Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kylaer posted:

That's valid, I still liked it though. And my take on the "This is a lie" is that it's Omegon telling the story, not Alpharius, and the events are otherwise truthfully described because they're cool and I want them to be true :buddy:

I like the idea of Alpharius being found first, because it also makes a lot of sense of how the early-crusade era Alpha Legion is described. It also makes a lot of sense for the Emperor to keep him secret because he's just lost all the others and has no idea what else Chaos might have planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fearless posted:

I picked up the Fabius Bile omnibus and it's pretty great. One has to appreciate a character whose arrogance is so monumental as to make a Keeper of Secrets shut the hell up.

"Names are for the sentient."

You're in for a treat, look for his most arrogant moments in books two and three.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

The one about the ultramarine turning plague marine then redeeming himself was also pretty solid and like the only instance of anything remotely like that happening in the lore from what I can tell.

In AoS there's at least one named Stormcast who was a Champion of Nurgle that got redeemed. But otherwise it's rare beyond fanfiction characters.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
In AoS a lot of Stormcast are former Champions of Chaos that have been redeemed since the Reforging process can apparently purge Chaos corruption from your soul. Even so these Stormcast are regarded with extreme suspicion by others.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Telsa Cola posted:

The one about the ultramarine turning plague marine then redeeming himself was also pretty solid and like the only instance of anything remotely like that happening in the lore from what I can tell.

this is so dumb, there's no take-backsies when you sell your soul. there's no getting off the Path To Glory.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A bunch of White Scars declared for Horus and tried to stage a coup to force the Khan to do so as well, and when he said “hm, no” they all surrendered and pledged to the throne. Some of them were executed because they had sworn an unbreakable death oath to Horus and would rather die than break it, but they willingly gave themselves up to be killed. The rest became Sagyar Mazin, basically penitents who could only gain absolution by dying in battle.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

this is so dumb, there's no take-backsies when you sell your soul. there's no getting off the Path To Glory.

Oh, he dies in an extermantius or an orbital bombardement strike that he brings to his daemon prince boss.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"Redeeming himself" in this context is doing a spiteful suicide with a bomb to take his boss with him.

And we've had multiple instances of Chaos followers getting second thoughts and peacing out before Chaos can get their hooks back in again. For example, when Fulgrim confronted Ancient Rylanor, one of the Thousand Sons chose to rather let the virus bomb detonate than allow Fulgrim any victory or satisfaction because he was such a fuckhead. Another one is from Angron, where a World Eater warlord Shahka Bloodless regains his memories for a brief instant while he's being nuked by a psychic bomb and remembers that he actually slit his own throat during Siege of Terra, but Chaos Gods didn't let him die. This time it takes, and he spends his last moment of clarity repenting and commending his soul to the Emperor.

Also: TEatD spoilers: Horus the Ascended Instrument of Chaos, after momentarily setting aside his mantle of unlimited Chaotic power to finish things Horus Lupercal, in a moment of clarity caused by getting the Astronomican lasered into him, did beg the Emperor to kill him before his Chaos juice came back and clouded his mind again

There's nobody walking around who used to be Chaos corrupted and now isn't in Wh40k. The best you get is that some weirdo Inquisitors sometimes make their acolytes temporarily possessed and then exorcise the Daemon on purpose. It produces broken-souled, hollow thing, but they are more resistant to mutation and corruption afterwards, because there's not really enough there to properly corrupt.

Warden fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 6, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I mean theres that chapter of space marines who makes that part of the initiation process.

Also the Thousand Sons in part peaced out explosively because they also felt bad for turning traitor. It wasnt all Fulgrim being a gently caress wit, and it's part of what makes the scene/story great.

"But more than anything, stronger even than Fulgrim's spite, Vistario felt Rylanor's pride and honour, the unbending core of greatness that had set him against his brothers and had seen him descend into obsessive madness beneath the surface of a dead world.

Vistario took the measure of Fulgrim, seeing nothing worthy in him.

His warriors felt the moment his decision was made.

+Primarch Fulgrim!+ sent Vistario. +Rylanor deserves better than you.+

The primarch looked up, his once bright eyes now black and filled with the darkest poison.

+He deserves better than all of us.+"

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 6, 2024

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Telsa Cola posted:

I mean theres that chapter of space marines who makes that part of the initiation process.

Ah yes, the Exorcists. I forgot about them. Wasn't the implication that it was some work of a Radical Ordo Malleus faction to make them some budget Grey Knights?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Warden posted:

Ah yes, the Exorcists. I forgot about them. Wasn't the implication that it was some work of a Radical Ordo Malleus faction to make them some budget Grey Knights?

The Exorcists may have existed before the Grey Knights were written as doing that, or maybe someone wrote them up without knowing that the Grey Knights already did that.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

LashLightning posted:

The Exorcists may have existed before the Grey Knights were written as doing that, or maybe someone wrote them up without knowing that the Grey Knights already did that.

Do the Grey Knights actually allow their initiates to be possessed and then exorcise them? I don't recall that, but I admit I could be wrong here.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Warden posted:

Do the Grey Knights actually allow their initiates to be possessed and then exorcise them? I don't recall that, but I admit I could be wrong here.

I don't think they do, they just remove so much of the original person that there's nothing left but rituals and prayers. Eventually their sheer existence repels daemons.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wiegieman posted:

I don't think they do, they just remove so much of the original person that there's nothing left but rituals and prayers. Eventually their sheer existence repels daemons.

yeah this iirc exorcists were the only chapter i knew of that literally was like yeah go deamon.

grey knights were like practically uncorruptable

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Grey Knights have anti-daemon wards engraved and silver filled into their bones which also is a reason why they are kinda a gently caress you towards the warp

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember one Chaos Daemons codex that had a blurb piece about the Changeling, and its circuitous plan that ended up making a Grey Knight Fleet purge a completely innocent fleet of civilian settlers, so as a result one Grey Knight Initiate finally got a dark seed of doubt planted in his heart that -might- make him the first to ever fall.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/07/black-library-book-of-the-year-the-son-of-the-forest/

Kind of surprised at the first pick. Especially considering 2nd and 3rd place.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/07/black-library-book-of-the-year-the-son-of-the-forest/

probably because people love the lion.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like that he just accepts the insanity of the setting and keeps on trucking.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Cooked Auto posted:

Dark Angels showing up where you don't expect them to be :thunkin:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’ll say that I liked the first 2/3 of Son of the Forest, as the Lion got acclimated to the setting and they took their time introducing different sorts of Dark Angels and Fallen. It just kinda turned to “time for the battle!!!” mush in that back stretch.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Also the book’s effect on the setting. I’ve never seen a non-limited edition hardcover get so expensive immediately.

Most hardcovers get expensive on eBay eventually, but Lion book was expensive off the jump.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also, as they point out themselves. The End and the Death vote got split 3 ways.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fearless posted:

I picked up the Fabius Bile omnibus and it's pretty great. One has to appreciate a character whose arrogance is so monumental as to make a Keeper of Secrets shut the hell up.

"Names are for the sentient."

I appreciate that Bile is mostly a heretic because he seems to think the Emperor's human supremacist outlook didn't go far enough.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Warden posted:

There's nobody walking around who used to be Chaos corrupted and now isn't in Wh40k. The best you get is that some weirdo Inquisitors sometimes make their acolytes temporarily possessed and then exorcise the Daemon on purpose. It produces broken-souled, hollow thing, but they are more resistant to mutation and corruption afterwards, because there's not really enough there to properly corrupt.

I liked the moment in one of the Indomitus books (I think?) where they set off the pariah bomb and a bunch of the Plague Marines caught in the blast are described as dying of sheer horror as they are able to objectively see what they've become.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inspector_666 posted:

I liked the moment in one of the Indomitus books (I think?) where they set off the pariah bomb and a bunch of the Plague Marines caught in the blast are described as dying of sheer horror as they are able to objectively see what they've become.

i remember one of the angron sections in gate book was just talking about how usually chaos likes when their victims at least have some vague reality of their strings and situation but have other strings to keep them from fully accepting it or fully rebelling. angeron is kinda of exception because he is just a hosed up rage monster.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

In a different series, Discworld's Wyrd Sisters, an antagonist is subject to be shown an unvarnished view of them and what they did, and they magnificently shrug it off and say they would have done the same again if they had the chance, only with more relish.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

LashLightning posted:

In a different series, Discworld's Wyrd Sisters, an antagonist is subject to be shown an unvarnished view of them and what they did, and they magnificently shrug it off and say they would have done the same again if they had the chance, only with more relish.
I want to see the alternate reality where Pratchett ended up writing for Warhammer.

https://wargamestuff.blogspot.com/2015/04/terry-pratchett.html?m=1

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The recentish nurgle books have kinda sorta implied that most Plague Marines arn't okay with how they ended up but they don’t really see any other option so welp. I imagine a good portion of that is chaos loving with their brain to allow them accept it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

orphean posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I really like Path of the Dark Eldar. I'd totally recommend it to anyone wanting more 'digging into what makes the Dark Eldar tick.' On the other hand, I found Path of the Eldar not great. Not great at all but maybe that's just because the Dark Eldar are inherently more interesting :v:

Edit: Da Big Dakka btw was amazing and I loved the Dark Eldar POV in it. Above isn't to say anything bad at all about it or Mike Brooks' depections.

I think the Craftworld have a lot that makes them interesting, but as used in the setting theres an archetypal Eldar character that almost every author uses and therefore is the most commonly encountered perception of them. Robert Rath, Gav Thorpe, and Graham Mcneill have all used her. It's a doomed Cassandra farseer who foresees a great danger but who is too arrogant and therefore is unable or unwilling to properly warn possible allies, allowing the prophesized doom to happen anyways, and they either die before they can stop it or sacrifice themselves in the process. It's a neat story on its own but its been repeated so many times It doesn't have any appeal for me anymore. Usually in their attitude authors always really play up the haughty fantasy elf angle too, and the elf part of the space elves is the least interesting aspect of them I think.

What I really like about the eldar is the real sympathetic and relatable core of the majority of their population. You are stuck living in a doomed world because of the decisions of your ancestors and have little chance of turning back the tide yourself, but you need to keep going anyways, to fall into the black hole of your despair would save nobody, and giving into your righteous fury would allow you to fill the world with tremendous violence but you'll lose everything that makes yourself in the process. Civilian life on a craftworld is still a post scarcity utopia compared to our reality and many other factions in 40k, just a utopia filled with the omnipresence of the ghosts of the dead. There's a lot of great angles you can play with too, like the stark difference between an eldar character in their real life and the compartmentalized monster they create to do violence under the war mask.

In my own craftworld I like to play up the more sinister aspects of them too, they're not an inherently cruel faction but in their singular drive to survive as a drifting diaspora there's a lot of murk to mess around in besides the more well known Eldrad kills 1 trillion humans with orks to save 1 eldar master plans. Things that have appeared in the descriptions of codexes and rpgs but haven't been touched on in stories as much like the Eldar kidnapping people out of their beds in the middle of the night because they see them as necessary to some prophecy but they dont trust the Imperium to keep them alive. I like depictions of the Eldar as affable and masterfully manipulative, they don't always need to be dismissive and proud, with their inherent psychic ability they ought to be able to know just what to always say to get on your good side and betray what you might hold dear. The ease with which they can switch their personality entirely between paths and masks should be terrifying to somebody used to a more tethered thought process too. Necrons have been really well served lately by novels that play with a mix of humanity and alien nature in their protagonists.

Also just Jes Goodwin's visual design for them really rules. I think if they gave the reins to more authors they could really shine in the fiction. There's all these different craftworlds with differing and sometimes opposing main goals for and outlooks on the galaxy and in major stories they've been explored so little. What the hecks up with Biel Tan now that its gone from an actual craftworld to a fragmented refugee fleet? Could do a whole book about that.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 7, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I want to see the alternate reality where Pratchett ended up writing for Warhammer.

That would have been loving wild, in a great way. Ah well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Roller Coast Guard posted:

"Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

"Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you."

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom."

These could easily be Darktide loading screen quotes, if they were written by the visions psyker.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Telsa Cola posted:

The recentish nurgle books have kinda sorta implied that most Plague Marines arn't okay with how they ended up but they don’t really see any other option so welp. I imagine a good portion of that is chaos loving with their brain to allow them accept it.

Nurgle is a good representation of Depression and negative emotional feedback loops. In this essay I will-

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He's coming across as a bit of a dick right now. Read the dark angels book until Angels of Caliban now. Though apparently he didn't mean to be a jerk to Luther as I thought first.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Telsa Cola posted:

The recentish nurgle books have kinda sorta implied that most Plague Marines arn't okay with how they ended up but they don’t really see any other option so welp.

Originally, Nurgle's followers are the This Is Fine dog but with tumors and tentacles instead of fire.

Tzeench represents a desperate rejection of realities, and unhinged attempts to change and control them at all costs.

Their rivalry makes sense in the context that Nurgle embodies a morbid, resigned acceptance of everything.

It doesn't always come across clearly in the lore though, because the core themes are easily overshadowed by cool mushroom wizard birds vs giant jolly sicko daemons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

moths posted:

Originally, Nurgle's followers are the This Is Fine dog but with tumors and tentacles instead of fire.

Tzeench represents a desperate rejection of realities, and unhinged attempts to change and control them at all costs.

Their rivalry makes sense in the context that Nurgle embodies a morbid, resigned acceptance of everything.

It doesn't always come across clearly in the lore though, because the core themes are easily overshadowed by cool mushroom wizard birds vs giant jolly sicko daemons.

An image of nurgle I like is that his daemons get to laugh and be jolly while most of nurgles human victims are miserable and desperate. Its a toxic love, you might say.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharkopath posted:

An image of nurgle I like is that his daemons get to laugh and be jolly while most of nurgles human victims are miserable and desperate. Its a toxic love, you might say.
This is making me wonder if they got Tim Curry to voice Nurgle at any point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In fact, have Tim Curry do all the Chaos Gods. The voice of Chaos Undivided.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

at the risk of tripleposting, I just got through the big parade scene in Malleus, and I am curious, when did Abnett write this? It has a very 9/11 sort of air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Nessus posted:

at the risk of tripleposting, I just got through the big parade scene in Malleus, and I am curious, when did Abnett write this? It has a very 9/11 sort of air.

First published in 2001.