Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lipscomb is also struggling right now. Could see the top 2 in the ASun knocked out.

just like that the ASUN (i just figured out the branding is all capitals, which is very funny for some reason) is down to 2-4-7-10. Stetson had the tiebreaker over Lipscomb; Hatters have never actually made an NCAAT since going D1 in 1971.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Highly unlikely, but a 5-way tie atop the SEC is possible. I have no idea how tiebreakers would work if that happens.

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_ATH/status/1765207163125797060?t=Du60xFjmnnxr84dVIo9ZuA&s=19

It’s so dumb that they don’t use tiebreakers for the regular season championship but do for seeding in the tournament.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

trevorreznik posted:

I think this is over , Purdue stopped bricking 3s. Maybe the Illini can channel the bulls but I doubt it

Edit : God damnit I am so sick of losing to Purdue

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

elentar posted:

Conference tourneys starting today, in order of NCAA relevance:

• The Patriot League has been trending downward for several seasons and probably bottomed out this year. Colgate has consistently been the Patriot’s best team since Bucknell’s program fell off a cliff and this year more than ever; they have home-court advantage should sweep through to the autobid but they have contrived to lose two conference games at home this year. If Colgate doesn’t win it, whoever upsets them stands a good chance of being the worst team in the field, everyone else is sub-270 KP.

• Solid enough year for the Horizon, though without producing any one standout team. You could see any team seeds 1-8 take this one, and the autobid will be the only one. Once they shed the cellar dwellers in the preliminary round, this one has a decent chance to be game for game the best tournament outside the power conferences. It’ll be campus sites till the semis then Indianapolis after that, so no real home advantage for anyone either.

• The Sun Belt has a strong narrative line coming in, with James Madison looking for a third and final chance to beat Appalachian State this year, and Appy maybe still needing the autobid to get in. (Really though it would be a crime to put in like an 8th place power conference over either of these teams.) Troy, Louisiana Lafayette, and Arkansas State are all good enough to cause problems. Despite the two best teams being nestled among beautiful mountains, In a very on-brand move for the conference every game will be in Pensacola, high in the running for worst American city.

I'm loving these posts btw, thanks

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Milovan Drecun posted:

I'm loving these posts btw, thanks

hey, right on cue

March 6

The Northeast is rock bottom in conference rankings this year, underperforming even the SWAC and MEAC. Fully two-thirds of the conference is sub-300 KP. Merrimack and Central Connecticut State tied for the league lead and split their season series so it’ll probably come down to one of them unless Sacred Heart goes on a run; either way the winner is destined for a play-in game. Campus sites throughout with CCSU having home court advantage; it would be Merrimack’s first bid in their first year of eligibility after not being able to cash in on their NEC tourney win last year.

The Ohio Valley lost out probably as much as anyone else in the last round of conference realigning, and they don’t really have any single potentially terrifying bracket buster like in years past. They also stagger the bracket so the 1 and 2 seeds get byes into the semis, so even though Morehead State is the best team by the numbers, they’ll have to play an extra game and probably fight through both Tennessee Martin and Little Rock to get the autobid. The OVC will also have the distinction of their champion being the first team into the bracket this year.

Been a good year for the Big South, maybe their best ever statistically: fewer atrocious teams than usual and a league leader in High Point that is probably as good as any Big South team since mid-00s Winthrop. The tournament is also in High Point—“the furniture capital of the world”—so there’s a good chance the Panthers get through to their first ever NCAAT; they have the sort of offense that can give a high seed absolute fits. If it’s not them, then it’ll probably be UNC-Asheville but almost any team here could go on a run.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2024

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Coleman Hawkins losing his Senior Night game :cool:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The ball is rounder than I'm used to, but it's a nice color. I can get used to this sport.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
SEC CHAMPS BABY

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Big but hideous win for MSU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m going to be really pissed if BYU sweeps us this year. loving hate BYU.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tennessee is absolutely terrifying

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
The UConn Huskies

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

There are four teams I could see wining the national championship this year. It’s going to be funny when two of them don’t make it out of the first weekend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bird in a Blender posted:

There are four teams I could see wining the national championship this year. It’s going to be funny when two of them don’t make it out of the first weekend.

Purdue and?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mcmagic posted:

Purdue and?

We will be both the teams.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thank loving god ISU beat BYU. Undefeated at home first time since the 2000-01.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Poque posted:

Tennessee is absolutely terrifying

Don't worry, the Barnes time is approaching

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mcmagic posted:

Purdue and?

Houston could choke because they're so banged up. We are talking chokers though, right, because I have no faith in Purdue.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The most important lesson our glorious alma mater teaches is how to cope with disappointment.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Iowa’s chance at getting a double bye in the men’s tournament is still alive which is insane

They need to beat illinois at home on the last day of the season and need some help (northwestern, Nebraska and Wisconsin need to drop another) but Jesus big ten how do you keep letting iowa do this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/njdotcom/status/1765739943890972925

Me as the sad Wolverine meme.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Don't worry, the Barnes time is approaching

i think Dalton Knecht is such a game changer and a player Tennessee really has never had that it might make Barnes postseason struggles moot. At least I hope!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Big XII (maybe co) Champions, baby :toot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pepperdine is up 64-13 at the moment on Pacific in the WCC tourney. That feels basically unheard of in D1 men's ball.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Sorry guys I had Pacific +10.5

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pepperdine is up 64-13 at the moment on Pacific in the WCC tourney. That feels basically unheard of in D1 men's ball.

haha I haven’t gotten to my laptop yet to post today’s stuff but theres a bit on how epically bad Pacific is

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

There’s a sort of cruel irony to this year’s Pac-12 women’s basketball season: the league is absolutely outstanding this year, with three teams in the top 10 going into the conference tournament and three more ranked that have played well and feature some soon to be All-American stars. A season full of tough exciting games that, because of the fuckups that led to the conference breaking up in the first place, basically no one watched legally because it was almost entirely broadcast on the PAC-12 Network. Next year Juju Watkins will be playing Codie McMahon in the Big 10, UCLA will probably have a regular season game against what remains of Iowa, Stanford will get to rule a much weaker ACC, Utah and Colorado will immediately slot into the top of the Big 12 and poor Oregon State will be stuck playing in the West Coast Conference.

On a related note, the instant classic between #13 Colorado and #18 Oregon State that went to double overtime for the first and probably last time in PAC-12 WBB history has been followed by another exciting matchup: #2 Stanford is up just two with 8 seed Cal going into the fourth quarter of their quarterfinal game. The game is unwatchable exactly where you would think.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 8, 2024

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

elentar posted:

haha I haven’t gotten to my laptop yet to post today’s stuff but theres a bit on how epically bad Pacific is

ok finally

March 7

The West Coast dropped this year mostly because the bottom of the conference—never very strong—got even softer. Pacific in particular is an astoundingly bad team for a multi-bid conference, so bad they trail one-win Detroit Mercy in KP. Anyways St. Mary’s almost ran the table but couldn’t hold court against Gonzaga. The conference desperately needs a tournament champion other than those two, San Francisco is next best but couldn’t beat either in the regular season; Santa Clara managed the only win against the big two. As usual, all other competitors will have to fight through an extra game as well since the WCC parachutes their top two into the semis. Tournament’s in Las Vegas.

editor's note: after today's calamity Pacific is now fully 6 spots behind Detroit Mercy, not trailing also Maryland Eastern Shore, Southeast Missouri State, VMI, Houston Christian, St. Francis (PA), and Lindenwood

The Missouri Valley is always fun and this year’s Arch Madness shouldn’t prove any different. Indiana State is just barely on the right side of the bubble for now and they have a really tremendous oaf who needs an NCAA platform. Drake also has a really good case for an at-large, though they’re more likely to get left off for some power conference failschool. Bradley could cause problems for either, and there’s 3 or 4 others who could gently caress everything up for everyone. All in St. Louis, of course.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

March 8

The Summit usually has a team capable of doing some damage, but not so much this year. Their most interesting is St. Thomas, but they’re ineligible even if they win the Summit tourney. Probably it’ll be 1-seed South Dakota St., but they’re not as good as Jackrabbits of years past. Gets pretty grim for the conference past that point with everyone sub-200 KP. All games are in Sioux Falls, which I guess qualifies as neutral ground among all the Dakota schools.

The no longer Colonial but now Coastal Athletic Association is yet another conference that’s decently strong and competitive but without the sort of team at the top that can panic a blueblood. Charleston would be by far the most fun to watch, the only fast-tempo team (other than bottom squad Hampton) in a very slow conference generally—which is funny since no one in the conference is particularly good at defending. If it’s not Charleston, then it’s probably UNC Wilmington, or Hofstra, or Drexel, one of those teams you’re kinda aware of but never have occasion to think about. Everything will be in DC, other than Las Vegas the most “OK, fine” place to hold a conference tourney.

The Southern Conference, at least, has one interesting team in Samford; the Bulldogs haven’t been to the tournament or even particularly close to it from 2000 to last year, and this should mark the high point of the Bucky McMillan era before he gets poached to a much bigger job this offseason. Unfortunately for them the Southern is no slouch, everyone other than the fake military academies is at least potentially competitive on their day. A good one to keep an eye on—or, hell, to attend if you can, they’re playing in Asheville, which is a great place to kill a few days.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Yesterday Indiana committed to at least 1 more year for Mike Woodson, but they also lost their 1 and only recruit for next year's class.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Yesterday Indiana committed to at least 1 more year for Mike Woodson, but they also lost their 1 and only recruit for next year's class.

I love this.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
idk man IU might never come back. last title 1987, last time getting to or past the elite eight 2002.

only made it to the tourney six times 2009-present

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Antelope Valley in the NAIA tournament despite school's shutdown.

ESPN posted:

Just hours before his school was set to shut down for good, Antelope Valley men's basketball coach Jordan Mast said he was happy the men's and women's basketball teams will get the opportunity to finish the year after raising $40,000 to pay for their postseasons.

They will not, however, have a campus to call home when they return.

Despite its school no longer operating after a government order to "cease operation of all degree programs" by a Friday deadline because of financial mismanagement, Antelope Valley's men's team is a 6-seed that will face 11-seed Huntington (Indiana) in the first round in Glendale, Arizona, on March 15, following Thursday's NAIA tournament bracket reveal. The women's team, which qualified for the NAIA tournament after it won the California Pacific Conference regular-season title, is a 13-seed that will face 4-seed Southern Oregon in Ashland, Oregon, on March 15.

Here's the official decision to close Antelope Valley

Hoo boy. That's a lot of issues.

And a mess. The university was apparently in bad shape two years ago, when it was purchased by Singapore-based Genius Group Limited (that's what/who is referenced in the above PDF). It's not the only arrangement of its type. Salem University in West Virginia is owned by a Singapore group (they'd previously had an arrangement with a Teikyo University), but I can't find a relationship between it and Genius Group.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

women’s big ten tourney update

boom

https://x.com/terpswbb/status/1766186211591266465?s=46

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Guys I think college basketball might be wildly entertaining.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/EvanMiya/status/1766168219969335661/photo/1

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

I don't know how to feel about this. It's factually accurate yet feels slanderous.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Virginia being the worst projected team there feel accurate.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lolhio State Chokeyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Lady Vols beat Bama by 22 hell yeah