Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
WITH slimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AND bats

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

YggiDee posted:

she's as unhinged as Laios, just in less-obvious ways.

Falin is the kid who shows you a cool bug they found

Laios is the kid who eats the bug.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tall men are weirdos with no social cues

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E; Forgot this was anime thread

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Marcille forever remembered that day as the day she befriended Falin
Falin forever remembered that day as the day she found a cool stick on the ground

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
What a very cozy and friendly show. With kill shots.

Back when I played Dungeons & Dragons, I always preferred the 8 Hour Rests over actual dungeon delving.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
having my skin crawl because an airheaded anime girl is talking.
y'all just haters and would never survive the dungeon :colbert:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I am a hater, a Saori Hayami hater.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

haypliss posted:

what the

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haypliss posted:

disgusting

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Majkol posted:

I've just watched ep 5, I've been watching the subbed version and I have to say, I really don't like Falin's japanese VA and the whole vibe of her character. It's that over the top demure, soft-spoken to the point of almost parody anime trope. It makes my skin crawl for some reason. Is the dub better?

terrible post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

even worse post

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/momota720/status/1764480560834244631

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

:perfect:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the violence is wild in this show

like it'll be pretty kid friendly and then someone just gets spurted but it's cool cuz of the resurrection thing

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah its anime

Its a lighthearted romp till it isnt.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It was published in Harta, I don't think kid friendly was ever a descriptor Ryoko Kui would've thought would get applied to it lol.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
people have to learn at some point that anime doesn't automatically equal kid friendly, especially when episode one opens with a person being eaten by a dragon. maybe they'll learn when watching namari getting her brains blown out by the undine

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they did not learn when Legend of the Overfiend or La Blue Girl or Ghost in the Shell frequently ended up in the cartoon section at Blockbuster, they're not gonna learn now. animated = for children, that's just how it be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had a cousin who owned a la blue girl t shirt.

1)given la blue girl's uh...everything, it was about as tame as it could get. Girl riding a bike, panty shot.

2)why the gently caress were la blue girl t shirts being made at any point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone saw an untapped market and it paid off.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The concept of La Blue Girl merch is very funny to me

Though to be fair to that person, Falin getting eaten is done bloodlessly and without really lingering on the act itself. I could see going "this is a fantasy story with fantasy violence but it should be basically fine for my kid" after that first episode.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zeruel posted:

people have to learn at some point that anime doesn't automatically equal kid friendly, especially when episode one opens with a person being eaten by a dragon. maybe they'll learn when watching namari getting her brains blown out by the undine

There's definitely degrees to how graphic the violence can end up being; like this is G-rated getting pierced through the chest by an arrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGlsxYcmfk&t=321s

and like, compared to a still image in the manga the big difference is the shot composition, length of scene, and amount of blood shown

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I love the dichotomy drawn by the violence in this show. Violence by people against monsters is usually cool in a stereotypically anime way, with lots of flourishes and room left in the animation and direction for midscene character moments. Violence by monsters against people is brutal, bloody, perfunctory, blink-and-you-miss it, completely unglamorous in every way.

In doing so this story does a fantastic job selling the dungeon as a character with a dual nature - half ecosystem which must be respected and coexisted with, half underground hellscape full of horrific critters that can and will serve you up an inglorious death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
^^^
Violence of sentient beings vs sentient beings being played for black comedy, too. The Orcs raiding the tavern would be shocking if it wasn't so funny how nonchalant everyone was about witnessing a slaughter.

https://twitter.com/haultrukkz/status/1765089680511635634?t=8ur-wp3VorD3zxFNaApjJQ&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
that and its willingness to bring up genocide equivalency in a show about eating EVERYTHING (just not demi humans cuz that's too weird)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Alan Smithee posted:

the violence is wild in this show

like it'll be pretty kid friendly and then someone just gets spurted but it's cool cuz of the resurrection thing

Honestly this feels like how a lot of peoples first DnD/TTRPG experience goes. it's all "LOL, I cast a funny little spell on Boblin the Goblin to turn him purple" and then it's a teary panicked rush to save your meat headed Barbarian from being swarmed. poo poo's all whimsy until Death Saves are being rolled.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And then your mage won the last fight thanks to insanely lucky rolls but now she's got a serious wound and no mana left so it's probably time to get back to town.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The chapter pages for todays episode

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ohh, I only read a brief bit of the manga ages ago, but I’ve been looking forward to this sequence being animated :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/1028pt_/status/1765613347658223910?s=46

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I always loved the bit on the surface here. Really fun to get some expansion of the world.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

symbolic posted:

terrible post
I disagree.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2024

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

what

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why are you making me read this post in the dungeon meshi thread

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
what the gently caress does any of that have to do with Falin's voice acting

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No no, you see its OK that I hate women because people hate women in worse ways in some other thread.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

No no, you see its OK that I hate women because people hate women in worse ways in some other thread.

I hate women because I dislike artistic choices that make a fictional character a lame archetype. It's a very common voice acting choice and I just don't like it.
gently caress it. You are right. I'm making GBS threads up the thread.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
e: whatever~