new parking lots around LSA

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lotta words instead of just saying swamp :colbert:

It's actually an "excessively drained soil" and it being swampy is because of ridiculous rainfall from the changing climate and being in a valley where the runoff collects. If you look carefully in the background of the bottom photo, there's a storm drain that just dumps on the ground where there is no natural waterway which is not ideal.

"DRAINAGE AND SATURATED HYDRAULIC CONDUCTIVITY: Excessively drained. Surface runoff is negligible through low. Saturated hydraulic conductivity is high or very high.

USE AND VEGETATION: Cleared areas are used for hay, pasture, and silage corn. In the southern Connecticut River Valley, Hinckley soils are used for growing tobacco and truck crops and in eastern Massachusetts, truck crops. Most areas are forested, brush land or used as urban land. Northern red, black, white, scarlet and scrub oak, eastern white and pitch pine, eastern hemlock, and gray birch are the common trees. Unimproved pasture and idle land support hardhack, little bluestem, bracken fern, sweet fern, and low bush blueberry."

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Scientist think that only half of the increase since 2006 is attributable to direct human sources(landfills, leakage, cow burps, whatever the hell you call the gas that doesn't burn when you light it)!!! We're only going to go up from here!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

how many days till we hit the year of records

The North Atlantic hit it a day or two ago, all oceans between 60 north and 60 south will hit it on the 14th

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SixteenShells posted:

Man I dont loving know. call it 50,000 years and and we might have stable enough local climates that a small regional trading network can start up in the northernmost bits of Russia.

Recovery after the end-permian mass extinction took about 5 to 50 million years :)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

500excf type r posted:

It's actually an "excessively drained soil" and it being swampy is because of ridiculous rainfall from the changing climate and being in a valley where the runoff collects. If you look carefully in the background of the bottom photo, there's a storm drain that just dumps on the ground where there is no natural waterway which is not ideal.

"DRAINAGE AND SATURATED HYDRAULIC CONDUCTIVITY: Excessively drained. Surface runoff is negligible through low. Saturated hydraulic conductivity is high or very high.

USE AND VEGETATION: Cleared areas are used for hay, pasture, and silage corn. In the southern Connecticut River Valley, Hinckley soils are used for growing tobacco and truck crops and in eastern Massachusetts, truck crops. Most areas are forested, brush land or used as urban land. Northern red, black, white, scarlet and scrub oak, eastern white and pitch pine, eastern hemlock, and gray birch are the common trees. Unimproved pasture and idle land support hardhack, little bluestem, bracken fern, sweet fern, and low bush blueberry."

are you sure it's not a bog or at the very least a marsh

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

folks if you build an archive of human knowledge, let me assure you right now that the joyous work will not be complete until it lies in ruin

opening the archive of human knowledge and only then discovering that the last archivist tossed everything in favor of andrew tate videos

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao we are toast

https://x.com/erictopol/status/1765506653754101829?s=46&t=NfFUqnrTGI_gdViBS3OzCg

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maybe the lessons of industrialization will get immortalized into the religious traditions of post-collapse societies

tales of how we dug up the flesh and blood of the earth itself, burned it for centuries and in doing so murdered Gaia who in turn destroyed our great works in her death rattle

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hubbert posted:

Hmm, I guess that means it's time to enjoy my treats while they remain. :buddy:

I'm sure glad Helldivers 2 came out

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

so just so that I'm understanding

this plaque has microplastics and nanoplastics in it for 58% of people, leading to a huge increase in mortality?

owns

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The biosphere has my permission to collapse once I've had my fill of dragons dogma 2

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
wish i wasn't full of microplastics

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProfTerryHughes/status/1765119163067199854

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

starkebn posted:

I'm sure glad Helldivers 2 came out

celadon posted:

gaming while periodically glancing at the giant hourglass emblazoned with a symbol of the earth i keep ominously displayed in the living room corner

edit: l o l

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thank you to the United Nations for this amazing research, and impressive graph!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

loving horrible but given how ubiquitous and unavoidable they are, but it’s still surprising that 42% of people are walking around without microplastics in their artery plaque or whatever. i know plaque is bad whether or not it has microplastics, but what could the 42% of people be doing to avoid the microplastics?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

kreeningsons posted:

loving horrible but given how ubiquitous and unavoidable they are, but it’s still surprising that 42% of people are walking around without microplastics in their artery plaque or whatever. i know plaque is bad whether or not it has microplastics, but what could the 42% of people be doing to avoid the microplastics?

Drinking their beer out of glass bottles

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OIL PANIC posted:

Thanks goons, stay safe
Something like Microsolidarity maybe?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

kreeningsons posted:

Yeah, how do you even determine if MNPs are there?

I'm gonna start donating plasma soon. Free money + rid me of plastics seems good imo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

err posted:

Yeah, how do you even determine if MNPs are there?

I'm gonna start donating plasma soon. Free money + rid me of plastics seems good imo

Hmmm, thinking of making a startup called Bldr, where you can hook up with a naturopath who will do bloodletting to help rid the body of micro plastics and other modern toxins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

reminds me of the POS system at work that displays the day of the week as a filled in bar on a seven data point chart every time I export a sales report. is the UN running Toast??